Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That is exactly why I tried to bring up MAX. It shows just how far Marvel goes from being acceptable for children with characters they also sell to children. I'm thinking, like with gaming, it hasn't been talked about because it wasn't known about.

That is certainly true, and there is an issue there that deserves some attention to be sure.

But, ultimately, it is still a question regarding creative product. And you could argue about content going back to Old Dead Guy Walt's days.

Disney getting into the gambling business (want to use the word gaming, but that means too much these days) is not about creative decisions or art, it's about exploiting existing IP in a business that runs counter to everything Disney has espoused for decades. The fact they are doing it with no media attention tells you they don't want people talking about it, beyond those playing those slots or buying those lotto tickets.
You certainly make a fair and valid point, though.

But I can guarantee it isn't all hands off with Disney now as is.

Reactions: HMF

misterID

And you know this how? because someone else said so? How about we wait 1 year and see.

Yeah, but these someones have a good track record. From what's described, the Lorax ride will have cars modeled after scooters, the ride will have show scenes with a combo of real sets, AA's, HD3D screens and live effects. I'm going to give that some creedence, until there's sound reason not to.

Captain Neo

Spider-man is technically a dark ride... Also, read the ENTIRE sentence about Lorax.. It will include sets and AA's.. just as the other rides you describe.. therefore, Lorax is and will be a dark ride...

What sentence are you refering to?

Apparently you never watched Jurassic park where, you know, they do visit Amber Mines.. Therefore, it fits the theme...

If by "they" you mean there is a brief scene that shows men in South America digging inside an Amber mine for mosquitos not on the actual park Island or even Site B and there are no roller coasters either. It makes about as much sense to be in Jurassic Park as Monsters Inc. does in Tomorrowland.

I suggest next time you watch (or dare I say read) Jurassic Park you pay more attention to what's going on.

The only things which don't make sense there are the incoming carnival games... And no one in the online community is giving Universal a pass on adding those eye sores...

Well at least there is that

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wasn't told anything about Toon Lagoon but the Lorax attraction was described as being something similar to Shrek 4D and Despicable Me so I guess it could be a simulator rather than just a 3D movie but honestly either way it sounds like yet another attraction where guests stare at video screens.

As for Jurassic park the carnival games are already under construction and Uni Creative is already gearing up for the new attraction which i've been told (and Hatetofly over at the Uni forums was told) is still a roller coaster around an amber mine. Are you sure your not referring to that other roller coaster idea for JP called Raptor Racers or something? I know that was scrapped awhile ago. Either way coasters have no place in JP as far as i'm concerned.

Neo, you need to sit back and relax a bit. I think you may be very pleasantly surprised by what is coming to both JP and SL.

If they were 'pulling a Disney' here, then I'd be ripping them ...do you see me doing that?

Captain Neo

Yeah, but these someones have a good track record. From what's described, the Lorax ride will have cars modeled after scooters, the ride will have show scenes with a combo of real sets, AA's, HD3D screens and live effects. I'm going to give that some creedence, until there's sound reason not to.

But think about that for a second. If the ride is going to have HD3D screens that would mean you would have to wear 3D glasses through the ride which would be odd if there are real sets and AA's because then your wearing 3D glasses that are obstructing your vision for no reason. What are they gonna do have a voice keep telling you to put glasses on or off? There is a reason no attraction does this it's either/or.

Captain Neo

Neo, you need to sit back and relax a bit. I think you may be very pleasantly surprised by what is coming to both JP and SL.

If they were 'pulling a Disney' here, then I'd be ripping them ...do you see me doing that?

No and frankly you are the only reason i'm not in full blown panic mode right now. You have to admit though that removing a chunk of the JPRA queue just to put in more carnival games and Hatetofly's mention that they want to add more merchandise and food carts in the area is sad news and kind of reminds me of Pressler era Disney.

Soarin' Over Pgh

No and frankly you are the only reason i'm not in full blown panic mode right now. You have to admit though that removing a chunk of the JPRA queue just to put in more carnival games and Hatetofly's mention that they want to add more merchandise and food carts in the area is sad news and kind of reminds me of Pressler era Disney.

Synergy!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wanted to point out that even Universal is not currently infallible when it comes to construction timelines. It has been 2 years since the Harry Potter announcement for USH. They are looking at a ~4 1/2 year timeline for a clone from announcement to completion.

It seems the scenarios are reversed on either coast.

USH has different needs.

First, there is a very different building code in earthquake country. Then, there is the issue that not only is there Potter, and it isn't a complete clone of Potter 1.0 as it will have added elements, but they are essentially totally redoing the entrance of the park a la DCA AND doing a load of work on City Walk.

But even if that were all they were doing, I'd say that looks like 4 1/2 years of work. Fantasyland does not.
they are building an entire resort in Shanghai in less time.

misterID

But think about that for a second. If the ride is going to have HD3D screens that would mean you would have to wear 3D glasses through the ride which would be odd if there are real sets and AA's because then your wearing 3D glasses that are obstructing your vision for no reason. What are they gonna do have a voice keep telling you to put glasses on or off? There is a reason no attraction does this it's either/or.

I don't know how it would work because all I know is what I posted, I don't know the details. But Uni did it with Kong. You don't use the glasses until the climax.

Captain Chaos

What sentence are you refering to?
It has been posted here several times already, so you are either purposely ignoring it cause it proves you to be wrong, or you just cannot comprehend anything beyond what your brain wants to you.. But here it is: "Lorax RV's are rumored to be themed Scooters that will utilize a motion base along a track with 4KHD3D media, AA's, large sets, and live fx"... Sounds more like a dark ride to me than a simulator or 3D show...

Lee pretty much backed this up, as did 74... I'll take HTF, Lee and 74's info over you any day...

If by "they" you mean there is a brief scene that shows men in South America digging inside an Amber mine for mosquitos not on the actual park Island or even Site B and there are no roller coasters either. It makes about as much sense to be in Jurassic Park as Monsters Inc. does in Tomorrowland.

Who cares if the "scientists, researchers, miners, whoever were in South American mines? That has nothing to do with IOA's JP back story... IOA's Jurassic Park is yet another research facility.. Who is to say there are no Amber Mines at this location? it is a story... Amber Mines make sense and can fit into the backstory of JP in Orlando... Just because you don't want it to fit, or have no capacity for any creative thinking, or imagination, doesn't mean amber mines do not fit the theme of JP... they do, it does.. Get over it...

I suggest next time you watch (or dare I say read) Jurassic Park you pay more attention to what's going on.

I have, several times, thank you very much... And amber mines fit the theme.... And make much more sense than Monsters in a land based off of space sci-fi, much more sense than Tattooine in the middle of the city of Hollywood, and much more sense than Pandora in the middle animal kingdom...

TalkingHead

Isn't that how Gringott's is going to work? A mix of 3D, AAs, and physical sets?

Pure speculation on my part, but it sounds like Uni Creative might be taking what they're learning with Gringott's and modifying it for Lorax.

WDW1974

Original Poster

I knew Paul Pressler. I liked him as a person. I was very close to a lot of folks who worked under him during that dark period.

What is going on at UNI can in no way be compared to that era at Disney. No, I don't like everything they have done and I expect I won,t like everything they do. But looking at the big picture I see an amazingly joyous future for the resort.

magicallactose

I understand why you might think this based on the way a lot of 3D attractions have been attempted in the past (Muppet vision, Star Tours, Soaring, The Simpsons Ride, Shrek). These largely involve staring at a screen with a few practical effects mixed in. If you'd ridden The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman, then I think you see how mixing a dark ride track with real sets and convincing 3D animation can create an amazing and groundbreaking dark ride.

I know you are about to protest that Spiderman and Transformers are thin on practical sets and do not feature animatronics, which is what you consider a satisfying dark ride experience. But based on some of the insider comments not only about the Lorax ride, but also about the upcoming Gringott's ride, Universal is going to be taking the dark ride to the next level in terms of mixing technologies to create an immersive experience. Others have already stated that both Lorax and Gringotts will involve wearing 3D glasses, yes. But these same insiders have said that both will ALSO include large scale sets and lots of animatronics, perhaps even mixed together at the same time. This is something that we have never experienced before, and I have a feeling it will be pretty spectacular (granted, I am in no way an insider, so I don't know for sure).

Captain Neo

Isn't that how Gringott's is going to work? A mix of 3D, AAs, and physical sets?

Pure speculation on my part, but it sounds like Uni Creative might be taking what they're learning with Gringott's and modifying it for Lorax.

I really don't think so. You can't have a ride that is half 3D screens and half full sets and AA's unless they've found a way to do big screen 3D without glasses and I highly doubt that (only the people at WED Enterprises could have figured that out given the time but they aren't around anymore).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom