Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

No, it shows they currently disapprove of Congress on the whole. It doesn't translate that they don't trust them on certain individual topics. Or that they disapprove of them making inquiries like this one.

Well it would be a safe bet that if asked the 8 million+ out of work would be mad this man is dealing with this instead of the unemployment problem. If asked I bet the majority of the country would rather have this man dealing with gun violence, debt, immigration, debt ceiling, etc. instead of a nonissue.

Plus from reading multiple sources of this story this is the only site I have seen that has people attacking Iger and defending the congressman. A majority of all sites including nondisney sites clearly side with Iger.

disney fan 13

Well it would be a safe bet that if asked the 8 million+ out of work would be mad this man is dealing with this instead of the unemployment problem. If asked I bet the majority of the country would rather have this man dealing with gun violence, debt, immigration, debt ceiling, etc. instead of a nonissue.

Plus from reading multiple sources of this story this is the only site I have seen that has people attacking Iger and defending the congressman. A majority of all sites including nondisney sites clearly side with Iger.

Then go there.

MattM

Tell me more about how Congress creates jobs...

Skyway

Iger's letter may come across as insulting to any parent who had the same legitimate questions as Rep. Markey.

On the other hand, Markey is no angel in this. He posted a press release about his letter to Disney on his Congressional website at the same time he sent Disney the letter. No matter what his true motivations and concerns are, he wanted publicity (how many other letters from Markey get their own press release?). It would be like your boss sending an email to all your coworkers announcing your termination before actually telling you personally you were getting laid off.

Iger's response may have been totally justified in the cutthroat world of business and politics. Markey punched him in the face. He punched Markey back in the groin.

But Iger also needs to consider the impression he's giving to his customers that might be uneasy strapping a homing device on to their children's wrist. After all, they're the ones he needs to keep happy and comfortable in order to recoup that $2 Billion.

PhotoDave219

CAN WE PLEASE NOT FEED/ENGAGE OBVIOUS TROLLS?!?!

There is plenty to talk about without playing their games. 20 posts counting. Joined today. ONE THREAD when we all know Disney doesn't want this discussion.

I hear that the MK is in a crash-cleaning mode with Iger coming this week....

awoogala

Iger's letter may come across as insulting to any parent who had the same legitimate questions as Rep. Markey.

But Iger also needs to consider the impression he's giving to his customers that might be uneasy strapping a homing device on to their children's wrist. After all, they're the ones he needs to keep happy and comfortable in order to recoup that $2 Billion.

Absolutely. No matter what, he's speaking for DISNEY. Disney sells us on pixie dust, sweet childhood memories, fantasy and fluff. Coming off as an irate, nasty ceo type casts them as their own stereotypical villians. Not a good move. Someone should have called in a writing team who knows how to phrase things in a sweeter tone. Spin it so you don't come off as defensive and irritated, but only offended that anyone could begin to think Disney would do anything to abuse it's relationship with the good old american family. PR must have been sleeping on this one.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've been on the internet too long -- the way I read it, Iger's upset that anyone believes that Disney would introduce a program that manipulates children "haphazardly or recklessly".

"Disney does not use personal information to market to children". Every time I see that line quoted, the preposition jumps out at me as the obvious weakness.

Good point.

Disney is VERY conscious of children and manipulating them. I started WWIII in the summer of 2011 when I had a social media thread on another Disney site (whose discussion boards are basically dead now) and I used the words 'Disney' and 'child' and 'exploitation' in a post discussing a paid Disney BRAND ADVOCATE's trip around the USA (including WDW and DL stops and a DCL cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver).

Disney is very good at using children (mostly to get their parents to spend more $$$ than they intended), but they'd rather not discuss that (naturally).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hot off the press, quoting from Iger's written response to Rep. Markey's letter:

“The MagicBand is not GPS-based and does not enable collection of continuous location signals. The long-range readers which detect the MagicBands will be in specific locations for the purpose of providing better service to our guests.”

As completely expected based on the FCC filings, MagicBands+ permit tracking but not on a "continuous location" basis. Gotta love the round-about "yes" answer to "Can Disney track you?":) Again, this is consistent with the technology being employed in MagicBands v1.0. Can't wait for them to upgrade the technology in a few years. I'm already expecting to read that response: "We've been tracking our guests for years. The new technology allows us to track them with even greater accuracy to provide them with an even more magical vacation.":rolleyes:

Furthermore, Disney confirms that there are "long-range readers". No need to walk through a doorway or ride entrance where they might have installed short-range readers. They've got you covered at distance.:eek:

Yes, I thought that was telling. But I thought the entire response was telling and not in a very flattering way for Iger or for the company's cause.

PhotoDave219

Yes, I thought that was telling. But I thought the entire response was telling and not in a very flattering way for Iger or for the company's cause.

It really wasn't professional or becoming of a corporate CEO. It was much more like a semi-polite "F Off" to the congressman. If anything, that response will redouble the congressman's efforts to dig into what the mouse is doing.

**** WARNING****** Conspiracy Theory Ahead, Tinfoil Hats Recommended!

..... Unless thats exactly what Iger wants, so he can kill MyMagic+ and blame Congress for having to do so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom