Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Tiggerrules

well that's comforting! If anyone show end up with our info, please let me know so I can waste my time calling to complain!

Maybe we should start a new thread for thos that cannot see their profile, they could then ask others on here if they see it. That way they can access their vacation and have them make changes for them. LOL By the way hope your profile is not missing.

MattM

So what exactly is the government telling you to do with your money? Is there more regulation and more unions now then there was 20-30 yers ago? Just trying to understand your POV

On the minimum wages, we were having a hypothetical discussion. But since minimum wages are set by governments, they would theoretically be telling me what to do in that instance. Recently, they've told me I must provide certain levels of health insurance to employees who meet a certain standard or else face a penalty (and then either I or the employee may have to pay a Cadillac tax if they coverage is deemed too excessive by our government. Go figure). As far as unions in Florida, they have very little influence. So they are not so much a factor here as they are in other parts of the country. Is that a good start?

Bolna

As to the discussion about labor cost and its effect on manufacturing industries: Just wanted to put it out there that there are a number of European countries (Netherlands, Sweden and Germany for example) that have a) higher labor cost than the US, b) higher taxes than the US and still c) higher share of GNP earned by the manufacturing sector than the US. One might also assume that those countries have a higher level of regulation in general - and also suffered from the disadvantages of the low dollar exchange rate in the recent years.

tracyandalex

Maybe we should start a new thread for thos that cannot see their profile, they could then ask others on here if they see it. That way they can access their vacation and have them make changes for them. LOL By the way hope your profile is not missing.

Excellent idea! We're still there, mostly. Some of our info can't be retrieved!? So is that an error or is someone else going to be in my house when I get home in a little bit?

flynnibus

Premium Member
As to the discussion about labor cost and its effect on manufacturing industries: Just wanted to put it out there that there are a number of European countries (Netherlands, Sweden and Germany for example) that have a) higher labor cost than the US, b) higher taxes than the US and still c) higher share of GNP earned by the manufacturing sector than the US. One might also assume that those countries have a higher level of regulation in general - and also suffered from the disadvantages of the low dollar exchange rate in the recent years.

Do they also not specialize in premium product? And import most of the low cost product they consume? Would they be able to make the low cost products they need themselves? The setup of the trade zones allows countries to specialize and export their high value.. without penalty to their needs to import the low value goods.

I don't see many german high volume, low margin products in the market. But I may be mistaken :)

The energy import (oil) in the US drags on our trade balance.

The labor situation in Europe thrives on the back of other countries with much higher labor output (asia and others).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Look at the most recent contract WDW signed with the (worthless) union for 20,000 employees. $650 1 time bonus ($750 if you made under $8.50) and an up to 3% raise a year (full time and part time.) However, healthcare cost went up then too by a ton to the point of making less a check because of it. None of this mentions the huge amount of seasonal, CPs and international program folks who never see a raise from starting rate at the time they are working ($7.80 currently.) Last time I checked the resorts turned a record profit even with those increases and yet they want to lay off 10%.

That's just the problem with our bastardized version of capitalism (one I firmly believe is destroying what was a great society). Profits are NEVER enough. So workers will always be begging for more. If Disney tripled its profits this year, then who would benefit? Execs and, depending on the analysts, Wall Street/shareholders. Disney wouldn't suddenly say 'we made so much more, so we're increasing salaries of workers across the board under the exec level.''

It never works that way. The beast always must be fed ... MORE ... MORE ... MORE!!! ... Ask yourself where does it end?

WDW has cut so much 'fat' that they then went and cut muscle and bone. What's next? Vital organs? Again, all while TWDC has never been more profitable or valuable.

WDW1974

Original Poster
What SUBSTANCE? All I see is increasingly trollish behavior towards somebody you see as a threat towards your little walled city here.

Really? Now, I'm a troll because I dare question someone who is being very less than truthful about why NGE/MM+ interests him?

Glad you've given Flynn a friend because with his personality, I'm sure he needs all he can get.

And I have a little walled city here? Really? That's cute. ... He isn't a threat to me whatsoever. I'm honest. He isn't. He knows it ... oh. and so do you.

MerlinTheGoat

Good analogy 74, about cuts done to parts of a body with muscle, bone and vitals. Though in my opinion, i'd argue that "vital organs" have already been compromised or removed. Epcot feels a lot like that- as if it was a healthy body that had important parts of it damaged or removed. All of the attractions cut out and/or replaced by inferior ones in the 90's feels like that, as if the place was partially lobotomized and had its heart removed while either not putting anything back in, or replacing the organs with worse substitutes that don't work as well. So to me, cutting into and either damaging or removing the vital organs has already happened. In my opinion anyways.

But what in your opinion is a vital organ at WDW? I think it has already started happening, but i'd to know what you think constitutes being vital.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I actually found 74's post about some of the things that happened with the MM+ test at DAK to be full of substance and can't wait to hear more, especially with regard to the information he is currently holding back for the sake of his source. That's just my opinion though and you're certainly entitled to have your own.

Thanks. I'm just reporting what people who truly know what's going on tell me. ... Oh, and I hate the system, I hate the ridiculous spending of company funds as opposed to other needs and I don't want to be tracked by Bob Iger and Co. But I am honest and open about that.

Based on what we are hearing about how the test went, I wonder what the next steps are and also wonder how quickly they'll be able to fix the problem of guests being able to see the personal information of other guests. Anyone happen to know when the next round of testing will occur?

One would hope it already is fixed.

As I said yesterday, if it is still an issue than the system should be shut down. People don't need a computer to access info. They can pick up the phone and do it the ancient way. Imagine ... using a iPhone to actually speak to someone!??! Shocking!

As to the next round of testing, waiting to hear that.

lazyboy97o

Really? Now, I'm a troll because I dare question someone who is being very less than truthful about why NGE/MM+ interests him?

Glad you've given Flynn a friend because with his personality, I'm sure he needs all he can get.

And I have a little walled city here? Really? That's cute. ... He isn't a threat to me whatsoever. I'm honest. He isn't. He knows it ... oh. and so do you.
There it is again. The insinuation that those who disagree are somehow dishonest along with a slam at a poster's personality and personal social life. @flynnibus has repeatedly stated where he sees potential benefits for himself in MyMagic+ and they are nothing unusual, but exactly what Disney is hoping to capitalize upon. I disagree. I do not think the benefits will be as meaningful to the experience, or that the new information collected by Disney will be properly utilized to achieve such goals. But I'm not going to start "asking questions" intended to do nothing more than demean a person with whom I disagree. It may be better masked, but it is still childish name calling.

As I said yesterday, if it is still an issue than the system should be shut down. People don't need a computer to access info. They can pick up the phone and do it the ancient way. Imagine ... using a iPhone to actually speak to someone!??! Shocking!
Huh? How do you think the information is accessed if you call by phone? And besides, that's a stranger working for Disney who is now in direct contact with your information, a concern that has been brought up regarding access to the information involved with MyMagic+.

Horizonsfan

That's just the problem with our bastardized version of capitalism (one I firmly believe is destroying what was a great society). Profits are NEVER enough. So workers will always be begging for more. If Disney tripled its profits this year, then who would benefit? Execs and, depending on the analysts, Wall Street/shareholders. Disney wouldn't suddenly say 'we made so much more, so we're increasing salaries of workers across the board under the exec level.''

It never works that way. The beast always must be fed ... MORE ... MORE ... MORE!!! ... Ask yourself where does it end?

WDW has cut so much 'fat' that they then went and cut muscle and bone. What's next? Vital organs? Again, all while TWDC has never been more profitable or valuable.

Here's a graphic to highlight just how out of whack things have become over the last few decades:

corporate-profits-labor-share.jpg

It can be found from this Washington Post article, I highly suggest reading it: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-best-argument-for-raising-the-minimum-wage/

As is stated in the article, a minimum wage increase isn't the best option but it is a good one.

The end result also isn't a guarantee increase in consumer prices and/or fewer jobs, they are just some of many possible results for a company

This quote from the article sums it up:
So what’s the right answer? A mix of these, most likely. “Individual establishments will follow different paths that depend on a complex set of circumstances that economists… cannot fully capture or explain,” Schmitt concludes. Some companies bump up their prices in response to a minimum-wage hike. Others make their workers take on more tasks. Still others reap the benefits of reduced turnover.

This could explain why economists often have trouble establishing a clear link between a higher minimum wage and higher unemployment. There are lots of possible ways that companies can adjust to modest wage hikes besides hiring fewer people. (Obviously if the minimum wage shot up to $100 per hour, that’d be much more disruptive, but no one is proposing that.) The basic economic theory is alluring. But the world isn’t always that simple.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Here's my beef: Everybody screams for higher wages. Fine. Then what are businesses going to do? They're going to raise prices. Milk, break, eggs, clothes...they're all more expensive. Then what happens? People complain about how much prices have gone up and wages need to be raised. It's a vicious cycle that will never end. Add on top of that the new gov't mandated health insurance rules, and cadillac plan taxes that will go on top of that, and prices will continue to skyrocket. How do you brake that cycle?

And businesses aren't raising prices now? How steady have Disney prices been in the last 15 years? Compare wages to the costs of everything. The ONLY thing that never significantly goes up (when you take into account inflation, often they go down) are wages. People NEED TO LIVE and THRIVE. They NEED A CHANCE. Not a chance to flip burgers at McD's for minimum wage while holding two college degrees and $200K in student loan debt. You know what that builds? Angry people who become sociopaths and worse.

Insurance? People need it. We always love telling everyone how we're the kindest most caring and compassionate people on earth. Well, maybe that's true when another nation has a disaster or when a kitty falls in a drain pipe in your local town, but it isn't true when it someone needs a pricey surgery to save their life and they don't have health insurance. I have never been one anyone could closely call a 'bleeding heart' (as a faux top one percenter that would go against my reason for being!), but the more I read from people everywhere (including here) the more I realize we're a very cold nation of people who are mostly interested in only ourselves and our finances.

It's sorta like WDW fans. The reason it crumbles while DL shines is because fans aren't together on anything and never view it from the macro perspective. Some fans are still bemoaning Horizons, others about Stitch, others missing AC, some only caring about whether they'll get enough FPs with MM+ ... so WDW continues to be a lessser product because very few people can look at it from the total picture perspective.

And to be honest Mr. Spirit, the way this President has been hiking taxes on us big bad evil 1% (which I'll bet you're not too far from that either, especially since we keep lowering the bar on what "wealthy"is) my salary is going to be reduced by a percentage very similar to a number that you have mentioned. That money will be made up somewhere, be it by staff reductions or price increases. But this President is going to have to learn that businesses are not going to eat these costs. Results never work out well when you hate the employer but love the employee.

I have tried to steer the conversation away from politics, so let's leave the Prez out of this (FWIW, if this were the early 80s, he'd be to the right of Ronald Reagan that's how far this country has turned). But I absolutely believe if someone makes more than $250,000 a year (anywhere except perhaps NYC or San Francisco or Chicago), they are top one percent and should be taking more of a burden. In those three cities where cost of living is so high, I'd say $400,000 is fair.

Taxes have to stop being a dirty word. We had a budget surplus before Bush took office ... if you want to constantly play wargames in the middle east with no real goals, then someone has to pay the bills ... I'd like to charge those bills to Wall Street and the 'too big to fail' banks that took untold trillions of dollars, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Oh, and a great society never exists that doesn't take care of all of its people.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I waited over a half hour for a relatively modest line for a beer at Fantasmic this weekend. Why? The swipe to pay system wasn't working, and if you had the band they were trying to give you a hard time if you wanted to just pay with cash or cc instead. Ended up being one of the best beers I'd ever had.

I wouldn't wait 30 minutes for a drink ... any drink ... at WDW or elsewhere!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I understand your argument, but I think that that last line should be more to the fact that people need to realize that employers need employees as much as employees need employers. Every officer of the TWDC makes close to 15 to 16 million dollars a year. The question is why do cuts always come from the low wage employees or that the consumer has to pay for the increase. As mention in a previous post I manage a small family hardware store and with the lack of snow in the Chicago area sales have been slow. To offset the lose of income I have been working 12 hour days to reduce the payroll expense, but the owner of the store hasn't been paying himself since November. So if a small business can hand out cost cutting measures at the bottom and the top why can't a big company like Disney.

Ultimately, you simply can't compare small businesses like the one you work for to big companies and mammoth corps. That's what Wall Street and CNBC talking heads want to convince the masses of unwashed from coast to coast. Small businesses are as different from large corps that it's sorta like comparing apples to mountains.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Until the release of the "Modern Classics" (beginning with The Little Mermaid in 1989), throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Parks & Resorts kept TWDC from going belly up. Consider the following revenue numbers from 1983:

WDW: $727M
DLR: $148M
TDL (royalties): $83M
Other: $73M
P&R Total: $1013M

Motion Pictures: $165M

Consumer Products: $111M

Total: $1289M

There once was a time when Disney movies stunk and they did not sell a lot of merchandise outside of the theme parks.

WDW merchandise sales alone in 1983 was $172M, more than their other segments.

Yep, but that was a lifetime ago ... (literally for some of the posters here).

Back when Walt Disney Productions was a small company, not a global media titan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom