Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

MarkTwain

Now the Twitterverse is saying he's not retiring "wait for the press release tomorrow".

'Cause, the Twitterverse knows all.
And they're watching. Wave at 'em. Hi, Twitterverse!

MiceChat insiders are saying something similar. They're saying that "retiring" is not the correct term and there will be some conditions announced tomorrow that will make this seem less devastating. Hmmm.

WDW1974

Original Poster
MiceChat insiders are saying something similar. They're saying that "retiring" is not the correct term and there will be some conditions announced tomorrow that will make this seem less devastating. Hmmm.

I think that's largely designed to not get the fanbois lathered up with Disney ... if Tony hasn't done anything of substance since the 20th century as a full-time Imagineer, then why would anyone think that he'd be better off as a consultant.

This ain't a situation where they're gonna stick him on a plane monthly to China and advise Bob and his team. ... It may mean they might ask him about some of the history of the Tahitian Terrace if they decide to ever reopen that location ... it certainly means they'll drag him out at D23 and let the fanbois drool on him.

What's so sad is that he is still capable of great work and pretty much was put out to pasture at age 51.

Atomicmickey

I think that's largely designed to not get the fanbois lathered up with Disney ... if Tony hasn't done anything of substance since the 20th century as a full-time Imagineer, then why would anyone think that he'd be better off as a consultant.

This ain't a situation where they're gonna stick him on a plane monthly to China and advise Bob and his team. ... It may mean they might ask him about some of the history of the Tahitian Terrace if they decide to ever reopen that location ... it certainly means they'll drag him out at D23 and let the fanbois drool on him.

What's so sad is that he is still capable of great work and pretty much was put out to pasture at age 51.

That's about what I figured. A symbolic thing.

drew81

So, the question is what kind of day is February 1st going to be in the Disney UNIverse?

We have the first 'official' day on the job for George Kalogridis as WDW Prez (one wonders why he hasn't been seen the past few days) and Michael Colglazier at the DLR.

Over and under on The Disney Parks Blog having some PR up tomorrow?

And we have Tony Baxter 'retiring' but not quite at WDI, just the latest in a long line of talent to be diminished and/or sent packing while, at the same time, Disney's product has fallen from the ranks of the untouchable.

Oh, then there's that pesky Congressman and the privacy concerns relating to NEXT GEN.

I am not a fan of January. In fact, if it wasn't for August's weather in FL it would be my least favorite month of the year. But I am thinking February is going to be lots of fun ... lots!

And you forgot "Escape from Tomorrow".

lol

WDW1974

Original Poster
One (hopefully) final thought for the evening, but it occurs to me with all the bloggers, podcasters and Disney Lifestylers in O-Town that NONE of them have tried to track down Iger, Staggs, Crofton or Kalogridis for comments on anything that's going in at WDW.

They damn well know they are there. They damn well know where they have been seen. And where they're likely to be seen. ... And yet, nothing.

Why do you think that is?

They'll fight to the death to be the first to have picture of Tangled toilets. But when the leadership team of the entire company and P&R is around, I guess they all decided to spend the week at UNI or Legoland?

Not that the real media is any better, but they have procedures they have to go through. A blogger with an AP can hang around Tron Track all day (unfortunately) waiting for a chance encounter ... yet they don't.

Your thoughts?

Oh, and I want to be the first here to wish everyone a Happy George A. Kalogridis Day! (GAK for short!) Cheers!

Lee

Adventurer
They damn well know they are there. They damn well know where they have been seen. And where they're likely to be seen. ... And yet, nothing.

A blogger with an AP can hang around Tron Track all day (unfortunately) waiting for a chance encounter ... yet they don't.

Your thoughts?

Fear. Pure and simple.
Mixed with a little awe.

Things that don't generally effect true journalists.

Monsterfan99

One (hopefully) final thought for the evening, but it occurs to me with all the bloggers, podcasters and Disney Lifestylers in O-Town that NONE of them have tried to track down Iger, Staggs, Crofton or Kalogridis for comments on anything that's going in at WDW.

They'll fight to the death to be the first to have picture of Tangled toilets. But when the leadership team of the entire company and P&R is around, I guess they all decided to spend the week at UNI or Legoland?

Not that the real media is any better, but they have procedures they have to go through. A blogger with an AP can hang around Tron Track all day (unfortunately) waiting for a chance encounter ... yet they don't.

Your thoughts?

Oh, and I want to be the first here to wish everyone a Happy George A. Kalogridis Day! (GAK for short!) Cheers!
It would require them to think of a relevant question to ask unlike their "So how you you feel about (insert item at press event they had 9 too many drinks at)" routine. Or they don't want to get spanked in public by their daddy for talking out of turn.

Sneezy62

I was just looking at the videos in this thread. I know the WDW leadership get a lot of the blame for "dumbing down" Disney World, but I wonder how many people would go to the MK in these videos. No roller coasters, no 3D movies, no meet and greets. I remember it as being an unbelievable place where anything was possible. Even if the technology had been kept up and The Mickey Mouse Revue had been updated to the latest and greatest AAs on a regular basis would today's guests would really prefer it over Philharmagic. I certainly miss it, but is that just nostalgia on my part? Would the idealism of 1971 play today? Nothing Disney showcased in what amounted to an hour long infomercial about WDW would be considered an E Ticket today, but they were the best of the best at the time. How much do we blame Iger (or Eisner) and how much do we blame Honey Boo Boo?

TalkingHead

Your thoughts?

They don't wanna sniff, much less nibble, the hand that permits them to hang around for table scraps.

the.dreamfinder

I'd argue they're astro turf. Their goal is to create fake buzz around basically nothing.

P&R needs to look at what has happened with both the Monsters University website and ad that played during the BCS or how an unlisted(need link to view) upload of the short Paperman on YouTube just got 3.5 million views in two days. THAT IS HOW YOU USE SM! Of course, the issue there is that Staggs, Rasulo and the BoD haven't greenlit any expansion of note in the US outside of DCA/DCL so there's no product to sell. SM doesn't work if you don't have something of substance to push. I really don't give a s*** that they're building Tangled restrooms and neither does 99% of the Disney fan community. Use SM to inform us about something that will blow us away and compell us to visit. After all, we're all still waiting for the next E-Ticket! ;)
UPDATE: As of this afternoon, the view count on Paperman is up to 5.4 million.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Your thoughts?

Simple... They are 'trackers' - not reporters or investigative journalists.

They are followers - not innovators. Think about it... What do any if them do that is unique or new?? Someone takes 'more pictures and more videos at better qualities'... Oh and scrambles to be the fastest. That's not creative or innovative, that's just trying to do what someone else did but do it 'better'. They follow in their idea...

You can still hate 'em - but at least mongo'gogo at least added something new to the universe with their crowd/line tracking.

The question you pose doesn't surprise me one bit. They don't have the 'seek it out' mindset. Since they are spoon fed most of the time, it further conditions them to be complacent and wait for the tip or story to be handed to them.

It doesn't take a innovator or journalistic hunger to photo document change in the theme parks - just raw capacity and tolerance for monotony.

Your question would make sense standing in a newsroom... But these are not and it shows :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom