Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

luv

Easy. Some folks, such as myself, are not fans of the Simpsons. I much prefer the BTTF version of the ride, by a mile.
I'm not either. I saw one or two when it first came on the air and part of the movie. Not really a fan (at all.) BTTF, the movie - huge fan. Still love it.

But The Simpsons ride is, IMO, so much better than BTTF was...the Simpsons is still one of my favorites in Orlando...I am always astounded when someone says they prefer BTTF. Like saying you prefer Stitch to Everest. Boggles my mind.

(But I do believe you! And you're certainly entitled to your opinion! :))

bubbles1812

I think the best thing about this forum is watching Tim_4 be right all the time.

And Lee, PI's actually healthier today than your glory days you keep referencing, just different and needing some plussing. You can't just throw cover on places and think you'll make more money. I'm sorry you lost your Duster haven, but life goes on.
@Tim_4 isnt/hasnt been right all the time... Nor is anyone here. Both he and @Lee have good points. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. But I've come to respect Tim's posts at least and like our arguments ;) And Lee always has good points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Funmeister

It's already over half way thru 2013... And we know there hasn't been anything greenlit in DHD beyond that they have seemed to have decided they will eventually green light something. But we know that debate continues. I can't even see them breaking ground until next year even if they greenlit something tomorrow. And in theory an E ticket is coming in Star Wars land. Given that it is taking 2+ years to build a D ticket at best mine coaster, I don't see how they could pull off an entire land much less even that one theoretical E ticket ride by late 2015.

I mean they could get it done... If they didnt build at the speed of snail. But they do. And they seem to like it that way.

I do agree Avatar won't be seen before the end of the decade or at least near it. And who knows what Universal will have churned out by then.

I agree...during one time it could have been a realistic timeline. I agree it is off but I do stand by the order of events...SWL...CL then Avatar.

bubbles1812

I agree...during one time it could have been a realistic timeline. I agree it is off but I do stand by the order of events...SWL...CL then Avatar.
I am honestly not sure we get all 3. WDW needs all 3 to be certain. But that doesn't mean TDO/Burbank gets that. I think there is a very real possibility SWL/CL is an "or" situation rather than an "and" situation. Or at least one gets severely abbreviated to the point it loses the "land" in its name.

SirOinksALot

@Tim_4 isnt/hasnt been right all the time... Nor is anyone here. Both he and @Lee have good points. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. But I've come to respect Tim's posts at least and like our arguments ;) And Lee always has good points.

In terms of actual info and not column inches, Tim supplies way more than 74 these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am looking forward to hear what you have to say about Portofino Bay! Those Universal hotels look so great - have been wanting to stay there for a few years, but haven't yet. However, I have to say, the theme of the other two appeals more to me (I guess being European an Italian theme is less exotic to me :)).

Did you spend time at the pool there? From the pictures I have seen, I think it must be one of the best pools in Orlando.

Love the Portofino... one of my favorite hotels anywhere.

Yes, it is easily the best standard hotel room that I have ever had in O-Town. All rooms were recently renovated and look high end and brand new. From the light colors used to the new top of the line Stearns and Foster bedding. Spirited disclosure: as an important Spirit and Faux Top One Percenter I only paid $54 per night, which is the current team member rate. That said, rooms for my dates were available (without plastic covering the amazing view due to outside painting) for $232 a night. To contrast a bit, a room at the would have been $150 or $168 and a room at the WL would have started at $294. No comparison.

These are upscale rooms like you'd find at a resort on the Vegas strip. Nothing cheap about them from the blown Italian glassware to the fully stocked minibar (as an aside, I won't point out how even a Disney moderate resort like CBR opened with mini bars) to the premium coffee to the 24/7 room service. To the great boat transport.

Both the clientele and the employees are a few cuts higher than what you get at WDW in the 21st century. This isn't a 3-star operation masquerading as something higher. This is a true 4-star caliber resort.

Everything wasn't perfect, but you could tell they were aiming that high. Comparing to Disney's resorts, as beautiful as some are, is just laughable.

Again, Disney can't compete. I do wonder what it will do when UNI suddenly has 10-14k rooms on its resort (oh, and not to jump ahead, but it will) ...like I keep saying the paradigm is transforming before our eyes.

But Disney thinks the answer is sustaining a fatally flawed business model because it worked when there were no options for Central FL visitors. Not anymore.

Last edited:

WDWFan_Boston

Yes, it is easily the best standard hotel room that I have ever had in O-Town. All rooms were recently renovated and look high end and brand new. From the light colors used to the new top of the line Stearns and Foster bedding. Spirited disclosure: as an important Spirit and Faux Top One Percenter I only paid $54 per night, which is the current team member rate. That said, rooms for my dates were available (without plastic covering the amazing view due to outside painting) for $232 a night. To contrast a bit, a room at the would have been $150 or $168 and a room at the WL would have started at $294. No comparison.

These are upscale rooms like you'd find at a resort on the Vegas strip. Nothing cheap about them from the blown Italian glassware to the fully stocked minibar (as an aside, I won't point out how even a Disney moderate resist like CBR opened with mini bars) to the premium coffee to the 24/7 room service. To the great boat transport.

Both the clientele and the employees are a few cuts higher than what you get at WDW in the 21st century. This isn't a 3-star operation masquerading as something higher. This is a true 4-star caliber resort.

Everything wasn't perfect, but you could tell they were aiming that high. Comparing to Disney's resorts, as beautiful as some are, is just laughable.

Again, Disney can't compete. I do wonder what it will do when UNI suddenly has 10-14k rooms on its resort (oh, and not to jump ahead, but it will) ...like I keep saying the paradigm is transforming before our eyes.

But Disney thinks the answer is sustaining a fatally flawed business model because it worked when there were no options for Central FL visitors. Not anymore.

I know I'm new here but, good heavens, do you work for Universal? I feel like I'm reading the text from an infomercial.

jensenrick

The average visitor to Orlando WILL see a change in how they vacation there with regards to where they spend their time and what they do.

Uni is shifting from the teenager park/glorified six-flags place people had been calling it for years to a well-established resort with high end dining, hotels, and attractions. They are moving at a feverish pace with more attractions, new lands, refurbished hotels and restaurants AND they still have more room to expand.

I'd enjoy splashing around at Wet-n-Wild while you still can.

Universal has altered their course and in doing so has strengthened their brand image of what a Universal park/resort is meant to be and in doing so will cause guest expectations at Universal to increase over the next 3 years.

In that same amount of time, SeaWorld will be doing (in a less big way) their own refurbishments and expansions.

....but down I-4....WDW's focus is on data mining it's guests. They are more interested in data and hotel rooms (and they can't even fill their hotel rooms now because there are too many and not enough people staying on site).

There are those high up in the company that know something...wrong choice of words......A LOT....is wrong with WDW.

Many are now sticking their head in the sand because they know the train is going to derail.

While Uni and even SeaWorld shift to become more sensory-overload resorts with new attractions, better dining and shopping, etc...WDW trucks a long like it has since the 2000s.

It can rely on the fact that dedicated fanboys love going there to experience the same thing over and over again, and the other fact that the average guest only goes to WDW once or a few times over the course of their life; so nearly everything they experience will appear new to them.

It's going to catch up with WDW when they start playing second fiddle. I would LOVE for WDW to be as ambitious and energetic as it was in the 80s and 90s, but they aren't anymore.

Disneyland has gotten so much love and will continue to get more love for it's 60th in a couple years.

WDW? Other than a mine train coaster, a new fireworks show to replace Wishes, and plenty of new bathrooms and real estate, don't expect to drool over anything new coming up.

The studios aren't even being touched for a few more years and if the plans they have stay true, you can expect a highly watered down version of carsland with a new star wars attraction as the park's saving grace to bring in more crowds.

Hey about that broken yeti and scaffolding over the tree of life and how IllumiNations is over 10 years old.....

I want to Like this post x 10000! Hell, I LOVE this post.

rioriz

Gotta disagree on the Hotel level...I have stayed at many resorts in WDW and have ALWAYS been treated well and CM have gone above and beyond at times...not saying Portifino isn't good but I struggle to say there is no comparison.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ok, I'm looking forward to your next posts spirit. I know you said it was free but after your last review of BOG I'm surprised you decided to eat there again.
Also, if I was James Cameron I would walk at this point.

I ate there ONLY because it was free. But Disney's guest recovery could use some work because now after dining there twice and not paying for either meal, I don't even want to set foot in the place even for free. Just a lousy overrated experience, let the addicts and bloggers have it. I want no part of it.

alphac2005

I know I'm new here but, good heavens, do you work for Universal? I feel like I'm reading the text from an infomercial.

'74 loves the details and many of us are right there with our insider. The details reinforce the complete flip of the community that used to bash any and all competitors of Disney. The info is warranted because UNI's quality is excellent today. Much like @WDW1974, we stayed at Portofinio in June and it was superb. Best theme park resort stay that we've had in the past decade.

tissandtully

These are upscale rooms like you'd find at a resort on the Vegas strip. Nothing cheap about them from the blown Italian glassware to the fully stocked minibar (as an aside, I won't point out how even a Disney moderate resist like CBR opened with mini bars) to the premium coffee to the 24/7 room service. To the great boat transport.

Even better than AKL? Gasp. I think the real reason I want to stay at a Universal hotel is for the unlimited express pass, that just seems like a great deal.

SirOinksALot

Yup. I love both franchises, but the Simpsons Ride blows BTTF out of the water, mostly on the amazing strength of its script
To purists though, a computer animated Simpsons ride is a travesty. I can't get past that.

I actually go on it for the queue :oops:

luv

Even better than AKL? Gasp. I think the real reason I want to stay at a Universal hotel is for the unlimited express pass, that just seems like a great deal.
AKL is my favorite at WDW and I do prefer the theme, but given the choice, I'd take PBH every single time.

It's just so much better. It's on another level - one Disney doesn't play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom