Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

lazyboy97o

I don't care whether the risk is unique to MM+. That is corporate backpedaling if I ever heard it. The issue is that Disney has been telling people that the security of their info is the biggest concern and that privacy is fine in the hands of Mickey.
Whether or not it is unique to MyMagic+ is incredibly important because it determines the scale and extent of the problem. Something unique to MyMagic+ can be a relatively small hiccup in the translation of data from existing systems into the system. Something not unique to MyMagic+ suggests an even wider flaw that was present in the previous systems and is therefore not new, having existed for some time.

I also have not seen where it has been stated that entire credit card profiles have been visible. That would be a very serious issue as any system I have used does not even let me look at my entire credit card number, just the last four digits.

Cosmic Commando

It's just like a pen pal program. Disney is trying to help everyone meet a new friend. "Hey Mary Johnson of 23 Norlearl Dr in Gatlinsburg, TN? Yeah this is Jon in Buffalo, NY. You know, the one whose reservation you have on the Disney website? Yup, yup! I got yours, too! Cool, huh? Can you get me into Shutters on 10/1? Thanks. Need me to book Bibbidi Bobbidi or Akershus for you and little Susie while I've got your reservation on my computer? I saw that she really likes Cinderella..."

Jeez, relax people!

Tiggerrules

Whether or not it is unique to MyMagic+ is incredibly important because it determines the scale and extent of the problem. Something unique to MyMagic+ can be a relatively small hiccup in the translation of data from existing systems into the system. Something not unique to MyMagic+ suggests an even wider flaw that was present in the previous systems and is therefore not new, having existed for some time.

I also have not seen where it has been stated that entire credit card profiles have been visible. That would be a very serious issue as any system I have used does not even let me look at my entire credit card number, just the last four digits.

As long as the retailer is following PCI Compliance regulations that is all you should see. Most retailers follow these regulations as it lowers the merchant fees also. For our business we had to jump through several hoops and have the systems periodically checked to remain PCI compliant. Even though CC info is not being shown, I still do not like the idea of someone unknown person having access to my profile. These are issues that should have been addressed long before going live with this part of the system.

MattM

I am NEVER done ranting. Life ain't worth living if you can't draw attention to the vast inequities that exist ... it's scary, but I heard Suze Orman saying the same thing on CNBC yesterday during a talking head segment about gas prices. We don't have an economy that can sustain $3 a gallon gas, yet the commodity traders/speculators wants $4 or $5. It amazes me that people think folks can survive on $7.75 an hour (BTW, I heard the minimum wage in Austrailia is over twice that ... probably explains all the lazy drunk Aussies I've had to work with on my international teams).

So ... any blogger snag a picture of Georgie K yet?
Fixed that. Not everything in this country is the fault of the big bad lobbyists.

MattM

I think in general the theme parks are losing there appeal to the company. I was just going my shareholder stuff for the up coming meeting and parks and resorts was a very distant second if not third to their media networks division. Iger being a network guy has built up the networks because that is what he knew. I can definitely see TWDC selling both parks and having a controlling interest. Disney is just another name in Igers stable, like Lucas, Marvel, and Pixar. The image of the company and Walt are slowing being washed away as people who remember the quality that Walt Disney once stood for pass on. I can honestly say that with in the next 10 to 15 years the company's name will be changed to just The Disney Company and Walt will truly be dead.

Do you mean it was placed second or third in terms of items discussed?

MattM

I watched this story this morning, and maybe I'm being too harsh, but I was really more upset with the parents on this one. As parents, yes it's our job to protect our children, but this was not some stranger abducting and molesting their child. It's a sad world we live in where there are people capable of using children to carry in weapons, explosives, etc. But the truth is, these people do exist, so we have rules in place to protect innocent people from dying at the hands of terrorists. We might not like it, and indeed we might resent it, but it's the way things are done, and we do our kids a great disservice if we don't prepare them for following rules.
In the case of this child, extra measures were necessary, and they will continue to be throughout her life.

*steps off soapbox*

Oh please.

Goofyernmost

Yep. Most people who scream for higher wages sign the backs of checks, not the fronts.
Cute reply, but if one tried it couldn't get more simplistic. The guy that signs the front of the check also knows what the bank balance is, what the projected income is and what the overall overhead cost. It would be wonderful if all businesses could jump up salaries to livable numbers, but having a small paycheck is sometimes preferable to having none, and that hits the guy that no longer has the back of a check to sign.

All businesses do not have multi-million dollar budgets, not all businesses are wildly successful, many are marginal and just barely hang on. If one could guarantee that if a small business goes out of business, (bankrupt for lack of a better term) a big business with a big cash flow will jump in there and hire the displaced employees wouldn't that be nice. In a perfect world everything would have a happy ending, in this one there's hardly ever one. That statement also implies that all business owners are crooks and want to have their employee's living in squalor so they themselves will get rich. I don't really think I have to explain just how untrue that is do I?

Animaniac93-98

The model country for dealing with unemployment is Switzerland. There, eductaional institutions, government and industry are coordinated to ensure that the right type of student gets a job, and the right type too. Also, only a small % go to university to get a degree (to prevent underemployment). Options are also designed into the overall process to ensure that people also have a chance to change their mind if they want to.

Would never happen in the US (or most countries) though. The likelihood of those three sectors having any kind of proper coordination is low, and the very decentralized government system would only further muddle any efforts.

I bring up students and education into the mix, because while I agree minimum wage jobs are not meant for "careers" (though raising it to $9 or $10 probably wouldn't kill ayone), it often is a dead end for many due to other roadblocks for job growth. Those include not having the education to get a better job (or the money to get one), having the education but not being able to compete with someone overseas who'll do the job for less, an older, more experienced candidate, or a machine and a lack of opportunities due to a lack of desire by government or industry to spend on anything from projects to employee development. It's all a perfect combination for unemployement/underemployment, and all without easy, quick fix answers, unfortunately.

Genie of the Lamp

The model country for dealing with unemployment is Switzerland. There, eductaional institutions, government and industry are coordinated to ensure that the right type of student gets a job, and the right type too). Also, only a small % go to university to get a degree (to prevent underemployment). Options are also designed into the overall process to ensure that people also have a chance to change their mind if they want to.

Would never happen in the US (or most countries) though. The likelihood of those three sectors having any kind of proper coordination is low, and the very decentralized government system would only further muddle any efforts.

The majority economists use your statement as a model for dealing with un/underemployment. As someone who knew of a friend that spent a semester abroad studying Economics at FHS ST Gallen in Saint Gallen, Switzerland I can say that the statement above is absolutely true. Most people (non econs) would say to use china as a model country, but I think like you in that Switzerland is the one we should be looking at. Yeah would never happen in the US though since they encourage kids to go to college to further advance your placement/ranking.

NoChesterHester

Relax, Chester. We're talking economics amongst many things. If you don't like the thread or the discussion there are literally hundreds and hundreds of others or you can start one of your own. I don't get why someone comes in and about a topic. ... Change the damn channel and watch something else.

While I appreciate your contributions, this thread isn't "yours." This is a public message board. Not closed. Many have opined and contributed including me. Am I not allowed to disagree or voice displeasure with the direction of a group conversation?

There are plenty of ways to give insight without lacing in comments about a current national political debate. It is obvious what side you come down on and while that is your business, disagreement with the approach shouldn't elicit a "get the hell out then" reaction.

The very discussion of inequity is based in opinion and perspective. It isn't as black and white issue as you make it out to be. I'd be happy to explain my point of view, but I dont care to hijack a really good conversation about the state of the Florida Disney Parks with another post on minimum wage.

MattM

Cute reply, but if one tried it couldn't get more simplistic. The guy that signs the front of the check also knows what the bank balance is, what the projected income is and what the overall overhead cost. It would be wonderful if all businesses could jump up salaries to livable numbers, but having a small paycheck is sometimes preferable to having none, and that hits the guy that no longer has the back of a check to sign.

All businesses do not have multi-million dollar budgets, not all businesses are wildly successful, many are marginal and just barely hang on. If one could guarantee that if a small business goes out of business, (bankrupt for lack of a better term) a big business with a big cash flow will jump in there and hire the displaced employees wouldn't that be nice. In a perfect world everything would have a happy ending, in this one there's hardly ever one. That statement also implies that all business owners are crooks and want to have their employee's living in squalor so they themselves will get rich. I don't really think I have to explain just how untrue that is do I?

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here someone (don't know if it is the same as WDW1974 is talking about, but it's someone on here)...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ed-park-maps-coming-soon.860435/#post-5337618

This sounds similar to the issue the person on DIS board was having. They did say that at first they could see the other person's entire profile and then the next day they could not, but the name still appeared wrong. From both examples it does not appear that the person whose name and info was appearing was related in any way. Really strange and definitely disturbing.

Goofyernmost

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.
Could be...explain it to me. If I take it word for word, you are saying that the only people that are at all concerned about higher wages are those that are receiving low ones. And that business owners do not care at all and are only paying lower wages to increase their own personal income. Is that wrong?

Bolna

Just happened across a survey on the WDW website. The first question it asked me after the usual preliminaries was whether after my visit today I would trust Disney more/less/equal. I wonder whether there is a correlation between the issues we see and that question?

Also was asked whether I agree with the statement "Visiting Disneyworld.com is a magical experience"... :confused:

John

Could be...explain it to me. If I take it word for word, you are saying that the only people that are at all concerned about higher wages are those that are receiving low ones. And that business owners do not care at all and are only paying lower wages to increase their own personal income. Is that wrong?

Not trying to be a butt-insky here nor will I tey to speak for MattM. I just wanted to tell you what I got out of the statement.....That the person who signs the back of the check are usaually the people who want a raise and the person who signs the front understands/knows what the cost are giving said raise. Even some of the biggest companies have minimum wage workers. ANy increase of wages/benifits are a direct result in profits and the ability to operate. Saying it" wouldnt hurt no one if the minimum wage was $9 or $10 ) is just mistaken.

Lets take a small mom and pop ice cream store. They have three or four kids working. You increase the mimimum wage a few bucks and your actually are adding another employee in actual cost....which could be the difference to staying open and operate. The buisness no longer is profitable and they close. Now the first three or four kids have no job. There are probably millions of small buisness's like this all over the country. What about the person who might have worked for Mc D's or Walmart for a few yrs and have worked thier way up a bit to maybe a asst. manager. They make $10.00 an hour. You raise minimum wage to $10. Now that employer has to raise the asst. mgrs wage. It has a ripple effect. Just for the sake of full disclosure...I am not a small buisness owner who employs minimum wage workers. Also anyone who is in favor of a minimum wage increase can not deny that if there was an increase there wouldnt be a direct effect on the cost of living....Which effects everyone. To those people who are barley staying afloat will find themselves sinking below. What do you tell these people? I am not defending the minimum wage as @WDW1974 says...I am just giving another point of view. I think that just saying....go ahead and raise the minimum wage a few bucks...is being short sighted. That it will not make the difference people think it will. That it could actually have a negative effect in some way.

Animaniac93-98

Not trying to be a butt-insky here nor will I tey to speak for MattM. I just wanted to tell you what I got out of the statement.....That the person who signs the back of the check are usaually the people who want a raise and the person who signs the front understands/knows what the cost are giving said raise. Even some of the biggest companies have minimum wage workers. ANy increase of wages/benifits are a direct result in profits and the ability to operate. Saying it" wouldnt hurt no one if the minimum wage was $9 or $10 ) is just mistaken.

Lets take a small mom and pop ice cream store. They have three or four kids working. You increase the mimimum wage a few bucks and your actually are adding another employee in actual cost....which could be the difference to staying open and operate. The buisness no longer is profitable and they close. Now the first three or four kids have no job. There are probably millions of small buisness's like this all over the country. What about the person who might have worked for Mc D's or Walmart for a few yrs and have worked thier way up a bit to maybe a asst. manager. They make $10.00 an hour. You raise minimum wage to $10. Now that employer has to raise the asst. mgrs wage. It has a ripple effect. Just for the sake of full disclosure...I am not a small buisness owner who employs minimum wage workers. Also anyone who is in favor of a minimum wage increase can not deny that if there was an increase there wouldnt be a direct effect on the cost of living....Which effects everyone. To those people who are barley staying afloat will find themselves sinking below. What do you tell these people? I am not defending the minimum wage as @WDW1974 says...I am just giving another point of view. I think that just saying....go ahead and raise the minimum wage a few bucks...is being short sighted. That it will not make the difference people think it will. That it could actually have a negative effect in some way.

There's a few problems with this thinking. It doesn't consider how much the raise in the cost of living would be offset by the raise in wages (as discussed before), how much more business would be generated by the raise in employee income, what else contributes to the cost of living (such as tax rates and access to and quality of public services) and other countires that have minimum wages around $10, but lower unemployement rates than the US (like Canada). You're argument makes sense from a simple, short-term business perspective, but that's also a major problem. This whole argument can't be broken down into basic either/or scenarios, especially when the numbers given aren't very well justified and given little context. I get what you're saying, but this isn't that easy an situation to solve.

Also, if I were offered an assistant manager position at $10/hr, I'd quit that job. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom