Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

twebber55

bottom line for me will continue to be this project takes away from future rides/lands (as far as we know) i think planning FP for me will be a good thing but not to the extent of the cost..i know they have smart people running this but it just looks bad

ChrisFL

Premium Member
'74, not sure if you addressed this before, but I'm concerned about the new mine train ride and the swinging aspect with some of our larger guests causing maintenance issues. I forsee problems in that area.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It's so good. Anyone that uses a computer or smart phone NEEDS to see this film...
I used to be involved in marketing and advertising post military so I am aware what can be found via data mining,the good and the bad, depending on what it is you are trying to achieve.
Im more concerned by the activities of some employers social media monitoring Gestapo than the incompetent branches of government.

Pentacat

'74, not sure if you addressed this before, but I'm concerned about the new mine train ride and the swinging aspect with some of our larger guests causing maintenance issues. I forsee problems in that area.

Given the fact that some of the older water based rides have already seen changes to ride vehicles to accommodate our ever "growing" populace I would have a hard time believing that WDI would drop the ball in this area. From an engineering standpoint, having the load "swing" from a pivot MAY actually reduce the amount of stress on the running gear...of course I'm not an engineer.

luv

Correct. All in, the project will probably be somewhere in the $2B neighborhood when all is said and done. The problem is, when people say $2B, others interpret that as "$2B SO FAR, with more to come." That's where the misconceptions come from.
I don't think that, lol. Two billion dollars for wristbands is more than enough. So is one billion.

So would be a million.

It's unnecessary.

I still think either you guys are completely, ridiculously off base with your numbers or something very odds up with all this...and not just typical business kickbacks, either.

One or two billion...something is up with that, if that's true. But I don't know if it's true. I'm just reading Internet rumors. I'm not doing the books or in the meetings.

Clamman73

I'm wondering are there some mechanisms that return it to level or is it just free swinging???

Goofyernmost

I read an article in the newspaper this morning about Dollywood. Dolly is planning on investing $300 million into the park over the next decade. This amount includes a resort hotel, which sounds amazing, btw. It will also include money for new rides and entertainment. The resort is scheduled to be open in 2015. I am already planning a visit. Dolly gets it, why doesn't TDO? This is what draws new visitors.
Dollywood is a nice park and all, but, 300 million wouldn't even get it up to the caliber of the worst Disney park in existence. If you think WDW is old and needing upgrading, you haven't been to Dollywood have you? As I said, I don't mean to put it down, it's a very nice, family park...but not even close to Disney or Uni's standards. Still worth seeing though. Dolly isn't really competing with Disney, but it does need an upgrade way more basic then Disney's.

Goofyernmost

I'm wondering are there some mechanisms that return it to level or is it just free swinging???
It's a little thing called gravity and centrifugal force. One moves it outward (CF) and the other returns it to level. (G) If you are referring to will it ever stop swinging back and forth I don't know. But looking at the design it goes from one force direction to another pretty quickly so if it continued to "sway" I doubt it would be noticeable. If it still is moving at unload, I'm sure that there is a braking system to hold it steady at that point just like the boats at Small World and Pirates are uplifted on platforms for loading and unloading.

michmousefan

Some of you may not have heard of Holiday World but it's a small family theme park in southern Indiana. I have never been there myself but I bet they have a lot of happy people and don't have to deal with the headaches Disney has created for itself. Admission includes both the theme and water park. They have free parking, free sunscreen and yes, free soda. My guess is that these simple gestures go along ways towards customer satisfaction.
It's a very nice, family-run place (although the family members are squabbling publicly as of late) that has a number of great rides, including the best wooden rollercoaster I've ever ridden, The Voyage. The waterpark section is also very nice, and has a huge raft ride called Mammoth that is just a riot to ride.

There seems to be at least one family member at the main gate at open and close, always ready with a friendly "good morning" and/or "thanks for coming." And the employee mix reminds me of what WDW has -- a goodly amount of retirees that still understand what good service is all about.

lazyboy97o

I don't think that, lol. Two billion dollars for wristbands is more than enough. So is one billion.

So would be a million.

It's unnecessary.

I still think either you guys are completely, ridiculously off base with your numbers or something very odds up with all this...and not just typical business kickbacks, either.

One or two billion...something is up with that, if that's true. But I don't know if it's true. I'm just reading Internet rumors. I'm not doing the books or in the meetings.
The costs of NextGen go well beyond just the MagicBands.

BryceM

Dollywood is a nice park and all, but, 300 million wouldn't even get it up to the caliber of the worst Disney park in existence. If you think WDW is old and needing upgrading, you haven't been to Dollywood have you? As I said, I don't mean to put it down, it's a very nice, family park...but not even close to Disney or Uni's standards. Still worth seeing though. Dolly isn't really competing with Disney, but it does need an upgrade way more basic then Disney's.
I'm sure that Dollywood has to be better than WDSP. I haven't been to WDSP, but I absolutely love Dollywood.

djlaosc

Just to add to the above Disney UK is currently marketing SSR & OKW at 35% off + free dining for most of 2014. And its across all units except grand villas.

The annoying thing about this is that SSR seems to already be blocked out for two days of our trip (November 2014)...

Clamman73

It's a little thing called gravity and centrifugal force. One moves it outward (CF) and the other returns it to level. (G) If you are referring to will it ever stop swinging back and forth I don't know. But looking at the design it goes from one force direction to another pretty quickly so if it continued to "sway" I doubt it would be noticeable. If it still is moving at unload, I'm sure that there is a braking system to hold it steady at that point just like the boats at Small World and Pirates are uplifted on platforms for loading and unloading.

Understood-I did my share of F=ma equations and vector forces in college...I'm curious like what @ChrisFL was asking about the maintenance issue with the carts and whether there's some articulating mechanism that moves with the cart, or does the whole cart's weight bear on one pivot point at the top (front and back).

nytimez

Understood-I did my share of F=ma equations and vector forces in college...I'm curious like what @ChrisFL was asking about the maintenance issue with the carts and whether there's some articulating mechanism that moves with the cart, or does the whole cart's weight bear on one pivot point at the top (front and back).

I'd say surely they have all that worked out and that they've planned for the stresses it will get from use... but then I think "yeti."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom