Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

PirateFrank

Remember that the Roberts family controls nearly a third of voting rights for Comcast.....

Now that is something I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the clarification!

I like your portion about bringing shareholder expectations in-line with the customers, it's unfortunate, though, that this has become few and far between.

I agree. Very few companies out there are firing on the right set of cylinders.....you could probably count them on two hands...

WDW1974

Original Poster
If an outside company can run the parks better than Disney could then maybe they should sell them. However, I fear American Business ethics might make it impossible to operate them like say OLC.

That is a given.

WDW is simply a microcosm of the state, society and nation it exists in.

Today, corps are whores for Wall Street and they exist for short term riches. There has to be fundamental change in our nation in order for most companies to change the way they do business.

Literally, you build a company, nurture it and then are forced to destroy it in the current model.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Disney Store deal was a complete sell off and the chain was only reacquired because Hoop Retail, the subsidiary of The Children's Place that owned and operated the Disney Store, went bankrupt. Also, in none of Disney's three existing theme park resort ownership arrangements has the Company ever held a majority position.

True, although the way things are currently set up in Paris they 'effectively' control 51%.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Comcast just gobbled up GE's 49% stake in NBC/Universal for a cool $16.7 billion. Will be interesting to see what happens with that. Will they cross-promote US like Disney Parks and ABC do? Will we have Wonderful World of Universal weekly TV night?

Dunno ... but I do know that Comcast and its leadership are very bullish on the theme park business, quite unlike Disney. For so long the UNI parks sorta existed and now we can all see what happens when the parent company decides that they are a growth business and not a mature one. ... Unless I missed UNI getting into the timeshare business or developing the Silver Pines community of McMansions on their property.:)

WDW1974

Original Poster
It couldn't do any worse than some of the programmes on NBC are doing (they've got to be counting down the days until The Voice returns in March)

Seriously - they've averaged a 1.5 over the past 3 weeks.

Animal Practice and Do No Harm have been cancelled, 30 Rock and The Office are finishing this season.

They have to hope that Community won't drop from last week's premiere, Smash can increase from last week's premiere, and that Grimm and Revolution won't be killed off by a 4-month absence, or they're only going to end up with Chicago Fire, L&O: SVU, Parks & Recreation and Parenthood, and possibly Go On, Whitney and Guys with Kids if they don't drop any more.

TV business is cyclical. There was a time when no one watched FOX ... and when CBS was in last place. NBC made a Disney-like (See: Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?) HUGE gamble/mistake by placing Jay Leno at 10 p.m. and that is going to take years to recover from. But they do have some quality new shows like Revolution, Grimm, Go On and New Normal if they stick with and market right that could be hits for years. I'm a big fan of the first two, and think the other two are up and down.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
That is a given.

WDW is simply a microcosm of the state, society and nation it exists in.

Today, corps are whores for Wall Street and they exist for short term riches. There has to be fundamental change in our nation in order for most companies to change the way they do business.

Literally, you build a company, nurture it and then are forced to destroy it in the current model.

So. Much. This.

kaneclapping.gif

Clever Name

As we move forward within this twisted BOS experiment, you may well encounter a time in the near future when you are told there are no rooms at WDW available (to you and your family). You will stay off-site only to learn once you arrive that a significant number of rooms are not filled. According to the math born of BOS, this is factored in as all that matters is delivering what Iger now is referring to as "a more compelling growth mode" while ... his parks 'tag and release' you to the World. No access to a favorite attraction, that is factored in as well.
It's not BOS that causes this problem but rather the way the CRO sells and reserves rooms. This has gone on for thirty or more years at WDW. This is basicly how it works.

The Disney CRO (Central Reservations Office) sells blocks of rooms (at a discount) to various travel agencies. Those room blocks have a time and date stamp placed on them and they are assigned to a travel agency such as AAA. During that period of time, only AAA may sell those rooms and they are taken out of the WDW reservation system inventory until the date stamp expires. When these rooms are sold as a block, they are also listed as occupied even though they may well not have been sold by AAA.

AAA and the other travel agencies tend to buy more rooms than they can sell to insure availability. It is not at all uncommon for Disney CRO to say that they are "sold out" while a number of travel agencies still have lots of WDW rooms in their inventory. As far as Disney is concerned, they have sold their entire inventory. I have personally seen many instances in value, moderate and deluxe WDW resorts where the front desk will tell you they are full, yet you can book a reservation by phone through a travel agency. I've done it myself with a cell phone on a few occasions.

I have also observed resorts that were listed by WDW as "full" that had far less than full occupancy. While the rooms don't have warm bodies in them, WDW has been paid because they sold that room block to a travel agency. Disney marks that block of rooms as occupied. That's one of the reasons why WDW room occupancy rates are so high.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just one more quickee, a Spirited quickee as they're the most MAGICal kind, before some of us call it a night ... but I was wondering if The Disney Parks Blog has acknowleged Tony's 'retirement' yet? Clearly someone of his stature leaving the company after 47 1/2 years MUST be cause for a blog post ... maybe even one by Tom Staggs or Bruce Vaughn talking about all he has meant to Disney ... so can someone send me a link? Thanks.

the.dreamfinder

No
Just one more quickee, a Spirited quickee as they're the most MAGICal kind, before some of us call it a night ... but I was wondering if The Disney Parks Blog has acknowleged Tony's 'retirement' yet? Clearly someone of his stature leaving the company after 47 1/2 years MUST be cause for a blog post ... maybe even one by Tom Staggs or Bruce Vaughn talking about all he has meant to Disney ... so can someone send me a link? Thanks.
nope. Nothing... Skimmed it this afternoon.

Jerks...

Sorry. :(

ParentsOf4

It may be an option, but one of the questions that Congressman Markey asked (and many of us have asked as well), what type of disadvantage are people who opt out going to have?
You mean you can't figure out the answer in Disney's "answer" to Markey's letter?;)
Guests can enjoy admission to the park without having to register or provide any personal information. But guests who do choose to participate in MyMagic+ will enjoy the convenience of having their tickets, guaranteed ride times for shows and attractions, resort room access and other enhanced features all in one place.
I'm still trying to figure out what exactly this means for "guests" who choose not to participate in MM+.

The way I read their answer, the only thing Disney promises to MM+ nonparticipants is admission to the parks. :eek:

BwanaBob

I think he's more referring to not being able to use FP+ so more waiting in standby lines. That's the biggest potential disadvantage to opting out.
They will still be issued an RFID media ticket at the gate... it just won't have charging et al associated with it. They can still use fastpass.
Folks, they are not ripping fastpass distribution out entirely.

So was there some sort of dog & pony show for front line CMs today about NGE?
Town halls are just explaining what everyone here already knows... to CM's who aren't in the loop.​
The only new additional info I believe was that "as soon as a guest gets off the plane and boards Magical Express, check-in will happen immediately via the bands read at the airport". Same goes for preferred seating at dining locations.

Californian Elitist

Sadly nothing and I doubt there will be.

They're being horrible right now and they're refusing to give Mr. Baxter the respect he deserves. They're too worried about Valentine's Day, some new horses at Circle D Ranch (wow...how interesting) and an Oz hot air balloon.

Longhairbear

On another site DVC members are starting to complain about problems linking their DVC reservations on My Disney Experience. Someone actually called MDE, Disney's Billion Dollar Joke.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom