Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

BigThunderMatt

Read through this and the MagicBand thread sporadically over the past few days. All the conspiracy theories aside that Disney is trying to ruin each guest's ability to enjoy the parks all in the name of trying to make more money, the more 'official' and non-official stuff I've read thus far shows potential great promise to this whole thing.

33015267.jpg

crispy

I think that is an assumption by the fans and why there is so much angst. Operating costs for ongoing upkeep really aren't competing with decisions on long-term capital investments. The issues with upkeep and show standards are operational decisions and strategy at those levels. Decisions around upkeep and overhead are things typically looked at in terms of percentages and modeled on what your targeted PnL ranges are. You don't go 'well, we can decide to hire three more maintenance workers, and order 2 more weeks worth of parts... or invest in NextGen'. It doesn't work that way. There are different 'colors' of money in organizations like this.. and capital expense is handled very differently than operational expenses and budgeting.

I was talking about capital investment, not maintenance budgets. It seems that every new project except FLE has been on hold while NextGen has been in development. Even announced projects have quietly disappeared while Downtown Disney, AK, and DHS have been left to stagnate.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was talking about capital investment, not maintenance budgets. It seems that every new project except FLE has been on hold while NextGen has been in development. Even announced projects have quietly disappeared while Downtown Disney, AK, and DHS have been left to stagnate.

I find that hard to pin on NextGen.. when the problem existed prior to NextGen as well.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I find it astounding, yet oh so typical that a company making record profits decides in an alleged recovery from the greatest financial collapse of the modern era that it needs to be even more streamlined (i.e. make more money) at the cost of thousands of jobs across pretty much every business unit (ESPN is likely safest).

I recall telling folks here that people were talking about P&R layoffs at WDW if numbers didn't improve over the fall/holidays in the future, but I have to admit I never thought they'd come out and just say 'we're taking 10% off the top' ... how greedy, how grotesque.

I am sure the people at Pixar, Marvel and Lucas all feel so much better that they're part of Disney's empire, and therefore expendable now.

And as for good old, stale, neglected, crumbling, open attractions that are already in poor show shape WDW, well I was told that WDW would need to hire a large number of new CMs to literally stand at attraction queues and FP+ distribution points and explain this bold new world (that not very many here see) of reinventing the Disney theme parks.

Instead, it looks like things will indeed get worse (seeing George K with Voldemort probably should have tipped me off ... I guess they were talking about how many $7.85 an hour jobs Disney could cut) in the swampland. Can they get the Poly DVC off the ground quick enough? The FW one?

And to hear this morning's CNBC coverage make a direct correlation between the NEXT GEN technology, referencing Magic Bracelets at WDW and a reduction in the workforce ... the anchors were looking for answers to 'how can Disney creatively save money?' I did like the answer they wrapped the 10 a.m. hour with: ''Making Disney The Moderately Happy Kingdom instead of the Happiest Place on Earth'' that came in via the Twitverse.

I truly give my sympathies to whomever is going to replace Bob Iger in the next few years. He/she is gonna have to have a miracle to bring this company back to where it was even in 2000, forget any of the golden eras.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh and nice to see the Brooks-Bruce connection in the NY Times working it for Disney again.

It's not like there's anything more than a professional working relationship there.:D

flynnibus

Premium Member
You're asking for precisely what you know can't be given

[...]

BTW ... did you really ask for citations and the author's position? Really, did I read that and just edit it out!
Someone should forfeit their job and harm their career greatly to quench your (and others) desire to know where this came from?

When reading any article or paper - the assertions and claims must be substantiated, not just taken for granted because it's published by author ABC or in publication XYZ. So its all about establishing credibility in what is being stated. I'm confused still on what someone would write as a critique of the company, yet not intend for it to be read. Unless it's written by someone internally to the company, trying to describe the company, while distancing themselves from the actions (hence the use of 'Disney' instead of 'we', etc).

Maybe since you have more knowledge of the source you can take things at face value - but as a second hand reader the article really doesn't sound convincing at all.

Ah, a desk job that allows you to spend plenty of quality time in MAGICal realms!

Yes, decades of hard work have resulted in me being able to chose my own line of work :)

Well, neither am I. I'm also quite pragmatic

I appreciate that - but normally your words come across with more credence and credibility given the context and surrounding info. That just didn't ring true in the excerpt provided.

menamechris

Dear Mr. Staggs, I am assuming your announcement is not getting the overwhelming positive feedback you expected. Perhaps now would be a good time to address some exciting expansion plans for WDW. There is so much that I am sure has been planned for and decided on (Downtown Disney, Hollywood Studios makeover, Frontierland revamp, Avatar, etc.). Surely, this isn't the only project you and your team have been truly focused on all these years.... Oh, it has?

WDW1974

Original Poster
4. Will you have to use 'MyMagic+'?
- No. The system is opt in, and is not required. However, if you do not use 'MyMagic+' you will not be able to use FASTPASS+.

5. Will Annual Passholders be able to use 'MyMagic+'?
Yes, Disney has said that they will be contacting Annual Passholders to provide them with a MagicBand to take part in the program.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
4. Will you have to use 'MyMagic+'?
- No. The system is opt in, and is not required. However, if you do not use 'MyMagic+' you will not be able to use FASTPASS+.

5. Will Annual Passholders be able to use 'MyMagic+'?
Yes, Disney has said that they will be contacting Annual Passholders to provide them with a MagicBand to take part in the program.

And if you can't use FP+, what are the odds of getting a ride on the most popular attractions?

alphac2005

I find it astounding, yet oh so typical that a company making record profits decides in an alleged recovery from the greatest financial collapse of the modern era that it needs to be even more streamlined (i.e. make more money) at the cost of thousands of jobs across pretty much every business unit (ESPN is likely safest).

I recall telling folks here that people were talking about P&R layoffs at WDW if numbers didn't improve over the fall/holidays in the future, but I have to admit I never thought they'd come out and just say 'we're taking 10% off the top' ... how greedy, how grotesque.

I am sure the people at Pixar, Marvel and Lucas all feel so much better that they're part of Disney's empire, and therefore expendable now.

And as for good old, stale, neglected, crumbling, open attractions that are already in poor show shape WDW, well I was told that WDW would need to hire a large number of new CMs to literally stand at attraction queues and FP+ distribution points and explain this bold new world (that not very many here see) of reinventing the Disney theme parks.

Instead, it looks like things will indeed get worse (seeing George K with Voldemort probably should have tipped me off ... I guess they were talking about how many $7.85 an hour jobs Disney could cut) in the swampland. Can they get the Poly DVC off the ground quick enough? The FW one?

And to hear this morning's CNBC coverage make a direct correlation between the NEXT GEN technology, referencing Magic Bracelets at WDW and a reduction in the workforce ... the anchors were looking for answers to 'how can Disney creatively save money?' I did like the answer they wrapped the 10 a.m. hour with: ''Making Disney The Moderately Happy Kingdom instead of the Happiest Place on Earth'' that came in via the Twitverse.

I truly give my sympathies to whomever is going to replace Bob Iger in the next few years. He/she is gonna have to have a miracle to bring this company back to where it was even in 2000, forget any of the golden eras.

Hm, this clearly plays along with your ongoing notion that things will get worse before they get better.... If they even do. Iger's successor certainly won't have many large properties to buy-out and shoehorn into the company because he's done quite the job in acquiring those already. They've turned into a giant, lurching corporation. It's actually humorous that a corporate behemoth like Comcast can actually make things happen in terms of the parks rapidly developing and investing. Then again, Steve Burke knew how there was another era in which Disney invested heavily, put forth a quality product, and the company had a darn healthy cash flow. Shocking virtually all, instead of divesting their interest, they now control it all and are plowing cash into the Universal park properties, as you know, and well, what a shock, they see they can make a fortune and have a quality product..... Here's another one: The fan base was terrified of Comcast buying Disney and ruining the company. Maybe that was misguided....

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, let's review the last few days.

1.) a CM memo goes out and NO ONE places it online;
2.) a Spirited source allows me to place info online damaging to NEXT GEN;
3.) a Disney online who is interviewing with Disney for a position puts up said proprietary company info on his web site and doesn't Tweet or take credit for it, just lets it spread;
4.) Bruce Vaughn's very good 'friend' Brooks Barnes has a piece in today's NY Times on these MAGICal new times in the swamps;
5.) Disney announces that they may cut up to 10% of their workforce across the board.
6.) Disney suddenly puts out a Blog post on the new datamining operation that seems to attempt to point by point (very poorly, I might add) address some issues brought up here.

Very interesting times we're living in ... and I think the fun has only begun.

Now, I want to eat ... so enjoy your afternoons.

SirLink

Surely if they even try that John, Ike and George will begin talking to the BoD sooner on replacement of the 3 Amigos ... wait they were good ... 3 Pigs then!

I must say as much as I want Spirited Change I somehow feel we are talking now in decades instead of years ... dear Spirit ...

Pentacat

Won't some of the guest "benefits" of FP+ also spill over onto employees? Won't WDW management be able to use this system to super micro manage the CMs as well? As soon as the entire site can be mapped out in terms of guest movement then they should be able to reduce staff in sparsely populated areas accordingly. Or know that drone 232 takes 30 minutes longer to sweep the same area as drone 563. Sorry drone 232....you'll be missed (not really, drone 7765 is coming along nicely.)

I'm late to the thread so here's my many thoughts in random fashion.

This could be an amazing system and really could make some things in the parks very special. But that would only be true IF I trusted WDW management to use this system to actually benefit the guest OR improve the experience. Given the quality downturn of the last 15 years I have absolutely ZERO faith that they will use this system for anything other than squeezing blood from a stone with the thin veil of guest benefit. And even if it does end up providing DIRECT benefit to the guest it will not be proportional to what $2 billion spent on attractions or entertainment would have brought.

This should prove to be popular; this is in some ways the Disney fan community's own fault. The websites, forums, blogs and books dedicated to uber tour planning and "gaming" Disney's system have finally awoken the giant. TWDC has seen this trend and thinks that all of us want to plan out the minutia of our vacations months in advance. I respect those of you that enjoy this type of vacationing but it's like being locked in a closet for me.

This all feels like WDW really wants to be UPS. We are all just packages to be sorted in some kind of logical fashion. They will tag us all just like packages and find ways to "encourage" us to be spread evenly an efficiently across their vast Kingdom.

Does anyone know if the technical/data management side of this is all being managed in-house or has Disney contracted someone to design the back end? I've been unable to find an answer and I'm really curious because I've been involved in some projects like this in the past. I have to think that a large portion of that $2 billion figure has to be the cost paid to outside developers since I just don't see Disney hiring the talent required to make this thing work.

On a personal note I doubt that I will be able to return to WDW in a post FP+ world. I personally have no issues with the tracking aspects of this system (I would prefer it not exist) but my significant other...if she finds out the details of this system before she books our next trip then there will be NO next trip to WDW. She takes personal privacy and data collection very seriously and this would be an absolute no go for her.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Not exactly. Folks working in the Presidio and E-Ville are much safer than their counterparts in Burbank, because they're non-union. You will definitely see layoffs happen first in the SoCal unionized shops than up here in the Bay Area.

Actually, I won't feel sympathy for any exec walking into this mess because it'll probably be an insider like Staggs.

Staggs fully well knows what's going on and tacitly accepts the Disney Perfunctory Path to Profits™ just by being the head of P&R, so why feel sorry for the guy? He's part of the problem!

As for a miracle to bring the company back to its former glory? Forget it. That kind of Disney Dark Magic™ doesn't really exist.

Spending over a billion dollars on the NextGEN TragicBand technology in an effort to keep guests on property and not spend their vacation dollars at Potter or Antarctica pretty much tips their hand about the perceived future of WDW if not P&R as a whole. They can't win on the park and resort innovation front, so they've opted for financial coercion and emotional hostage taking instead. In other words... they've given up.

It's painfully obvious that Disney would rather distract you with cheap shiny objects and shallow Princess flattery instead of ignite your imagination with unique experiences that knock your socks off. The Disney Theme Park Legacy has just been tossed in the recycling bin for other companies like Uni and SW to pick up and refurbish.

Hmm. Makes me wonder what kind of Disney Demolition Derby™ awaits Imagineering. If the old "innovate to captivate" mantra is out regarding future lands and attractions... then why keep those high profile, extremely well-paid senior WDI execs around? Forced early retirements = big savings right there! The old school Imagineers just became that much more "high maintenance" and far more distasteful, as a result.

Pentacat

NextGen is not like 'adding a new attraction for 2013..' - NextGen is an attempt to fundamentally change the theme park experience for EVERYTHING for the decade+ to come. It's an investment in the platform the park experience is built upon.

Those new attractions will come.. just as they always have. But NextGen is something different - it's something that brings value to not just one thing, but all things. It's like getting an extra 10% on everything.. vs just one new thing. Stop thinking 'now' and start thinking long term and recognize how this isn't just one thing, but something that applies across the board.

You are looking at it with such a narrow window of time - that's why it doesn't resonate with you. Think of all the money Disney spent implementing Fastpass. A decade later, do you really wish you would have gotten that one attraction instead... or do you appreciate the dozens of attractions that you can access easier with Fastpass, every visit, every time, for many years since?

Yours is a message of hope.

Trouble is if this is going to be such a paradigm shift in Theme Park Experience then why is launching as basically a ride/dining reservation system? If WDW, as you propose, is looking at this as ushering a whole new experience then where is this new experience? There are no references to NEW attractions or NEW experiences just NEW ways to do the same old stuff.

And before you hit the reply button I understand that in order to build the experience you have to have then infrastructure first. But it takes Disney YEARS to design, plan and build a new attraction so even if this system were something more than just a glorified planning/reservation tool it will be YEARS before the attraction benefits that you are talking about come about. This system has been in development long enough that they could have had some great visionary use for this ready to go at launch.

And honestly, Fastpass has never been a huge benefit in my eyes and I have never really taken advantage of it except on rare occasions.

Pentacat

Spending over a billion dollars on the NextGEN TragicBand technology in an effort to keep guests on property and not spend their vacation dollars at Potter or Antarctica pretty much tips their hand about the perceived future of WDW if not P&R as a whole. They can't win on the park and resort innovation front, so they've opted for financial coercion and emotional hostage taking instead. In other words... they've given up.

It's painfully obvious that Disney would rather distract you with cheap shiny objects and shallow Princess flattery instead of ignite your imagination with unique experiences that knock your socks off. The Disney Theme Park Legacy has just been tossed in the recycling bin for other companies like Uni and SW to pick up and refurbish.

Wow...that is freaking bleak. Don't forget that TWDC seems far more interested in chasing the new money by heavily investing in Asia.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Trouble is if this is going to be such a paradigm shift in Theme Park Experience then why is launching as basically a ride/dining reservation system? If WDW, as you propose, is looking at this as ushering a whole new experience then where is this new experience? There are no references to NEW attractions or NEW experiences just NEW ways to do the same old stuff.

Sure there are - people just keep picking on the flavor of the day vs looking at the whole thing. Example, the personalization options. Attractions or characters being able to interact with you in new ways is just one example they will roll out with this new platform that they have announced.

And 'experience' doesn't mean just 'attractions'. Experience includes HOW you vacation, what you get out of it, etc. The idea of virtual queuing is not about a new attraction, but changing your experience during your visit. Same with charge systems, etc.

No one is going around clambering 'DAMN!!! I wish Disney still used physical keys for all their hotel rooms!' - or I bet you would be put off if during check-in, you were forced to fill out by hand all types of paperwork of information you've already provided previously. These are examples of systems that alter the experience of vacationing at WDW. If successful, they ultimately alter your baseline expectation of services and entertainment. Then, when others can not match those new baselines... a gap is perceived by the guest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom