Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Up early? Disney TWDC announce something for Anaheim in Tokyo this morning?:D

I would argue there is plenty of chaos regardless.
Lol well chaos is relative. I really don't have many rules on the forum, and I believe posters are given a long leash. But having done this forum for 15 years, I can tell you that politics (and religion) NEVER can be discussed on a forum without descending into chaos. I personally don't give a monkeys about people's US political views. There are plenty of on-topic subjects we can talk about, as proven by the fact the forum had over 5 million posts that are all non-political and non-religious.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You'll disappear again...along with all the posts agreeing you called it right, while the posts taunting you how wrong and sad you are are left untouched.

What's that about, mods?

Are you going go start talking about the gentle soull Pixieduster who was driven off the boards and to a cyber end by vile Spirits such as myself who got tired of him making information up and callingng me and others I respect liars? (of course, I am convinced you were three shades to the wind when you wrote those posts just to get attention, but still ..)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yea I mean I respect Steve but on one side this thread is strictly moderated on the other hand every time I click on this thread there are like 10 pages of off topic discussion by immature posters that have no relevance. It's a head scratcher.

I used to post on miceage and laughingplace but those sites have gone to the dawgs. WDWMagic is one of the last bastion of sophisticated Disney discussion.
As I said before, the whole forum is moderated as little as possible. The obvious posts that run against the few rules we have in the terms of usage get removed. Off topic posts in this thread typically are not removed because the entire thread is more like a chat room. On other threads, some of the off topic would be removed. Perhaps this is where the misunderstanding about whether this thread is moderated or not comes from.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yea I mean I respect Steve but on one side this thread is strictly moderated on the other hand every time I click on this thread there are like 10 pages of off topic discussion by immature posters that have no relevance. It's a head scratcher.

I used to post on miceage and laughingplace but those sites have gone to the dawgs. WDWMagic is one of the last bastion of sophisticated Disney discussion.
That's because Spirit has created a readership but goes for days without posting. If he wants this thread to be nothing but his own ramblings, then perhaps he should start his own column with a link to discussion. I bet Steve would let him submit a news column with a link to further discussion.

Then you could get your fix without submitting yourself to these immature posters

WDW1974

Original Poster
Lol well chaos is relative. I really don't have many rules on the forum, and I believe posters are given a long leash. But having done this forum for 15 years, I can tell you that politics (and religion) NEVER can be discussed on a forum without descending into chaos. I personally don't give a monkeys about people's US political views. There are plenty of on-topic subjects we can talk about, as proven by the fact the forum had over 5 million posts that are all non-political and non-religious.

I appreciate that, Steve. But sometimes the real world issues enter the Disney realm and should be discussed.

The one time I left here for many months I was angry that a thread on SDL and Disney in China had been totally removed because 2-3 people were incapable of discussing it. Considering how HUGE China is as a present and future market for Disney, those issues are going to come up again and again and they need to be talked about in real world terms.

As for religion, I think peoplle are free to believe in whatever fairytales they choose.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I appreciate that, Steve. But sometimes the real world issues enter the Disney realm and should be discussed.

The one time I left here for many months I was angry that a thread on SDL and Disney in China had been totally removed because 2-3 people were incapable of discussing it. Considering how HUGE China is as a present and future market for Disney, those issues are going to come up again and again and they need yo be talked a out in real world terms.

As for religion, I think peoplle are free to believe in whatever fairytales they choose.
I agree, when Disney and politics merge I try to let things progress. Typically though it does not work. You wouldn't believe how worked up people get on reporting political posts. It's like they just were told Santa isn't real.

Captain Neo

I agree, when Disney and politics merge I try to let things progress. Typically though it does not work. You wouldn't believe how worked up people get on reporting political posts. It's like they just were told Santa isn't real.

That's unfortunately a by product of defunding and crippling the education system in certain states in America and the news in our country becoming a mix of propoganda and shock entertainment presented as legitimate news. I can't go into further detail because it would be political but I'm sure you know what i'm talking about.

PhotoDave219

My point was this is the third year in a row, to my memory, with insane NYE like crowds on Saturday. I remember being persuaded into going last year, only to park in a lot so far out I'd never set foot in it before. I've had friends brave every Saturday this year--many of them who would consider themselves "Disney experts" which is what throws me--and all of them report just a sea of humanity.

I'm not saying you have to like it--you don't even have to understand it, because I don't. But to pretend that last Saturday or (come the reports tomorrow) today was unusual is simply no longer the case. F&W draws near capacity crowds. Anyone who thinks differently is out of touch with reality in WDW these days.

But the way, I don't laugh at the closure--I avoid it. I just think treating wall-to-wall crowds on Saturday at F&W these days is like a breathless report that MK might close for capacity on December 26 or that the 10/31 MNSSHP sold out a month early. Maybe the general public can be surprised but if you care enough about the parks to create an account here, you should be aware at this point.

I spent last Sunday in Epcot testing MM+. (Surprise! It worked right... whoa) My group avoided the WS like the plague except for a quick run to Canada come noontime and then to the FP area for Illuminations.

And dear lord did it smell and look like a bar in a college football town at last call....

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's because Spirit has created a readership but goes for days without posting. If he wants this thread to be nothing but his own ramblings, then perhaps he should start his own column with a link to discussion. I bet Steve would let him submit a news column with a link to further discussion.

Then you could get your fix without submitting yourself to these immature posters

If I wanted to be a blogger , then I'd have a blog. And if Steve wanted to feature me in a special 'corner' here then he would have offered and I'd have likely declined.

I do know my voice can be polarizing and that's why I tend to stay in in threads I start or truly newsworthy ones. But still there are folks who will follow me simply to argue with me, insult me or derail topics.

i also believe I look at the company from the big picture, so while this is a WDW-centric site and the best at that) it is only a small piece of the puzzle, so news from ABC or TDR or Pixar Canada all get talked about. I well realize that for some people, their only interest in Disney may be WDW or maybe only one park. I'd rather put it all together and try and figure out what it means. You can't do that starting 23 threads, some that may get loads of hits and others that may get ignored because people are too lazy to look for them.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Let me just ask you guys who regularly use this thread. The thread will always be moderated to the terms of use guidelines. Would you like off topic posts to be removed?

I always sway to the side of letting things go (as you know from our private discussions). But when I start seeing pics of tanks or even cute little animals at keyboards, I sorta think 'this is being posted because they don't have anything else go add).

Your site and your call, ultimately. But maybe more gentle reminders might help.

WDW1974

Original Poster

I would believe it. I live in Florida, Steve!!!

I think the only response to those people I'd have would be you need yo either deal with it, ignore it or take some time away. These people can't be allowed to derail things.

Bolna

Let me just ask you guys who regularly use this thread. The thread will always be moderated to the terms of use guidelines. Would you like off topic posts to be removed?

That's really a difficult question. I love that this thread is kind of the ongoing discussion about all kind of tiny Disney related news. Sometimes it does not interest me at all, like the discussions about new TV shows as I most likely won't see them here in Germany for years. But I still think they do have a place as ABC is quite an important part of TWDC. But then there are often things that are just plain stupid and annoying. But deciding what is still on and what is already off topic is difficult. I sometimes wish posters would just have more self discipline and not jump on every stupidness with 500 replies. Just like not feeding a troll, not feeding a thread derailment would help a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom