Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

the.dreamfinder

Some more tweets:
Corruption breeds within secrecy. Walt Disney Imagineering is the most secretive division, and it often rumored to be the most corrupt.
Which highly promoted Disney executive is responsible for failures such as Club Disney, Disney Quest, Adventures by Disney, and Aulani?
Just told that a current high ranking executive at WDI asks nearly all newly hired boys if they prefer "boxers or briefs". Not kidding!
Overheard at Disney: We don't need Game of Thrones. We ARE Game of Thrones. #WaltIsDead

HMF

My opinion of Iger has evolved over the past week has evolved from extreme dislike to outright hatred. I am not a hating-type of person so I am extremely angry with him and it has become quite personal.

the.dreamfinder

Saw some tweets for the dinner being held at CinemaCon in honor of Kathleen Kennedy. It's so evident that Kathleen CARES about doing good work. I can't say that about Bob.
Kathleen sees what things CAN be, not what Wall st. thinks they should make financially.

Projects Produced by Kennedy:
ET
Jurassic Park
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Schindler's List
Lincoln
Back to the Future
Many, many more

Bob only fought for Twin Peaks. While a great show, it pales in comparison to Kathleen Kennedy's body of work and her tireless support of creatives.

articos

Saw some tweets for the dinner being held at CinemaCon in honor of Kathleen Kennedy. It's so evident that Kathleen CARES about doing good work. I can't say that about Bob.
Kathleen sees what things CAN be, not what Wall st. thinks they should make financially.

Projects Produced by Kennedy:
ET
Jurassic Park
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Lincoln
Back to the Future
Many, many more

Bob only fought for Twin Peaks. While a great show, it pales in comparison to Kathleen Kennedy's body of work and her tireless support of creatives.
Kathy is a creative producer, and comes from the creative side of things. Bob comes from a creative decision making background, but he is a businessman first, creative second.

the.dreamfinder

Kathy is a creative producer, and comes from the creative side of things. Bob comes from a creative decision making background, but he is a businessman first, creative second.
I understand, Disney is (was?) a creative company. What made TWDC so successful when Eisner/Wells/Katzenburger were in charge was the idea of what Disney CAN be. I see no such ambition from Iger, just bankrolling off of past glories.

articos

I understand, Disney is (was?) a creative company. What made TWDC so successful when Eisner/Wells/Katzenburger were in charge was the idea of what Disney CAN be. I see no such ambition from Iger, just bankrolling off of past glories.
I think Disney is a hamstrung creative company. Lots of creative people and great IP with no budgets to do anything with. Iger knows what he's doing, we just don't know what his goals are. I suspect his one goal at the moment is to continue to support shareholder value, in order to support his legacy and leave on a high note. Unfortunately, that generally doesn't go along with spending on product.

Also, you've hit it on the head with Eisner/Wells/Katz, as that was a good combination of creative and business that really balanced each other out. There were other factors in play during that era as well, but on the whole, that grouping worked out well.

the.dreamfinder

I think Disney is a hamstrung creative company. Lots of creative people and great IP with no budgets to do anything with. Iger knows what he's doing, we just don't know what his goals are. I suspect his one goal at the moment is to continue to support shareholder value, in order to support his legacy and leave on a high note. Unfortunately, that generally doesn't go along with spending on product.
It also doesn't help that the current franchise sequel template will go bust when he leaves. Pirates 7 or Cars 5 anyone?

PhotoDave219

If they don't want people to see it then dont publish the photo.

Unfortunately with News Aggrigator sites like Huffington Post & Gawker that will publish anything thats on the wire, you really run into a problem that way.

There are fewer and fewer content providers as there are more and more people who dont want to pay for content trying to make money off it. (For example, posting concept art as if it was your own and then having a hissy fit over it. Wasnt yours to begin with)

alphac2005

Not an insider and don't know anything about the situation other than what I've read here. Moving a high school would be easier than commercial properties would be. The school system doesn't have the profit motive that hotels/restaurants/retail naturally have. If an acceptable site can be located, Universal simply funds the building of a new school (bigger/better/cooler/etc) then the school system sells the old property to the park. As long as it's revenue neutral in the short term, the city/county/district would benefit in the long term from more tourist dollars coming into the area.

One caveat, Dr. Phillips High School isn't your standard run of the mill sized school, it's huge and now has something around 3700 students. So, the cost involved will be much higher than most school projects especially considering the sports and arts program at the school. I remember that when I lived down there that the school was woefully overburdened with the number of students compared to what its build size was, which I believe was for 2300 or 2400 students.

My point is just that it's much grander than a standard school, you also need to have a school housed in close relation to where the current property is and there isn't much to go around for a campus of those needs, and it's naive to think that the county would do anything but charge an extremely high premium to sell the land. New schools are far from cheap today, so between the land acquisition costs and act build costs, I personally think it's a moot point.

While there might not be a profit motive, the pols of Orange County have a constituent cost and opposition to something like this idea would probably be sky high.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom