Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

lego606

MagicBandit
The only way I can picture myself wearing the Tragic Band is to get a Fastpass + for Mansion and only so I can avoid going through that awful Theme-ruining Interactive queue.

I like the queue. It's fun and while it's slightly ridiculous, it doesn't really detract from the theme.

ParentsOf4

Fashion: Really? As a species we have become so shallow as to use that excuse for unhappiness. Tan lines? Plastic wrist bands? I don't know about on the West Coast but here on the east coast it is quite fashionable to were those overgrown rubber bands supporting every cause imaginable. I have even seen them worn by Red Carpet folks with a cause that they support. That is so far away from a reasonable argument that it becomes almost baby gibberish.
Sorry that my use of the word "fashion" was misleading. It was meant to cover a myriad of personal reasons that make people dislike MagicBands.

With the weighty topics of privacy and child safety being debated, it’s sometimes easy to overlook that one of the biggest hurdles to overcome is simply getting people to wear MagicBands. The official MyMagic+ travel agent guide lists “My Disney Experience”, “Disney FastPass+”, and “MagicBand” as the 3 “key features” of MyMagic+. Quoting from it “MagicBand is fun and easy to use and a colorful keepsake”. What happens when people find it annoying and difficult and ugly?

People have understandable personal reasons why they don't want to wear MagicBands. To paraphrase some of the posts on various websites: “They look horrible.” “That can’t possibly be comfortable.” “Why would I want to wear sticky plastic in the Florida heat?” “I hate wearing anything on my wrist.” “It will ruin my tan line.” “My skin itches when I wear a watch, I don’t want to be scratching my wrist my entire trip.” “My kids are just going to fidget with it and lose it.” “Do I have to wear it?” These people aren’t concerned with privacy or safety. They physically don’t like MagicBands. Think of it this way; rip out the insides and how many of us would wear MagicBands?

Is the successful 50-year old business executive staying at the Grand Floridian going to wear a cheap plastic bracelet on her wrist? How will it measure up next to her Rolex? What about the preteen whose little sister is jumping up and down to get her bracelet upgraded to have Ariel on it? Is he going to even consider wearing something his 5-year-old sister is squealing for? How many Vets are going to think MagicBands look cool next to their Semper Fidelis tattoo? What does Disney do when, after trying it for a day, the onsite guest walks up to the Front Desk and asks, “I hate the thing, can I just get a normal room key?”

There will be all types wearing MagicBands. There also will be all types who won’t. Just because Disney makes them doesn't mean people will automatically like them.

Yes, there are people wearing Mickey Ears at WDW. They might very well love MagicBands. But what percentage wears Mickey Ears? 10%? 20%? How many people who don’t wear Mickey Ears are going to feel comfortable wearing MagicBands, especially once they notice all the other guests not wearing them and ask themselves “Do I look kinda dorky wearing this thing?”

I wonder how many of Disney executives actually wore one for an entire day under a sweltering Florida sun. I wonder how many asked their entire families, from grandparents to grandchildren, to wear one for an entire day, to walk around in public with it on their wrists. Like so many things at WDW as of late, it seems that Disney executives thought of MagicBands like business people, not like real people.

Now, common Disney! Announce Pixar Land so we can discuss something else!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Trasnportation is included because Disney says it is. And transportation will no longer be included when Disney says it's not. These rules aren't etched in stone.

Of course - but it wasn't the lack of having a RFID ticket that prevented them from charging for buses in the past.. so it's unlikely that having an RFID ticket is now going to 'enable' them to charge for the buses which is what the posts were about. Certainly one could say 'well it gives them a payment system' - sure, but charging access on your band isn't going to universal, so you still need to deal with the classic payment problems.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Iger definitely seems to embody everything that was bad about Eisner but very little of what was actually good about him.

How many multi-million employee buyouts has Iger had to settle?
How many people are scared that Iger is gonna back stab them?
How many people are scared of Iger's temper and outbursts?
Has Iger been picking off his own people to ensure no one will challenge his position of CEO?

While Iger may not have the charm Eisner had for speaking.. he's been all business.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
How many multi-million employee buyouts has Iger had to settle?
How many people are scared that Iger is gonna back stab them?
How many people are scared of Iger's temper and outbursts?
Has Iger been picking off his own people to ensure no one will challenge his position of CEO?

While Iger may not have the charm Eisner had for speaking.. he's been all business.

I agree with this... while Iger certainly has his faults, he surely isn't as bad as he is made out to be. Buying Pixar saved animation in my opinion. Buying Lucasfilm and Marvel... I think they will eventually prove to be good acquisitions, if they haven't already.

stlphil

Its virtually abandoned in the sense of place setting. The corridor from CCT to Carsland is the poster child for 'incomplete'. You still have the winery (now Blue Sky Celler), along with the restaurant.. opposite the stripped out remains of the farm in front of ITTBAB.. which is difficult to know is even there if you didn't know it.

It doesn't really detract from the other areas of the park - it just doesn't help itself or others. Theme was never a problem once in bugsland given how enclosed the guest is because of the heavy top cover in the area.
Thanks.

Given that this was thrown into the park as a quick and cheap fix for complaints about nothing for kids to do in DCA 1.0, I always thought it turned out pretty well despite the rides themselves being meh. From your description it sounds like DCA 2.0 still needs that phase 2 to address all the placemaking issues.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, @Eddie Sotto just tweeted that Tony Baxter will announce his retirement from WDI tomorrow (his 66th B-Day, if I'm not mistaken).

Don't want to say I told you so, but well ... I did back last fall when Tony told mutual friends at IAAPA that he would be resigning.

Californian Elitist

So, @Eddie Sotto just tweeted that Tony Baxter will announce his retirement from WDI tomorrow (his 66th B-Day, if I'm not mistaken).

Don't want to say I told you so, but well ... I did back last fall when Tony told mutual friends at IAAPA that he would be resigning.

I'm sad to hear he's retiring. I don't know when he's leaving, but he should go out with a bang (new Tomorrowland for Disneyland).

BlueSkyDriveBy

I just posted in Eddie's thread that tomorrow is Tony's birthday.

This does not surprise me, actually. I'm only sorry that he didn't stay until his 50th anniversary with Disney in Aug 2015.

Hopefully, he'll be able to do the consultant thing for 1401F for years to come.

WDW1974

Original Poster
More on Baxter, I honestly feel awful for the way Tony was treated by everyone from Marty on down largely for the last 15 years. It astounds me how he was 'blamed' for Euro Disney, which was a huge creative success and would have been a huge financial success had they not been greedy and tried to build WDW in the beet fields east of Paris.

He really has been largely maginalized (while being paid a huge salary) to do tiny little projects while folks of far less talent get the big projects.

It amazes me that Disney is building its second MK in China and doesn't want his input in any way, shape or form.

There just isn't a group of talent waiting in the wings, sadly.

Now ... wasn't the someone here (I don't even recall who) who swore up and down that Tony was going to be working on a MK Frontierland project that I said was patently absurd?

flynnibus

Premium Member

So much for holding on to finish his latest dl project then ?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
More on Baxter, I honestly feel awful for the way Tony was treated by everyone from Marty on down largely for the last 15 years. It astounds me how he was 'blamed' for Euro Disney, which was a huge creative success and would have been a huge financial success had they not been greedy and tried to build WDW in the beet fields east of Paris.

He really has been largely maginalized (while being paid a huge salary) to do tiny little projects while folks of far less talent get the big projects.

It amazes me that Disney is building its second MK in China and doesn't want his input in any way, shape or form.

There just isn't a group of talent waiting in the wings, sadly.

Now ... wasn't the someone here (I don't even recall who) who swore up and down that Tony was going to be working on a MK Frontierland project that I said was patently absurd?

I hope Tony can do some consulting work for Disney but seeing his mistreatment makes me think that might not happen. At least not right away... maybe Uni will ask for some input as they pound WDW on attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom