Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

flynnibus

Premium Member
Is it wrong of me that I prefer Kryssa? :)

Is it wrong I had to google to figure out what you were talking about? :) Can certainly see the 'lineage' in their choices.. tho everytime I see 'aswad' I can't help but say 'a$$wad'. I'm surprised they haven't been leveraging their disney channel sweethearts for this. Bridget M. or Debby Ryan - at least they are attractive.. unfortunately in a jailbait way. Bring in Leigh-Allyn Baker for the older boys :)

Rodan75

Any spinoff involving WDW would involve P&R in its entirety. I don't see that as as probable at all ... possible ... yes.

It would be silly to spinoff the parks, they are part of a tightly integrated life cycle to capture hearts and minds. They are part of the ultimate synergy, which is why Comcast is trying to mimic it.

I agree in with the Spirit's commentary that too many Disney Leaders are in role for too long and that creates stagnation. However, I disagree with the majority of the 'board' in the Iger hatred, he has tried to let team Disney exercise their own creativity (Tron, PoTC, PaTF, Wreck It), with less than solid internal success, Iger has driven content and talent acquisition and then let them (Kevin Feige, John Lasseter, Kathleen Kennedy) alone to be creative and become the future of TWDC.

Yes WDW needs help, but that doesn't mean TWDC isnt doing the right things at a macro level. The stock price is successful not because of pixie dust, but because TWDC has harassed pixie dust AND light sabers AND comic books AND sports fans.

Iger will never be the Creative visionary, but he has set up the company for a successful next generation.

Genie of the Lamp

I see on this one forum (character central) that a Disney spokesperson has confirmed that an announcement will be made in regards to DCL at the press event next week. They're saying most likely it will be in regards to the Magic's and Wonder's extensive makeover details/upgrades and on a side note possibly will announce free dining coming later this year as well. Was Tony Baxter ever involved with the creative design/concept process with any of the ships? Or did his portfolio mainly consist of projects dealing with the parks?

(Mongello's gonna try to interview George next week as well at Monstrous Summer if he's present and available) Is the plan still to give folks like him that go to this event personalized magicbands?

maxairmike

Listen to your gut.

What he said. Also, the direction of anything more than resorts/shopping/water park would be south of the current property. I'm especially interested in the transportation, as ground transport is basically a non-starter with the amount of traffic, and I don't think Universal only bus lanes would go over well considering they barely got the bridge through. The Grand National overpass should add an interesting wrinkle as well.

Captain Chaos

Is it wrong I had to google to figure out what you were talking about? :) Can certainly see the 'lineage' in their choices.. tho everytime I see 'aswad' I can't help but say 'a$$wad'. I'm surprised they haven't been leveraging their disney channel sweethearts for this. Bridget M. or Debby Ryan - at least they are attractive.. unfortunately in a jailbait way. Bring in Leigh-Allyn Baker for the older boys :)
Kryssa been gone so long now, I didn't doubt you had to Google her LOL..

WDW1974

Original Poster

Is it wrong that I have no clue who you are talking about?

And that I doubt any fanbois can help me with that? ;)

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
What you see is a direct result of social media. It's no longer so important to get it right, for most orgs, it's to get it first.

CNN yesterday was awful. Absolutely. Three reporters all confirming a suspect was in custody independently is just very, very bad. I was wondering if they were reporting news via fanboi tweets.

Well the NY Post made it an afterthought today by publishing photos leaked to them supposedly from an FBI source of the bombers. They ran the photos of innocent people and all because they were confident in Reddit/4chan's detective work. They bet huge that those photos were indeed accurate and lied by saying the FBI had circulated them.

That is beyond poor journalism... They may as well start posting the big foot photos on the front page now. They also better like the lawsuit they are about to get. You want better reading, avoid those papers and read The Economist and The WSJ (although the journal is the same company as TNYP). While reading you also need to have your guard up for biased sensationalism. To both the aforementioned publication's credit, they are pretty thourroughly cited and upfront.

Side note: I'm sure you already read The Economist spirit but if by chance you don't... Give it a read, I think you'd like the way it's written judging off your own writing style.

WDW1974

Original Poster
WDW1974....any insight on what type of infrastructure UNI will have to bring all of this together? (Transportation-wise) Buses? A ramp off of I-4? An aging monorail system that can barely keep the trains running?

Um ... not at this time, sorry! :)

PhotoDave219

If you think that's bad, and it is, you should see what the AP did with a photo of a man who had his legs blown off. The Atlantic ran it in full. AP cropped the guy at the waist. I'm sorry, but this isn't my pal @WDWFigment playing games with pyro over Cindy's Castle pics.

What AP did was disgusting because they cleaned up the horrors of terrorism (and I don't advise people to go look at the original unless you have a strong stomach) and you had no idea just how badly this man was hurt (think one leg completely gone from above the knee with a chunk of flesh there, and his tibia still there with nothing on it). You either run the photo or don't ... or you run a black strip over that part and explain why. You do NOT change the story. Horrible decision.

EDIT: Just saw that Dave already covered this. Sorry for repeating!!!

AP moved two crops of Jeff Bauman being wheeled away. (Here's a bit on him)

The full frame edit - rather nauseating even by my liberal standards - is something out of a war. (Here's the link, You must click again to actually see what we're talking about. I HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST VIEWING THIS. I MEAN IT. DONT CLICK IT. THINK TWICE. You were warned.....) It does put into context exactly what happened and exactly how horrific the event was. He lived and the link above tells of his interview with cops that led to the information on Suspect #1 (dark hat) coming out today.

For the life of me, I cant find the AP's bit on them moving multiple crops of the same photo, which is very common to do so. They likely did because its goddammed gruesome.

Actually, you don't put a black stripe or blur things, IMO. That violates everything. You run it or you don't. An interesting bit on this here on Photoshelter..... where they have the cropped image and a conversation about it.

Of course, thats nowhere near as bad as what the NY Post did this morning about that track star & his coach on the cover.... eeech. Someone's gonna get sued over that.

My take? Dont dumb things down with the news. We're adults and grown ups, we don't need to be spoon fed this crap ad nauseum. We can handle gory photos. We may not like it and it may us off (as it should- we cannot tolerate acts in our society that lead to this kind of horror) but we're mature enough to see these things.

Just tell us what happened and enough with the speculation, rumor mongering and unadulterated bull(pooh!) that seems to be a product of 24 hour cable news and the rush to be first. Just be right and for the love of god, stop using unnamed sources.

.... So there's was a blimp?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree in with the Spirit's commentary that too many Disney Leaders are in role for too long and that creates stagnation. However, I disagree with the majority of the 'board' in the Iger hatred, he has tried to let team Disney exercise their own creativity (Tron, PoTC, PaTF, Wreck It), with less than solid internal success, Iger has driven content and talent acquisition and then let them (Kevin Feige, John Lasseter, Kathleen Kennedy) alone to be creative and become the future of TWDC.

No one has said Iger is a total failure. And hate isn't an emotion I would use to describe a man I have never met. I don't think I'd like him based upon his business decisions and how he has treated Spirits that are near and dear.

But his hands off/hands on strategy hasn't let creatives flower. He has no choice with Lasseter or Feige as they are printing money. Kennedy he just bought. She is likewise someone that won't cowtow to him. The problem is he doesn't have any faith in the multitude of Disney franchises and IPs and believes Disney needs to buy content and not create it.

When they do create now, they do it in limited numbers and if it doesn't succeed immediately then ... well ... they have done a lousy job of making their own product and marketing it.

And Iger is nuts if he really believes there's an audience out there for a Star Wars film a year from 2015 to the end of days. This isn't any sort of slam dunk by any means.

Yes WDW needs help, but that doesn't mean TWDC isnt doing the right things at a macro level. The stock price is successful not because of pixie dust, but because TWDC has harassed pixie dust AND light sabers AND comic books AND sports fans.

Iger will never be the Creative visionary, but he has set up the company for a successful next generation.

Not if you look at the fundamentals of some of the units like P&R and Studios.

But I dunno ... I'm also much more interested in seeing Man of Steel than Iron Man 3 ... and way more interested in seeing Star Trek: Into Darkness than Star Wars Episode VII. And, no, I don't know why I added that. I must just be crazy because of all the stuff I have to do before my vacation and felt like dropping that in.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I see on this one forum (character central) that a Disney spokesperson has confirmed that an announcement will be made in regards to DCL at the press event next week. They're saying most likely it will be in regards to the Magic's and Wonder's extensive makeover details/upgrades and on a side note possibly will announce free dining coming later this year as well. Was Tony Baxter ever involved with the creative design/concept process with any of the ships? Or did his portfolio mainly consist of projects dealing with the parks?

(Mongello's gonna try to interview George next week as well at Monstrous Summer if he's present and available) Is the plan still to give folks like him that go to this event personalized magicbands?

No. Tony didn't have any part of DCL unless it was something very minor that I long since forgot.

It will be interesting to see if George will come out of witness protection at SS to join the whorefest.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Is it wrong that I have no clue who you are talking about?

And that I doubt any fanbois can help me with that? ;)

See.. I have to live with the Disney channel being on all the time around here. They are just two of Disney's latest teen girls going through the music+tv show machine. But Leigh is a top heavy woman who plays the mom on Good Luck Charlie. And ironically... previous work? She played a sex fiend on a previous sitcom (Will&Grace).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom