Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWDad13

Who has my history at the parks? Disney can compile some data currently, but they don't make that openly available to just any cast member. Currently there is not a system that allows cast members to know my detailed plans. This is a large quantity of employees that will not only know where I've been, but where I'm going too. That is troubling to me. As an example, lets say a 20 something cast member from the college program sees my teenage daughter and takes a liking to her. Maybe he attempts to strike up a conversation or flirt a little. Even if she shows no interest he now knows which park she will be in each day and specific rides she will be on at specific times, he knows where she will be eating and what time. That is just plain too much info and could be potentially dangerous. This is just one example and since I don't have a teenage daughter, not a real life issue for me personally, but swap out the college program guy with a pedophile. With 2 young sons that would be a big concern to me. I was one of the people that dismissed this as an issue when it was first brought up because I didn't think there would be any chance Disney would be foolish enough to make the real time and future data available to CMs. Do we really want all those people knowing so much info? Plenty of people choose to broadcast their lives on Facebook and twitter and such but its their choice to give the world as many or as few details about their lives and their actions as they see fit. This is forcing me to give mass quantities of people more details about myself and my plans than I am comfortable sharing.

If you take the Target example, they are compiling tons of data on you as a shopper. They know when you or your wife is pregnant. The big difference to me is that some guy in a cubicle in Minnesota is compiling that data and using it to send out coupons. I am one of millions of faceless names in a customer database. They aren't making the personal data they have compiled on me available to every cashier in every Target store. I would be disturbed if I walked into my local Target and the cashier said to me congrats on your wife's pregnancy and I hope your rash has cleared up. What Disney is doing sounds like the equivalent of that. I don't have a problem being a faceless name in a database of millions of guests but I do have an issue when info that I have not chosen to share with some waiter in a restaurant appears on his iPad.

So now we're worried NextGen is going to enable sexual predator cast members???

alphac2005

I personally wouldn't put Kennedy anywhere near the top place let us run her division and keep it at that.

Not to be jackass, but I love how these individuals are spoken about like most any of the members on the forum actually know how they'd perform and their business style. Ugh. Taking a studio head and making them the head of a massive worldwide corporation, that can be quite the leap.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So now we're worried NextGen is going to enable sexual predator cast members???

There's no we. It's my opinion. I have no clue if anyone else is worried about anything. If you are asking me the question if I'm worried about that, the answer is yes, absolutely. When the suggestion of this system enabling sexual predators first came up a few spirited threads ago I was quick to dismiss it. My rationale was that the data collected wouldn't just be available to any cast member. I thought a predator who worked there would still need to circumvent some security to get at the data to use for harm. According to 74's latest post that is not the case. Its right there on the iPad. There is a documented history of less desirable people working at WDW in the past including sexual predators. There are something like 50,000 people working at WDW, are you confident that none are going to be up to no good?

WDWDad13

There's no we. It's my opinion. I have no clue if anyone else is worried about anything. If you are asking me the question if I'm worried about that, the answer is yes, absolutely. When the suggestion of this system enabling sexual predators first came up a few spirited threads ago I was quick to dismiss it. My rationale was that the data collected wouldn't just be available to any cast member. I thought a predator who worked there would still need to circumvent some security to get at the data to use for harm. According to 74's latest post that is not the case. Its right there on the iPad. There is a documented history of less desirable people working at WDW in the past including sexual predators. There are something like 50,000 people working at WDW, are you confident that none are going to be up to no good?

wow

Captain Chaos

Stop trying to have intelligent conversations with Defenders of The Rat and Dusters... You just cannot have one... It is impossible... They truly live in a fantasy land...

Funmeister

Predators are everywhere. Disney has 62,000+ Cast Members in Florida. I am not even talking about just sexual predators but financial predators. Someone would have to be a fool to think that all of those Cast Members are honest and whistle while you work clean as Mary f'ing Poppins!

The "Leave A Legacy" debacle with guests personal CREDIT CARD info was hacked and that technology did not give a limited number of Cast Members no where CLOSE to the private information that Next Gen will/does.

Great post GoofGoof! So @WDWDad13 who will you blame WHEN, not IF, it happens to you? Honest question. Please respond.

Goofyernmost

I'm...wow...not sure what to say to that...o_O

MiB makes Buzz look...sad.
There are a lot of things at Uni that makes Disney look sad. A lot of them don't even exist anymore and they were better then some Disney attractions. King Kong and Jaws comes to mind. But they, in my opinion, should never have taken out BTTF for the Simpsons. That ride S U C K S ! It is their own Imagination Pavilion.

WDWDad13

Predators are everywhere. Disney has 62,000+ Cast Members in Florida. I am not even talking about just sexual predators but financial predators. Someone would have to be a fool to think that all of those Cast Members are honest and whistle while you work clean as Mary f'ing Poppins!

The "Leave A Legacy" debacle with guests personal CREDIT CARD info was hacked and that technology did not give a limited number of Cast Members no where CLOSE to the private information that Next Gen will/does.

Great post GoofGoof! So @WDWDad13 who will you blame WHEN, not IF, it happens to you? Honest question. Please respond.

I'd blame the person who did it not Disney and nextgen because things could happen today without nextgen

I'm more worried when I hand a credit or debit card to someone at a restaurant and they take it out of sight. Or maybe things like Facebook or google

To be honest in today's world I have a lot more to be concerned about and I certainly won't lose sleep over worrying about nextgen

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

OMG...this comes under the heading of "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that somebody isn't out to get me." Just to lightly address the predator aspect. Do you really think that someone is going to go through all the trouble of using that system to "get to their victim"? Wouldn't it just be easier to wonder the park and spot someone that looks like a good prospect? If they were able to identify and track via the system where a child was, wouldn't that require that the would not accidentally have the wrong band on that day? They aren't fastened like a prison bracelet. Why in the hell would they go to all that trouble when it would be so much easier to just go in person and locate the victim? There may be a lot of potential problems with NGE, but that is not one of them.

EDIT: Assuming someone can call up and identify a specific number with that of a child of a specific gender. What is the likelihood that that child was by themselves? By the time you looked up all the associated numbers you would have forgotten what you were planning to do. And also, it isn't likely that the child will just stand in that one spot until you get there either. Do you keep a running GPS location on them? Really, not a serious threat. Just being in the park is a much bigger one and I don't hear anyone saying that they aren't going to go because something might happen. Don't forget those 62,000 cast member are out and about all the time.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd blame the person who did it not Disney and nextgen because things could happen today without nextgen

I'm more worried when I hand a credit or debit card to someone at a restaurant and they take it out of sight. Or maybe things like Facebook

To be honest in today's world I have a lot more to be concerned about and I certainly won't lose sleep over worrying about nextgen

I'm not losing sleep over it, but I still don't like it. There are bad people everywhere and I don't blame Disney when an employee does something wrong currently. I'm sure they do some form of background checks or security before hiring. I just can't see why you would want that many cast members to have access to that much personal info. Its just too tempting. If something happens as a result Disney could be opening themselves up for a serious lawsuit not to mention the horrible PR. This isn't credit card info we are talking about. It's literally a list of where I'm going to be and at what time for the remainder of my trip.

WDWDad13

OMG...this comes under the heading of "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that somebody isn't out to get me." Just to lightly address the predator aspect. Do you really think that someone is going to go through all the trouble of using that system to "get to their victim"? Wouldn't it just be easier to wonder the park and spot someone that looks like a good prospect? If they were able to identify and track via the system where a child was, wouldn't that require that the would not accidentally have the wrong band on that day? They aren't fastened like a prison bracelet. Why in the hell would they go to all that trouble when it would be so much easier to just go in person and locate the victim? There may be a lot of potential problems with NGE, but that is not one of them.

Yeah but didn't you hear? NextGen is to blame for all the world's problems lol

WDWDad13

I'm not losing sleep over it, but I still don't like it. There are bad people everywhere and I don't blame Disney when an employee does something wrong currently. I'm sure they do some form of background checks or security before hiring. I just can't see why you would want that many cast members to have access to that much personal info. Its just too tempting. If something happens as a result Disney could be opening themselves up for a serious lawsuit not to mention the horrible PR. This isn't credit card info we are talking about. It's literally a list of where I'm going to be and at what time for the remainder of my trip.

So??? Personal information to me are things like health records, bank account information, etc NOT where I'm going to be at IN the Disney Resort area

The old way you had a room key and tickets have your identity with a fingerprint captured on file not to mention dining reservations (omg they are gonna know where my family is eating and when!)

they knew my family, the children's ages, and where we were staying too. No big deal

truth be told they could have been doing this type of data collection a long time ago....it's not magic, rocket science, or anything with pixie dust

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The predator aspect was an extreme example, but why leave even a slight door open. My original example was a kid in the college program who hits on a girl who doesn't give him the time of day. He now has the girl's entire itinerary for the rest of her stay. Maybe he shows up at Raglan Road on Tuesday night and "bumps" into her. I just find it creepy that a cast member has all of that info on me or someone in my party just by swiping my band.

Funmeister

I'm more worried when I hand a credit or debit card to someone at a restaurant and they take it out of sight. Or maybe things like Facebook or google

Your first line has to be the most naive statement I have ever read. When an employee...Cast Member...is on the clock they are a representative of Disney and Next Gen.

So by Disney creating a system that exposes too much info to people who have no business seeing it and creating the possibility of wrong doing should not considered negligent? Your family is in GREAT hands! Good luck with that.

WDWDad13

Your first line has to be the most naive statement I have ever read. When an employee...Cast Member...is on the clock they are a representative of Disney and Next Gen.

So by Disney creating a system that exposes too much info to people who have no business seeing it and creating the possibility of wrong doing should not considered negligent? Your family is in GREAT hands! Good luck with that.

Oh my lord....you need a vacation but you better not make a reservation or tell anyone so no one knows when and where ya know just in case

Honestly maybe it's just me but I feel VERY safe at WDW even if they tracked my every move while inside THEIR resort area

Funmeister

So??? Personal information to me are things like health records, bank account information, etc NOT where I'm going to be at IN the Disney Resort area

The old way you had a room key and tickets have your identity with a fingerprint captured on file not to mention dining reservations (omg they are gonna know where my family is eating and when!)

they knew my family, the children's ages, and where we were staying too. No big deal

truth be told they could have been doing this type of data collection a long time ago....it's not magic, rocket science, or anything with pixie dust

That is why you come across as a troll. You mix your points because you cannot clearly express your point of view. The technology was never the issue it is HOW THE TECHNOLOGY could be taken advantage of to do wrong doing.

It is not an issue of what the company knows but what dishonest people who have access to....nevermind. Not worth it...

Goofyernmost

The predator aspect was an extreme example, but why leave even a slight door open. My original example was a kid in the college program who hits on a girl who doesn't give him the time of day. He now has the girl's entire itinerary for the rest of her stay. Maybe he shows up at Raglan Road on Tuesday night and "bumps" into her. I just find it creepy that a cast member has all of that info on me or someone in my party just by swiping my band.
That's the point...living from day to day leaves that door open all the time. If one is wanting to do you or anyone harm, they don't need a computer to help them in a place like Disney. That just adds another step to the procedure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

truth be told they could have been doing this type of data collection a long time ago

You are missing the point. The waiter at Be Our Guest didn't have access to any of my info when I had a room key, tickets or my finger print scanned. He may have scanned my credit card or room key if I was on the meal plan, but that is all. All of that info existed in a database, but access was limited to those who needed it and even if you found my info its just a name and some info in a system. Now it's face to face and the waiter is looking at me and seeing all of my info on his screen. That's the part that's creepy. I already said I didn't have much of an issue with being a faceless name in some database filled with millions of guests.

WDWDad13

That is why you come across as a troll. You mix your points because you cannot clearly express your point of view. The technology was never the issue it is HOW THE TECHNOLOGY could be taken advantage of to do wrong doing.

It is not an issue of what the company knows but what dishonest people who have access to....nevermind. Not worth it...

Dishonest people or sexual predators don't need nextgen to be bad people. You're trying and stretching hard but nextgen isn't going to cause more crime at Disney world I don't care who has my info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom