Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clever Name

That is my problem with Marvel and the Comics industry in general, rather than building a big inter-connected fictional Universe Ala, Star Wars, They have 30+ different continuities. That to me feels contrived and fake. I want to be immersed in a different believable world. Numerous continuities tells me that you don't take your world seriously so why should I? It's like somebody announcing it is all fake. You know it's all fake but you can believe it because there are no Inconsistencies.
The universe is either really, really big but finite or it could be infinite. We don't know yet. The laws of physics and the size of the cosmos give every indication that parallel universes exist. The building blocks may be similar but the randomness of evolution will produce beings that would be hard for us to imagine. 30+ different continuities? Try billions and billions for a start.

nytimez

If Disney is serious about culling the numbers of credentialed bloggers, then using these relatively objective criteria is an effective way to go about it.

There is a sharp drop-off in traffic (based on Twitter and Facebook numbers) between something like Behind the Thrills (~5000 Twitter followers and ~4000 FB likes) and Inside the Magic (~28000 Twitter followers and ~24000 FB likes). Superficially, the two sites are a lot alike: they not only have similar-sounding names, but are formatted similarly and cover a similar range of topics.

The big difference, of course, is the fact that I'd never heard of Behind the Thrills... before now.

And this method should also be pretty effective at weeding out relatively new bloggers who started their sites solely or primarily to get free stuff. However, I wonder how many of today's most reputable/well-trafficked sites started out as labors of love, but essentially transformed into personal gravy trains and swag factories for owners who would have quit the blogging business long ago if not for Disney's pandering in recent years to the socially-connected quasi-"media."

Definitely.

Although... I can't help but wonder how much of the traffic of certain sites is driven by the fact that they get info and access from Disney that others don't. Are these more popular blogs truly independent sources of information... or the digital equivalent of puppet regimes?

Kuhio

Although... I can't help but wonder how much of the traffic of certain sites is driven by the fact that they get info and access from Disney that others don't. Are these more popular blogs truly independent sources of information... or the digital equivalent of puppet regimes?

In many cases, I definitely think it's a case of the rich getting richer: if you had the luck or foresight to start a Disney lifestyle blog 7 or 8 years ago and garner enough of an initial following, it's possible to have gotten onto Disney's radar at the earliest possible opportunity. With a much smaller pool of competing sites/blogs in the early years of the "lifestyler" phenomenon, the ones who were on the ground floor had a huge leg up in terms of access to information that the fanbase -- then starting to grow rapidly on social media -- craved.

Once some of the earliest-established sites gained a reputation for having direct access to Disney, it would have been natural that those same sites only grew in popularity as Disney continued to nourish them with continued or even increased info and access. At some point, the relationship between the company and the fan site becomes so mutually beneficial -- and the constant stream of perks and benefits becomes such a natural and intrinsic part of that relationship -- that it's virtually impossible for the blogger/site owner not to view the company as something akin to a benevolent employer. Under the circumstances, for a blogger/site owner to even consider doing anything inconsistent with the best interests of the Disney company would be tantamount to self-sabotage -- it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to draw the line between personal and corporate interests, as the two would have become almost inextricably intertwined.

PhotoDave219

If Disney is serious about culling the numbers of credentialed bloggers, then using these relatively objective criteria is an effective way to go about it.

There is a sharp drop-off in traffic (based on Twitter and Facebook numbers) between something like Behind the Thrills (~5000 Twitter followers and ~4000 FB likes) and Inside the Magic (~28000 Twitter followers and ~24000 FB likes). Superficially, the two sites are a lot alike: they not only have similar-sounding names, but are formatted similarly and cover a similar range of topics.

The big difference, of course, is the fact that I'd never heard of Behind the Thrills... before now.

And this method should also be pretty effective at weeding out relatively new bloggers who started their sites solely or primarily to get free stuff. However, I wonder how many of today's most reputable/well-trafficked sites started out as labors of love, but essentially transformed into personal gravy trains and swag factories for owners who would have quit the blogging business long ago if not for Disney's pandering in recent years to the socially-connected quasi-"media."

I'm talking Google Analytics and unique page views per 24 hours. Not twitter, not facebook but straight up web traffic.

PhotoDave219

Also access is key. Blogger or MSM, access is the name of the game.

Kuhio

Since we've been on the topic of gambling and adult-themed entertainment and the Disney image, I note that Holly Madison is having a Rapunzel-themed wedding at Disneyland next week. Needless to say, getting married at Disneyland is not only expensive, but also subject to the Disney company's final approval.

Per Wikipedia, Holly is "widely known for being one of Hugh Hefner's girlfriends on the reality television series The Girls Next Door," also known as The Girls of the Playboy Mansion. Although she was not a Playboy Playmate, "she has appeared in nude pictorials with her Girls Next Door costars, Bridget Marquardt and Kendra Wilkinson." Holly also "starred in a topless burlesque show called Peepshow at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas." (She has a previous tie to the Disney company -- she appeared on the eighth season of ABC's Dancing with the Stars.)

Not that I think appearing in a nude pictorial or a reality TV show about life in the Playboy Mansion is morally abhorrent, but it's certainly not something that resonates strongly with the traditional image that the Disney company had in Walt Disney's lifetime. And Ms. Madison seems nice enough, but if I were explaining to my child who this lucky person is who's getting married at Disneyland, I would probably leave out the part about the nude pictorials and the topless burlesque and such.

Captain Neo

So I just found out about those big "mega attractions" coming to Universal in the next few years:

-Jurassic park is basically gonna become Dinoland U.S.A. with new Carnival games and more food/merchandise carts where carnival hucksters can sell more crap to people. This is in addition to the random hair braiding stations and rock climbing wall that are junking up that area BTW. The big "e-ticket" will be a roller coaster thats themed to look like its racing through an amber mine. Universal is also considering adding a spinner to the land. What any of this has to do with the theme of a zoological theme park filled with Dinosaurs I have no idea. Forget any dreams that they would dig out lavish concepts like the Jeep adventure or Helicoptours or some new Dinosaur adventure.

-IOA will also be getitng a Lorax 3D movie in Suess Landing.

Seems like after Harry Potter Universal is gonna start following the Eisner/Iger model of doing business.

PhotoDave219

Since we've been on the topic of gambling and adult-themed entertainment and the Disney image, I note that Holly Madison is having a Rapunzel-themed wedding at Disneyland next week. Needless to say, getting married at Disneyland is not only expensive, but also subject to the Disney company's final approval.

Per Wikipedia, Holly is "widely known for being one of Hugh Hefner's girlfriends on the reality television series The Girls Next Door," also known as The Girls of the Playboy Mansion. Although she was not a Playboy Playmate, "she has appeared in nude pictorials with her Girls Next Door costars, Bridget Marquardt and Kendra Wilkinson." Holly also "starred in a topless burlesque show called Peepshow at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas." (She has a previous tie to the Disney company -- she appeared on the eighth season of ABC's Dancing with the Stars.)

Not that I think appearing in a nude pictorial or a reality TV show about life in the Playboy Mansion is morally abhorrent, but it's certainly not something that resonates strongly with the traditional image that the Disney company had in Walt Disney's lifetime. And Ms. Madison seems nice enough, but if I were explaining to my child who this lucky person is who's getting married at Disneyland, I would probably leave out the part about the nude pictorials and the topless burlesque and such.

Well I'd be more then happy to photograph her wedding if she's willing to pay....

GiveMeTheMusic

Disney doesn't care who you are or what you did as long as you can pay. I mean, Charles Manson might get a flat no, but then again, if he paid double, he might not. Holly is a huge Disney nut and has spent a lot of money at DLR in the past - she will get whatever she wants for her huge wedding.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
The universe is either really, really big but finite or it could be infinite. We don't know yet. The laws of physics and the size of the cosmos give every indication that parallel universes exist. The building blocks may be similar but the randomness of evolution will produce beings that would be hard for us to imagine. 30+ different continuities? Try billions and billions for a start.
? This thread has just left the building.

alissafalco

So I just found out about those big "mega attractions" coming to Universal in the next few years:

-Jurassic park is basically gonna become Dinoland U.S.A. with new Carnival games and more food/merchandise carts where carnival hucksters can sell more crap to people. This is in addition to the random hair braiding stations and rock climbing wall that are junking up that area BTW. The big "e-ticket" will be a roller coaster thats themed to look like its racing through an amber mine. Universal is also considering adding a spinner to the land. What any of this has to do with the theme of a zoological theme park filled with Dinosaurs I have no idea. Forget any dreams that they would dig out lavish concepts like the Jeep adventure or Helicoptours or some new Dinosaur adventure.

-IOA will also be getitng a Lorax 3D movie in Suess Landing.

Seems like after Harry Potter Universal is gonna start following the Eisner/Iger model of doing business.

Oh no, I hope you're wrong.... Ugh

alissafalco

Disney doesn't care who you are or what you did as long as you can pay. I mean, Charles Manson might get a flat no, but then again, if he paid double, he might not. Holly is a huge Disney nut and has spent a lot of money at DLR in the past - she will get whatever she wants for her huge wedding.

Anyone who names their daughter Rainbow is an idiot. Also, her fiance is in some serious legal/financial trouble, so I'm sure shes footing the bill.

stevehousse

If Uni was smart and was trying to continue to "one up" Disney as people on here love to claim, don't you think they would be building a great dark ride for the Lorax instead on another 3d film attraction? Or another great dinosaur attraction for JP?!?

BradyNBradleysMom

If Uni was smart and was trying to continue to "one up" Disney as people on here love to claim, don't you think they would be building a great dark ride for the Lorax instead on another 3d film attraction? Or another great dinosaur attraction for JP?!?

I am curious to see what the response to these Universal moves will be from the ranks of those who think Universal can do no wrong and that Disney can't do anything right. Universal never built the Jurassic Park Jeep Ride that people have been dreaming about riding since the first movie came out back in 1993...and they never built that helicopter simulator ride that sounded amazing. The "Amber Coaster" sounds like it's something along the lines of the Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster...which is a ride that constantly gets panned and mocked by Universal fans (and it hasn't even opened yet). A Lorax 3D-movie sounds lame...but would indeed be a great dark ride. Universal seems to rely a lot on 3D motion simulators, but the anti-Disney crowd never seems to criticize Universal for always repeating the 3D movie thing instead of doing a well-designed dark ride.

Whatever happened to that "Grinch Mountain" coaster that Universal was supposed to build for an expansion of the Seuss Landing area? When Disney "goes cheap" and doesn't build something impressive and instead chooses a cheaper option, it gets pummeled...so will Universal get any flack for not building the "Grinch coaster" and instead going cheap with yet another 3D movie ride? I think some people have too much fun bashing Disney's every move to hold Universal equally accountable.

Mike C

I am curious to see what the response to these Universal moves will be from the ranks of those who think Universal can do no wrong and that Disney can't do anything right. Universal never built the Jurassic Park Jeep Ride that people have been dreaming about riding since the first movie came out back in 1993...and they never built that helicopter simulator ride that sounded amazing. The "Amber Coaster" sounds like it's something along the lines of the Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster...which is a ride that constantly gets panned and mocked by Universal fans (and it hasn't even opened yet). A Lorax 3D-movie sounds lame...but would indeed be a great dark ride. Universal seems to rely a lot on 3D motion simulators, but the anti-Disney crowd never seems to criticize Universal for always repeating the 3D movie thing instead of doing a well-designed dark ride.

Whatever happened to that "Grinch Mountain" coaster that Universal was supposed to build for an expansion of the Seuss Landing area? When Disney "goes cheap" and doesn't build something impressive and instead chooses a cheaper option, it gets pummeled...so will Universal get any flack for not building the "Grinch coaster" and instead going cheap with yet another 3D movie ride? I think some people have too much fun bashing Disney's every move to hold Universal equally accountable.

I think it has more to do with the fact that in the time span of Disney's (rumored) new projects getting running, the other parks with have 6 major new attractions open that we know about (there will be more even) along with a handful of minor additions, and a new hotel. Also, there are some wrong rumors going around, especially about Seuss and Jurassic Park. What Neo mentioned about both areas seem to be incorrect.

The simulator thing is odd to me since Universal only has 2 true motion sims (Simpsons and Despicable me) and Disney has more.

Last edited:

WDWDad13

exactly....well said - I believe we'll hear a lot of crickets on this

WDWDad13

Well at least UNI's building something besides themed bathrooms... No I have not been to UNI since a corporate event at IOA a decade ago but it seems that Disney is conducting its side of the 'Theme Park Wars' in the French manner ie surrendering before battle is even joined.

I think the first thing we need to all understand is there is no war. They all build we all win

Also Disney is planning many things down the road....we just have to wait longer than we'd all like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom