Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Which brings me to The Princesse Royale Halle (afkaSWSA - Attraction formerly known as Snow White's Scary Adventures)..... Why isnt this done yet? Why isnt this open? Why arent we hearing anything? How long does it take to build a meet & greet?

I hope they just decide they could create an attraction instead.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
The same Wall Street that now has rumblings about Tim Cook having until the end of the year to get things rolling again at Apple, while they still made $9.5 billion in profit for the quarter and anyone with a miniscule brain knows that to keep up the growth trajectory that Apple had is downright impossible and that it would be nearly impossible to keep up the profit margins that they've had. The same Wall Street that has a P/E ratio on Netflix floating around 735 right now. Yup, that Wall Street. It's all about personal short-term gain without a care to the future. The sad reality is that more of these monsters are controlling the levers of power at major corporations throughout the United States.

While we think of all of the Wall Street money and excess, a report this week came out this week and it found that 46% of NYC residents are working poor. You can't have a country that functions with success with these types of disparities. After a while, it's rather exhausting knowing that in reality, you can do nothing to move the winds, rather, you have to sit back and hope that eventually there will be a correction in the thought process and sanity will return to business, which will in-turn help the greater economy succeed.

Apple is a rarity that just appears to be normalizing. It is very rare for a company to be so huge, offer dividends and be a growth stock. Once a company offers dividends, they aren't really growth anymore (speaking generally.... Obviously Apple was an exception to this). For example, dividend modeling works quite well on companies such as ExxonMobil.

I actually might buy Apple now that the price has come down. They obviously have plans for new products, Wall St is just both impatient and worried. Stocks can be very emotional, look at BP after the spill. It drove the share price way down but there was no financial reason to support that. The price of the spill, while high, is a drop in the bucket for a company of that size.

Finance talk FTW!

Edit: BP had a warranted drop after the spill but it went further than it should because of panic.

asianway

Which brings me to The Princesse Royale Halle (afkaSWSA - Attraction formerly known as Snow White's Scary Adventures)..... Why isnt this done yet? Why isnt this open? Why arent we hearing anything? How long does it take to build a meet & greet?

It took 18 months to reskin those horrible tents and that included one of the most profitable shops at the MK. I think the Carnation Gardens conversion didn't come close to that-must be a TDO thing...

alphac2005

Apple is a rarity that just appears to be normalizing. It is very rare for a company to be so huge, offer dividends and be a growth stock. Once a company offers dividends, they aren't really growth anymore (speaking generally.... Obviously Apple was an exception to this). For example, dividend modeling works quite well on companies such as ExxonMobil.

I actually might buy Apple now that the price has come down. They obviously have plans for new products, Wall St is just both impatient and worried. Stocks can be very emotional, look at BP after the spill. It drove the share price way down but there was no financial reason to support that. The price of the spill, while high, is a drop in the bucket for a company of that size.

Finance talk FTW!

Edit: BP had a warranted drop after the spill but it went further than it should because of panic.

The current trading price has Apple currently undervalued and the $100 billion giveback is supposed to appease The Street, so we'll see. The NYT had an interesting piece yesterday where they essentially tie Cook to Ballmer. Wall St. just decides to punish the stock, constantly complaining about the CEO, but in reality the company has exploded in both revenue and profit since he arrived. That has been the case with Steve Ballmer and the case with Cook as well.

I personally think that Apple has the ability to bring out some game changers that will enhance the company yet again in the investment community and will redefine additional areas where the consumers will "have to" buy it. It'll be interesting to see the streaming music service because I think it'll be a Pandora slayer, but then again, that might not be saying much because Pandora seems to have the playlist variety of a terrestrial station now. Microsoft might not be sexy to Wall St., but I like it in my portfolio and the nice stream of dividends keep on reinvesting, which is fine by me. Then again, it's the situation talked about before. I'm looking at long-term portfolio growth and the "Monsters on the Street" are looking for a payout today.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

The tricky part is the princesses are clones made from past look a like guests that went "missing" during earlier visits. Disney is learning that hard way that you can't teach a pool of flesh grown in a tank a few simple phrases and behaviors in just a few months!

jt04

Ask Randy Garfield if he was encouraged to "play nice" when Universal lured (stole) all of those sales and marketing execs away from WDW prior to the opening of IOA.

That is how it should be, but this new collaboration, if it is real, began about the time HP went from Disney to UNI. Funny that 74 did not get anywhere near the subject. He always responds to 'inside baseball' stuff but choose not to in this situation. Hmm.

GiveMeTheMusic

That is how it should be, but this new collaboration, if it is real, began about the time HP went from Disney to UNI. Funny that 74 did not get anywhere near the subject. He always responds to 'inside baseball' stuff but choose not to in this situation. Hmm.

New collaboration? Do you think Disney passed on HP as a gift to Uni? There is absolutely ZERO evidence to suggest that the two resorts are "working together." Hand to God, my mind explodes at some of the stuff I read on here.

jt04

New collaboration? Do you think Disney passed on HP as a gift to Uni? There is absolutely ZERO evidence to suggest that the two resorts are "working together." Hand to God, my mind explodes at some of the stuff I read on here.

If Disney was feeling pressure from the right entities I think it is quite possible. And it would explain why WDW has not added any major attractions in several years and won't for several more years.

I think Microsoft and Apple provide an interesting parallel possibly.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If Disney was feeling pressure from the right entities I think it is quite possible. And it would explain why WDW has not added any major attractions in several years and won't for several more years.

First you claim that WDW wasn't getting any investments due to the pendulum swinging towards DL for the past several years. Now it's because Disney was feeling some "pressure from the right entities?" Can you please try to keep your various conspiracies straight?

jt04

First you claim that WDW wasn't getting any investments due to the pendulum swinging towards DL for the past several years. Now it's because Disney was feeling some "pressure from the right entities?" Can you please try to keep your various conspiracies straight?

74 still claims nothing significant is coming to WDW in the future including Pandora. If true, there has to be some other reason. A blind man could see major capital projects are profitable. Carsland and Potterland have proven that beyond doubt.

Just trying to resolve this mystery.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
74 still claims nothing significant is coming to WDW in the future including Pandora. If true, there has to be some other reason. A blind man could see major capital projects are profitable. Carsland and Potterland have proven that beyond doubt.

Still doesn't quite explain your two conspiracy theories being inherently contradictory, although that's hardly surprising.

But, nice try at throwing '74 under the bus.....

jt04

Still doesn't quite explain your two conspiracy theories being inherently contradictory, although that's hardly surprising.

But, nice try at throwing '74 under the bus.....

I still think that big announcements are coming for WDW. But if 74 is right, then something else is motivating the standstill at WDW's theme parks. I can't make it any plainer to you than that. "TDO is cheap" is no longer a viable explanation.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I still think that big announcements are coming for WDW. But if 74 is right, then something else is motivating the standstill at WDW's theme parks. I can't make it any plainer to you than that. "TDO is cheap" is no longer a viable explanation.

The only thing motivating the standstill at WDW is their desire to invest $1.5B in netgen, instead of rides and attractions. DL chose a different path, and Universal is keeping up with the latter (on both coasts) instead of the former. It's not about their being "cheap" (again, terrific strawman because I didn't bring that up), but rather how they're investing their money. Nothing to do with "outside pressure" or some other inane conspiracy theory....

jt04

The only thing motivating the standstill at WDW is their desire to invest $1.5B in netgen, instead of rides and attractions. DL chose a different path, and Universal is keeping up with the latter (on both coasts) instead of the former. It's not about their being "cheap" (again, terrific strawman because I didn't bring that up), but rather how they're investing their money. Nothing to do with "outside pressure" or some other inane conspiracy theory....

I did not say you are claiming the 'TDO is cheap' as the explanation. That just seems to be the meme that keeps cropping up. So are you saying TDO is not cheap but rather they are not investing in large capital projects properly?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I did not say you are claiming the 'TDO is cheap' is the explanation. That just seems to be the meme that keeps cropping up. So are you saying TDO is not cheap but rather they are not investing in large capital projects properly?

Right now TDO is finding new and inventive ways to separate visitors from their money. Investment in rides/attractions/etc. does not appear to be high on their priority list.....

ChrisFL

Premium Member
While we think of all of the Wall Street money and excess, a report this week came out this week and it found that 46% of NYC residents are working poor. You can't have a country that functions with success with these types of disparities. After a while, it's rather exhausting knowing that in reality, you can do nothing to move the winds, rather, you have to sit back and hope that eventually there will be a correction in the thought process and sanity will return to business, which will in-turn help the greater economy succeed.

What scares me about this is....is that traditionally these big companies had to let the "average" American make a decent income to be able to buy those products from the big companies, but that's no longer the case, because why worry about 300 million people in a stagnant economy when there's 2+ billion people in Asia that are growing substantially in their economies.

CDavid

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Never believe Disney's actions (or lack thereof) are the result of some elaborate, well-crafted, secret plan when things could be fully explained by stupidity.

Conspiracy theories tend to fall into that trap pretty easily. More specifically for Disney, it isn't so much dumb moves as it is pursuing the wrong objectives, such as short-term financial numbers at the expense of long-term growth, and the erroneous belief that the market is mature and major new investments will not produce the desired results. Just plain laziness and a general lack of leadership explains much, because while Carsland and Potter prove that the people will come given a compelling enough reason, it's easier to just milk the guests who are coming anyway, and MM+ makes more sense in the business world than animated cars or purple dragons.

Lee

Adventurer
74 still claims nothing significant is coming to WDW in the future including Pandora. If true, there has to be some other reason.
Not so.
'74 has made it clear, as have I, that Disney is getting ready to spend some major dollars at WDW.
This includes a major project(s) at DHS and possibly a greatly reduced Pandora at AK.

As for the idea that Diney passed on Potter as a gift to Uni....that is completely untrue, and rather ridiculous.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

I think Microsoft and Apple provide an interesting parallel possibly.

Could you please tell me your dealer's name, cuz I ain't had access to the "good stuff" in a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom