Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

71jason

Are the testers still getting dual access to both FP and FP+? And, if so, will that end by 9/3 (or 10/31)?

Don't know, but would assume so. No word about APs or day guests, so presumably keeping the machines around a little longer. And woe to guest relations if a deluxe resort can't use those machines.

Fe Maiden

Some of the tickets were paper but a lot of plastic ones were failing as well. So a lot of non Magical tickets are still coming in or the the system is still having issues. This is still the test time but I really looked around for probably 10 minutes and did not see a single guest wearing a band. The new entry was opened last December and it looks like a confused mob scene trying to get in the park. Maybe I was there at a bad or busy time but I was not impressed with speed or guest service.

It took us a few days for our tickets to be loaded on to our KTTW cards. The concierge desk at BLT couldn't load them on check in. The simple explanation was that at this point the computers have moved on from the old ticketing system and want everything to be Magic Bands and its causing some headaches. Since I didn't want to carry around key cards and tickets for 6 people I went back a day later and they were able to load them on. It was tedious however, took them about 40 minutes to get them all on. Of course the next day everyone in my party got into AK except for me. They directed me over to guest services, which temporarily fixed the problem and gave us an anytime/any ride FP for our trouble. Their explanation was that the ticket could be read with the black stripe but wasn't being read by the chip. After another trip to the concierge desk my card was fixed with no other problems the rest of the trip.

As far as the new turnstiles, I thought they were great aside from the one issue I had. We were a party of six with 3 kids and it was nice to be able to hand them their cards, even my 4yo, and have them proceed onto the other side of the gates. They caught on right away. I didn't notice a lot of people having problems, more caught off guard by the look of the new towers and how to use them.

wogwog

My like is for the messenger not the message. Thanks for the update. I was hoping to sneak in this November for 1 last trip without FP+. Looks like I'm going to be a test subject for sure now.

I read a good part of the threads dealing with the bands. I recall some folks saying they were allowed to opt out of bands and just use a card. Does that choice knock you out of any of the "goodies"? Don't know. I never intend to use a band so I did not really pay attention.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I read a good part of the threads dealing with the bands. I recall some folks saying they were allowed to opt out of bands and just use a card. Does that choice knock you out of any of the "goodies"? Don't know. I never intend to use a band so I did not really pay attention.

I don't really mind the bands, but I think you can opt to have just a card which does pretty much the same things (hotel door, park entry, pay at registers, etc...). I just don't want to have to deal with glitches while I'm trying to enjoy my vacation. Never buy a new car model the first year it's out. They usually take a little while to get the glitches out.

scpergj

Finally...I've FINALLY got caught up with this thread!

I've been working 12 hour shifts 3 then 4 days a week, so every time I think I've got caught up, I end up working and not being able to read many posts, and end up 10-15 pages behind per day.

So...here is how my family is dealing with all of this. We will be in Orlando this Saturday for the day, and plan on hanging out at whatever the former Downtown Disney is being called these days for a few hours - the kids requested it.

Normally, this is the time of the year we purchase the vouchers for our AP's, and I would normally have made reservations at a WDW hotel for mid-October. Not this year; we have had some financial setbacks (both my wife and I ended up loosing our jobs - we are working, but she took a pretty large pay cut) and don't have quite the extra money available - we could afford it, but it would be very tight. Second, our oldest is now a sophomore in high school, and in band - which means marching band, and no weekends off until early November. Third...we've grown bored with Disney. Nothing new (we saw FLE and Under the Sea last fall and were not impressed), and we have all noticed the upkeep is not near what it was when we started going 13 years ago with our kids - or when the two of us started going in the mid - 90's, or when I visited as a child starting in 1972. We WANT to be a Disney family - we have been a Disney family - but they have done nothing to keep us. We used to be able to afford going to the buffets once or twice a year, but about 5 years ago they priced us out of that. My favorite moderate resort is POFQ, and we used to get in there for less than $120 a night several times a year...last time we stayed there it was something like $160 a night, which is crazy. AP costs have gone way up, benefits have gone down...basically, Disney has shown that they don't care for loyal customers like us any longer.

To that add what PF+ is rumoured to bring to the table for AP holders, and we're done. Disney has to win us back somehow. Would StarWars land do it? Maybe - although SWMBO is a Trekkie (kids and I are StarWars all the way). CarsLand? Probably, especially if done in addition to StarWars land. Magic Bands that can track us all over the property, time our bathroom breaks (nobody said that - I'm just making that one up, but the datapoints will be available!), track our spending further than usual, determine when we leave the property (and also when we enter the property), allow CM's access to as much personal information as Disney has on us...um, no, that won't bring us back. Quality show and update will.

Stepping off of my chocolate martini fueled soapbox now...

wogwog

I don't really mind the bands, but I think you can opt to have just a card which does pretty much the same things (hotel door, park entry, pay at registers, etc...). I just don't want to have to deal with glitches while I'm trying to enjoy my vacation. Never buy a new car model the first year it's out. They usually take a little while to get the glitches out.

The glitches do not always get taken out. Remember the '57 Edsel or New Coke?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So do I have this right? This thing is such a mess that a bunch of programmers were recently fired, but its rolling out in 5 days to 35,000 hotel room?

Yeah, okay. Sounds credible to me.

You dont understand Iger and Staggs said its done, Said something along the lines of don't bother me with that technical mumbo-jumbo and the suits at Disney IT just nodded their heads and figured we would not notice the glitches in the sea of issues that is Disney IT

spaceghost

FUNNY BUT TRUE SPIRITED NEWS

Apparently, the team of Guest Services staff that is handling issues with guests over MM+ issues has a name ...they are being called The Avengers.
Whoa, whoa, whoa here. Does Universal know about this? This is dangerously close to having Marvel characters in the parks! ;)

(Obligatory wink added for those folks that have trouble with sarcasm. Want to save myself the unnecessary responses up front!)

scpergj

They worked the glitches out with New Coke...they came out with Coca Cola Classic. Maybe FP classic is in our future:)
Interesting you bring up New Coke and Coke Classic.

Short version of a very, very long story...

Many years ago I worked for one of the major food companies, in a laboratory. One of our technical services people told me how that entire process happened...and it was planned, from beginning to end. The entire New Coke failure wasn't expected, but the 'rollback' was indeed planned. Essentially, New Coke was never expected to work.

Wonder if MagicBands are Disney's New Coke?

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Spoke with some locals who have AP's....they just spent a couple days at Pop, no package and everything seems to have worked fine. Their AP's were on their MagicBands, their doors at the hotel opened fine, entry to the parks went without a hitch, they were able to charge food and merchandise with no problems and all their FP+ choices worked fine. Hopefully things are starting to get sorted out. The only group I haven't read any reports from are the DVC-ers, of which I'm one. I have a 4 day solo trip at Pop starting in three weeks and I'm not worried about that one, but my wife, daughter and I are using our points for a trip in October. So far I've linked our passes (and my daughters DVC Premium AP voucher-couldn't believe it recognized that), and made FP+ choices, etc....Keeping my fingers crossed that the system has the bugs out by then. That October trip will be the test (for us), as we don't like pre-planning our days. Years ago when the DDP was new, we bought in for our 10 days on property, and hated the fact that our days were dictated by our restaurant reservations. Anyway, I made FP+ choices with the intent of changing things on the fly. It's my expectation that while the FP+ system may work fine, the choices of attractions will be the least desirable. While this wouldn't ruin our trip (we're going mainly for Food and Wine-not attractions), it'll be a great gauge of what a WDW vacation will look like from here on in.

Captain Chaos

Spoke with some locals who have AP's....they just spent a couple days at Pop, no package and everything seems to have worked fine. Their AP's were on their MagicBands, their doors at the hotel opened fine, entry to the parks went without a hitch, they were able to charge food and merchandise with no problems and all their FP+ choices worked fine. Hopefully things are starting to get sorted out. The only group I haven't read any reports from are the DVC-ers, of which I'm one. I have a 4 day solo trip at Pop starting in three weeks and I'm not worried about that one, but my wife, daughter and I are using our points for a trip in October. So far I've linked our passes (and my daughters DVC Premium AP voucher-couldn't believe it recognized that), and made FP+ choices, etc....Keeping my fingers crossed that the system has the bugs out by then. That October trip will be the test (for us), as we don't like pre-planning our days. Years ago when the DDP was new, we bought in for our 10 days on property, and hated the fact that our days were dictated by our restaurant reservations. Anyway, I made FP+ choices with the intent of changing things on the fly. It's my expectation that while the FP+ system may work fine, the choices of attractions will be the least desirable. While this wouldn't ruin our trip (we're going mainly for Food and Wine-not attractions), it'll be a great gauge of what a WDW vacation will look like from here on in.

What resort are you staying in during your October trip? I'm booked for October as well and cannot seem to get any FP+ access at all.. in fact, I log onto MDE and get a message that my party is not eligible for FP+ since the dates of my trip do not fall into a certain time frame... Meanwhile, I am within 55 days, already did online check in and linked my tickets as well... No option for Magic Bands or FP+....

wogwog

They worked the glitches out with New Coke...they came out with Coca Cola Classic. Maybe FP classic is in our future:)

Does anyone have a phone number for Fix It Felix Jr? Please send the number to the Mickey Mouse Minus people and ask them to get him and the hammer on the project.

BryceM

Georgia wins because it's only amusement park is a Six Flags.
paranoid.gif

Just kidding, I've only lived in one state for my entire life.
Oh, you're forgetting Georgia's best... Wild Adventures!

:grumpy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom