Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Cue @George antecdote about reaching inside something... :)

I am far too mature and dignified to even think about taking advantage of that quote.
Samseditorial.jpg

Pentacat

It's a very nice, family-run place (although the family members are squabbling publicly as of late) that has a number of great rides, including the best wooden rollercoaster I've ever ridden, The Voyage. The waterpark section is also very nice, and has a huge raft ride called Mammoth that is just a riot to ride.

There seems to be at least one family member at the main gate at open and close, always ready with a friendly "good morning" and/or "thanks for coming." And the employee mix reminds me of what WDW has -- a goodly amount of retirees that still understand what good service is all about.

Don't forget FREE UNLIMITED SODA all day, every day. No RFID mugs, no price hikes and no "stealing" soda.

Seriously, it's a nice small park and the staff is usually great but "themeing" is a concept they are not familiar with.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Some Spirited comments and opinions:

NGE is already incredibly over budget and will cost significantly more than it ever was supposed to --FACT!
Jason Garcia who plays a reporter in the real world (albeit not very well) has already reported a cost of over $1.5 billion and his numbers came from the good folks who planted the story with him from TWDC.

If people don't like me or my words so much, then one must ask how mentally ill they must be (or just self defeating) to waste time that they won't be getting back at the end by posting or even reading here. You have to wonder what else is at play with SOME people (no specifics here) who come here largely to call me a liar and attack my cred. It usually heats up whenever I people off at Disney for some strange reason.

I bet they wouldn't dare do that to @wdwmagic, yet my track record ...well, I let it speak for itself. I don't own the site, I don't make a penny off my time here, but I share my knowledge and insight.

For those who say they want to present a different viewpoint (and I welcome intelligent counterpoints) what I tend to see is people who feel they need to defend a corporation. That, frankly, just blows my mind. Disney needs people to spin for it here on my 'wittle, insignificant thread?

There are some very funny things going on at WDW these days and none of it is really funny at all. DVCers try and book at OKW and SSR, places that you pretty much can get into 365 days a year, but are told 'nothing is available' ...at the the same time, CMs can book villas at those resorts for half off with plenty of availability.

Back to NGE, anyone on the ground at WDW knows what a disaster these 'tests' have been (with relatively tiny sample groups), yet it sure 'seems' that there are folks who have 24/7 to defend the system online. Again, if you believe that TWDC pays people to post on forums like this you are 'wearing a tinfoil hat' according to ignorant people that truly have no clue how major corporations (or Disney in particular) do business. They do. Period.

I understand that Pixie Dust is a powerful thing, but some if what I read just makes me ...hit copy for that book on mental illness and the Disney fan community.

And will someone tell Neo that IRREGARDLESS is not a word? We went through this with a troll a few months ago if I am not mistaken and he really doesn't want that comparison.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

If you remove the wristbands and everything that is connected to them, what is left?
The MagicBands may be able to connect to almost everything included, but they are the end result. Letting the technological infrastructure continue to age was only going to make things worse (more expensive) down the road. Things like finally having WiFi available at the hotels are part of the NextGen project, but with your phrasing, because the MagicBands work with the new website, it is a waste of resources.

WDWDad13

There are some very funny things going on at WDW these days and none of it is really funny at all. DVCers try and book at OKW and SSR, places that you pretty much can get into 365 days a year, but are told 'nothing is available' ...at the the same time, CMs can book villas at those resorts for half off with plenty of availability.

As an SSR owner for many years... this really isn't anything new or out of the ordinary depending on the time of year and discounts/promotions Disney has going on at the time in terms of availability

if you're trying to make a case that Disney is cooking the books (number of rooms available to cash res v/s dvc varies) then I don't buy it. The DVC members are the loyal repeat customers... if you stop their availability to take a trip as easily, you start to lose a big $ base

I'm more troubled by so many who take up space on the SSR bus from the parks to get to Downtown Disney all the time lol

pixargal

Dollywood is a nice park and all, but, 300 million wouldn't even get it up to the caliber of the worst Disney park in existence. If you think WDW is old and needing upgrading, you haven't been to Dollywood have you? As I said, I don't mean to put it down, it's a very nice, family park...but not even close to Disney or Uni's standards. Still worth seeing though. Dolly isn't really competing with Disney, but it does need an upgrade way more basic then Disney's.
I realize it isn't up to Disney standards. We have a cabin in the mountains only two hours from the park and have yet to visit. But, with these new additions, I am interested. My point was that Dollywood is investing in rides, entertainment, and hotels, and has us planning a trip. It is frustrating that TDO isn't investing in what is important to keep it the best. Heck, even Carowinds, down the road, usually has something new to offer when they open each season.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
As an SSR owner for many years... this really isn't anything new or out of the ordinary depending on the time of year and discounts/promotions Disney has going on at the time in terms of availability

if you're trying to make a case that Disney is cooking the books (number of rooms available to cash res v/s dvc varies) then I don't buy it. The DVC members are the loyal repeat customers... if you stop their availability to take a trip as easily, you start to lose a big $ base

I'm more troubled by so many who take up space on the SSR bus from the parks to get to Downtown Disney all the time lol
And yet the Hub is showing rooms available at CM rates at SSR when the same days are appearing booked on the DVC site. Add in that SSR and OKW are being offered to UK residents at a discounted rate, and I have very little difficulty in believing this.....

alphac2005

Interesting comments from the head of one arm of the WDC:

ESPN President: Wage Stagnation, Not Technology, Is the Biggest Threat to the TV Business

ETA: Yes, I know this is not a WDW article but it fits with the variety of discussion points covered in this thread.

I just read another print article that The Atlantic did last week (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/09/the-most-valuable-network/309433/) about ESPN that goes into how since 2005 they went back to covering broad sports, not niche sports, and focus on creating story lines like a soap opera with athletes. The more nuanced the product got, the ratings fell, and carriage & ad dollars are all what ESPN are about. Interestingly enough, their ratings have been going on a nosedive, down around 33% this year.

Your Atlantic article is very interesting and we've had a lot of discussions here about how ESPN accounts for roughly 40% of the company's profit. Skipper's assertions about why people are cord cutting is pretty laughable and many in the industry are still in denial. It reminds me of newspapers with no game plan to bring their product online.

I covered the television and film industry for a print publication nearly two decades ago and these businesses constantly misread change and their business. I listened to John Malone (Liberty Media zillionaire), Ted Turner, Gerald Levin, and other major industry people in conferences at the time (90's) misread one thing after another with cable. To be fair, Turner wasn't off in his mindset much, rather, he thought that the exploding cable universe could add way more high quality product instead of reality tabloidvision. The truth is that we have some amazing shows on cable today that are as high of quality of anything that HBO produces (We hear ya, AMC!), but it still doesn't get to the point that people are sick of spending so much money on cable/sat especially when they can just download shows at their discretion or stream on Netflix, etc.

On a personal note, I know of so many people that have cord cut and they are as far away from his bottom 20% antidote and are supposedly the people where cost is no object. We have an OTA aerial, Roku, Apple TV, and AT&T's U-verse product. If U-verse doesn't offer a promo when our current deal is over, we're gone. We added it last year having gone the prior year without satellite or cable. Many of us are just tired of the cost when we only watch 5 channels and have to pay 100 something dollars to buy them all because what we want are on various tiers.

"A la carte is not a good solution for whatever the issue is here, and it's not particularly beneficial to anybody," Skipper said. It has plenty of benefit to the consumer, though, therefore it's a losing proposition to the company because they get blanket carry fees for based on the number of subscribers, which a la carte dramatically upends. In the consumer's interest, he then states that channels 65-250 go out of business. Well, many unhappy television customers complain that they pay for all of those channels and there's "nothing on."

I can't recall the particular study offhand, but it basically found that customers watch an average of around 7 channels in the United States and that feeds into the whole paying for dozens or hundreds of channels that aren't watched by a paying customer.

Great article, thanks for the link!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Back to NGE, anyone on the ground at WDW knows what a disaster these 'tests' have been (with relatively tiny sample groups), yet it sure 'seems' that there are folks who have 24/7 to defend the system online.

So...I was on the phone yesterday with a worker of some type who specializes in "my disney experience", mm+, magicbands, etc. She said that things were going so well that full roll out of the program would take place sooner rather than later (indicating for sure by the end of the year). I mentioned that I heard of people having various issues and she dismissed this as "growing pains". I'd really like to see some hard data guest satisfaction levels with NGE and data on how many people have experienced legitimate, grounded in fact, undeniable problems like our own @spacemt354. I know this data won't be forthcoming, but I am a professional science dork and the curiosity is genuine.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
And yet the Hub is showing rooms available at CM rates at SSR when the same days are appearing booked on the DVC site. Add in that SSR and OKW are being offered to UK residents at a discounted rate, and I have very little difficulty in believing this.....

Exactly. If it were cash inventory from points being used for other items then were only SSR/OKW stated and not the other DVC Resorts. This is not the first I have heard of this occurring.

muteki

So...I was on the phone yesterday with a worker of some type who specializes in "my disney experience", mm+, magicbands, etc. She said that things were going so well that full roll out of the program would take place sooner rather than later (indicating for sure by the end of the year). I mentioned that I heard of people having various issues and she dismissed this as "growing pains". I'd really like to see some hard data guest satisfaction levels with NGE and data on how many people have experienced legitimate, grounded in fact, undeniable problems like our own @spacemt354. I know this data won't be forthcoming, but I am a professional science dork and the curiosity is genuine.
Problem is none of the guest satisfaction data from any of the testing going on could possibly seen as a valid measure of how the program is going. We won't know how it will work out in reality until the day when everyone in the park could have made reservations in advance 60 days prior, and there is no paper FP backup.

We won't know how good/bad the system is until well after it is rolled out to everyone.

Last edited:

WDWDad13

why is that so hard to understand? every DVC resort has a set number of DVC rooms allocated and a set number of cash res rooms allocated.... Animal Kingdom has been recently converting more cash rooms to DVC rooms so what's the theory there???

May 2013 - http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...as-declared-for-disneys-animal-kingdom-villas

April 2013 - http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...247-new-declaration-for-animal-kingdom-villas

Aug 2012 - http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...ration-in-two-weeks-for-animal-kingdom-villas-

July 2012 - http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...-animal-kingdom-villas-added-to-dvc-inventory

June 2012 - http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...fth-animal-kingdom-villas-declaration-of-2012

April 2012 - http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...ews/1923-new-animal-kingdom-point-declaration

etc. etc. etc.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Hey now, dont you start using ACTUAL PROOF to back up something someone said, it will not matter to the "apologists" They will just misinterpret what you said or put words in your mouth.

WDWDad13

Hey now, dont you start using ACTUAL PROOF to back up something someone said, it will not matter to the "apologists" They will just misinterpret what you said or put words in your mouth.

so why is AKL adding more and more DVC rooms from cash to DVC... and that theory is?

djlaosc

We're not DVC, but any idea why SSR is not available 29 Nov 2014/30 Nov 2014? It's available before and after those two dates here in the UK...

I know it's Thanksgiving Weekend, but Thanksgiving/Black Friday are still available...

Last edited:

WDWDad13

proof of what? cash rooms vs DVC rooms? yeah... nothing new

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Who said anything about it being hard to understand? But as a DVC member, there is an expectation that room availability should not be dictated by Disney seeking to open more and more rooms to cash purchasers as we're seeing now.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
so why is AKL adding more and more DVC rooms from cash to DVC... and that theory is?
He was just making the point that if Disney can book rooms at SSR/OKW for cash customers then they should be able to book a room for DVC'ers who you said are "loyal repeat cyustomers". If they are making changes at AKL that is good news. But that was NOT the point he was making. You shifted the discussion to suit your views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom