Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

twebber55

I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. Yes, UNI is building. But I think when UNI get's to the size of WDW, then you can compare and say well at least UNI is building something...
thats an interesting perspective and a good argument against UNI....we ve been going to Uni more often as of late because of the new additions.....so even though WDW has more stuff that stuff is the same ol same ol...not a disney bash just being honest... we re going back to the world next June

really the debate comes down to this...do you want bigger more stuff to do but stuff thats you ve already been doing or do you want smaller but constantly adding stuff to do

again not bashing think its an interesting debate

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A water ride in the Studios? Haven't read that one yet... Interesting though...

There is also a new rumor that IOA may get Mt. Crumpit (Grinch) after Lorax... I love rumors, but sometimes, they do drive you nuts!!!

Lorax would be an excellent fit for Seuss landing, And the book tells a story about conservation and misuse of resources WITHOUT being preachy (unlike say Avatar...)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
thats an interesting perspective and a good argument against UNI....we ve been going to Uni more often as of late because of the new additions.....so even though WDW has more stuff that stuff is the same ol same ol...not a disney bash just being honest... we re going back to the world next June

really the debate comes down to this...do you want bigger more stuff to do but stuff thats you ve already been doing or do you want smaller but constantly adding stuff to do

Personally, I would like to see a steady stream of small unique stuff which is one of the things that DL does really well and UNI is catching up in that regard The spinner in springfield for instance Disney would tout it as the greatest thing since canned beer UNI is treating it like Disney of old a PLUS feature part of the landscaping.

Getting new E-Tickets is great but an E-Ticket needs to last 10-20 years and integration into the park is a big deal, I'm not giving Disney a pass on this 3 years for a family coaster that's just insane.

We have a 100+ y/o park up here 'Canobie Lake' and it got a similar coaster done in single new England winter with several feet of snow to hose up construction.

willtravel

I have read here about the "Eisner decade" and all of the building that went on. Whether you like or dislike what was built, things were built/refurbished. Then I think WDW just sat back and made profit. Then UNI built Potter and WDW had to counter with something FLE. Everything is going to get old. Once you have been on ride/attraction it's a been there, done it. Except for an attraction like RNR or TOT. No one seems to complain about them getting old and something new has to go in space. People get mad when an attraction gets torn down and something new put in. Other people say, old, not interested......

lebeau

For the Love of God, if you do not want to suffer, do something else. There are plenty of other places willing to take your money, maybe even some you would all enjoy.

I was waiting for someone to jump on that word. I'm partially kidding when I say that.

The chapter on taking kids to Disney World in the Unofficial Guide is called "The Ecstacy and the Agony" for good reason. I love going to Disney with the family and I look forward to taking them back in a few years. But there is also some suffering involved.

Long term, I am looking forward to the days when they are old enough to fully appreciate Universal. That's a long way in the future. But in 5 or 10 years, we may actually have outgrown Disney World.

WildcatDen

I am curious. Not been to the New Fantasy Land yet but, for comparison's sake, how does the Rockwork in that area and the 7 Dwarves Mine Coaster stack up against Potter? Transformers? Now, I would love to see Disney build on a pace closer to UNI but is the level and the overall amount of detail required in the rockwork a longer process than throwing up a building? Even if that building is themed? Case in point, LOVED the Despicable Me ride and the interior theming but other than a basic facade of Gru's house, the rest was a billboard on a building. I guess, instead of the detail Disney did on Haunted Mansion, they could have slapped some plywood up on a building side and called it a day? Did I mention I loved the Despicable Me ride and to be truthful, was very impressed with IOA and USF. Just saying that besides Disney ammortizing the build over a longer period, maybe their methods take longer as well?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have read here about the "Eisner decade" and all of the building that went on. Whether you like or dislike what was built, things were built/refurbished. Then I think WDW just sat back and made profit. Then UNI built Potter and WDW had to counter with something FLE. Everything is going to get old. Once you have been on ride/attraction it's a been there, done it. Except for an attraction like RNR or TOT. No one seems to complain about them getting old and something new has to go in space. People get mad when an attraction gets torn down and something new put in. Other people say, old, not interested......

People get mad when popular attractions are torn down and replaced with Meet-n-Greet's, When there is something new to take the place of the old not so much, Classic examples being 20,000 Leagues (Ariel), Snow White (some random princess), Mr Toad I could drone on,

DL replaced a LOT of attractions in the early days - but there was always something new to replace the old, now we get attraction offline and bupkis to replace it at WDW. To a lot of us this represents a dimunition of value.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am curious. Not been to the New Fantasy Land yet but, for comparison's sake, how does the Rockwork in that area and the 7 Dwarves Mine Coaster stack up against Potter? Transformers? Now, I would love to see Disney build on a pace closer to UNI but is the level and the overall amount of detail required in the rockwork a longer process than throwing up a building? Even if that building is themed? Case in point, LOVED the Despicable Me ride and the interior theming but other than a basic facade of Gru's house, the rest was a billboard on a building. I guess, instead of the detail Disney did on Haunted Mansion, they could have slapped some plywood up on a building side and called it a day? Did I mention I loved the Despicable Me ride and to be truthful, was very impressed with IOA and USF. Just saying that besides Disney ammortizing the build over a longer period, maybe their methods take longer as well?

The rockwork would get me laughed out of my model railroading club, It looks shiny and fake, The glossy finish is probably to reduce maintenance requirements but it's on par with Blizzard Beach

lebeau

You know, there are non-thrill rides that have stood the test of time. Some are much older than the two you mentioned.

*cough*Mansion*cough*

lebeau

For the record, their is suffering involved going to Kohl's as well.

I guess, there are some, myself included, that hopes my kids (an even my wife and I) do not "Outgrow" Disney.

Dude, I won't step foot in Kohl's! ;)

I hope my family never fully outgrows Disney. If you'd have asked me as recently as 5 years ago, I'd have said it would never happen. But now, I can see it as a definite possibility.

I'll never say I'm never going back. Eventually, I expect there will be grandkids to take. Or Disney will right the ship. But instead of going every couple years or so, it might be something we do every 5-7 years. Or we'll split time with Universal and other attractions.

WildcatDen

The rockwork would get me laughed out of my model railroading club, It looks shiny and fake, The glossy finish is probably to reduce maintenance requirements but it's on par with Blizzard Beach

OK, you are saying the quality of the rockwork is poor. I suppose my point was, even if the quality is poor in some people's opinion, does it take longer than a box frame building? Making excuses, I know, but I guess that is playing a part in the time frame as well as the cost, assuming these workers get paid by the hour (or the job was bid at X amount of hours. . .)

lebeau

If you want to see beautiful rockwork, the Fantasyland Expansion is THE place to be. Problem is, once you get past the beautiful rockwork, there's not a lot else there.

WildcatDen

If you want to see beautiful rockwork, the Fantasyland Expansion is THE place to be. Problem is, once you get past the beautiful rockwork, there's not a lot else there.

That is what I heard. Heading down with Marching Band next April. Looking forward to it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Now, I would love to see Disney build on a pace closer to UNI but is the level and the overall amount of detail required in the rockwork a longer process than throwing up a building?

Just like women... you may admire it for it's beauty, but if it's an airhead, you won't keep coming back.

Disney has been so focused on ornate details lately, they've forgotten the essence of the actual attractions. It's all too common lately... throw as much detail as you can at it.. and people still walk away disappointed.

Travel Junkie

Not sure when they actually started work on the mine train itself, but New Fantasyland broke ground in early 2010 which means it would be about 4 years of construction. (Again if they started the mine train at the same time. Someone out there knows better than me.)

For comparison's sake it took Disney 3 years (official groundbreaking to open) to build all of Carsland which was a much larger rockwork project. So Disney can work faster when they want to. They chose to spread this one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom