Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
The blog is not a customer service tool or customer feedback.. and that's fine IMO. You don't need one thing to fit everything.. I think they could do a lot better with getting guest relations online and engaged.. but again, that doesn't need to be via the blog.

I know you've criticized them in the past for that.. and what I'm saying is its ok to have a marketing presence without necessarily having your customer service or liaison in the same place or format.

I am only quoting the above because I agreed with the rest. ... Actually, I agree with the above largely as well.

What I have criticized about the DPB is that it doesn't know (well, maybe it does)what it wishes to be. It sorta engages the fans, but leaves all negative comments out ... it sorta answers feedback/questions, but it picks and chooses and you never know whether a question will be answered. It looks like a very amateurish effort on Disney's part and considering they have at least a few media pros taking part, one has to wonder why it feels like that.

You either have a give and take or you don't. I am not criticizing for Disney not wanting to engage its fans. I am criticizing Disney for looking lik it has no clue whether to engage its fans and, if so, how.

I have to keep reminding myself this is a $100 billion media company.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wonder if that will have any effect on its renewal prospects (CBS just renewed 14 shows today, which I am happy about, as I watch 9 of them).

CBS pretty much renewed its entire slate. The only regular that looks played out is CSI:NY. Criminal Minds (which is partially produced by ABC Studios!) is likely coming back pending deals with the cast, same with Two and a Half Men (and 876 jokes). Newcomer Vegas, which was lauded by critics but I couldn't get into, is likely gone. And never count out Rules Of Engagement, the show folks have been asking 'is that still on?' for about the last five years.

As to the original question, I'd hope The Neighbors gets renewed. It was savaged by critics, but it is dumb fun with some heart.

ThemeParks4Life

I admit I never bothered to watch The Neighbors, but I heard Tommy Wiseau was behind the pilot, and seeing how badly-funny The Room was, I'd watch it.

UPDATE: Checked IMDB, nope. Not gonna watch it.

ThemeParks4Life

I like that show, despite not being a Patricia Heaton fan at all. But it in no way compares to Modern Family. I've yet to see a poorly written/produced/directed episode since Day 1, just degrees of excellence.

I liked the first season of Modern Family but the other seasons suck IMO.

emcclay

I admit I never bothered to watch The Neighbors, but I heard Tommy Wiseau was behind the pilot, and seeing how badly-funny The Room was, I'd watch it.

UPDATE: Checked IMDB, nope. Not gonna watch it.

Would hate to get off topic.. but, I am amazed at the fact that I am not the only person on WDW Magic who knows about Wiseau. I'm pretty sure his "Neighbors" won't be premiering anytime soon. He was looking to make "The Room" for Broadway, though.

ThemeParks4Life

Would hate to get off topic.. but, I am amazed at the fact that I am not the only person on WDW Magic who knows about Wiseau. I'm pretty sure his "Neighbors" won't be premiering anytime soon. He was looking to make "The Room" for Broadway, though.

If it weren't for Nostalgia Critic I would have no idea who he is. I'm surprised after the cult following he's gotten from The Room that he hasn't done more. The Room on Broadway would be hilarious XD

emcclay

If it weren't for Nostalgia Critic I would have no idea who he is. I'm surprised after the cult following he's gotten from The Room that he hasn't done more. The Room on Broadway would be hilarious XD

You're tearing me apart. I feel like he has not done more since he is so secretive and selective with whom he works.

djlaosc

CBS pretty much renewed its entire slate. The only regular that looks played out is CSI:NY. Criminal Minds (which is partially produced by ABC Studios!) is likely coming back pending deals with the cast, same with Two and a Half Men (and 876 jokes). Newcomer Vegas, which was lauded by critics but I couldn't get into, is likely gone. And never count out Rules Of Engagement, the show folks have been asking 'is that still on?' for about the last five years.

As to the original question, I'd hope The Neighbors gets renewed. It was savaged by critics, but it is dumb fun with some heart.

Yeah, as I said, I was happy yesterday (watching 9 of the 14 renewed). CSI:NY has had "series finales" for the last two finales, so I am expecting the same from this season (and yes, it will probably be going this year). I've read that Criminal Minds and Two and a Half Men are in talks with the cast at the moment. I'm watching Vegas, but I'm not particularly interested in it, so I won't miss it if it goes. There's some questions about whether the Rules of Engagement cast's contracts are up after this season, and some of them have moved on to new pilots - they've finally reached 100 episodes, so who knows what will happen about that.

We haven't had The Neighbours picked up over here yet, but I have heard about the critics reports - I would still try it if it did come across here though.

jt04

JT ... first you have to actually sign up with their website and make a reservation to actually visit WDW. Then, you need to hope that they'll have a breach of privacy with your info ... and, then, you'll have to hope that they've mined your data enough to figure out whether you are worth $500 or $50.

Bureaucracies :rolleyes:

rael ramone

I am only quoting the above because I agreed with the rest. ... Actually, I agree with the above largely as well.

What I have criticized about the DPB is that it doesn't know (well, maybe it does)what it wishes to be. It sorta engages the fans, but leaves all negative comments out ... it sorta answers feedback/questions, but it picks and chooses and you never know whether a question will be answered. It looks like a very amateurish effort on Disney's part and considering they have at least a few media pros taking part, one has to wonder why it feels like that.

You either have a give and take or you don't. I am not criticizing for Disney not wanting to engage its fans. I am criticizing Disney for looking lik it has no clue whether to engage its fans and, if so, how.

I have to keep reminding myself this is a $100 billion media company.

I think the DPB has as much to do with having an honest dialog with fans as MM+ has to do with making vacations more MAGICAL.

71jason

A bit of NGE news I haven't seen elsewhere, but probably not worthy of its own thread:

Starting in May, maingates (the comp passes Cast Members get) will no longer be printed at the ticket gate. Instead, each CM will get a plastic RFID ticket for each maingate they have, as well as their "maingate card." At the ticket gate, tap your "maingate card," then tap your "maingate #1" ticket to activate it for the day, then "maingate #2", etc.

The kicker is the maingate tickets are permanent. If you lose them, you'll get fined (I assume the price of a one-day ticket). This means CMs are far more likely to loan their maingate only to people they know well enough to get the tickets back at the end of the day. Mom and dad? Sure. Your roommate's cousin's parents? Probably not. WDW has been cracking down on CMs effectively selling admission for a while now, but I think this RFID-enabled plan might be the most effective way yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom