Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

MattM

I think you underestimate the impact of the blogs. Publications like The Wall Street Journal or CNN have been known to reference these blogs when they report on breaking Disney news. The blogs are the cheapest first stop to get information "out" but that information doesn't stay exclusively in the blogs and therefore blog readers aren't the only end consumers of the information. Also, with new media, people might get news from Google News or another feed that gives equal weight to a StitchKingdom article and a New York Times piece. Heck I've seen articles reference FORUMS, not just blogs, as sources of Disney news.

This is true. We even had a certain poster here who drew attention to the fact that he was quoted in a certain business journal.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I was gonna comment on how butt hurt we all sound regarding the paid vacations of the disney bloggers with a long, drawn out three paragraphs... then I deleted it and opted for these few sentences. Bloggers get free vacations, we pay out the wazoo for ours. But if any of us opened a blog and got a free vacation, we wouldn't gripe about it. Right?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
This is what '74 has been saying all along, I believe.

Someone, believed to be a well-paid consultant, sold Disney on the idea of catering to fan bloggers and lifestylers as a means of countering any potential criticism that may arise online. (I cant remember the guy's name, or his exact quote, but it was something about how one positive review can outweigh X number of complaints.)
In essence they are creating a small army of "brand advocates" by wining and dining them, giving free trips and tours, (heavily controlled) access to imagineers, etc.

This is separate from the actual travel industry bloggers that they also court. A legit, high-traffic blog or site that doesn't strictly cater to fans is indeed a wise investment. As Matt said earlier, they can reach a ton of people that otherwise aren't thinking about Disney. That Drummond woman's 13-20 million page views could certainly worth a trip. But what if your site gets less than 100 hits per day, mostly from friends and fellow Disney fans? Why are those folks getting trips and cruises? (Hint: The answer is above.)

So, in short, these media events are somewhat "effective" since some of the invitees have impact, but due to lack of adequate quality control, many of the invitees have no impact at all. I could buy that.

Heck I've seen articles reference FORUMS, not just blogs, as sources of Disney news.

I actually think these forums carry more weight than quite a few blogs and whatnot. Personally, I find almost all of you (I began to parenthetically list posters and then it got too long and I worried I was leaving someone out) more interesting to read than any other Disney stuff out there on the internetz.

Tim_4

It also provides a fine example of the sort of success you can have when you invest properly. It took them 10 years with IoA to get it right, no doubt. But now that they are on the right track, they seem to be setting the standard for generating buzz and excitement, keeping e parks fresh, and keeping the fans interested.
A la DCA.

Lee

Adventurer
I was gonna comment on how butt hurt we all sound regarding the paid vacations of the disney bloggers with a long, drawn out three paragraphs... then I deleted it and opted for these few sentences. Bloggers get free vacations, we pay out the wazoo for ours. But if any of us opened a blog and got a free vacation, we wouldn't gripe about it. Right?
Depends on whether or not any of us are the type who would sell their objectivity to be a brand advocate.
I wouldn't.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Of course not. In fact, I'd like to assure the wonderful folks at TWDC that snarky George would go the way of the dodo.
paranoid.gif
Plus, I would occasionally spend the required 8.2 seconds to research something on the "information superhighway" if I thought my memory was failing and even if I did just make something up, it would paint the company in hues so beautiful and complementary that I could conservatively estimate the companies coffers would be enriched to the tune of 14.7 million daily thanks to my poetic praise.

Tim_4

No, you misunderstood my post. It has nothing to do with the "power" of blogging. It has to do with misdirected marketing. Please re-read.
I don't disagree because I fail to understand. I just disagree. You say targeting blogs is misdirected. I say they're the perfect targets because they'll target the rest of the audience for you, for free.

Tim_4

Exactly.
Now the interesting thing to see will be how DCA moves forward. With frequent freshening, or will they say "Well, we fixed it. No need to change anything for another 15 years."
Maybe that's what it takes. You have to suck REALLY bad before you wake up to the need for reinvestment. Doing "pretty well" is the worst of all outcomes because you're not killing it, but there's no sense of urgency either. The pendulum is stuck.

MattM

Actually, he was "misquoted" in the business journal, and certainly not the person Disney wants to see getting attention, but I guess any press is good press...;)

Touche'. But he still drew attention to the fact that a news organization was using a lifestyle website as its source (although does anyone really read the OBJ?)

Funmeister

I don't disagree because I fail to understand. I just disagree. You say targeting blogs is misdirected. I say they're the perfect targets because they'll target the rest of the audience for you, for free.

Once again. You do fail to understand. I am not saying blogs are misdirected. I am saying it does not have the impact of generating new $$. If the blogs appeal to guests who are already spending money with Disney versus people who are on the fence about where to spend their vacation dollars then it is a wasted effort on Disney's part to convert someone who was/is not planning to visit the resort.

You are trying to twist my words and making it seem like I am saying blogging is ineffective. Once again, go re-read my posts.

Sure they are targeting an audience that is already committed to spending their money at WDW. Basically, look at it as Disney overselling to bloggers (free vacations) to give information (tips and advice) to guests who have already booked their vacations. Waste of money, time and resources.

The blogs are not generating new visits as much as they are giving tips to EXISTING guests.

Funmeister

How is it free? You don't think some bloggers are talking about painted handrails and hidden Mickey's because they don't want a free night at Disney's Grand Floridian Beach Resort and Spa? You think they are motivated to talk about Disney strictly because they love it? Come on Timmy...it's time to find Lassie and head home!

Soarin' Over Pgh

Of course not. In fact, I'd like to assure the wonderful folks at TWDC that snarky George would go the way of the dodo.
paranoid.gif
Plus, I would occasionally spend the required 8.2 seconds to research something on the "information superhighway" if I thought my memory was failing and even if I did just make something up, it would paint the company in hues so beautiful and complementary that I could conservatively estimate the companies coffers would be enriched to the tune of 14.7 million daily thanks to my poetic praise.

I would very quickly learn to sing like a dove instead of cooing like a pigeon if I were comp'd vacations. Could I get a Canon sponsor for another camera or two? I mean, I love my current one, but a backup would be great.

stlphil

Isn't ths type of event exactly what has created so many 'pixie-dusters'? Logically I think it is a waste too, but it seems to work.

Speaking of 'pixie dusters' as slang for folks who forget reality and the past and blindly love Disney, what is the slang for those that do the same for UO?
What created the 'pixie dusters' was that WDW provided (past tense) an unparalleled experience of high quality, value, and service, and was continually plussed with high 'wow-factor' additions.

On the other hand, I don't believe that the current pixie duster bloggers themselves are likely to create many new pixie dusters for continuity to the future, and Disney doesn't seem too interested in creating them either (by continuing to provide an unparalleled experience of high quality, value, and service, that is continually plussed with high 'wow-factor' additions).

Tim_4

Once again. You do fail to understand. I am not saying blogs are misdirected. I am saying it does not have the impact of generating new $$. If the blogs appeal to guests who are already spending money with Disney versus people who are on the fence about where to spend their vacation dollars then it is a wasted effort on Disney's part to convert someone who was/is not planning to visit the resort.

You are trying to twist my words and making it seem like I am saying blogging is ineffective. Once again, go re-read my posts.

Sure they are targeting an audience that is already committed to spending their money at WDW. Basically, look at it as Disney overselling to bloggers (free vacations) to give information (tips and advice) to guests who have already booked their vacations. Waste of money, time and resources.

The blogs are not generating new visits as much as they are giving tips to EXISTING guests.
You're assuming the bloggers' only audience is those who CHOOSE to search the blogs themselves for tips and tricks. I'm saying the blog message seeps into the mainstream media, meaning the people getting the message are NOT limited to those who already booked a WDW vacation.

This is irrelevant if we're talking about this week's events because it's primarily a radio event. If you don't believe me come to Epcot today. 35 stations broadcasting live from behind the Monsters topiaries. Same as yesterday at Wilderness Lodge. This is a "mainstream media" event. The bloggers are cheap add-ons. There was even live TV from the Rose Garden yesterday. Chicago station I believe.

MattM

How is it free? You don't think some bloggers are talking about painted handrails and hidden Mickey's because they don't want a free night at Disney's Grand Floridian Beach Resort and Spa? You think they are motivated to talk about Disney strictly because they love it? Come on Timmy...it's time to find Lassie and head home!

It's free because there is essentially no cost of Disney giving a rooms and food away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom