Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Captain Chaos

It really wasn't professional or becoming of a corporate CEO. It was much more like a semi-polite "F Off" to the congressman. If anything, that response will redouble the congressman's efforts to dig into what the mouse is doing.

**** WARNING****** Conspiracy Theory Ahead, Tinfoil Hats Recommended!

..... Unless thats exactly what Iger wants, so he can kill MyMagic+ and blame Congress for having to do so.
Financial firm CEOs were basically called crooks to their faces and weren't disrespectful like Iger, who wasn't called a crook or thief... Several simple questions could have been answered with detail, could have put the whole thing to rest, could have put peoples' fears and concerns to sleep, but instead he stomps his feet causing this to remain in the news...

Kuhio

Yep ... Iger be in one ed off mood (and, of course, as usual you can believe every word he says!)

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/disney-bob-iger-magicband-congressman-ed-markey-magicband-privacy/

I had an acquaintance with a legal background read the above article, as well as some of the WDWMagic posts that followed -- the same person whose opinion I solicited when the Brooks Barnes article first came out. Here's what I got (with a few minor edits from me):

It's clear from the way [Iger's] letter was written that it was penned by lawyers. I suspect some senior in-house counsel (though not the guys at the very apex of Disney legal, as those types rarely trouble themselves with actual wordsmithing) worked some very long hours over the weekend to craft the message, and that Iger and the non lawyers vetted it for general substance. Considering how many sets of eyes had to have reviewed the content, however, the fact that the letter still contains grammatical errors speaks rather poorly about the quality of Disney's legal team, and incidentally of [Iger] himself - if something critically important to my company is going out under my name, you can be sure I wouldn't rely primarily on others to catch and fix the nits that might make me look bad.

The tone of the letter - 'We are offended by the ludicrous and utterly ill-informed assertion' - reads precisely like that of a typical brief in opposition to a motion (e.g. to dismiss or for summary judgment). The belligerence doesn't necessarily indicate that the speaker feels he is responding from a position of weakness - it reveals merely that he isn't particularly sophisticated where written advocacy is concerned. The overtly aggressive tone is an effort to seize control of the narrative by casting the other party's stance as deeply flawed - indeed, irrational - in the eyes of the person who will be making the relevant findings and rulings (i.e. the judge). It's very common to see this kind of tone in legal filings, and the fact that Disney's lawyers took such an approach is not surprising ... after years of drafting hostile response briefs, it becomes very difficult to take any other tack. But ultimately, good attorneys resist the temptation to respond in such a fashion, especially if they are confident that the law is on their side. A couple of germane block quotes from binding precedent can instantly deflate an opponent's argument better than any amount of angry bluster can, and truly talented writers know that a more subdued approach is often far more effective when it's exactly on point.

Then again, if you know you're dealing with a judge who's not very astute, then sometimes it's better to go with a more bluntly aggressive approach anyway. In this regard, it's possible that Disney legal consciously chose to employ a hostile tone in responding to Markey, believing that the true audience of the letter - the general public - would more likely be compelled by righteous indignation than by a more restrained approach.

Taylor

Maybe they hate you because instead of acting like everyone does when someone disagrees with you, you guys decide to stomp your feet and refuse to back up what you say
I'm just saying there's been huge fights on this thread all weekend it's has been cleaned up multiple times

PhotoDave219

So how should he of responded? Oh her you go mr. disrespectful congressman, disrespect us, dont do research and we will do whatever you want because we dont want 10 people online to think we are mean.

Something along the lines of ...... "Dear Mr Congressmen, thank you for your interest. We will address all your concerns. I apologize if you felt like you were misinformed about our project and feel that they Times article mischaracerized our innovations. The privacy of children and families are at the heart of business and maintaining their trust is our top priority. We look forward to working with your committee on this".... or some other BS.

Why? Because thats what Corporate CEOs do. Thats what responsible CEOs do. Instead, he antigonizes a member of Congress.

This wont end well.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Yeah and i was not agreeing with you. If you honestly think he came across as a villian or an you are the one who needs help with some reading comprehension. But continue acting like a child it really helps your point.

Just one thing... The way someone came across in written words is in the eye of the beholder. Reading comprehension is what the literal words are saying and understanding. There is a difference, one is opinion.

M.rudolf

74 earlier I asked a question, the reason for asking was to find out what agenda if any do you have? I've read this thread from the beginning and it seems lately that it has been bombarded by trolls and other posters who are definitely out to derail the thread. I have seen posts in this thread about rubes,obese children and people worried about child endangerment. The range of topics here really is astounding.
I've also seen posts by you yourself asking us all not to feed the trolls I truly commend you on that, why I some times wonder if all the rhetoric doesn't sometimes obscure the message. From some of the posts I've seen I wonder if this is a real issue for you or if its just a lightning rod topic to encourage page hits. I just don't see why comments have been made about making the thread bigger than Sotto's.
I also don't understand the need to call guests rubes and to make statements that the majority of guests are overweight. It just makes me wonder are the statements made to feed an ego or are they meant out of genuine concern. I know now I will get posts asking if I'm trolling absolutely not, can I stop reading this thread sure. Again this isn't a personal attack just questions and pondering. A lot of people are following, I know posters believe Disney is watching this, but hpw would they most of the posts are rhetoric, the trolls come in ask some really good questions then they follow it up with idiocy and then we, me included,do the same thing back. I'd just like to see the hard questions answered. It doesn't help the message if its wrapped in venom, like I said a lot of people,have asked good questions but it looks like anytime anyone here challenges you, the questions either go unanswered or they are labeled a troll.

74 earlier I asked a question, the reason for asking was to find out what agenda if any do you have? I've read this thread from the beginning and it seems lately that it has been bombarded by trolls and other posters who are definitely out to derail the thread. I have seen posts in this thread about rubes,obese children and people worried about child endangerment. The range of topics here really is astounding.
I've also seen posts by you yourself asking us all not to feed the trolls I truly commend you on that, why I some times wonder if all the rhetoric doesn't sometimes obscure the message. From some of the posts I've seen I wonder if this is a real issue for you or if its just a lightning rod topic to encourage page hits. I just don't see why comments have been made about making the thread bigger than Sotto's.
I also don't understand the need to call guests rubes and to make statements that the majority of guests are overweight. It just makes me wonder are the statements made to feed an ego or are they meant out of genuine concern. I know now I will get posts asking if I'm trolling absolutely not, can I stop reading this thread sure. Again this isn't a personal attack just questions and pondering. A lot of people are following, I know posters believe Disney is watching this, but hpw would they most of the posts are rhetoric, the trolls come in ask some really good questions then they follow it up with idiocy and then we, me included,do the same thing back. I'd just like to see the hard questions answered. It doesn't help the message if its wrapped in venom, like I said a lot of people,have asked good questions but it looks like anytime anyone here challenges you, the questions either go unanswered or they are labeled a troll.

Very good response

lazyboy97o

Disney likes to call the shots and an agressive letter, like was rightly pointed out in regards to Disney's America, in response is supposed to sound confident and sure, not defensive as though Disney is afraid and may have something to hide. It's a fine line that Disney has yet to master and one that more often than not get's spun to make the Mouse look like a rat. I don't think Disney crossed any line, but I do not think it will play well fr them unless they can find a way to get the story buried. J.J. Abrams directing Star Wars - Episode VII did not seem to do it.

In some ways I think Iger may start to be hitting his own unhinged phase. He's made a reputation for himself as the benevolent savior of Disney. He reconciled with Steve Jobs and then bought Pixar. He bought Marvel and Lucasfilm. Nobody should dare question him.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 you said Disney was probably going to make some sort of announcement this week to get the attention off of this whole fiasco. Is there still going to be one even though you said it wouldn't be big? Thanks

I said it was a possibility. I still think it may be, although I have no idea what it would be.

But anything to get people to stop talking about this subject.

Maybe if they actually had something new and worthy in the parks to discuss then everyone wouldn't be so focused on their datamining trip planning scheme.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just got back from a cruise and a day at the parks and I have a few observations:
1. If you read these forums and haven't been to a park in a while, you would think they are falling apart. They are not. Magic Kingdom and Epcot are looking better than they have in years. The work being done reminds me of the freshening that was done in the 90's.

Everyone has a different opinion of what constitutes 'falling apart' ... MK is looking very good in some areas like MSUSA and Fantasyland. But show quality is a different subject as it largely is abysmal.

And EPCOT certainly looked sadder than I ever seen it for the holidays with a tree they couldn't even keep completely illuminated.

2. MyMagic+ is clearly no where near ready. I think the original press release and discussion was so that they could start operationalizing the platform and figure out which of the sales promises made by the project team will work. This is going to start as nothing more than an expansion of the KTTW cards issued by the resorts for 2013. I've seen many systems migrations and this one is not ready. It needs time to operationalize. I think that is what George will do. 2013 for the whole system is not doable.

You are stating exactly what most of the Ops team has been saying for over a year, but they keep getting shot down by management. The plan, such as it is, is in major flux ... they wanted the whole thing up and running in its entirety by the fourth quarter. I agree with you, I see no way of that happening at all.

3. Had my first DCL last week. And without a doubt, the more Disney can bring a 'cruise' like experience at an efficient cost to the parks the better it will be for both Disney and their guests. ( assuming they continue building and fixing their attractions)

DCL has a GREAT product. Overpriced, but very high caliber. It's why I'll be cruising with them again this year. I'd love it if they brought the DCL quality to WDW. I don't like the cuise line model being placed over the entire resort (minus the quality) which is what MyMagic+ endeavors to do.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Fanboi reaction to Iger's letter:

"This is why Disney is an amazing company. They know how to deal with problems. I trust Disney completely and its a wonder to me why so people don’t. Its like they are out to get the company that has brought us greatness for the past 90 years. Thank You Robert Iger and and Thank You Disney."

(Comment posted on InsideTheMagic)

Troubling no?

No matter how you feel about NextGen, the way Iger responded is nothing to admire. Furthermore, corporations don't deserve unconditional trust.

Exactly, but TWDC has often been said to have 'a cult-like following' and those people honestly view WDW as a religion. You can't tell them they are a worshipping a false god.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom