Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think that's why they choose that particular establishment -- they know that any bugs they see are really just bugs.

The one on Federal or are there more than just that one left?

Oh, no. That one closed at least a decade ago. Boy was that filthy. But I still recall going there for a burger after leaving the beach on Senior Skip Day (yeah, the Spirit was waaay kewl even back in high school!). I can still see 'A.A.' in her bathing suit ... ah, memories.

WDW1974

Original Poster
They don't need to hire them, they have plenty of people who know what needs to be fixed, they have a whole dept and they know what they are doing, but they don't have any power to change things. They just document them and forward those reports to the respective depts to get them corrected. It is up to management to change things but they only worry about their budgets and bonuses.

THIS .... THIS is the problem.

I recall hearing this countless times when I've reported something wrong at the parks or resorts. Nothing changes. The problems are never allowed to be fixed.

Still, recall being on the FW boat dock 6-7 years ago with it COVERED with huge cockroaches and people in sandals jumping away in horror and told 'we've complained about this nightly for the last six weeks and no one has gotten out here yet' ... I said that someone needs to call the resort GM and tell them to go to Home Depot and pick up a few dozen cans of insecticide if that was going to be how they handled things.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I guess a representative that is looking out for the products best interest. Roy Jr wasn't considered the brightest bulb but I think he was under estimated.

I often wonder of the feelings between Roy, Ron and Diane. Did Roy Jr have any other option as Disney was subject to corporate raider Saul Steinberg. I did read Diane sold all her stocks in the 80's. Was there bad blood between the families?

Like any wealthy family, there usually are multiple factions fighting all the time ... the Disney family has been no different. And it has largely been the Walt 'side' vs. the Roy 'side' ... goes back decades.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Have you heard about yesterday referendum in Switzerland to put new severe restrictions to executives compensation? (SPOILER: it passed with a LARGE majority ;)

Swiss Voters Move to Restrict Pay of Executives

Swiss voters aren't Americans who have a false sense that CEOs and execs are truly rugged individuals who started with nothing and deserve every penny they get paid.

I guess I'm saying Americans aren't the brightest. Some even dine at places like the Waffle House.

dannyboyindc

I think Disney plays fast and loose with figures and I have done four official tours/sales sessions as well as numerous new resort tours and three webcasts.

Disney makes the numbers accurate by comparing rack rate for its resorts, which only fools pay (I am sure to be flamed for that, but I largely believe it), and using the 'larger' accomodations argument. If you do follow both of those lines, then DVC (even from Disney) is a deal.

But if you constantly get discounts on WDW resorts (and they are out there constantly) and don't need a one bedroom or two bedroom unit with a kitchen, then it absolutely makes no sense at all in any way shape or form.

AND, you can always rent points the times you want to stay at a DVC resort.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Parks Blog has a post today about the 30 year anniversary of the JII opening at Epcot. Of course they neglect to mention the recently "retired" Imagineer involved with it's creation and the fact that they've basically ruined the attraction with subsequent changes.

I love how the Parks Blog calls out things that no longer exist and then allows only sappy comments about how much people miss it. Talk about sanitized.

I'll have to check it out.

But I am not surprised. The word from 1401 Flower is to pretend that Tony doesn't exist. Imagine, Bruce planting one on Tony's cheek as he walks him out and says 'You are dead to us!' and you'd get a good grasp on what the feelings are toward Tony.

There is no way Tony being left out of this was accidental. Just like the fact his portrait for BTMRR wasn't shown in the DPB video and,apparently, hasn't been installed yet (anyone correct me if I am mistaken).

Tony doesn't exist. Just remember that. If they have done it to members of the Disney family, and they have, why would this surprise anyone?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
AND, you can always rent points the times you want to stay at a DVC resort.

Which has always been win/win for me and the renter. Of course, I've only rented to people I know. I'd hate to have a bunch of spring breakers spilling their trash can of Hawaiian Punch and vodka on the sofa whilst punching holes in the wall every time they fall over doing the Harlem Shake.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah although @BlueSkyDriveBy said last night it cost them $350 mil to make and market in which case they'll have to bring in $700 mil revenue to break even. But yeah, they really gotta hope for the best case scenario here and that snowstorm expected in Midwest/Northeast aint helping the cause.

Edit; Countdown to Shareholder Meeting: Tomorrow!

I've given my prediction on Oz's opening on the Disney Springs thread ($69 million).

And thanks for reminding me that I have to vote my proxy card by phone tonight!

Genie of the Lamp

I've given my prediction on Oz's opening on the Disney Springs thread ($69 million).

And thanks for reminding me that I have to vote my proxy card by phone tonight!

Your welcome.:) My Oz predictions are $70.2 mil domestically and $29.8 mil internationally which I also put in your Disney Springs thread. It's a visually stunning movie I'm told so I'll help their cause and pay extra to see it in IMAX 3D.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Those are some serious numbers....I don't know enough about the film industry to make predictions, but that seems like a lot of ground to make up from the start.

Yep.

And that is the problem with the direction Iger has steered the Studios unit in.

Every film they release this year will be hugely expensive (Oz, Iron Man 3, Lone Ranger, Monsters U, Thor 2 for starters). Films that cost hundreds of millions to start with and then add in worldwide marketing. Every film has to do HUGE at the BO. No longer is $100 million a blockbuster. No longer is $200 million a HUGE blockbuster. Now ... you need to start about at $300 million and then go ...

It is a terrible strategy. Even with Avengers last year, Disney's Studios had issues ...

fosse76

The percentage that a studio gets is based on the length of time a movie is in the theater.

Some films that are big massive openings will take 100% of the box office and maybe 10-15% of concessions.

The movie studios don't receive any cut of the concessions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom