Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Alektronic

They seriously need to hire some quality control people in general. This is just another example of the lack of attention to detail that seems to be the norm now. Wasn't WDW built with extreme attention to detail as it's trademark in the first place? They could use some employees whose sole job is pointing out the obvious issues and suggesting simple ways to fix them. There are more than a few people around here who would be perfect for the job...

They don't need to hire them, they have plenty of people who know what needs to be fixed, they have a whole dept and they know what they are doing, but they don't have any power to change things. They just document them and forward those reports to the respective depts to get them corrected. It is up to management to change things but they only worry about their budgets and bonuses.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They don't need to hire them, they have plenty of people who know what needs to be fixed, they have a whole dept and they know what they are doing, but they don't have any power to change things. They just document them and forward those reports to the respective depts to get them corrected. It is up to management to change things but they only worry about their budgets and bonuses.

In that case than maybe they just need to include a quality control component in the bonus plan. The best way to get management to do anything would be to directly impact their bottom line. This would have to come down from the corporate office not local management.

Genie of the Lamp

I posted this in the Tragic Kingdom thread as well and figured I'd post it on here since it's a Spirited Observation research find:<< Here's a vid link I found on CNBC that was uploaded last friday showing CALSTRS CEO Jack Ehnes: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000149904
The thing I got away from the vid is that he stated that two years ago, they approved Iger/Execs. compensation pay/salary at a rating of 77%. It's now down to 57% he said. 4:55 talks about say and pay vote. Average approval rating on say and pay in America in the Russel 300 is 91%. He stated 55 companies there are under 50% and knows DIS is getting close to it. Says shareholders are starting to ask questions about their proxy access, governance, and Executive compensations. Enjoy if you haven't seen it.>>

Edit; Countdown to Shareholders meeting: 4 days going on 3.

Clever Name

I posted this in the Tragic Kingdom thread as well and figured I'd post it on here since it's a Spirited Observation research find:<< Here's a vid link I found on CNBC that was uploaded last friday showing CALSTRS CEO Jack Ehnes: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000149904
The thing I got away from the vid is that he stated that two years ago, they approved Iger/Execs. compensation pay/salary at a rating of 77%. It's now down to 57% he said. 4:55 talks about say and pay vote. Average approval rating on say and pay in America in the Russel 300 is 91%. He stated 55 companies there are under 50% and knows DIS is getting close to it. Says shareholders are starting to ask questions about their proxy access, governance, and Executive compensations. Enjoy if you haven't seen it.>>

Clearly Maria Bartiromo (CNBC's "Money Honey") could get a job working for ABC anytime. Jack Ehnes made the fatal mistake of drowning in his own numbers. Iger wins!

HMF

You can tell the CNBC Anchors are right in Wall Streets pocket.

Genie of the Lamp

You can tell the CNBC Anchors are right in Wall Streets pocket.

Tell me about it. But at least this is making worldwide headlines as well as I found this article on the South China Morning Post this morning:
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/arti...ors-threaten-revolt-over-chief-executives-pay
Robert really has that gray hair coming in these days.

Countdown to shareholders meeting: 3 days!

To go back to NGE, I didn't realize this, but one of my local news stations (KDKA Pittsburgh) did a story on NG/Magicbands on WDW and one of the reporters had an exclusive chat with Nick Franklin on them and said they're going to debute MagicBands this spring. Here's the link:
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/02/11/disney-to-debut-new-magic-bands-this-spring/
Granted, it's a little ancient. But nonetheless, you see Franklin in this vid.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Tell me about it. But at least this is making worldwide headlines as well as I found this article on the South China Morning Post this morning:
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/arti...ors-threaten-revolt-over-chief-executives-pay
Robert really has that gray hair coming in these days.

Countdown to shareholders meeting: 3 days!.

My 2 cents on the executive compensation issue. Iger should not be both Chairman and CEO. A company the size of TWDC should absolutely have an independent chairman. For smaller companies or ones that are more narrowly focused it might make sense, but not for Disney. Iger's compensation is crazy. Most CEOs compensation is, but his is perhaps extreme. Even though the stock is soaring there have to be limits to one man's pay.

I don't really feel that the new "say on pay" rules enacted as part of Dodd Frank will be particularly useful in helping with the issues. The majority of large public companies have diverse, institutional shareholders who rely heavily on the proxy advisors to suggest a yes or no vote on any shareholder votes including compensation. Instead of individual shareholders having more visibility into and say on executive pay companies are just bending over backwards to meet whatever requirements these proxy advisors put out to ensure they suggest a yes vote. The power has shifted from individual boards (who have a lot more intimate knowledge of the company) to these proxy advisory companies. The end result is the same. In the fist year less than 3 percent of the top 3,000 corporations failed their say on pay vote. Another alarming issue for shareholders is a no vote on say on pay generally results in bad PR and a decreased stock price. Hard to advise people to do something that is almost certain to damage their shareholder value. IMHO it makes more sense to have independent BODs who actively challenge management and act as a true checks and balances system like they are designed to do. Having your CEO as chairman kills that independence. Allowing proxy advisors to dictate what a corporation should and shouldn't do is not really a step in the right direction. You can bet a company like TWDC is putting on a full court press with these advisors to make sure they don't advise a no vote.

Computer Magic

Clearly Maria Bartiromo (CNBC's "Money Honey") could get a job working for ABC anytime. Jack Ehnes made the fatal mistake of drowning in his own numbers. Iger wins!
I was disappointed in the way she acted. I didn't think she was so short sided. There is more than a stock price to a company. The stock is inflated by robbing Paul to pay Peter. What happens when you can't cut anything else and you have to rely on the product to incrase revenue?

Iger pay is based on stock price so why wouldn't he sell long term procuduct for short term stock price. He leaves by 2016 so why does he care what he leaves after this.

I just wish Disney had a Disney name to represent the company's best interest. :-(

Computer Magic

Why would they when Roy kicked them out? And it's not like creative integrity is genetic.
I guess a representative that is looking out for the products best interest. Roy Jr wasn't considered the brightest bulb but I think he was under estimated.

I often wonder of the feelings between Roy, Ron and Diane. Did Roy Jr have any other option as Disney was subject to corporate raider Saul Steinberg. I did read Diane sold all her stocks in the 80's. Was there bad blood between the families?

Genie of the Lamp

I was just on Orlando Theme Park News and I found this interesting tidbit on an Interactive WDW website coming as it pertains to an element of NG:
http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2013/03/interactivewdw-interactive-disney.html
(On a side note with Oz coming out this Friday, I checked Rotten Tomatoes about 10 min ago and they have rated Oz a 71% fresh/approval rating (10/14 viewers liked) and here's a NY Times link about Oz and upcoming Live action slate/pictures in production at Disney Studios: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/b...ambles-on-box-office-wizardry-of-oz.html?_r=0 *Says Oz costed em $325 million to make and market )

Countdown to Shareholders Meeting: 2 days!

Belowthesurface

This is so true. Disney loses so many talented people because they don't know what to do with them or refuse to recognize them for trying to make things better.

Do you want to be successful at Disney?

1. Learn those buzz words... magical, immersive, Guest experience, new offerings, dreams.
2. Shut up and do what you are told.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This is so true. Disney loses so many talented people because they don't know what to do with them or refuse to recognize them for trying to make things better.

Do you want to be successful at Disney?

1. Learn those buzz words... magical, immersive, Guest experience, new offerings, dreams.
2. Shut up and do what you are told.
You forgot temporary, value, homogonous.

Pentacat

Parks Blog has a post today about the 30 year anniversary of the JII opening at Epcot. Of course they neglect to mention the recently "retired" Imagineer involved with it's creation and the fact that they've basically ruined the attraction with subsequent changes.

I love how the Parks Blog calls out things that no longer exist and then allows only sappy comments about how much people miss it. Talk about sanitized.

COProgressFan

Parks Blog has a post today about the 30 year anniversary of the JII opening at Epcot. Of course they neglect to mention the recently "retired" Imagineer involved with it's creation and the fact that they've basically ruined the attraction with subsequent changes.

I love how the Parks Blog calls out things that no longer exist and then allows only sappy comments about how much people miss it. Talk about sanitized.

It's quite ridiculous. The lack of Baxter's mention is, sadly, not surprising. And I can't imagine why they don't allow the comments about how the current Imagination is a mess.

Equally absurd is the temporary return of Four For a Dollar for Limited Time Tragic (rumored in another thread). I actually find it quite offensive -- we got rid of this group because we didn't want to pay for their pre-show anymore (though I think they all ended up elsewhere in entertainment roles) but look we'll bring them back for a special limited one week engagement!

I can never really be quite sure if the social media team is that stupid, or if they think their guests are that stupid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom