Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterAlt

How are they going to make it 3D if they're using old 35mm analog cameras? They have to use two cameras side by side, but that's not as good as digital 3D cameras that place two lenses at the same distance as a human's left and right eyes...

RSoxNo1

There is no good way to twist the lack of real new things to do because of the development cost of this project.

I liken it to that Jim Hill article about a year ago... They ARE spending money at WDW, it is just going to this like infrastructure... you should still be happy.

Meh.
Infrastructure doesn't sell tickets, but it seems that Disney no longer cares. To them, infrastructure gets them more money per guest which makes it a win for them.

the.dreamfinder

How are they going to make it 3D if they're using old 35mm analog cameras? They have to use two cameras side by side, but that's not as good as digital 3D cameras that place two lenses at the same distance as a human's left and right eyes...
If they do 3D, it will likely be a digital postconversion similar to Star Trek Into Darkness where the film is digitally scanned and converted to 3D by a third party.

RSoxNo1

Fastpass+ is the MAJOR part of the upgrades. The entire resort is planned to revolve around it, and forcing guests into less choices and standby lines if they don't (or don't know) they have to micromanage their trip in advance. Fair enough, upgrade dated infrastructure, but do it at corporate level and leave the guest experience out of it. Too late was the cry.

Springfield wasn't needed. Like the Spider-Man enhancements it was done to enhance something without being needed. It would stink if it was flogged to death as the new must see by park publicity and social media but it wasn't. It would stink if it were opened piecemeal over several years and each time a new part was hailed as a major expansion. But it wasn't.

Mostly though, It would stink the most if it were the only addition in a resort that wasn't seeing D level refurbs and new E tickets being added year after year. But they are.

Perhaps that's why it's not getting too much of a hard time.
Similarly, if New Fantasyland opened with an E-Ticket anchor and Little Mermaid, Mermaid wouldn't be getting as much criticism.

the.dreamfinder

But they are going backwards with 35mm, aren't they? Why aren't they filming it in 70mm?
None of the SW films were that were shot on film were shot in 70mm. The negatives, the master source, are 35mm. They were blown up to 70mm, but that print can never have the visual information a 70mm print of a film SHOT in 70mm has (ie: Lawrence of Arabia, Samsara, The Master etc).

To answer your question, there's nothing stopping them from SHOOTING in 70mm, but it's not a step back as you suggest.

WDW1974

Original Poster
He is their Blue Magic (Breaking Bad reference for those who dont watch)

All through Season three and into the fourth now. It certainly is powerful and deep, likely far deeper than many who watch understand it to be. I do sorta wish I had watched earlier. Would have made my conversation with Aaron Paul as we walked into the Emmys Governors Ball last year a bit deeper.

After binging on six or seven episodes today, one can't be sure as it can be as addictive as pixie dust, I decided to watch something very different and settled on Mulan. It reminded me of how great Disney animation truly was for the entire decade of the 90s and how far Disney has moved from that. The fact the film was largely created by Feature Animation Florida, a studio that was shuttered a decade ago despite pumping billions into TWDC, did not go unnoticed by me as I tried to count all the folks I either knew or knew of that were in the credits and have been long gone from Disney. It's amazing to think that a great film like Mulan barely gets mentioned with the greats of the era because Disney created so much amazing IP that decade.

It's also telling how different things are today. There is no greater commentary of the emptiness of TPFKaTD-MGMS than the fact that facility now hosts a lot of people who do absolutely nothing to make MAGIC. All very sad ... Unless MAGIC Bands get you hot and bothered.

I doubt that a film like Mulan would ever even get made today (even in CG) because of the scenes of death and war. Iger likes everything sanitized for the Mommy Bloggers.

And I would be very remiss if I didn't wish two of my favorites people on the planet a very Happy Anniversary. Miss Mrs. Lee tremendously ...oh, and you too @Lee .

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The Circus is fine thematically...for a circus, and quite appropriate for its subject matter.
Overall....it's just weak. Barely an improvement over its predecessor.

Weak yes, barely an improvement, I don't think so. My DS was barely a toddler when the Mickeyland opened. He loved it and every couple years there were some changes, to keep him and my next child interested, climbing gym, squirting maze, the zoo, the little houses, Minnie & Mickey's house, the tent shows changed, a play/climb area added, the coaster, the Donald Boat. As cheap as the area was it kept the little ones entertained, always something new each year, a place to blow off some steam from waiting in lines.

Storybook is perfectly fine, more pleasing to the eye for the parents but to the small I doubt it will be any more fun than the ever changing Toon area. It will likely be allowed to grow stale, I don't see much that can be altered or refreshed.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nope. I never made any of those claims, nor are they correct. I have repeatedly criticized NextGen and stated that execution has largely been a failure. It's amazing that me saying NextGen is way over budget but not as over budget as some have suggested is considered pixie dust snorting or whatever else.

I don't wish yo go back and forth with anyone on this point. I don't know how far over budget this project is and, quite frankly knowing what I know, I doubt you do either. And it isn't important. Or shouldn't be.

The issues as I see them are the ridiculous amount being spent, while the resort stagnates and infrastructure rots, and the lack of transparency/honesty about everything from whether FPs will be allowed to sell out in advance to exactly how deep Disney's data mining will REALLY go.

Frankly, whether the project is $400 million over budget in the end or $4 billion is of no moment to me at all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think you might be thinking about things backwards. People have been throwing accusations around that anyone with anything positive to say about TWDC or TDO or whoever must be affiliated with the company. In my experience, people INSIDE TWDC are among the most cynical, roll-your-eyes, pixie-dust-makes-you-vomit bunch you'll ever encounter.

A portion of them certainly are, no doubt (and I love it since it does help feed me with info).
But many TDOers are very loyal company men and women and while they may not breathe Pixie Dust 24/7, they enjoy spinning the company line for either personal or professional reasons or both.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Can we please once and for all put a stop to the silly name calling, accusations of posters being plants, accusations of trolls, personal attacks, and generally acting like kids in the playground.

I, and other moderators have made this request on several occasions, and after a brief halt in hostilities it occurs again. I'm frankly sick of dealing with it. Not that it should be necessary, because we are all grown adults here, but how about we lay down some ground rules for this thread.

If ANYONE continues to make accusations of a poster being a troll, plant, they are going to be banned. If you have ANY concerns about a member, contact me with a private conversation or use the Report feature.

If ANYONE continues to make any personal attacks on another member, they are going to be banned.

If ANYONE does not follow the terms of posting (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/help/terms), they are going to be banned.

It is really not difficult to follow some basic rules and make the place better for everyone. If you find yourself not being able to remain civil and follow the rules, STAY OUT OF THE THREAD or leave the forum.

We are here to discuss WDW in a useful way - how about we get back to that?

Thanks, Steve.

And sorry you had to deal with this in the middle of the night in the U.K.

WDW1974

Original Poster
EPCOT was over 2.3x it's original budget.

DLP was 4-5x it's original budget depending on what numbers you trust.

I really don't want to get into another numbers battle, but your numbers don't add up with what I know to be true (feel free to correct me with evidence). EC, if I recall, had a budget of $650 million that was upped a bit and the project came in at $800 million. The 1983 adds made it an even $1 billion.

Either way, it doesn't negate the fact those projects HAD budgets and NGE seemingly does not.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 Any hints as to when these new posts would go up? Not trying to push you for them, just wondering so I can keep a weathered eye open as I take care of real life stuff. Oh, and thanks again for continuing to post in the face of a lot of accusations tossed in your direction. You know where I work so you know I have a vested interest in how these things end up playing out in the future. I have another question for you but that will be reserved for a pm at some time in the near future as well.

No idea. Some time this week, I would hope. But I am also waiting on some additional info to blunt as many of the critics as I can. And feel free to PM, although I have 22 awaiting response right now.

PeterAlt

I hate to say this... (Okay, that's not true... I LOVE saying this), but James Cameron is the best film maker of all time. He is in spirit what George Lucas was when he made the original trilogy. The new Star Wars movies will be successes and may even break records. The new Avatar movies will be successes and may even break records as well...

BUT, James Cameron's Anita Battle Angel (2019?) will be like Avatar, Titanic, T2, and Terminator in breaking new ground, breaking records, and holding those records. Think Terminator, but replace Arnold with tough teenage female with scattered memories of a former human life. Just look at some of the art based on the Japanese anime this is adopted from...

View attachment 30623
View attachment 30624

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom