Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

OFTeric

From a UK perspective...

At the moment, we stay on-site, so Disney will be able...
...I'll say this, on a UK WDW site that I am also on - NextGen/MyMagic+ seems to be going over as well on there as it is here!

But you are being replaced with Brazilians and Columbians. Orlando is going to see a 4% increase in 2013 in international visitors.

djlaosc

But you are being replaced with Brazilians and Columbians. Orlando is going to see a 4% increase in 2013 in international visitors.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking (and nearly wrote) - yes, there's probably going to be a drop in UK visitors this year and next, but Disney is not going to care one bit... unfortunately.

ParentsOf4

When asked about international attendance at TWDC's 2012 earnings conference call, Jay Rasulo said:
Yes, I'll tell you that I've talked for a long time about that range being, like, 18% to 22%, 23%. And in this quarter, at World, they were up at the high end of that range. They had a very strong fourth quarter relative to international attendance. Fundamentally driven by Brazil and Argentina, but even the UK, which is, of course, one of our other big markets, was up for the fourth quarter.
In 2012, "Walt Disney World attendance was down modestly", probably 1-to-3% but this number was propped up by significant attendance increases from Brazil and Argentina. Overall, domestic attendance was down considerably more than 1-to-3%.

Genie of the Lamp

Extremely sad to see Mr. Tony Baxter retire:(. He was such a great imagineer and inspiration for me that at times would persuade me to become an imagineer (now here in college at Pittsburgh I have an aspiration to become a Hospitality Manager somewhere in the O-Town area). My favorite project he took command of here at WDW was Splash Mountain as that is my favorite WDW attraction, but not the best. He will be forever missed and wish him the very best with life outside of WDI. To go a little off topic here:

Has anyone spotted Iger/Staggs/Meg/Georgie anywhere today? I wonder if they went at all to check out their O-Town competition at all yet.

tomman710

"Ah, now eventually you do plan to have happy news in your, in your happiest place on Earth, right? Hello?" Ian Malcom's reaction to Tony Baxter news this week.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This time next year, Tony Baxter Executive VP, Universal Creative.

I don't believe that would ever happen, but if I were them and wanted to show how serious they are about the theme park business, I'd offer him the type of money no one can say no to.

Disney has treated him like utter garbage over the last 15 years, albeit while paying him the kind of salary that most anyone here would kill for.

Imagine Tony Baxter being the public face of Potter at UNI-Hollywood ... or going over the master plan for the parks in Korea and Russia? All the while, Disney has those awesome MAGICBands for you.

BTW, social media points to entertain: with George in FL and Tony consulting at most, what is Al Lutz going to do for top sources? And Ricky Brigante is apparently going to take credit for knowing what is now going down with Tony ... I guess he just didn't feel it was worth mentioning since the fall (unlike other Spirits).

asianway

I don't believe that would ever happen, but if I were them and wanted to show how serious they are about the theme park business, I'd offer him the type of money no one can say no to.

Disney has treated him like utter garbage over the last 15 years, albeit while paying him the kind of salary that most anyone here would kill for.

Imagine Tony Baxter being the public face of Potter at UNI-Hollywood ... or going over the master plan for the parks in Korea and Russia? All the while, Disney has those awesome MAGICBands for you.

BTW, social media points to entertain: with George in FL and Tony consulting at most, what is Al Lutz going to do for top sources? And Ricky Brigante is apparently going to take credit for knowing what is now going down with Tony ... I guess he just didn't feel it was worth mentioning since the fall (unlike other Spirits).
Wdwmagic - the place where everyone in the twitterverse loves to pee & moan about, but also strip mine for blog content.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, the question is what kind of day is February 1st going to be in the Disney UNIverse?

We have the first 'official' day on the job for George Kalogridis as WDW Prez (one wonders why he hasn't been seen the past few days) and Michael Colglazier at the DLR.

Over and under on The Disney Parks Blog having some PR up tomorrow?

And we have Tony Baxter 'retiring' but not quite at WDI, just the latest in a long line of talent to be diminished and/or sent packing while, at the same time, Disney's product has fallen from the ranks of the untouchable.

Oh, then there's that pesky Congressman and the privacy concerns relating to NEXT GEN.

I am not a fan of January. In fact, if it wasn't for August's weather in FL it would be my least favorite month of the year. But I am thinking February is going to be lots of fun ... lots!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is there any truth to a rumor I read elsewhere that Disney's websites, and reservation systems crashed today, or yesterday?

I don't know if you've gotten an answer yet and I don't know ... so I am of no help at all here ... except for my charm, good looks, and sense of humour!:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
See... Twitter does have value. Even to you now :p

You have no idea how much it entertains me to read people either ripping me or this site because it means that we both are of consequence or those folks have no lives whatsoever -- or both (which is more how I view things), so perhaps you are right.

But I'd like to think of Twitter as more of a trainwreck that you just can't stop looking at ...

The sad thing is some of those folks could add something to discussions here, but would rather talk to an echo chamber. But that's an argument I have made far too many times and my pasta is almost ready ... (do we have a fat Spirit eating smiley?)

Lee

Adventurer
(do we have a fat Spirit eating smiley?)
Kinda...
image.jpg

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is this the spirited news that @WDW1974 said would be announced to make us stop talking about the "lovely" MyMagic+ ;)

Honestly, while I thought that Tony might be making an announcement to coincide with his B-Day that isn't what I was referring to, but whatever makes you look good to the fanboi brigade, right?;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wdwmagic - the place where everyone in the twitterverse loves to pee & moan about, but also strip mine for blog content.

There's something to be said about knowing that things that are written here get read in important places (no, not talking Celebration Place, sorry guys!) like newsrooms, on Congressional aides' iPads, in exec suites, by folks from one end of the spectrum of Disney and UNI and the industry to the other. Maybe Flynn isn't totally wrong about technology. ... Note: I said 'totally'.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ya know, Its kinda good to be back..... It really is amazing how serious people take WDW especially now in the days of twitter. I've met all types down here in the past year. Some of them take themselves really seriously. They love to play the "look at what exclusive thing I am doing." Makes ma laugh.

You do know they are all going to fight to be the first ones to take pics and blog about the new-fangled Tangled restrooms? ... And they don't even think that maybe they should see a mental healthcare professional.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just another note on Tony, but a friend reminded me today that Tony is just 2 1/2 years shy of being with TWDC for 50 years. That is quite an accomplishment and something that VERY few people can say or even come close.

You know (well, I sorta do) that he hasn't been happy with his treatment and the scraps he's been given (a meet-greet-and-grope makeover of Carnation Plaza Gardens while a new resort sprouts up in Shanghai, work is needed on his baby in Paris and right across the esplanade DCA awaits its alleged Phase II ... and let's not forget what they did to his Imagination pavilion at EPCOT!) are not the way you treat someone with his abilities and history.

Now, I never saw him working until death for the company like John Hench, but I certainly think that yet again TWDC shows a remarkable lack of class and smarts ... and no window on MSUSA will change that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom