Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
You honestly think Disney can throw up two or three antennas with a half mile read and trace the path of 50K passive RFID cards in people's pockets? That may be the stupidest thing I've ever read on the Internet. Nevermind that you have your actives and passives mixed up.

Why do you think warehouses that utilize this technology have readers everywhere and not just one beacon in the middle of the room? I'm sure your source probably has a great title, but Christ on a bike, they certainly don't have any grasp of technology.

I already stated in that post QUITE definitively that I am NOT a techie. So, perhaps, I shouldn't have even tried to put out what I believe to be the case. That was not my source's words ... again, go read the post, I can't program the 1980s VCR in my closet.

Moving away, do you really think that Disney spent $2 billion on existing technology in a top-secret project? Or do you think that maybe Disney has sorta 'morphed' the tech that existed and created new? 'cause I do.

dhall

Absitively, posilutely, NOT.

No plans at all. The only plans are for NEXT GEN to start and revolutionize the business model they have in Florida by creating this new revenue stream, which they think they're going to then bring to Anaheim and Paris. It could fail miserably and then all that would happen would be they wasted a few billions of shareholder $$$ and further tarnish the BRAND and then they'd have to spend many billions more to head in a different direction.

No matter what, though. Remember, WDW has never been better. That's what their BRAND ADVOCATES say every day when they get up and what they say at their nightly prayer sessions that probably go something like this 'Please, God/Satan, let this scam continue for as long as I am breathing!'

I have no doubts that this is going to go into Anahiem: but not all of the publicly facing parts. If this goes as badly as you believe (and I agree that the public facing parts of this are fairly likely to be a trainwreck), then someone's going to put together the 'MyMagic+ Lite' plan that puts a passive RFID on every ticket media, hides antennas in the areas that they want to measure, and gets a lot of the operational data mining without the public face.

Paris & China may be more of a problem due to privacy laws in the former and a distinct lack of concern for same in the latter.

scpergj

So...if there is no extra cost to "opt-in"...will I get a discount if I "opt-out?"
I mean, if I'm foregoing all these great enhancements that others are getting for $90, shouldn't I be able to get an old-school ticket and experience for, say...$75?

And how complicated is this going to make things at the ticket window? I'd hate to have to explain all this to someone who has no clue about what's what. Gonna need a chart of some sort. And a slide rule.

Just thinkin' out loud...

Got the slide rule covered. Old school geek here...

baymenxpac

you know, i'm pretty surprised. i guess i shouldn't be, but I am. i'm shocked any one of you with kids is okay with this. this is pretty much one of the most transparently-insidious things a corporation has ever executed. when the real evil does their dirty work, it's usually fairly well concealed. but this? "hey, guys. we're just going to invest $2 billon into gathering information on you. why? well, so you don't have to go and fiddle around with those silly paper tickets, right? I mean...how annoying is THAT!"

seriously, it makes my skin crawl just thinking about it, and it shocks me that anyone doesn't see right through this nonsense. at the very least, it's an incredibly-severe misallocation of funds. at the most, it's data mining you AND YOUR CHILDREN for profit. gross.

SirOinksALot

Already done.

Costuming got it years ago now. Very first tangible part of NEXT GEN.
That predated this.

This whole thing keeps getting funnier and funnier... dates have been in concrete for a long time with this. Your source knew damn well that the NYT article was coming - good chance for the old man puppet to look "ahead of the game."

awoogala

you know, i'm pretty surprised. i guess i shouldn't be, but I am. i'm shocked any one of you with kids is okay with this. this is pretty much one of the most transparently-insidious things a corporation has ever executed. when the real evil does their dirty work, it's usually fairly well concealed. but this? "hey, guys. we're just going to invest $2 billon into gathering information on you. why? well, so you don't have to go and fiddle around with those silly paper tickets, right? I mean...how annoying is THAT!"

seriously, it makes my skin crawl just thinking about it, and it shocks me that anyone doesn't see right through this nonsense. at the very least, it's an incredibly-severe misallocation of funds. at the most, it's data mining you AND YOUR CHILDREN for profit. gross.

yeah, I'm not ok with it, honestly. I don't mind if they datamine me a bit. ( I am a big girl and can walk away from advertising, no matter how subtle).
But you are not getting my kids tracked in a park with something on their body. I don't want anything posting my child's name, or anyone "knowing" my child's name before they greet me. It's creepy, and it sets up a weird familiarity they haven't earned. Completely unsafe.
I do not have a smartphone, and I don't want one. I will now be penalized on fp+ because of this, with barely any chance of fighting for day of fp+, or rearranging my fp+. If I'm lucky, I can fight it out 180 days in advance (and forget about booking on a last minute discount- you won't get any good fp+, or any decent meals)
It all stinks. So glad I leave in 3 days, before this crap is fully implemented. I may just skip a year, hope for Disney to be sued over the privacy of kids, and go back if they ever come to their senses.
The thing that really scares me, is that most kids around here have their own smartphones by 10. So some of this could go directly to the kids phones, bypassing an adult completely. So if MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE gets away with the "it's not a kids site per se" argument, they get direct access to info from and to those phones in the kids hands.
Not too many parents think this stuff through. I have been told I am medieval, since my kids aren't allowed on fb, or to post online, or allowed to have cellphones.
EDIT: Now mind you, a month ago I was ok with the fp+, I could deal. But I am not ok with the tracking, and the no opt out or no fp, and the crazy coppa app allowance that says they can mine my kids.

SirOinksALot

I already stated in that post QUITE definitively that I am NOT a techie. So, perhaps, I shouldn't have even tried to put out what I believe to be the case. That was not my source's words ... again, go read the post, I can't program the 1980s VCR in my closet.

Moving away, do you really think that Disney spent $2 billion on existing technology in a top-secret project? Or do you think that maybe Disney has sorta 'morphed' the tech that existed and created new? 'cause I do.
Existing technology multiplied over tens of millions of people per year gets quite expensive. How many people stay on property per year... a few million? At how many dollars a pop for a bracelet times the lifetime of the project.... hmmm.

disneyflush

There is a certain irony in that some have criticized TDO repeatedly over the last few years for not paying attention to the finer details in upkeep and attraction maintenance while they developed this system to make guests become excruciatingly detail-obsessed with their vacations. 'We aren't so good at it but we are sure millions of you will be.'

WDW1974

Original Poster
There seems to be a few different aspects about what Disney will collect vs. divulge, many of which are still fuzzy.

In order to participate in FP+, you'll need to upgrade your ticket to an RFID device. It has been mentioned by several sources that the wristbands contain active RFID transmitters. I've read conflicting reports about the tickets. Eventually, everyone will need to upgrade their existing tickets. There will be a phase during which both the old and new systems are supported.

It appears onsite guests will be issued wristbands by default. It's unclear if they can request devices without RFID transmitters.

With an active RFID device, Disney should be able to collect whatever information it wants. Where have you been, what did you purchase, which characters did you meet, etc. Disney has stated you'll be able to customize your NextGen experience. Really, this means simply customizing what information is disclosed to front-line CMs. For example, if you don't want them to know your name or birthdate, you should be able to control that. However, this seems to be the only control over the information you'll have. Disney still will collect the information.

It's unclear how much or what type of information Disney might disclose to companies outside the "Disney family of companies". Yes, I know they have privacy policies but I also am aware how these can be circumvented. It should be expected that there will be full disclosure within the "Disney family". It's also possible Disney could disclose general patterns in order to, for example, seek sponsorship at the parks.

Fundamentally, Disney will want to use this information to maximize revenue and profit margins. It's what NextGen is all about. Any thought that they won't is simply ignoring the business realities they face. The warnings issued during the 2012 financial conference call and announced reactionary layoffs suggest a management team that, frankly, is panicking. Their numbers are heading in the wrong direction and they don't like what they see in the future.

Corrections would be appreciated.

I don't think they even have the basics covered. Did you see the disheveled Nick Franklin (no coat and tie, really?) trying to bluff his way through a media briefing today with what appeared to be simply local media in O-Town. Again, interesting timing. ... I'm sure we all have Tom 'Soon to be a WDW CM?' Corless to thank by his leaking of proprietary information and forcing Disney's hands. Yeah, makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? When did we put this out there here?

I was just talking to a friend about this and the whole AP question came up. That wasn't answered by either man today despite what you may think. APers are going to get bands. It doesn't say whether they have to be purchased. It doesn't say whether one is good for an entire year or whether you have to get them daily or by visit (let's say week for argument's sake). ... So many questions. ... Like by staying at the Rosen Shingle Creek instead of the WL do I get the same number of FPs? Is my access to attractions tiered by where I am staying and my spending patterns and the size ... of my party that is?

Mr. Franklin sure didn't have many more answers than Tom Staggs did (and he had a team working on that blog post that he put his name to).

WDW1974

Original Poster
"Rather than having to constantly dig through their pockets for this piece of paper, or that piece of paper or this card or that card," said Disney spokesman Nick Franklin. "It's all very simply right on their wrists and every family member can have one."

As for concerns the new system is a little too "big brother" Disney said the wristbands will track guests' preferences and purchases, giving the theme park company a better idea of what resonates well with parkgoers, but they said the focus is on improving the guest experience and all of the data is secured.

"All the information itself is secured in very secure data services with full encryption and all the things you would want for your personal data," said Franklin.

Yep, how enlightening? ... Or not.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am throwing down the gauntlet! I make an apple pie that will, without doubt, blow the Mom's pie out of the water! Consider yourself served Mom, there is a new pie baker in town!

And you like pie you say??? Cream pies, fruit pies, fried pies....you name it, I am the pie guy! :p

What are your three best pies and then I'll determine the supplier ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
So...if there is no extra cost to "opt-in"...will I get a discount if I "opt-out?"
I mean, if I'm foregoing all these great enhancements that others are getting for $90, shouldn't I be able to get an old-school ticket and experience for, say...$75?

And how complicated is this going to make things at the ticket window? I'd hate to have to explain all this to someone who has no clue about what's what. Gonna need a chart of some sort. And a slide rule.

Just thinkin' out loud...

Just forget about the whole terminology of opt-in or opt-out as you'll be part of NEXT GEN if you wish to visit a WDW park/resort. That is the plan. That is the bottom line.

They are not going to have a $7.83 an hour CM at the TTC ticket booths trying to explain to a family from Boston or Bolivia the implications of RFID tracking and explaining getting a ticket with an RFID, a ticket with no RFID or a bracelet etc ... do you know how long those lines would be? Every transaction at a window would be like 20 minutes or more just to go over the basics.

Disney is saying what it needs to say right now ... with the idea it won't matter by the time the entire system is up and running. They will make the idea of opting out such a hassle and so repugnant an experience that it will not be an issue. It's kind of like when you rent a car at the kisok and get a 33-page legal contract that comes up. Now, are you going to read that? No. But you have no choice but accept that document and all its legal crap unless you're planning on walking. So you do.

Think of that analogy and compare it to WDW and its new program. Disney, for PR sake, wants you to think you have a choice. But you don't. Mickey's got you by the balls and he's squeezing. Hard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom