Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

Oh gosh we covered this 30 pages ago.

Disney Infinity is already tied to your Disney.com account. In order to get a Magic Band and use the features, you have to have...a Disney.com membership. If they wanted to connect the data between the two they don't need to you to scan your bracelet, ROFL. They already have the data. And since people are openly trading bracelets (it just needs to read one to unlock the special feature), it would be incorrect data, even if they captured it.

The only data on that bracelet is a personal identifier code. None of your data is on that bracelet. Letting Disney Infinity know what # is on that bracelet is irrelevant, since both are already tied to your Disney.com account.

Seriously - the people who are worried about this - do you write checks? If you do, you are making an electronic payment anyway - the only difference is you write all your personal data (financial, address, phone often, etc. - and a copy of your signature!) mail it, go through dozens of hands at the post office, to be opened by a minimum wage worker in a clearing house who scans your check and (hopefully!) destroys it. Yet people insist "I don't pay my bills online!" when - yes, you do - you just pay for, and risk your identity and financial info by mailing it to people who make the electronic payment for you.

It's the same thing here...don't be scared of Disney, be scared of the government, law enforcement, etc. going through your every digital tidbit. A Magic Band (which you can choose not to have) is not going to end your world. I think the whole program is stupid - but it's not dangerous, besides the obvious reason that they are risking a lot of resort money on something that in the end no one is going to really care about.

Who said anything about being scared.

I'm just not interested in an entertainment company gathering data on me, my spending habits, preferences (Female. Over 24. Dark sense of humor), and targeting me based on what I do in a theme park. Its just unacceptable to me. I have no desire to be marketed to by ANYONE.

fosse76

But the sky isn't blue at all.

The sky is every colour of the rainbow. Owing to human physiology and atmospheric conditions, sunlight penetrating the atmosphere appears blue. But the sky itself is many colours. It also appears as many colours to the human eye too. The effect is best observed at dusk, when the sky appears red, orange, purple.
While it is true that white light is composed of all the colors of the rainbow, that light scatters once it hits the atmosphere. Since blue has the shortest wavelength, it scatters more easily and predominately, making it the color of the sky. When we describe the color of something, we describe it as the observable color. Technically, every object could be described as being "every colour of the rainbow" since the color is determined by the wavelength of light bouncing off that object.

As for green...if a little pixie says that the sky is green, don't intimidate him into silence, but listen closely to him - for green is the colour the sky assumes before a thunderstorm, possibly a tornado. Run!
While green skies do exist with severe thunderstorms, there is no scientific study that connects them to tornadoes.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
The original hook for FP was that guests would spend more time shopping while waiting for their return times. It never worked as intended; most simply grabbed a FP for one attraction and immediately jumped in line for another attraction.

Iger and Rasulo have been surprisingly candid about FP+'s goal. As Rasulo so bluntly put it:

"So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get more time with them. We get a bigger share of their wallet."

MM+ is not designed to bring in more guests, like a new attraction traditionally does. It's designed to get the guests Disney already has to stay onsite longer and spend more of their Orlando vacation dollars at WDW.

So the original FastPass was designed to get more money from guests. The unintended consequence was an increased guest experience. They touted FastPass as a guest friendly way to experience their favorite attractions with limited lines. They built up goodwill with many guests, even if that wasn't their goal to begin with.

The new FastPassMinus is designed to get more money from guests. The unintended consequence is yet to be seen. My suspicions are that standby lines get longer especially at the new "fake" FastPassMinus attractions like Space Ship Earth and as I have previously stated a substantial decrease in guest experience. I harken back to the posts mentioning "load balancing" and that certainly fits the bill.

There are two old idioms in business," If you are not growing, you're dying" and "Everything rises and falls on leadership." The first one applies to the idea that Disney is happy with it's growth at 1% to 2% in attendance (thank you ParentsOf4) and they feel little threat from competition (read:UO). The second one speaks for itself.

As I caught no fish or sharks with my first to casts, I am giving up fishing this week. I will probably put some effort into fleshing out a few more days of "Trudy" and her family, since there are many layers yet to come. I do like the decrease in insults and personal attacks lately and appreciate those that help limit that.

*1023*

Atomicmickey

Man, I wish Disney would do something so that we could talk about Disney on the boards again.

The state of the boards mirrors the state of the company--it took years for us here to
catch up, but here we are.

How about WDWMagic go down for refurbishment with a placard on the main
page "closed until such time as there is some Magic to discuss"?

muteki

Man, I wish Disney would do something so that we could talk about Disney on the boards again.

The state of the boards mirrors the state of the company--it took years for us here to
catch up, but here we are.

How about WDWMagic go down for refurbishment with a placard on the main
page "closed until such time as there is some Magic to discuss"?
The main page could be replaced by an image of a planter in the mean time.

Mike730

As far as Fastpass+, I have zero confidence that it will be good thing. The worst part about a standby line is standing in one place without moving at all while the ECVs and Fastpassers get on ahead.

Honestly, the wait is bearable as long as the line is always moving, which is much more likely to happen without Fastpass.

Last edited by a moderator:

luv

@KevinYee Did you say that the Universal resorts fall between Disney Moderate and Deluxe hotels? I know I get accused of being a plant, an employee, etc, but this is one thing that I completely agree with @WDW1974 on, and that is the Universal (read: Loews) resorts are above and beyond that of Disneys.
I don't know who that is, though he keeps getting mentioned in this thread, but I 100% agree with you. The Uni hotels are much nicer and have MUCH better service.

If someone is saying those hotels are somehow a step down from Disney, they are either lying or just haven't been to all the hotels.

MattM

I don't know who that is, though he keeps getting mentioned in this thread, but I 100% agree with you. The Uni hotels are much nicer and have MUCH better service.

If someone is saying those hotels are somehow a step down from Disney, they are either lying or just haven't been to all the hotels.
Here's the article:
http://micechat.com/39908-the-disney-empire-strikes-back/

I agree with @KevinYee on every other point, except for the hotels.

flynnibus

Premium Member
@KevinYee Did you say that the Universal resorts fall between Disney Moderate and Deluxe hotels? I know I get accused of being a plant, an employee, etc, but this is one thing that I completely agree with @WDW1974 on, and that is the Universal (read: Loews) resorts are above and beyond that of Disneys.

IMO - it's dependent on the slice you are looking at. In some areas one excels more than the other and vise versa. The only B&W issue for me is that the rates Disney charges are obscene.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Oh youll be hunted down for that lack of faith.

Clever Name

First, you must be really passionate about it to take the time to write what you did. Second, as of late I am not going to sift through pages of rubble. I no longer read the entire thread and only search out posts by certain reputable members. When an argument about name calling goes on for pages I really do not have time for that.

But..."Oh gosh"...thanks for your patience and understanding!
I'll send you a daily email with all my posts.

KevinYee

Oh, I'll be the first to categorize it as a puff piece. It mainly has one goal: to point out that the Universal love-fest (and now-common Disney bashing) is starting to tilt into groupthink. Disney was once quite dominant and can be again... I think folks are starting to lose hope that they will do what's necessary. But a single massive improvement can vault them back to the top pretty quickly.

As for the Loews hotels, I'll admit it's been years since I've stepped foot inside, so I concede my memory could be playing tricks and am happy to instead call them Deluxe hotels. I was *trying* to give the Disney-lovers some benefit of the doubt, but that article seems not to have needed it.

It's a weird thing to be called too optimistic with regard to Disney... hasn't happened to me in some time!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yea, but the strategy could work.

Im not a fan of bloggers, or posters with a bigger page as they should be classed and usually avoid their musings, this piece is no different. It is full of if buts and maybes. We all know what Disney are capable of, what I have struggled to see is where Mr Yee is getting his optimism from given one of his striking back weapons was fired two years ago and has yet to have the firing pin strike the cap. I'm a tourist I want 3 major park players in Orlando cause although I like kebabs I dont want them every meal.

MattM

Im not a fan of bloggers, or posters with a bigger page as they should be classed and usually avoid their musings, this piece is no different. It is full of if buts and maybes. We all know what Disney are capable of, what I have struggled to see is where Mr Yee is getting his optimism from given one of his striking back weapons was fired two years ago and has yet to have the firing pin strike the cap. I'm a tourist I want 3 major park players in Orlando cause although I like kebabs I dont want them every meal.
Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom