Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Goofyernmost

The hardware side of this is going to be mostly off the shelf stuff - there is no value in Disney trying to sell that stuff because all the value is in the 'connecting tissue' which is the software of the system. Such complex systems are modular, but always built to a customer. This is heavy duty IT consulting work - something that even Disney is unlikely doing themselves. Disney may own the IP as the work is being done for them, but Disney wouldn't have the resources or capabilities to repackage it, sell, and redesign it for other customers. It's so far out of Disney's core competency it makes no sense what so ever to believe they would be in that game.

Now where it it would be feasible - is for Disney to license the work back to the IT firm who is doing the core software work for them, so the IT company can then in turn sell to new customers and pay Disney royalties. While this is feasible - I don't see it happening. There is just so little to gain from Disney selling this IP vs holding the IP as it's own competitive edge. Imagine Disney licenses the technology.. and scores 500,000 in royalties from Accenture selling to two new clients each year. Compare that to trying to increase revenue of WDW just 1% from advantages of NextGen. Domestic Park revenues were 10.3 BILLION last year. Even nudging that number a small percentage is so much more valuable than possible software royalties that if taken would actually weaken your own investment.
Agree, but what if you can do both? As I said, this is pure speculation for all of us, but I see this as how they have their cake and eat it too. It all remains to be seen, but that's how I see it. Bare in mind though that if I were that smart, I'd be filthy rich instead of just incredibly good looking.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Agree, but what if you can do both? As I said, this is pure speculation for all of us, but I see this as how they have their cake and eat it too. It all remains to be seen, but that's how I see it. Bare in mind though that if I were that smart, I'd be filthy rich instead of just incredibly good looking.

:)

Well let's draw some comparisons...

Look at Disney's Biometric system.. have they resold that to other interested ticketed admission places?
Or how about Disney's virtual queuing (which they have patented parts of)

Disney is a very possessive company. There just seems to be more negatives then positives, it doesn't align with their competencies, and doesn't fit their culture or historical patterns. That's what I base my conclusions on. YMMV :)

awoogala

You don't resell what makes you unique
Disney has already consulted with the government on their biometric techniques. I don't know all the applications, but I doubt they would patent it and spend 1.5 billion unless they are planning on selling the tech, or selling it as an educational source for corporations willing to shell out for the Disney knowledge on how to combine tech like this. Disney institute, anyone?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Can't help but believe/know that Tom Staggs' post for The Disney Parks Blog was put together on the fly ... like they had NO intention of putting something out today (that Disney Lifestyle guy who leaked this should be in lots of trouble ... well, unless that was a test for his employment and we'll know that soon enough) ... typos in a post that was likely gone over by multiple lawyers, Staggs, Rasulo and maybe Iger himself?

What did I find strange or scary? The photos of people using the wristbands (almost used armbands, but that might conjure images of an ugly time in history or some Orwellian society) wasn't so bad, but exactly what are the CMs reading on their little hand-held toys as the folks pass the green-lighted Mickey head? What data do they see? Why are they even there and needed?

But also strange that for the first time ever (to my knowledge), Staggs answered a few questions and the bowed out ... and no one from social media took over to answer (and, let's face it, all the negative stuff was already deleted at Celebration Place ... way to go Cabal!) and finally Thomas Smith came in at 6:07 and answered one question and disappeared. I bet they are all at the Ale House having drinks with Crazy Gary's dragon.

awoogala

Unfortunately referencing Junior as 'little Johnny Doe' doesn't necessarily get them around the problem. Simply the act of linking him to his mother's account is considered personally identifiable information. As far as controlling multiple members of a party through one account, each of those members must be identified, so the information is still being tracked as a separate entity in the database. Really the only option is for Mom, Dad and Junior to be required to use the kiosk, but can you imagine the nightmare for CMs trying to explain why they can't use their app when everyone else can just because they opted out?
and how many of the average guest, when faced with this dilemma, will just opt-in, because it's "just disney"?

WDW1974

Original Poster
wow, its almost like a Pandora's Box. Forget the Avatar project, they've got their own Pandora coming already.

Absolutely, Chris.

And for a media giant, they seem so ill-equipped to handle basic questions about anything.

I swear it's almost like they'll give you 2,000 words without even answering a yes/no question.:D (if I had my wavey smile handy, I'd be waving right now ... so just imagine it!)

Today, will not go down as one of the better days of Bob Iger's tenure as head of the WDC.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
What did I find strange or scary? The photos of people using the wristbands (almost used armbands, but that might conjure images of an ugly time in history or some Orwellian society) wasn't so bad, but exactly what are the CMs reading on their little hand-held toys as the folks pass the green-lighted Mickey head? What data do they see? Why are they even there and needed?

As I understand it [read it somewhere, but can't remember where], the handheld the CMs have register that you've used a valid admission ticket/pass and/or displays what errors may come up, invalid pass, finger scan doesn't match [or in my case - finger scan not required], etc... Similar to the read-out currently displayed facing the CMs at turnstiles.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Yes. It was the last thing I read last night, but didn't feel like logging back in and dropping it.

It appears that Zenia Mucha is using her black magic yet again! :rolleyes:

Nah, it's just that Brucie likes Brooksie and vice versa ... you know just like a couple of fanbois who are ... friends!
The evil Zenia has nothing to do with that. But she is scary ... sorta like Cora on the Gay Lost.

Skibum1970

It definitely seems that they're trying to get ahead of the bad press but only made things look more murky. Right now, I would think that the big investors are already sharpening their pens for the Q4 earnings release. Questions are coming with regards to ROI expectations for Next Gen and how soon that ROI will happen.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit, I know you've said things are going to get worse before they get better. I'm really discouraged and I do not see anything getting better anytime soon. When will things start to get better? When someone gets injured or killed by a falling rock or tree branch? When someone gets trampled to death in a crowd? When will this big Spirited change come?

That is the billion dollar ... maybe multi-billion dollar question and so much depends on variables. How much fans let Disney get away with. How much pushback is there over NEXT GEN (you know there are lawyers champing at the bit -- yes, correct useage before anyone corrects me -- to sue Disney over privacy/COPPA issues). How much change there is at the P&R exec level (this year will see some major movement, but will much-needed new blood come in or will it be the same vampires). I'm not trying to avoid the question, but much like the plans for the Studios, there are sooooo many variables here.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974, does Disney have a strategy for the possibility of NextGen failing upon implementation? I'm talking guests pitching fits at the front entrance or refusing to use it (or failing to figure it out as many do with FastPass), press grabbing hold of the privacy concerns and making national news out of it, terrible reviews on TripAdvisor/other travel sites, cast/in-park management complaints, etc. I know of many cast members at multiple levels that view this project with great skepticism, with some even expecting it to downright fail, and I just wonder if Disney is prepared for the possibility of losing all of their investment in this project for nothing. Would they possibly be willing to back away completely or are they prepared for a long haul of forcing this on an unwilling public?

Absitively, posilutely, NOT.

No plans at all. The only plans are for NEXT GEN to start and revolutionize the business model they have in Florida by creating this new revenue stream, which they think they're going to then bring to Anaheim and Paris. It could fail miserably and then all that would happen would be they wasted a few billions of shareholder $$$ and further tarnish the BRAND and then they'd have to spend many billions more to head in a different direction.

No matter what, though. Remember, WDW has never been better. That's what their BRAND ADVOCATES say every day when they get up and what they say at their nightly prayer sessions that probably go something like this 'Please, God/Satan, let this scam continue for as long as I am breathing!'

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Absitively, posilutely, NOT.

No plans at all. The only plans are for NEXT GEN to start and revolutionize the business model they have in Florida by creating this new revenue stream, which they think they're going to then bring to Anaheim and Paris. It could fail miserably and then all that would happen would be they wasted a few billions of shareholder $$$ and further tarnish the BRAND and then they'd have to spend many billions more to head in a different direction.

No matter what, though. Remember, WDW has never been better. That's what their BRAND ADVOCATES say every day when they get up and what they say at their nightly prayer sessions that probably go something like this 'Please, God/Satan, let this scam continue for as long as I am drawing a paycheck!'

Fixed that for you. :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
What I did find to be interesting out of The Times article and a few parts that the PR machine from the Mouse I'm sure isn't thrilled about are the two main takeaways from the piece: 1) This is an intrusive system that has privacy concerns and a creepy Orwellian feel (Not debating that here, just stating the general tone) 2) The system was devised for one and only one reason, raising revenue. NextGen+ is not really about the guest, rather increasing revenue per guest at Walt Disney World.[/quotes]

Yes. I give Brooks credit for getting that up pretty high in the story. There's a common feeling that is taught in journalism school that if you don't hook someone by the fourth or fifth paragraph, they'll stop reading. I had an elder statesman teach me, the hook needed to come in the first two sentences!

The story had some balance, but in the end, the conclusion that Brooks leads you to is this is a good thing.

What I found to be interesting is that Staggs was quite clear about the true reason, profit. Of course, he's going to state that to show investors what a staggering sum for implementation of this technology is actually for and to give them a clear message that the return on investment will be quite positive for the company. With that being said, it makes the sales pitch of this being done to make a trip more enjoyable and "easier" for the guest more laughable and insulting to your intelligence. The little nugget about collecting the bands and special edition bands is something, too. Don't worry about the actual product and all the deficiencies at the resort, rather appeal to the inner hoarder and selling merchandise.

Oh c'mon, why would you ever suggest many Disney fans are hoarders (I mean, you weren't at my palatial estate this weekend when I found 10 guidemaps from my 2009 trip to DLP ... and please for the love of Duffy don't ask how many I threw away!):eek:

But, yes, part of the business plan as these bands as the next pins, the next vinyls etc. Something for Disney to sell and bling out and make you want new and different ones each trip.

SirOinksALot

The technology that has been cited, and I'm sure there are enough techie's here to go round and round, established a benchmark of no less than approximately a five football field radius this has been sufficient to move forward with the passive element of NEXT GEN. I believe people are being confused by Disney's application of both an active and a passive element. An example: you make a purchase -- that is active, meaning limited range. Walking by a window at Chester and Hester's and stopping to look at the window display is passive. But Disney gets the data from both.

You honestly think Disney can throw up two or three antennas with a half mile read and trace the path of 50K passive RFID cards in people's pockets?

Why do you think warehouses that utilize this technology have readers everywhere and not just one beacon in the middle of the room? I'm sure your source probably has a great title, but they certainly don't have any grasp of technology.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is what I've been saying all along and people aren't grasping...

NextGen is an attempt to side step the tit for tat attraction race. Its an attempt at differentiating the park experience in a way that your competition can't easily replicate. It's not that Disney won't build more attractions in the future - but it's a way of getting out of a simplistic race no one wins.

You like tech. We get it. People can understand where you are coming from and still ... well, think you're off-base.

Disney would rather spend on tech (that hopefully will more reliable than Tron Track), while UNI and SW opt to spend on REAL cutting edge attractions. Disney is going to war, but they're using a different weapon. The problem is there's no rational reason to believe that weapon will harm the competition and protect Disney's market share.

As to building new attractions, Disney takes forever to build minor attractions these days and hasn't shown in Florida the capability of building top tier attractions this century.

So, again, flynn ... where you see no one winning a traditional park race, I see Disney losing by trying to reinvent the game.

This is New Coke. I'm not drinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom