Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have no idea (and look forward to an expert answer) but I'm pretty sure it would be the films and not the books.

As to where? Where ever they want to, baby! LOL. Actually, I am in no way familiar with where there are existing build-out spots at Universal, but I think they have a bit more land than we may think based on things like the removal of Jaws. I believe that was done because it was the best location, and that ride was a huge maintenance nightmare and high-cost to keep up (just the propane alone was apparently astronomical). I also have an inkling that Universal may go on a buying spree at some point, akin to what Disneyland eventually did, buying out key properties in the area.

But again - no idea - and look forward to the experts weighing in.

It would be the films. And would replace most of an existing 'island' at IOA. And I am NOT saying it is happening.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Plus, Hilton basically has one product: room nights. Maybe some Food and Beverage sprinkled in. I'm no network expert, but my guess is that it's easier to link a few thousand hotels together than to link thirty hotels, dozens of restaurants, retail outlets, a transportation fleet, media networks, film distribution, and everything else. Volume is solved inexpensively. Costs come from diversity. Also, the Hilton product requires MUCH fewer bells and whistles to meet guest expextations than Disney's. Hilton can get away with clean and functional. Disney needs that too, but tack on "pretty" and "magical."

It would appear that Disney is struggling with clean and functional. I am sure things will all work out when they attempt the 'bells and whistles':rolleyes:

luv

All through Season three and into the fourth now. It certainly is powerful and deep, likely far deeper than many who watch understand it to be.
I don't recommend crap. Not that you'd know that. But I don't.

I doubt I'll ever recommend another show to anyone, but everyone should watch this show. (That's word, yo.)

WDW1974

Original Poster
They weren't driven by the same factors and there was enough isolation between the divisions in the company that the strategic flops in TV and media were not driving the theme park strategies/operations. At this point, Theme Parks were already deep in the Pressler era already being driven into the ground for 4+ years. Disney was opening two new theme parks during this time (DCA and WDSP) with their own mindset of how parks should be priced and operated... independet of the stupidity driving the aquistion thinking of Eisner at the time in media. Topping that was the steep decline following 9/11. Infoseek/GO was a disaster... topped only by the absurdity of the 5+ billion dollar price paid for Fox Family just a few years later.

Yep, and Iger and Staggs weren't exactly criticizing those moves either.

That was during the period when MIchael and the Company felt like they could be all things to all people. In some ways I see that to this day with Iger and his acquisition fixation. ABC Family will also be shackled to a rightwing radical preaching his version of what his God wants forever, much like UNI controlling theme park rights for Disney owned IP.

I am sure that Disney could make lots of money selling pet food ... Or sex toys ... Or data mining and surveillance systems. The question is why? Just because you can do something does not mean you should be doing it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm sorry, but a lot of this thread (and nearly every thread ever created regarding the Next Gen project) just comes across as a lot of people upset about new technology that they've never used and don't understand.

Yes, Fastpass+ seems a little... wonky, but it's a tiny part of otherwise much needed upgrades to WDW's technological systems.

Even if that were true, and is not, the idea that people have to be technologically savvy and even own certain devices in order to not have a subpar/unequal vacation experience at a theme park resort is simply absurd. Disney says this is all about making vacations easier and less stressful for guests when they are patently lying about that. Only the experts and the OCD addicts largely are finding this system an improvement.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I realize you're an expert but I believe it doesn't take one to see that's not the point. First of all, it's not cheap. It's a themed area they threw together and built in what--less than a year? For what it took to build it, I don't think it's cheap at all. Forgiving the comic book store, I'd be hard pressed to find a Simpsons fan disappointed with it, plus all the specialty merch and food and booze.

Second of all, when Universal builds a spinner, it's "let's throw in a spinner". When Disney builds a spinner, it's "let's see how many people we can get hyped up about this spinner!".

But most importantly, Springfield is praised because it's a sign of effort; of more on top of more. Transformers would have sufficed for the fan community to consider Uni's 2013 a productive year. But because they're smart they know from HP that themed areas with specialty merch food and booze = $$$$ (a bargain for us consumers (there's that word again)). WE get more. Springfield is something. Disney obviously knows this recipe for success--look at CarsLand and World Showcase--so we start asking questions: why can't they conceptualize and build something, anything, like UC can in such a brief span of time?

Being optimistic of Universal for what they're doing doesn't make someone a fanboy. It makes them OBSERVANT. If you're still unconvinced, I'll see you in a year when we can compare and contrast Seven Dwarfs Train with Diagon Alley.

If WDW was opening a spinner, it would be having Mommy bloggers flown in from all over the world and be throwing a major party with C-list celebs and swag for the Lifestylers. UNI barely even announced this thing because it is a minor addition in its UNIverse.

HMF

That was during the period when MIchael and the Company felt like they could be all things to all people. In some ways I see that to this day with Iger and his acquisition fixation. ABC Family will also be shackled to a rightwing radical preaching his version of what his God wants forever, much like UNI controlling theme park rights for Disney owned IP..
If I remember correctly from Disney War, Eisner actually was against having Pat Robertson affiliated with the Disney brand but Strategic Planning talked him into it. The whole ABC Family mess was just dumb and much of the television IP acquired has since been sold back to it's original owners so... I guess it is still considered one of those taboo subjects the Company does not like to publicize as I am sure NGE probably will be in a few years.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

Speaking of sad disney lifestylers these sophisticated individuals decided to whine to CNN because disney is shutting down their silly "toon town" online game that these people played with to escape reality

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1024578?hpt=hp_bn1

Between this and the whole "virtual magic kingdom" closure it would make an interesting chapter if Spirit ever decides to write that book.

HMF

I have a new opinion...

Let them fail!

Because if they fail, who's fault would it be? The executives. If the BOD is unwilling to make drastic changes, before long, corporate sharks will be on the offensive, ready to devour the company and force things to change. Hopefully, the successful shark will be Comcast...
While I probably would not want things to fail too drastically. I do want it to fail to the extent that certain executives and the BOD receives it's walking papers then yes I want the NextGen venture to fail spectacularly.

tissandtully

Speaking of sad disney lifestylers these sophisticated individuals decided to whine to CNN because disney is shutting down their silly "toon town" online game that these people played with to escape reality

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1024578?hpt=hp_bn1

Between this and the whole "virtual magic kingdom" closure it would make an interesting chapter if Spirit ever decides to write that book.
It's iReport. You can whine about anything you want.

PeterAlt

While I probably would not want things to fail too drastically. I do want it to fail to the extent that certain executives and the BOD receives it's walking papers then yes I want the NextGen venture to fail spectacularly.
Another thing... Everyone listen up!

If it's Disney's intention to import NextGen to DLR in California, then that resort is getting a free ride.

If Disney's BOD counts NextGen as a local WDW expense and is preventing it from financing new attractions, it is unfairly funding attraction construction at the DLR because it will share the NextGen technology, once WDW has finished developing it, but they will not share the expense.

Therefore, the BOD should see NextGen as an expense for all its theme parks at all locations, and adjust capital expenses at WDW retroactively with an increase to fairly reflect a formulation proportionate to what is being and has been spent at the DLR.

Californian Elitist

I was discussing this over dinner, we tried to think of the effect NGE might have on DLR.

A negative one. The majority of DLR's guests don't even plan trips. Imagine finding out we (I know you're a DLR local) have to plan FPs and which rides we want to get on... It's laughable. I can kind of see people wearing those bands to purchase things, but this FP deal is a joke. Restricting the number of FPs we can get would so many people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom