Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Kuhio

The Congressman's letter could be boiled down to 'I heard in the paper... and the paper said this.. and the paper said that..' - it referenced nothing but the Times article and referenced it countless times. I bet that is what they took offense too..
I think using the Times as his 'source' of all his knowledge.. is what ed Iger off.

Maybe Iger would have felt better if Congressman Markey had instead cited this thread as the source of all his knowledge regarding MyMagic+.
biggrin.gif

Virtual Toad

At the outset of this initiative, it was also largely the case that:

3) We didn't know that Disney doesn't know.

However, taking the information we've gleaned from this thread, coupled with Iger's glaring non-responses to Markey,

4) Now we know that Disney doesn't know.

And, if anyone at Disney has been following this thread at all -- or has just taken a critical look at what Iger did and didn't actually say in response to Markey, it should be clear that:

5) Disney now knows that we know that Disney doesn't know.

As to whether Disney's knowing this affects the company's strategy with regard to either the marketing or implementation of MyMagic+ going forward, well...

I don't know.

As long as Scotty doesn't know....

yoyoflamingo

And not guests that PR and Social Media hacks pre-selected for him.

Guests that might tell him in colorful language what they think of their MAGICal WDW vacations. Again, I'd want real feedback. Not what my PR team, execs or researchers tell me.

Old Dead Guy Walt was known for hanging out in the parks and talking to guests like a real human being ... I'm not going to suggest for a second that Bob is a real human being, but I will suggest that he might want to learn how to fake it from time to time.

No words like magical, dreams, wishes, memories, etc. in their interviews. Easiest way to tell the guest is a plant.

Or, he could stand in line at an attraction or the exit of them and listen to comments without even interacting if he doesn't want to deal with the unwashed masses.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks for the tech talk to @flynnibus @Lil Fort and @kittybubbles.

I found it all somewhat helpful.

But I also saw nothing to say that it isn't possible for Disney to track you (and that may be the wrong or loaded term) while in the parks. They may not know exactly where you are, but it would seem they can pinpoint it down very, very closely using either MagicBands, FP+ AND your smartphones and tablets.

So, they may not know you are on the third bench on the porch near CBJ, but they can tell you just exited the show and walked out the Frontierland Mercantile (or whatever they call the only shop in the land now) through a specific set of doors and that you haven't activated any reader since. ... and one could surmise that with your phone on, they could know exactly where you are on said bench.

I am starting to think that much of this back-and-forth is simply a semantics mixed in with what portion of the project can really do this or that.

Tiggerrules

Youuuuu raaaannnnng???? (in my best Lurch voice) ;) Sorry, between my day job and my business I haven't had much time to do more than keep caught up on the conversation.

I think that when Iger chose the phrase 'not GPS-based', he chose his words very carefully. While it is true, it is also misleading. While the bands do not contain a GPS tracking device, they most certainly can be used for geolocation. Think of your cell phone. If you go into the location settings you will see several options. Depending on the options that you choose, different methods will be used to determine your location. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation. While GPS is the most accurate, it also requires line of sight with the satellites to work. This would actually make GPS a poor choice for geolocation in the MagicBands because they would not work while indoors. The next best thing is wi-fi or cellular based geolocation. These are similar and work on triangulation of known cell towers and wi-fi hotspots. The location can be determined by sending out a signal and waiting for a response. The receiver is from the source of the signal, the longer it will take the signal to get there. Using the results from several receivers, the location can be calculated by triangulation. The MagicBands don't have a cell carrier, but they are wi-fi enabled. The down side to wi-fi based geolocation is that it isn't as accurate. The up side is that it will work both indoors and outdoors. This actually makes it a better choice for the MagicBands. Hope that helps explain things.

Nice job on explaining the technology. Most of the technology, they seem to be using, has been around quite awhile, just a new way of exploiting it.

PhotoDave219

But I also saw nothing to say that it isn't possible for Disney to track you (and that may be the wrong or loaded term) while in the parks. They may not know exactly where you are, but it would seem they can pinpoint it down very, very closely using either MagicBands, FP+ AND your smartphones and tablets.

So, they may not know you are on the third bench on the porch near CBJ, but they can tell you just exited the ride and walked out the Frontierland Mercantile (or whatever they call the only shop in the land now) through which set of doors and that you haven't activated any reader since. ... and one could surmise that with your phone on, they could know exactly where you are on said bench.

I am starting to think that much of this back-and-forth is simply a semantics mixed in with what portion of the project can really do this or that.

Well I know their wifi blocks a few of my friend's websites. Then again, I have a variety of friends.

Anyways, when you use the example of the cruise line model but on a larger scale, you're spot on.

flynnibus

Premium Member

That is correct - using many sources Disney can build a more complete picture. Its also why your point that you can't avoid the chip isn't all that meaningful. Its not the chip or the band that defines if Disney can or cannot be devious with your personal info. Disney already has tools that would empower profiling.

What matters is how Disney correlates and uses that data. And that is whether their privacy policy and privacy controls come into play. An area Disney has shown they are restrictive and had at leasst reasonable controls.

Its why I've been saying repeatedly that the RFID portion is really just the blinky light that is detracting from other true core concepts.

The rfid portion is an enabler and added new values, but really doesn't fundamentally change how Disney would face privacy

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well I know their wifi blocks a few of my friend's websites. Then again, I have a variety of friends.

I can tell you a friend (not a fanboi shockingly) tried to open a link from Victoria's Secret a few days ago at MK and was blocked. ... That, of course, is a slippery slope.

Anyways, when you use the example of the cruise line model but on a larger scale, you're spot on.

Oh, without sounding cocky, I know. When I first heard about this combined with the DDP, I knew they were looking to transfer the cruise line model onto a land-based resort. ... And it will never work precisely because of those fundamental differences. But it sure is fun to watch.

Clever Name

Virtual Toad

I can tell you a friend (not a fanboi shockingly) tried to open a link from Victoria's Secret a few days ago at MK and was blocked. ... That, of course, is a slippery slope.

Oh, without sounding cocky, I know. When I first heard about this combined with the DDP, I knew they were looking to transfer the cruise line model onto a land-based resort. ... And it will never work precisely because of those fundamental differences. But it sure is fun to watch.

It's like they're hell bent on turning the world's finest restaurant into an all-you-can-eat buffet. With house arrest bracelet included-- at no extra charge!*

* Some restrictions apply. Member FDIC.

PhotoDave219

I'm not against progress or against trying to enhance the guest experience; I just want them to do this the right way and it doesn't seem like they're doing that.

Hell, we can't even get butter at the new bakery in France to go with the baguettes, how do we expect them to get all this technology to work if they cant do that?! (Yeah, thats this week's dining gripe)

RSoxNo1

I've speculated the band may have logic to know when to turn itself on or off based on broadcasts in the WDW area. But that is based on my design theory, not anything specific released from Disney.
They've done this with a reasonable amount of success with the Glow with the Show ears at Disneyland. I believe they automatically shut off at Haunted Mansion for example.

Rodan75

Lurker but I saw something today that made me finally register. Perusing the job board on my university's career services site, I spotted this listing:

Pricing Strategy & Revenue Management Internship - Walt Disney World

RESPONSIBILITIES:
Intern assignments include, but are not limited to:
•Building complex financial spreadsheet models/analysis to drive pricing decisions for multiple lines of business at both the Walt Disney World & Disneyland Resorts.
•Analyzing large quantities of historical data to better understand guest behavior by identifying trends, patterns, and irregularities in consumer transactions.
•Developing competitive research and conducting industry benchmarks to provide background information for the entire Pricing department.
•Identifying industry practices and academic theory in economics, finance, revenue management, and marketing disciplines to advance the department’s analysis.
•Preparing weekly and monthly reporting in regards to sales and booking data.

I just thought the timing of this listing being posted was interesting. Maybe it's just coincidence, but it is the only listing by WDC on the board.

If they are doing data mining and correlation in spreadsheets, I think everyone can stand down on their concerns regarding Mymagic+

flynnibus

Premium Member
I sort of like how they mentioned that the locating was not continuous. I assume if I mark your location every 30 seconds as opposed to your every move, then it is not continuous. I assume most people associated location tracking as a GPS function and the bands are not GPS based.

2.4 GHZ is one of the frequencies reserved for open use. This is the frequency older cordless phones use, so for an idea of range, just think of how far a cordless phone could be from the base station and still get a dial tone. I assume older home WI-FI networks use this frequency as well. Newer cordless phones (and I assume N routers use another open frequency in the 5 GHZ range.

N network runs on both 5 and 2.4ghz.

As you said, a network of recievers can triangulate a location.. But they may not even care for that type of Precision. If proximity is asll you need... You can simplify.

something that does bother me is that they can say they will not share my personal data, but that does not mean they will not sell my data in aggregate as demographically data is valuable too. I know if I get an Andriod phone, I probably saved some money since Google gave away the operating system but the cost is that Google knows more about me then I know about myself...Target at least gives me 5% off if I use their card....I just can't figure out what Disney gives me as an incentive to play in Skinner's box.

But this is not a new concern at all...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom