Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

GrumpyFan

It comes down to individual privacy, freedom and the ability to do what you want without being watched.

I want to be left alone in the parks so I can converse with whatever lady friend I happen to be with.

There has been no mention or indication whatsoever, that this will change in any way, that I have seen. What have you seen that makes you believe otherwise?

Also, I don't want my purchases tracked. No, I don't feel that information will be useful and be used to cater to me one bit. I feel it will be continued justification that will empower management to continue to do other things I don't like and erode the guest experience more than it already has.

I dont want my credit card/personal on file, attached to a device I can just tap to spend money. What if there's another receiver in the area or attached to the device, ala credit card skimmers at gas pumps. Also, there are hackers out there that love breaking into computers. I'd rather not have to deal with that kind of BS simply because I went to WDW.[/quote]

They "track" your purchases now, without a device, they just attach that tracking to your credit card. All you have to do is not to attach a credit card to the device, then either pay with your credit card or use cash.

Bottom line, I just dont want to feel like I'm being watched 24/7 while I'm at WDW. Its Big Brother-ish 1984-style and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Thats the big part of it.

And with that, I will go to the happiest place on earth.

You should probably avoid going out in public then, or using the Internet or a cell phone.

Genie of the Lamp

Because a lot of the new members who have shown up here the last few days have one purpose: to derail threads, cause arguments, and get the discussion off topic... Few have come here with the intentions you described lately... It isn't fair to punish all new members cause I'm sure are here to cause problems... But, if setting up a system where new member posts have to be reviewed and moderated for a period of time to make sure you aren't here to cause problems, then so be it... A lot of the nonsense would have been avoided this weekend, especially since previously banned members keep coming back just to stir the pot...

Am I one of the ones who falls into this category Mr./Ms.? If so, I'm sorry I didn't mean to cause any harm.:(

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Why are you being so tough on "New Members"? We come to this site because we have questions and we join because we like to feel free to talk about Disney with other people who share our interest. If you continue to talk down to new members, I can assure you there will be no one will want to join. If talking about why we love WDW, or Disney in general, is irritating to you, WHY are you on this site?

On another note, why do you care? You don't like how 74' posts, don't like his message, don't like how he treats new members who are obviously looking to cause problems, then maybe the best thing for you would be to avoid this thread? There are hundreds of others, and plenty of members willing to talk about all the things they love about WDW.

Why come into this thread and post a question that has nothing to do with why you love WDW, or Disney in general?

Captain Chaos

Am I one of the ones who falls into this category Mr./Ms.? If so, I'm sorry I didn't mean to cause any harm.:(
Ohhh you know who I meant.. LOL.. You haven't caused a stir at all.. But some others have... Which is why I said it would stink for all new members to have to be moderated and posts approved at first, but if it cuts down on the nonsense, then so be it...

Bcakd

On another note, why do you care? You don't like how 74' posts, don't like his message, don't like how he treats new members who are obviously looking to cause problems, then maybe the best thing for you would be to avoid this thread? There are hundreds of others, and plenty of members willing to talk about all the things they love about WDW.

Why come into this thread and post a question that has nothing to do with why you love WDW, or Disney in general?
Because I posted a thread about resort restaurants and asking for suggestions from others, and this person blasts me for not posting in the correct area. Seriously????? I wasn't bothering a soul and I get reprimanded like a child because this person feels like he/she is the forum God! I didn't realize this was such a hateful site. Maybe the best thing for you to do, is to go look in a mirror and ask "Why am I acting like such a "! Sounds like you older members are the ones wanting to "start problems". I mean this is a site about an amusement park and company. RELAX!!! You aren't balancing the budget or performing life saving proceedures. Lighten UP!!!! Please forgive those of us who mistakenly though we were just asking a question. Geeeeezzz!

invader

Because I posted a thread about resort restaurants and asking for suggestions from others, and this person blasts me for not posting in the correct area. Seriously????? I wasn't bothering a soul and I get reprimanded like a child because this person feels like he/she is the forum God! I didn't realize this was such a hateful site. Maybe the best thing for you to do, is to go look in a mirror and ask "Why am I acting like such a "! Sounds like you older members are the ones wanting to "start problems". I mean this is a site about an amusement park and company. RELAX!!! You aren't balancing the budget or performing life saving proceedures. Lighten UP!!!! Please forgive those of us who mistakenly though we were just asking a question. Geeeeezzz!

I just read that thread and SirLink didn't blast you at all. Maybe you need to lighten up.

briandoc

It's sad how one Magical thread like this one has poisoned my thinking. I was just reading an article about a 4yr old dying of a terminal disease that had me all choked up. Then the last few lines came:

Suhr said his foundation works with Make-A-Wish and encourages families of children with MLD to get in contact with organizations like it and “live as much life as quickly as they can with these kids.”

“We always encourage the families to live it up,” he said. “Live a lifetime in months and years.”

Addi took a Make-A-Wish trip to Disney World in Florida last year. “I wanted her to experience that,” Sinnamond said.

And in my mind now, I was waiting for "Sadly, Addi was discouraged at how stale the park had grown compared to her parent's descriptions from years past and wondered why they were wasting so much money trying to track her."

And to answer the taunt before it's thrown out there: No, I'm going to continue to read this forum and thread. It's like Honey Boo Boo, sometimes despite the desire, you just can't turn away.

baymenxpac

don't worry: it gets better.

in all seriousness, '74 is referring to quite a number of disney social media plants that come through this way to combat very legitimate grievances some of us have. that's why new members, specifically in this thread, are treated with skepticism.

as far as posting in the wrong section, no problem. everyone who's new to a board has done it.

also, i refer you to josh lyman's story line in "the u.s. post laureate" episode of west wing season 3 for some message board laughs that you'll enjoy.

anywhoooooo, have some fun.

Bcakd

Seriously? Calling someone out for not staying on point? When even the thread owner doesn't stay on topic? Which is the very reason @Bcakd posted his opinion that you are now bashing?
I DID NOT realize I was in the wrong thread!!!!! For the love of God, call the internet police. I think I'll look for a less militant Disney web site to go to. Thanks for the all the kindness!! And by the way, I am just a mom who is trying to make the most out of my families vacations. I didn't join this site to be treated like an idiot. The main reason I go to Disney is because its friendly, however I am beginning to wonder why some of you go, because friendly doesn't seem to be something you are looking for. It's called manners: look it up!

PotteryGal

I haven't been on WDWMagic in a long time and only came back because we are planning our first trip back to WDW in 4 years. Following all this NextGen/MyMagic stuff has given me an honest to goodness headache when it comes to planning ~ we are returning in June so I'm assuming they will have started this at least in stages with resort guests. Since we are staying off-property, I'm hoping that the old fastpass system will still be around; how likely is that? We are paying cash for food/merchandise just to keep a close watch on our vacation budget and not be tempted to spend money we don't have. I would rather stick with the old system and see how things play out. Disney isn't being forthcoming in my opinion about the timeframe for all of this, and that's maddening to me. I think they are going to make the 'opt-out' option as unappealing as they can, and that's what bothers me the most. The choice will be in Disney's hands, not mine. Having to switch to this program to have a hope of getting fastpasses for the attractions you want? Vacations are supposed to be relaxing, not programmed aren't they?
I also have a question as to how they're going to deal with all the various tour groups with this program. It's possible my daughter will be traveling with our school's marching band to WDW in 2015. Will every band student be given an Magicband when they get there? Will they have to pick out what they want to do before they even leave home? This applies to any group: cheer, sports, band, Brazilians. Will there be incentives for such groups? SHOULD there be incentives for such groups?
We also have kept a GAC on hand in the past, as our youngest is on the autistic spectrum. How will that be affected? I have to plan for his needs in the midst of all this carp Disney is planning to do. I'm not expecting definitive answers from anyone, but these are concerns of mine. Planning a Disney trip is becoming a chore and not so much fun anymore. :(

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Yeah. It definitely seems like I'm the one who needs to lighten up.

Bcakd

Yeah. It definitely seems like I'm the one who needs to lighten up.
How sad you must be :( Does it make you feel like a real man to belittle someone on a site about an amusement park? You are so cool! And now, I will let you have the last word. Because I am sure thats what you are accustomed to.

Bcakd

I just read that thread and SirLink didn't blast you at all. Maybe you need to lighten up.[/quote
Ummm, yeah he did! He could have explained what I did wrong and advised me on how to correct it. Instead, he decided to be a jerk. And since then, no one has posted. HE IS A BULLY!!!!

tink1

I'm confused. I see where SirLink said "Shouldn't this be in General Discussion ...", while you are complaining about a different user, WDW1974, attacking you. I don't get it???

stlphil

This isn't a simple question, but I can try to tell you why it bothers me.

First, it totally changes the dynamic of the theme park vacation, introducing technical hurdles and roadblocks to what is supposed to be a carefree experience, or, as someone else put it, an escape from the real world. Way too much hassle and planning.

Second, it creates an environment which can and may lead to a vastly different experience between haves and have nots, or opt-ins and opt-outs. Artificially lengthening wait times and then selling a service to alleviate the "problem" is tantamount to extortion. No thanks, I'm not interested.

Third, as to the privacy concerns, sure, it's Disney, they're harmless, they promise this is a benign thing. Okay, fine, but there's an awful lot of money to be made with this technology. Introducing flashy wristbands (reminds me of the Silly Bands fad actually) in a theme park environment is a great way to get the public-- and our children-- to see RFID tracking in a non-threatening way.

But what happens when Disney sees the profit involved (if they haven't already) in selling this technology for use elsewhere once the public is "comfortable" with it? What happens when your child's school district demands that your son or daughter wear an RFID tracking device at all times on school property? As a society, are we comfortable with outfitting our kids with what amounts to house arrest bracelets?

Conspiracy theory or not, that's a feasible scenario, and yes, as a parent and an American citizen this technology troubles me on a deeply emotional level. And perhaps that's why (IMHO at least) people are uncomfortable with the use of this technology by a company that used to preach hope and omtimism for the future.

I'm not an expert on all things but as a consumer, I know what I feel. And this just doesn't feel right to me.

I doubt the family in the Carousel of Progress would tout the wonders of RFID tracking as one of the amazing technologies they've come to love.

The Supreme Court has already ruled that tracking is the same thing as searching, and that if it is the government doing it tracking is an illegal search when done without due process.

Now I realize that the fourth amendment doesn't apply to private entities like Disney, but now that the equivalence of tracking and searching is established in law, I think we should substitute the word "searching" for "tracking" in all posts, both pro and con, and see how everyone feels about it then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom