Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

John

And shouldn't that be the case?

Not where I come from, I work for a very small compnany...7 employees. I care very much about the plight of my company. It has a direct effect on my ability to make a living. Maybe thats why I have been there for 26 yrs and make a nice living for myself. Would I like my salary cut buy 56% ( just a number) or 40%...I have. about four years ago I made 40% more then I do now. Had nothing to do with my employer though. Had everything to do with that ponzi scheme you speak of. But I dont expect anyone to compensate me for it. No....you know what I had to do....WORK HARDER!

Isn't that common sense?

"common sense" is a relative term isnt it?

We live in a nation where many people feel there shouldn't even be a minimum wage.

Not me, I believe there should be one.

Having no idea what you do or how much you make, how about we just cut your salary by 56% (just a number)? Too high? OK, how about a flat 40%? You still OK with that? Or would you have an issue if you made $1 less than what you are supposed to/have been?

Not sure what the point is here? Some how are you saying that if I am making a certian hourly wage and it was cut vs Minimum wage? That minimum wage is not making what they supposed to make? I thought people a lot smarter then you and I have decided what minimum wage was. IMO maybe minimum wage be tied to the cost of living and inflation? I dunno....but to just say....raise the minimum wage....isnt the answer either.

Figments Friend

Exactly. You may want to head over to the Disney and More blog. They put up the original Walt Disney is coming to Florida press conference.
... it is an interesting glimpse as to what Walt was thinking about with the property now known as WDW.

I am sure he was NOT thinking about time share rackets....

;)

Magenta Panther

Heh...this reminds me of a great story once told by one of those Imagineers and thinkers.
Went by the name of John Hench.

His story was about the time he was hired many years ago to provide a short opening sequence for a film for a outside, non-Disney studio. At that time John was fully entrenched on various creative projects with Walt, and the story he told perfectly illustrated how *other* companies sometimes viewed their customers. He felt, as Walt did, that you should really LIKE your Guests/customers...and show that through your efforts and product. If you show that you LIKE your customers, they will respond positively to your efforts/products and LIKE you too. Both parties then have a happy relationship both as a business and a customer base.
John*s experience during his side project with this alternative studio made it clear that many organizations do not, and this usually leads to bad relations and poor business.

So the story goes that John was hired to film a short opening sequence involving a live eagle swooping down in front of the camera and landing on a rock. He was provided with a trained eagle, but the bird was too old for the stunt and stumbled on the rock once it landed. He filmed a few takes, and then played the footage for the studio reps.
At the showing , John thought the footage was not up to a good quaility standard, as the bird looked clumsy landing on the rock. After the film clip ended, he commented that he could do a better job of it, and make the eagle land in a better way to make it appear to be a conqueror in a reshoot.
The director right then and there said *No, do not even bother as the b******s will not even know the difference.*
This was his studio*s audience this guy was talking about....their customer base. He viewed them as Bs !

The comment surprised John and made him realize this studio could care less about the quality of their product and cared even less about the people who consumed it.
They did not LIKE their customers.
By not liking their customers, the product suffered and quality went out the window.
He felt it was important that businesses, particularly in entertainment, should LIKE their customers.

His story reminds me of some aspects of today*s WDC...and the currant thought processes going on these days within the Company.

Do the higher ups LIKE their customer base?
MM+ and all the NextGen stuff we have been hearing about seems to send some very mixed messages.

I would love to hear more about what Tony thought of all of this MM+ jazz....
Has anyone heard any more from him since he *left*?

I just hope he is not sitting at home, seriously depressed.
:oops:

Hmph. I bet he'd be more depressed if he were still working as an Imagineer.

Good story, BTW, about Walt's approach to his customers. You nailed the number one problem with TWDC today: a contempt for its customers. The company seems eager to exploit them in any way possible, while displaying a disdainful attitude towards offering them anything beyond the bare minimum. Again: broken Yeti. The thing's been paralyzed inside the Everest ride for YEARS and nothing's been done about it. The new Little Mermaid ride: One decent AA, a lovely queue, but everything else is cheap, plastic, bargain-basement and extremely poor show, unless you're like, 5 years old. What a pity. You know, it's kind of fitting that the TDA gang is the only group working within TWDC that seem to have some of Walt's spirit: Buena Vista Street is wonderful, thoroughly charming, even though it does pretty much consist of just more gift shops. As for Cars Land...it's to TDA's credit that it's as elaborate and delightful as it is, although one can only guess how cheezy it could have been had not John Lasseter been invested in it.

Frankly I think TDO has the same contempt/exploitative feelings about Walt. It features him on the Castle show, it sells his image on T-shirts, but it doesn't even try to live up to his standards. Sad, just sad.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You explictly tag me in a post and act like you drew me out of the woodwork? Please.. like many of the other things you don't understand.. I've been preoccupied for a few days and frankly there is little of interest here lately to post about.

No. I am sure with your OCD-like personality that you just happened to disappear when I was busy with work and life and, therefore, there wasn't much trashing of Disney's NGE. But it's nice you were able to return ... on Oscar Sunday, no less. Too bad you aren't at the BW now, some VIPs are having a big bash there and I'm sure that they'd welcome you!

You don't care because you don't really care about the facts or specifics - just your higher level slam campaign. The distinctions are important... well important to anyone truely interested in how/why and how to fix things. You're becoming the Fox News of WDWMagic... take a slice, understand nothing, but still rant about how this means so many other things.

Of course I care about facts and specifics and I try and put them forth when I have them. I just did so with information from the exec test of MM+. ... But, yes, compare me to FOX News because you know how much I despise the ignorance they preach to a choir.

I understand plenty of this. I have talked about it here for years now as info has been given to me. I don't have to defend myself to you as I don't have a pony in this race. I've never worked in datamining.

It is their responsibility - but if you want to discuss why things happen.. you must actually understand what is happening.. not take end symptoms and just flail around. Problem solving is based on establishing what you do know, and growing outward from that into what you did not know before.

Again, instead of discussing the issues and how they are a result of poorly integrated/managed and/or programmed technology, you want to act like a professor and teach me about problem solving. You aren't a professor. I am not a student. And I'll put my 'feeble' intellect up against yours on many topics -- the technology and mindset behind datamining would be something I'd defer to you.

My comment about 'dirty data' is theory on why they are struggling with ADRs and identifying owners properly. The idea of profiles being crossed is something much more severe. That's why I said it would be interesting to hear what Disney is feeding their front line people in identifying and handling those cases.

Excuse me, but is there any even remote criticism of Disney in the paragraph above? How about on the problems of technology and privacy? Any criticism?

No - it's you continuing to talk about topics you clearly are uneducated in. Protocol is how things are done. A failure in a component is not 'breach in protocol' - it's a system failure, bug, or flawed design.

If you follow protocol - and the system still fails - it wasn't a 'breach in protocol' - it was a failure. Failure that may be found to be avoidable or even a mistake - but again... use the right terminology if you are going to be a critic.

Didn't they ever teach you 'know your audience'? It's better to say nothing at all than to keep mouthing off with bad info.

I probably should have just quoted the above graphs and let them speak for themselves. I'm fairly certain that your problem here is that you don't know your audience. You are coming off like an exec at ... say ... Cisco ... who is talking to a bunch of team members in a board room of some big tech project, like ... say NGE.

The above is all semantics designed to make it appear that my point has no validity. ... I may be a themed entertainment critic, but I am not a datamining tech critic and that isn't what I am here for. So, no, I am not changing my English into corporate-techie speak. If you want to talk like that go right ahead.

Protocol as used by YOU ... 'just another Disney fan' posting on a Disney fan forum ... would be defined as ''[The] special set of rules that endpoints in a telecommunication connection use when they communicate.'' No, Flynn, this is not the definition I'd be using when I use the term on a Disney fan forum. Actually, when you write responses like this one, it doesn't make me think you have a pony in the race. It makes me think you're the veterinarian working in the stables.

Now ... where was my info 'bad'?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do the higher ups LIKE their customer base?
MM+ and all the NextGen stuff we have been hearing about seems to send some very mixed messages.

I would love to hear more about what Tony thought of all of this MM+ jazz....
Has anyone heard any more from him since he *left*?

I just hope he is not sitting at home, seriously depressed.
:oops:

Most of the higher ups are top one or two percenters. They have no idea what it is like to experience the product like the average guest does. There was a time when many Disney execs (and even some of their publicity hacks) openly mocked the product. I'll never forget when working at WDW when a publicist came to me shocked that I had an AP and had had one since 1982 and asked me 'why would you pay to come here?'' Yes, really. And she was a $60,000 a year hack. Not a top level exec.

As to Tony, all you have to do is READ his letter and you'll know what he thinks about MM+ ... that's really all I care to say on that subject, sorry! Since Tony and Co are still playing the political game, I need to respect that and hold my tongue (not literally, I have a fanboi to do that!) ;-)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not where I come from, I work for a very small compnany...7 employees. I care very much about the plight of my company. It has a direct effect on my ability to make a living. Maybe thats why I have been there for 26 yrs and make a nice living for myself. Would I like my salary cut buy 56% ( just a number) or 40%...I have. about four years ago I made 40% more then I do now. Had nothing to do with my employer though. Had everything to do with that ponzi scheme you speak of. But I dont expect anyone to compensate me for it. No....you know what I had to do....WORK HARDER!

In early 2008, I had the chance to remain with my company and take a 40 percent pay cut or leave. I walked out. It paved the way for me to accept a lucrative contract to live/work in China. I don't regret it for one day. Oh, and within 18 months of me leaving my company (a large one with hundreds of employees and more contractors all over the country) was bought and shut down.

It all had to do with greedy and incompetent management. I have no second thoughts. I wouldn't have been able to look at myself in the mirror if I took ANY pay cut, let alone a substantial one.

I don't know your work circumstances and I don't intend to share more about mine, but I think it is important to look at it thru a broader prism than any one individual.

Workers shouldn't exist soley as numbers to feed an ever more voracious Wall Street. That is the overall American reality today. It's nice that you chose to work harder, but some people are ... many people are working as hard as they can (and their kids/families are suffering for it) at one or multiple jobs and they are drowning. But the DOW is over 14000. American can't live for Wall Street or our society will go down the toilet, it's already circling the bowl in many ways.

"common sense" is a relative term isnt it?

No, you either have it or you don't. ... Just watch WDW visitors when you return!

Not sure what the point is here? Some how are you saying that if I am making a certian hourly wage and it was cut vs Minimum wage? That minimum wage is not making what they supposed to make? I thought people a lot smarter then you and I have decided what minimum wage was. IMO maybe minimum wage be tied to the cost of living and inflation? I dunno....but to just say....raise the minimum wage....isnt the answer either.

Minimum wage has little to do with inflation/real world standards much like Disney prices don't reflect that (if they did, I think a one day ticket would be about $60 now ... I recall someone here did a breakdown a while back!)

Raising it is a start. Not the entire answer, but the start. We need to decide whether we care about the underclass of angry people (many armed and with nothing to lose) we are creating in this country and basically telling them 'you're worthless ... go flip burgers ... oh, you have a college degree ... wow!!! the guy before you had three!'

ParentsOf4

Workers shouldn't exist soley as numbers to feed an ever more voracious Wall Street. That is the overall American reality today. It's nice that you chose to work harder, but some people are ... many people are working as hard as they can (and their kids/families are suffering for it) at one or multiple jobs and they are drowning. But the DOW is over 14000. American can't live for Wall Street or our society will go down the toilet, it's already circling the bowl in many ways.
In 1960, the CEO-to-worker compensation ratio was about 20-to-1.

In 1980, that number had risen to about 30-to-1.

As recently as 1990, the number was under 60-to-1.

In 2011, the ratio stands at 231-to-1.

Would you rather have today's economy or the 1960s economy?

I know what CEOs' answers would be.
Minimum wage has little to do with inflation/real world standards much like Disney prices don't reflect that (if they did, I think a one day ticket would be about $60 now ... I recall someone here did a breakdown a while back!)
Disney started offering hopper tickets that included all attractions with the opening of Epcot in 1982. Disney-MGM Studios opened in 1989, followed by DAK in 1998. The following 10-year spans compare median household income with ticket prices, assuming a WDW vacation in 1982 was 3 days (2 days for MK, 1 day for Epcot) and grew by one day as each park was added.

Median Household Income: $19,004
3-Day WDW ticket ($35) price-per-day: $11.67
Ticket/income percentage: 0.0614%

Median Household Income: $29,448
4-Day WDW ticket ($130.46) price-per-day: $32.62
Ticket/income percentage: 0.11076%

Median Household Income: $41,620
5-Day WDW ticket ($243.89) price-per-day: $48.78
Ticket/income percentage: 0.11720%

Median Household Income: $50,054 (estimated)
5-Day WDW ticket ($484.58) price-per-day: $96.92
Ticket/income percentage: 0.19362%

What's obvious is that even the ticket price-per-day has grown tremendously since 1982. In addition, WDW has grown (which is good), meaning that the length of a "full" WDW vacation has grown as well, making it even more difficult for families to afford WDW. Of course, families can simply buy three-day tickets today but, as we all know, today's WDW tickets are heavily front-loaded. Today's WDW comes out significantly less favorable (in terms of cost) when comparing a 3-day ticket in 1982 to a 3-day ticket in 2012.

A 2012 3-day base ticket (i.e. no hopping and no water parks) costs $257.73. Even as recently as 10 years ago, a 3-day Ultimate Hopper (which included hopping & water parks) cost $164.01, or $209.89 adjusted for inflation. Of course, as noted above, a 1982 3-day World Passport (included hopping) cost $35.00, or $83.50 adjusted for inflation. That's less than a one-day base ticket in 2012.

If you don't like those examples, then consider a more recent one:

In 2005, a 10-day Magic Your Way ticket with park hopping, water parks, and "No Expiration" cost $377.00.
In 2012, the same ticket cost $672.00.
That's a compound price increase of 8.6% annually.
That's a price difference of $295.00

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, $377.00 in 2005 is equivalent to $444.41 in 2012.
That's a compound price increase of 2.4% annually.
That's a price difference of $67.41.

Even in the last 7 years, with no new theme parks and few park additions, WDW prices have skyrocketed out of control.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No. I am sure with your OCD-like personality that you just happened to disappear when I was busy with work and life and, therefore, there wasn't much trashing of Disney's NGE

Wow.. you can't even see the noose before you hang it.. You repeat the same mistakes over and over. Yes, the world revolves around your posts :rolleyes: . When in reality... I've been leading the home ship because the wife is in WDW for the half marathon and I've been setting up and working this event since Thursday.. http://www.virginiapinball.com/news and handling a gymnastics meet.. AND a pony club event. But you knew none of this and even after I've TOLD you I'm not around.. you still throw horse @%$# around like my appearance or not has to do with your posts. Get over yourself. I've been out working with real people, real friends, and making a real impact until past 3:30am the last three nights.. after playing dad all day long.

Hopefully everyone sees this for exactly what it is.. the fact that lack of any knowledge what-so-ever never stops you from making accusations or inferences that you have absolutely nothing to stand on. You talk about echo chambers in twitter.. you should take a look at that distortion field around yourself.

Ciciwoowoo

Spirit, I believe you posted something along the line of welcoming discussion here, and so please forgive me interjecting something that may be perceived as off topic, but here goes:

Anyone watch the Daytona 500 today? There is a car # 95. Driver is named Scott Speed.

Why isn't Disney sponsoring this car??? To me, this would be a no brainer, and certainly a better way to spend money than other projects.... :)

Lightning McQueen was car #95. And he says...Speed...I am Speed....

So, Disney people who are secretly reading this...please get on it. You are passing up a golden opportunity!

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Disney started offering hopper tickets that included all attractions with the opening of Epcot in 1982. Disney-MGM Studios opened in 1989, followed by DAK in 1998. The following 10-year spans compare median household income with ticket prices, assuming a WDW vacation in 1982 was 3 days (2 days for MK, 1 day for Epcot) and grew by one day as each park was added.

What's obvious is that even the ticket price-per-day has grown tremendously since 1982. In addition, WDW has grown (which is good), meaning that the length of a "full" WDW vacation has grown as well, making it even more difficult for families to afford WDW. Of course, families can simply buy three-day tickets today but, as we all know, today's WDW tickets are heavily front-loaded. Today's WDW comes out significantly less favorable (in terms of cost) when comparing a 3-day ticket in 1982 to a 3-day ticket in 2012.

A 2012 3-day base ticket (i.e. no hopping and no water parks) costs $257.73. Even as recently as 10 years ago, a 3-day Ultimate Hopper (which included hopping & water parks) cost $164.01, or $209.89 adjusted for inflation. Of course, as noted above, a 1982 3-day World Passport (included hopping) cost $35.00, or $83.50 adjusted for inflation. That's less than a one-day base ticket in 2012.

In 2005, a 10-day Magic Your Way ticket with park hopping, water parks, and "No Expiration" cost $377.00.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, $377.00 in 2005 is equivalent to $444.41 in 2012.

Even in the last 7 years, with no new theme parks and few park additions, WDW prices have skyrocketed out of control.

In general I am on the side of minimum wage increases. However, playing the devil's advocate with this WDW example above I can see how higher wages for entry level employees can lead to problems. Employee wages and benefits are a big part of the expenses of WDW. Let's say Disney decided to pay their front line CMs more money and raised their pay. If you kept everything else constant they would need to raise those already high ticket prices to keep up with the higher salaries. Sure, they could just reduce profit margins or the CEO could agree to forego a bonus but in the real world neither would happen. They would raise prices to compensate. The guests would bear the burden of the increase. For some its a reason to gripe, but they can still afford it, but maybe it prices some people out or maybe some just go into more cc debt to still go. Neither is a good outcome. If the price increases are steep enough then attendance drops and maybe they end up laying off workers. The same cast members they tried to help by increasing wages are now out of a job. Obviously there are a lot of ifs in there, but it makes a case for how wage increases can hurt a business and directly impact the very people they are meant to help.

Genie of the Lamp

Spirit, I believe you posted something along the line of welcoming discussion here, and so please forgive me interjecting something that may be perceived as off topic, but here goes:

Anyone watch the Daytona 500 today? There is a car # 95. Driver is named Scott Speed.

Why isn't Disney sponsoring this car??? To me, this would be a no brainer, and certainly a better way to spend money than other projects.... :)

Lightning McQueen was car #95. And he says...Speed...I am Speed....

So, Disney people who are secretly reading this...please get on it. You are passing up a golden opportunity!

To go along with your statement here, I found this interesting article in my local newspaper today in terms of the post Fiscal Cliff deal for Nascar and it's track owners:

http://triblive.com/usworld/nation/3399566-74/nascar-tax-million#axzz2LkgQ4nK4

But yeah they should at least be a secondary sponser or something. They could incorporate a lightning sticker or something. That Speed commercial idea of yours would be a great idea. He just has to start winning and throwing himself out there like Keslowski is doing now. Maybe then Disney would at least consider. But yeah back to Disney.

John

In general I am on the side of minimum wage increases. However, playing the devil's advocate with this WDW example above I can see how higher wages for entry level employees can lead to problems. Employee wages and benefits are a big part of the expenses of WDW. Let's say Disney decided to pay their front line CMs more money and raised their pay. If you kept everything else constant they would need to raise those already high ticket prices to keep up with the higher salaries. Sure, they could just reduce profit margins or the CEO could agree to forego a bonus but in the real world neither would happen. They would raise prices to compensate. The guests would bear the burden of the increase. For some its a reason to gripe, but they can still afford it, but maybe it prices some people out or maybe some just go into more cc debt to still go. Neither is a good outcome. If the price increases are steep enough then attendance drops and maybe they end up laying off workers. The same cast members they tried to help by increasing wages are now out of a job. Obviously there are a lot of ifs in there, but it makes a case for how wage increases can hurt a business and directly impact the very people they are meant to help.

TAAAAADDDDAAAAA A Disney tie-in.....and a nice one at that. I dont think you are playing devils advocate either. Just looking at it from another view.

Walt 1901

Do you mean it was placed second or third in terms of items discussed?
No it was second or third in revenue generated. I just believe they are going to sell a minority stake in the parks and just take the revenue and not be involved in the day to day running of the parks. Its a real shame to because the Florida property could be so much more if they would exploit some of the other areas besides the theme parks.

Walt 1901

Not trying to be a butt-insky here nor will I tey to speak for MattM. I just wanted to tell you what I got out of the statement.....That the person who signs the back of the check are usaually the people who want a raise and the person who signs the front understands/knows what the cost are giving said raise. Even some of the biggest companies have minimum wage workers. ANy increase of wages/benifits are a direct result in profits and the ability to operate. Saying it" wouldnt hurt no one if the minimum wage was $9 or $10 ) is just mistaken.

Lets take a small mom and pop ice cream store. They have three or four kids working. You increase the mimimum wage a few bucks and your actually are adding another employee in actual cost....which could be the difference to staying open and operate. The buisness no longer is profitable and they close. Now the first three or four kids have no job. There are probably millions of small buisness's like this all over the country. What about the person who might have worked for Mc D's or Walmart for a few yrs and have worked thier way up a bit to maybe a asst. manager. They make $10.00 an hour. You raise minimum wage to $10. Now that employer has to raise the asst. mgrs wage. It has a ripple effect. Just for the sake of full disclosure...I am not a small buisness owner who employs minimum wage workers. Also anyone who is in favor of a minimum wage increase can not deny that if there was an increase there wouldnt be a direct effect on the cost of living....Which effects everyone. To those people who are barley staying afloat will find themselves sinking below. What do you tell these people? I am not defending the minimum wage as @WDW1974 says...I am just giving another point of view. I think that just saying....go ahead and raise the minimum wage a few bucks...is being short sighted. That it will not make the difference people think it will. That it could actually have a negative effect in some way.
I manage a family owned Hardware Store and I am very democratic and I would have to say that raising the minimum wage to $10 means I probably have to be very selective in my hiring this season. I have to now hire an employee that gives me the most for my buck and usually that means that kids looking for summer work will lose out. I cant justify the expense of paying some kid $10 an hour to take out garbage, sweep the floors and clean the bathrooms. Those chores will be passed on to my other staff now.

Figments Friend

Most of the higher ups are top one or two percenters. They have no idea what it is like to experience the product like the average guest does. There was a time when many Disney execs (and even some of their publicity hacks) openly mocked the product. I'll never forget when working at WDW when a publicist came to me shocked that I had an AP and had had one since 1982 and asked me 'why would you pay to come here?'' Yes, really. And she was a $60,000 a year hack. Not a top level exec.

As to Tony, all you have to do is READ his letter and you'll know what he thinks about MM+ ... that's really all I care to say on that subject, sorry! Since Tony and Co are still playing the political game, I need to respect that and hold my tongue (not literally, I have a fanboi to do that!) ;-)

-
Agree....some are indeed quite clueless.
Totally blind to what the Company is supposed to be about ,which is supposed to be much more the just making a quick buck and having a rosey stock quote.

You worked the Park, Spirit?

In regards to Tony, i appreciate the respect you have for the man in not dwelling too deeply into his personal opinions. I sometimes think outloud, but know full well it is best to leave some things unsaid until the time is appropriate.
You are right in regards to his amazing letter....it truly is a eye and earful.
It is still impressive and insightful, even after the 20th read. A lot of depth there...and the quality of a well-thought out effort that provides thought processes on many levels.

Much like Tony*s attractions themselves....!

:)

Mouse Detective

Thanks for the great analysis.
The prices have skyrocketed because people are willing to pay the ever higher prices. As long as the loss of customers is offset by the fewer customers paying the higher prices, those prices will continue to go up. Every year I read the same thing on so many internet forums, "Another $7 isn't going to stop me from taking my vacation."
So it's the same story over and over again, year after year.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Thanks for the research.

It does show clear and factual that Disney sorta, kinda, yeah, gouges its guests annually.

Price increases on the way!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom