Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

HMF

This is the part that makes me even more wary. Not that it's just one person, but multiple people who are having the same problem. Sounds like MM+ definitely has a long way to go before it's live; the longer the better in my opinion.

And, still have a nice River Country beach towel in good shape - still use it! ;)
The best we can hope for at this point would be for this thing to have so many problems that by the time it is implemented fully many of the controversial aspects will be too toxic to implement. I for one am hoping for a full congressional investigation into the matter and changes in oversight policy to discourage any major corporation from trying to pull this type of stuff again

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Small business owner here. Just touching base to say, if min wage was $15 per hour. We would simply close up shop. We rely on unskilled labor. Paying that labor that kind of scratch would be stunningly irresponsible. Not every job is meant to be a career.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So do I. Unless we have a mutual friend, mine is higher up. ;)

Well, since my friends work under (but directly) the Prez, I'd guess that your pal is the head of said institution.

Maybe I could use all these connections for an honorary doctorate?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes - I'm defending Carnival.. :rolleyes: You should have been a painter or something and not a reporter/PR person.. because your deductive reasoning is poor.

Ah, unlike Beetlejuice you don't even have to call three times ... oh, and I'm quite good at what I do, but thanks for the advice.

As for the reports of pulling up wrong info.. I've only heard of one myself (the DIS report) but such a 'risk' is not unique to MM+ at all - Disney was at risk of doing this since they started doing online profiles and reservations from the start. Why issues now? Dunno. Is the risk widespread? Impossible to say without knowing what 'wires crossed' for this person.

Well, maybe instead of trying to do some work defending the Carnival Corp's rep, you could have researched this issues since it seems that NGE is nearer and dearer to you. There was a thread started either on this board or on General in the last 2-3 days that had people talking about similar issues. It was rather short when I last looked (only about two pages).

I don't care whether the risk is unique to MM+. That is corporate backpedaling if I ever heard it. The issue is that Disney has been telling people that the security of their info is the biggest concern and that privacy is fine in the hands of Mickey. And folks like yourself have chimed in with the same tired tune. Now, the system isn't even up and they're playing 'swap your MAGICal information with a new buddy that our computers picked for you!'

Again, you're like the guy behind the curtain saying ''nothing to look at here, stay away!''

Many of the ADR/etc type reports so far I've seen when they resolve them they find out their previous data was 'dirty' and incomplete or inaccurate. Like I described before.. they could be facing an uphill battle if they are dealing with crappy, inconsistent data from poorly written systems that preceded it. Add to that any stupidity they might have injected with the new system.. and let the chaos begin. What would be interesting is to find someone who works the reservations lines and find out what Disney is feeding them in terms of status of the problems. Are their new problems growing? Or is it just when dirty data appears.. clean it up.

So, are you saying the problem is the old systems? Or 'dirty' data? ... More to the point, isn't it Disney's responsibility to get it right from the start when handling people's private info? Or, like Carnival, is this just a $#it happens deal? It's nobody's fault?

Who has been saying it here? I've only heard jokes and poking.. not anyone saying its happened to them (tho I haven't been reading closely lately.. I'm asking for references to them). And it doesn't speak to their security protocols at all - that's another misunderstanding on your part.

Right. Safeguarding private information doesn't have anything to do with security. This is simply Brenda Smith of 234 NE Crabtree Court in Alexandria, VA's list of ADRs for her 8-night stay at the Poly on May 7th (complete with her phone number, children's names, activities planned, any other folks she linked to, CC info etc)

Seriously, Flynn, I've always respected your PoV even when I disagreed. But you talking on this subject is just something I can't take seriously. You're better off defending Carnival.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wouldn't small planes like that be more prone to turbulence during flight? That alone would make things a bit less comfortable.

Yep. I generally avoid even the 50-60 seat commuter jets and won't ever fly on turbo props.

Turbulence doesn't bother me, but being shaken like a martini does.

I just wish I flew upfront as much as I used to ... and that United hadn't of destroyed my beloved Continental. (But, hey, Jeff Smisek will walk away with a ridiculous sum of money soon and the disaster that is UAL will fall to someone else).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Small business owner here. Just touching base to say, if min wage was $15 per hour. We would simply close up shop. We rely on unskilled labor. Paying that labor that kind of scratch would be stunningly irresponsible. Not every job is meant to be a career.

I don't know what is a fair minimum. I do know it is closer to $15 than to $7.75. Of course, there are folks that don't believe there should even be one. If someone wants to work for 76 cents an hour, then dammit let em.

I do understand where you are coming from. But there are plenty of small business owners in nations that demand workers be paid higher wages. We could too, without putting small businesses out.

It also doesn't come down to being a career or not. So many folks are just trying to pay bills and live after the last 20 years of off-shoring labor (and importing cheap labor as well) and the Wall Street Ponzi Scheme of 2008 coming down that many are working for survival at jobs that you might say aren't careers. Well, survival trumps career in logic. Someone who used to make $90,000 a year in a white collar job, but lost it in 2009, ran out of unemployment in 2011 and has been working 25 hours a week at Office Max for $9 an hour will be homeless before they have a career. I know far too many people in boats like that. ... Sinking faster than the Costa Concordia.

At some point, workers need to be commodities and not just numbers. We are all people. We all have families and needs.

The nation has to decide if it really wants to be great or settle for 'OK with delusions of grandeur.'

WDW1974

Original Poster
Enough politics. Stop slipping political rants into the discussion.

Relax, Chester. We're talking economics amongst many things. If you don't like the thread or the discussion there are literally hundreds and hundreds of others or you can start one of your own. I don't get why someone comes in and about a topic. ... Change the damn channel and watch something else.

Cosmic Commando

Yep. I generally avoid even the 50-60 seat commuter jets and won't ever fly on turbo props.
The turbo props are fine for the summer, but I wouldn't fly them in cold climates. Their slower speed on takeoff and landing makes them more likely to accumulate ice on the wings, sometimes leading to a stall. That (along with a poorly-trained pilot overriding a safety feature designed to keep the plane in the air) was what crashed Continental 3407 a few miles from my house.

Tiggerrules

I guess the worst part of the system sharing your info with who knows how many people is you will not know it happened, unless TWDC notifies you or if the info is used for something bad. Just logging in and seeing your info does not mean your info has not been seen by who knows how many people. For those who think "its just an isolated incident or two", well thats is one or two too many (especially if it happens to be yours). I have logged in and mine is pulling the proper profile, but that does not mean someone else is not seeing the same thing. IMO Disney has pushed this out way to fast without proper testing, and yes I have deployed numerous types of electronic and data systems.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The problems at WDW right now are a result of wider problems in corporate and national politics. We can't hope to fix the problems without addressing the root cause.

I dunno. I'm fairly apolitical and things haven't changed that much in my lifetime. Right now, Comcast is sinking a crapload of money into Uni working under the exact same system. I do think the attitude of entrepreneurs does change. For example, you could convince me that the number of CEOs who think like Henry Ford did (need to pay my workers enough money that they can buy my product) may be at an all time low....so, I suppose in that sense I could agree that the political discussion is important.

[SIZE=3 said:
NoChesterHester[/SIZE]]Enough politics. Stop slipping political rants into the discussion.

I think our last two Presidents have been awesome. (I figure no one will know what to do with that)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I guess the worst part of the system sharing your info with who knows how many people is you will not know it happened, unless TWDC notifies you or if the info is used for something bad. Just logging in and seeing your info does not mean your info has not been seen by who knows how many people. For those who think "its just an isolated incident or two", well thats is one or two too many (especially if it happens to be yours). I have logged in and mine is pulling the proper profile, but that does not mean someone else is not seeing the same thing. IMO Disney has pushed this out way to fast without proper testing, and yes I have deployed numerous types of electronic and data systems.

I've really enjoyed your profile. Thanks Disney!

stlphil

What might bug me the most about this is that when other big companies have "issues" safeguarding personal information they come clean and fess up about it, but with Disney nothing. In my mind this makes them less trustworthy than the typical big company at a time when they are asking for greater trust.

Tiggerrules

What might bug me the most about this is that when other big companies have "issues" safeguarding personal information they come clean and fess up about it, but with Disney nothing. In my mind this makes them less trustworthy than the typical big company at a time when they are asking for greater trust.

I agree, and I think part of this (and this is just IMHO) is when you spend 1.5-2 billion on a project, the bigwigs at the top start wanting their ROI. It then becomes "I dont care if it has bugs, push it out anyway".

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I've just got of the phone with someone who has been programming part of NextGen and seeing another's profile is not accidental. For those of us who have taken WDW vacations in the last ten years, they've identified a group of Super Magical Friends with similar tastes. We can use the info to contact our Super Magical Friends and get the RL friendship kick started. The idea is that since our tastes are so similar we can even shop for our Super Magical Friends, make the purchase with their credit card (using our SMF pin of course) and send them their swag. It's an awesome way to obtain souvenirs when you're not even on vacation! Turned my opinion around for sure.

djlaosc

Who has been saying it here? I've only heard jokes and poking.. not anyone saying its happened to them (tho I haven't been reading closely lately.. I'm asking for references to them). And it doesn't speak to their security protocols at all - that's another misunderstanding on your part.

Here someone (don't know if it is the same as WDW1974 is talking about, but it's someone on here)...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ed-park-maps-coming-soon.860435/#post-5337618

I just signed in to My Disney Experience to add another reservation and it said "Welcome, Kevin C*******!"

I'm not Kevin. :\ And my confirmed reservations @ Poly aren't showing.

What the hell? :\

Tiggerrules

I've just got of the phone with someone who has been programming part of NextGen and seeing another's profile is not accidental. For those of us who have taken WDW vacations in the last ten years, they've identified a group of Super Magical Friends with similar tastes. We can use the info to contact our Super Magical Friends and get the RL friendship kick started. The idea is that since our tastes are so similar we can even shop for our Super Magical Friends, make the purchase with their credit card (using our SMF pin of course) and send them their swag. It's an awesome way to obtain souvenirs when you're not even on vacation! Turned my opinion around for sure.

I really hope that is not the case. So many ways this would go wrong in hurry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom