Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

ParentsOf4

This whole datamining/privacy issue has got to be driving Iger crazy. He seems have to expressed initial concerns with NextGen but his team sold him hard on it, and he went along with it largely because his team convinced him he should. Now, with his response to Rep. Markey, Iger’s been forced to embrace it as his own.

His Legal Dept. is right. NextGen should be able to survive court challenges. Iger’s bigger problem is the court of public opinion. So far, reaction to MyMagic+ is decidedly mixed, with lots of concern expressed over privacy, child safety, and comfort/fashion. Don’t underestimate this last point. It looks like a lot of people simply don’t want to wear a wristband while on vacation. It would be embarrassing for Iger & co. to have MagicBands flop after placing them front and center.

Iger needs to change the headline. Now would be a good time to announce a theme park expansion.

There still are plenty of opportunities for NextGen to be financially successful but the headaches his team has caused Iger are almost enough to make you feel sorry for him.

Almost.

Disneyhead'71

And here is another one from Dec. 19, 2012. Just over a month ago:

Man arrested on child charges was Disney worker.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/orange-county-man-arrested-child--possession-c/nTZ6j/

Longhairbear

An example of what planning ahead entails.
We are DVC members, and can book our stays 11 months out at our home resort of VWL. Any other DVC resort, we can book 7 months out. That means our second or third, or fourth choice of resorts is where we end up booking, and we're good with that. Not so at DLR.
There are only 50 villas available, usually booked up at 7 months for us. We get lucky at times, and so we are going to DLR this sunday for a few nights.
That's about as much planning ahead as I want to do. I will call for a reservation at Carthay Circle, but that is it. I can't imagine going to FLA and planning all my FP+, my resort, my dining, my parades, fireworks etc.
That's just too much pressure! I can't, and won't do that.
When we go back to FLA, which we haven't in a few years, I have to plan groceries for our DVC kitchen to save some bucks over going out every night. We bought our DVC to save money, and if ordering groceries 6 months out was part of that, we were ok. We are not ok with planning that far out for our daily routine. Anyone that does that is insane.
The weather changes, so instead of MK, we cool off at Blizzard Beach. Are there going to be FP+ at the water parks? It rains the day we are DAK, did we just lose our FP+ on the Safari?
This Next Gen totally sucks in our humble opinion, and it's just common. I'm going to play the elitist card, and say it is just common. We all pay an enormous amount of money to go to WDW, DLR, and the other resorts.
For the money I spend, and have spent, I don't want a plastic bangle to open my resort door. I want a shiny brass key that bespeaks the amount of money I paid for my accommodations.
Are they really going to put plastic bracelets on the upper crust at the Grand Floridian, the entire bridal party at the wedding pavilion, and the homeowners at Golden Oak?

alissafalco

An example of what planning ahead entails.
We are DVC members, and can book our stays 11 months out at our home resort of VWL. Any other DVC resort, we can book 7 months out. That means our second or third, or fourth choice of resorts is where we end up booking, and we're good with that. Not so at DLR.
There are only 50 villas available, usually booked up at 7 months for us. We get lucky at times, and so we are going to DLR this sunday for a few nights.
That's about as much planning ahead as I want to do. I will call for a reservation at Carthay Circle, but that is it. I can't imagine going to FLA and planning all my FP+, my resort, my dining, my parades, fireworks etc.
That's just too much pressure! I can't, and won't do that.
When we go back to FLA, which we haven't in a few years, I have to plan groceries for our DVC kitchen to save some bucks over going out every night. We bought our DVC to save money, and if ordering groceries 6 months out was part of that, we were ok. We are not ok with planning that far out for our daily routine. Anyone that does that is insane.
The weather changes, so instead of MK, we cool off at Blizzard Beach. Are there going to be FP+ at the water parks? It rains the day we are DAK, did we just lose our FP+ on the Safari?
This Next Gen totally sucks in our humble opinion, and it's just common. I'm going to play the elitist card, and say it is just common. We all pay an enormous amount of money to go to WDW, DLR, and the other resorts.
For the money I spend, and have spent, I don't want a plastic bangle to open my resort door. I want a shiny brass key that bespeaks the amount of money I paid for my accommodations.
Are they really going to put plastic bracelets on the upper crust at the Grand Floridian, the entire bridal party at the wedding pavilion, and the homeowners at Golden Oak?

I totally agree 100%. on our last trip in Sept. I always felt rushed and looking at my watch to make sure we didnt miss any of our dining reservations, and that was just for dining reservations. Forget about it if we had to plan rides, parades etc. At certain times we were even speed walking so we wouldn't miss them. Having a family with 2 small children things take more time than usual and things don't always go as expected. I don't even want to have ADR's the next time we go for that reason. We will just be eating at QS because timing my every move is not a vacation to me.

rael ramone

This whole datamining/privacy issue has got to be driving Iger crazy. He seems have to expressed initial concerns with NextGen but his team sold him hard on it, and he went along with it largely because his team convinced him he should. Now, with his response to Rep. Markey, Iger’s been forced to embrace it as his own.

His Legal Dept. is right. NextGen should be able to survive court challenges. Iger’s bigger problem is the court of public opinion. So far, reaction to MyMagic+ is decidedly mixed, with lots of concern expressed over privacy, child safety, and comfort/fashion. Don’t underestimate this last point. It looks like a lot of people simply don’t want to wear a wristband while on vacation. It would be embarrassing for Iger & co. to have MagicBands flop after placing them front and center.

Iger needs to change the headline. Now would be a good time to announce a theme park expansion.

There still are plenty of opportunities for NextGen to be financially successful but the headaches his team has caused Iger are almost enough to make you feel sorry for him.

Almost.

Legal looked at this as "What does the COPPA law actually say, and does what we do clear it". Legal apparantly didn't ask "Will us using a recently created loophole tick off the original co-author of COPPA, put our executive team under oath in front of a bunch of reps with various agendas and possibly be forced to reveal the dark side of our 'super sparkly' Mouse Arrest bands, and at the end of the day see the BRAND get a big black eye and/or Congress deciding to change the law, forcing us to recover our capex by only being able to mine the over 13 crowd?"

briandoc

I'm kind of curious what all the data-mining of the under 13 crowd is supposed to reveal? Doesn't anyone at Disney have kids? They want toys, candy, jewelry, clothes, electronics, blah blah blah ... uh basically whatever they can reach in the store or that the person next to them, their friend or on TV is wearing or playing with. There. I saved them at least a billion dollars. My invoice is in the mail. :rolleyes:

awoogala

No words like magical, dreams, wishes, memories, etc. in their interviews. Easiest way to tell the guest is a plant.

Or, he could stand in line at an attraction or the exit of them and listen to comments without even interacting if he doesn't want to deal with the unwashed masses.

Unless i say "USED to be magical" "Broken dreams" "wishes that wdw would get back to it's old ways of doing things" "memories of customer service that were amazing.."
;)

alphac2005

Almost.

That pretty much encapsulates it all. Legality versus good common business sense is what is at play here. Perception versus reality is what they're dealing with now. As you've noted, there are so many different complaint pathways here. Strip out all the privacy concern noted guests and look towards the people that couldn't care less about that, but will refuse to wear a ridiculous wristband. They'll get headaches from them in droves along with the privacy concerns from others.

I, for one, just want working light bulbs, proper paint, fully functioning show scenes, and bathrooms that don't smell like an armpit.

But the headline? Didn't you hear? There's no need to announce expansions when earth shattering events like Limited Time Magic will bring in customers in droves. ;) Limited Time Magic is where it's at.

Jakester

So at DHS, does it stand now that the Major E-Ticket for Pixar Land will be an Incredibles ride besides RSR? Or does RSR have the possibility still?

flynnibus

Premium Member

Glad to hear you were there in the meetings to relay these important facts to us.

MattM

I know Michael Eisner and in sports terms, Iger can't carry his jock. He absolutely doesn't get Disney more than Michael did (or does). He has done far more to continue Michael's mistakes than to open his own legacy. ... He had no choice on DCA. If Michael were still running Disney, then DCA would have still been made over. There was no choice. ... And Star Wars/Lucas Film, on the surface it looks like a great move. But you don't judge something like that in weeks. Let's see how it looks in a decade.

This is an interesting point. With my only real background knowledge coming from Stewart's "Disney War" (which I'm sure most fanbois have either burned, or framed), my initial impression of Eisner was largely that he was an egotisical control freak. I believe he even though of himself as the reincarnate of Walt. But you know, the man had a vision for the company, and he was a parks guy. It is sad that he (Eisner) didn't keep around at least one guy that could tell him no and he didn't think they were out to get him (Eisner never really trusted Iger).

Iger is a brilliant CEO. But you just get that the man has no idea where he really wants to take this company, especially the parks. He's been fantastic for shareholders.

But I kinda think that if they asked for a vote today between Iger and Eisner, I'd choose...Eisner.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Strip out all the privacy concern noted guests and look towards the people that couldn't care less about that, but will refuse to wear a ridiculous wristband

We're talking about a population that wears Goofy hats... little round ears on everything... beanie hats and dresses explicitly to match the brand... from t-shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, hair pieces, watches, glasses, etc. Then we have the lanyards, hip purses, etc. We think this group is going to have some fashion backbone all of a sudden and revolt over a simple band they've received from the holy spirit itself? (Disney)

And never mind they don't HAVE to use the Band, but can still use a card.

What exactly is this population going to complain about again?

DougK

I am sure they will have Gold Magic Bands available for the "Elite People".

"Elite People" is defined as anyone who is willing to and can afford to pay the upcharge for the Gold Magic Band!

alphac2005

We're talking about a population that wears Goofy hats... little round ears on everything... beanie hats and dresses explicitly to match the brand... from t-shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, hair pieces, watches, glasses, etc. Then we have the lanyards, hip purses, etc. We think this group is going to have some fashion backbone all of a sudden and revolt over a simple band they've received from the holy spirit itself? (Disney)

And never mind they don't HAVE to use the Band, but can still use a card.

What exactly is this population going to complain about again?

Ok, I get it, people are slobs, but do you know what? Not everyone is. Amazingly, when my wife and I were down in Orlando less than two weeks ago, we saw many people that were presented well and, yes, we were in theme parks where we saw many well put together people. Personally, I'm fit and well put together, but I'd never wear a Disney park bracelet because I find things like bracelets to feel annoying.

I understand they don't HAVE to use the band, but that's all part of the perception versus reality. The reality is that even if the vast amount of the consumers are ignorant, Disney still has to deal with that, period. You, I, and about everyone in-between here knows that there is the card alternative, but that doesn't matter in the real world. It'll be a real treat for the frontline cast to have to deal with the moaning band wearers on a daily basis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom