Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I think thats EXACTLY what Disney wants this system to do.

(As for the CT use of the data..... HOLY ****. Scary stuff how much we can be tracked by our own government)

Yeah, this illustrates the possibilities of the system. However, I don't think there is all that much wrong with utilizing it to market and all that. I also can't see them pulling some big time CT stuff, although they may very well find a way to incorporate this into Security. They do have some of the best private security in the world. The government asked Disney to talk to them about facial recognition camera implementations post 9/11.

EDIT: At least you found the links I posted interesting... and scary lol. I honestly think it is amazing.

Darth Sidious

Anyone know if those CM in the parks who ask guests short surveys, have surveys on merchandise? If so I'm interested in what they ask.

Snowflake82

Yes, it most definitely does.

Jerry Sandusky anyone ...

Sadly, it does happen. And it is not defensible in any way. But the reality is that children are far more likely to be abused by family members than by coaches, teachers, or scout leaders. I found the original comment to very offensive to the many, many fine people in the teaching profession, not to mention those who volunteer their time to help kids (with no evil motives).

Just had to get that off my chest. Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of how those who don't want to be tracked by TWDC will pay more and get less. (That was not sarcasm,by the way.)

John

I'm not kidding. They said they didnt have any butter.

Seriously....a French resturant saying they didnt have any butter? How did they manage to cook....ummmm French food? It may seem trivial to most but I find that more then puzzleing. Very few French recipes do not have butter. See if you had your TragicBand on they would have said on your next visit.....Here Mr Dave here is your butter with out even asking....

Belowthesurface

Besides the obvious criticism of WDW74's continued use of an inappropriately morbid and disrespectful nickname for Walt Disney (what did Walt ever do to this guy?), its cringe-worthy reading posts infused with the author's own language of neogolisms dripping with sarcasm, and real antipathy. (MAGICal . . . sarcasm? Why keep using this little made up nothingness in so many posts?)

Maybe WDW74 is worried that TDO will want to track the online super-critics and Adam Woo him from the parks by rescinding their annual passes?

It seems that debate of NextGen is sort of academic at this point given that it will be rolled out.

Though we all have our pet peeves regarding TDO, maybe we should come up with a new term when somebody really goes off the rails, such as a "Donald Duck rant?"

Bob Iger isn't perfect, but under his tenure Carsland was built, and he acquired Star Wars. Seems to "get" Disney more than Eisner did. Not so sure I'd go so far as to basically call him a sub-human . . .

He tells it like it is. Disney is out of control with egos and agendas and '74 is putting people in their rightful place.

scpergj

I'm not against progress or against trying to enhance the guest experience; I just want them to do this the right way and it doesn't seem like they're doing that.

Hell, we can't even get butter at the new bakery in France to go with the baguettes, how do we expect them to get all this technology to work if they cant do that?! (Yeah, thats this week's dining gripe)

No butter?

I know they've been going overboard with their good for you food options, but even I need some butter on my bread...and I'm in pretty darn good shape (regularly run 3 + miles - like 3 - 4 times a week) for a 40+ year old dude.

No butter? that's just stupid.

scpergj

If they are doing data mining and correlation in spreadsheets, I think everyone can stand down on their concerns regarding Mymagic+

Not so much...you wouldn't believe how powerful a tool Excel can be when used in conjunction with SQL Server (I would know...). You can run queries and dump the data to spreadsheets for easier presentation to management...or to corporate partners.

Goofyernmost

Seriously....a French resturant saying they didnt have any butter? How did they manage to cook....ummmm French food? It may seem trivial to most but I find that more then puzzleing.
No butter? that's just stupid.
Finally we get to a topic on this thread that is of some controllable, important problem. We wants the butter!

He tells it like it is. Disney is out of control with egos and agendas and '74 is putting people in their rightful place.
Yes, he does, but I also think that referring to Walt Disney as an "Old Dead Guy,Walt" a little less then necessary and not at all relevant to his anger unless he is still upset about him dying and leaving Disney Company to these uncaring people. Which, BTW, was a pretty inconsiderate thing for Walt to do. Damn him anyway! What was Walt thinking?

Lee

Adventurer
Yes, he does, but I also think that referring to Walt Disney as an "Old Dead Guy,Walt" a little less then necessary and not at all relevant to his anger unless he is still upset about him dying and leaving Disney Company to these uncaring people.
Referring to Walt as the "Old Dead Guy" is a direct reflection of how he is viewed by today's corporate management who have systematically removed or neglected many of the principles and ideas that the man stood for.
Spirit isn't showing disrespect, he is mocking those who do.

GrumpyFan

Yeah, this illustrates the possibilities of the system. However, I don't think there is all that much wrong with utilizing it to market and all that. I also can't see them pulling some big time CT stuff, although they may very well find a way to incorporate this into Security. They do have some of the best private security in the world. The government asked Disney to talk to them about facial recognition camera implementations post 9/11.

EDIT: At least you found the links I posted interesting... and scary lol. I honestly think it is amazing.

I agree, this is pretty amazing, powerful and scary stuff, but something that is clearly needed in this day and time.
I have trouble seeing how it could be applied for use at Disney though. The strong point of it seems to be finding and linking data across multiple systems for the purpose of finding abnormalities or fraudulent activities. And, while Disney could probably use something like this to catch bad guys on property, I'm not sure it's what they're aiming for with NextGen.

Everything I've read about NextGen points to finding new ways to improve the guest experience in hopes of influencing them to spend more money, with the thought being a happy guest will spend more money, and choose to come back sooner. Yes, they will achieve this via data mining and the more detailed feedback they will be able to get from MagicBand, but it's more about streamlining the experience. Mind you, there may be more involved that they're not spelling out, but the following is just some of what I've found.

The following is from patent: - 7720718 - Management of the flow of persons in relation to centers of crowd concentration
-A goal of this invention is to improve the desired functionality needed to derive increased guest satisfaction, additional revenue opportunities and resort differentiation.

The following from another patent (application) - 20120271834 - Managing experience state to personalize destination visits
-For example, the operator may change arbitration rules based on data mining that may indicate that entitlements have not been distributed as desired (e.g., experiences were being provided in a too concentrated manner to a small fraction of visitors, experiences were not being delivered to preferred customers as often as desired, and due to other business rules/goals). In other cases, the I/O devices may be used to alert operators of the management system when a visitor is about to leave a facility without receiving one or more experiences (which they may have purchased the entitlement to), and the operator may the take proactive steps to try to provide the visitor with the experience or to take later steps to make up for the missed opportunity (send the visitor a free pass or gift).

And one more from a more recent patent application - 20130018661 - Guest experience management system and method
-One disadvantage at many theme parks and amusement parks is the long lines that guests face to enter the park, at the attractions within the park, and when purchasing food at mealtimes. Long wait times for attractions in particular detract from the guests experience, not just from the time spent standing in lines, but also by causing the guest to rush from attraction to attraction to maximize the number of popular attractions, without taking time to notice or enjoy the other offerings of the theme park such as music, live entertainment, restaurants, shops, etc.
-Additionally, guests that rarely frequent the park are typically unfamiliar with the layout of the park as well as with the peak times for more popular rides. This can further decrease those guests enjoyment, as they may take circuitous routes in order to try and visit as many attractions as possible, and may cause them to experience even longer lines by failing to visit the most popular attractions at off-peak hours.
-Different methods have been used to try and minimize wait times in theme parks and amusement parks, including limiting ticket sales on a given day to prevent overcrowding and allowing guests to purchase more expensive express tickets that allow the guest to use shorter express lines for popular attractions. These methods are limited and more prevent overcrowding in the theme park itself, but do not guarantee guests that they will have shorter wait times.
-Similarly, other methods to try and minimize wait times in theme parks include allowing guests to appear at the attraction and reserve a specific time in the future when the guest can return to the attraction and enter through an express line. This method is also limited in that it does not allow guests planning their trips to know ahead of time what attractions they will be able to visit on a given day, and what is the best route through the theme park for those desired attractions. Moreover, such systems will typically not allow the guest to make multiple appointments (manifested as flexible return windows)s at the same time. Thus, if the only available appointment times for a popular attraction are late in the day, the guest must either make the appointment and forego the opportunity to make appointments at other attractions, or risk missing the popular attraction entirely.
-Accordingly, there is a need for a method and system that better manages the guest experience and the wait times at theme parts, amusement parks and resorts.

I should add that this last one includes a whole lot more detail about providing customized experiences, not just more FP+s, but interactive elements and special effects made available for specific guests based on what "experience level" they purchased. (This could point to a new ticket pricing structure.)

I could cite more examples, but I think this should suffice (for now).

TLDR: Believe what you want, but there are several patents filed by Disney which clearly lay out the specifics of how Disney would like to use their new NextGen MagicBand Data mining tools, none of which references selling it or sharing it with third parties.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Referring to Walt as the "Old Dead Guy" is a direct reflection of how he is viewed by today's corporate management who have systematically removed or neglected many of the principles and ideas that the man stood for.
On this here interwebz thingy, it's hard to distinguish mockery of others from disrespect. Given @WDW1974 's penchant for caustic treatment of others and self-professed lack of tech savvy, it's an understandable leap of imagination to suggest his choice of language was inappropriate.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Read up on PowerPivot. Excel has gotten some pretty high-end BI capabilities in recent versions.

Yeah, but the data is too big for it. Pivot is how you represent and manipulate the data. In my experience building a BI tool.. what you learn is constraints exist around what you can do in real-time because of either 1) data scale and/or 2) computational complexity. So you do all that stuff in batches and store precomputed values so you aren't working with the raw data anymore, but rather facts and dimensions (in a CUBE world..) and then you use nice pivot tools to interpret it.

Multidimensional databases is where this analytics stuff lives... spreadsheets and other tools are nice ways to visualize and query the meaty data that really lives off in the massive db servers.

Darth Sidious

I agree, this is pretty amazing, powerful and scary stuff, but something that is clearly needed in this day and time.
I have trouble seeing how it could be applied for use at Disney though. The strong point of it seems to be finding and linking data across multiple systems for the purpose of finding abnormalities or fraudulent activities. And, while Disney could probably use something like this to catch bad guys on property, I'm not sure it's what they're aiming for with NextGen.

Everything I've read about NextGen points to finding new ways to improve the guest experience in hopes of influencing them to spend more money, with the thought being a happy guest will spend more money, and choose to come back sooner. Yes, they will achieve this via data mining and the more detailed feedback they will be able to get from MagicBand, but it's more about streamlining the experience. Mind you, there may be more involved that they're not spelling out, but the following is just some of what I've found.

The following is from patent: - 7720718 - Management of the flow of persons in relation to centers of crowd concentration
-A goal of this invention is to improve the desired functionality needed to derive increased guest satisfaction, additional revenue opportunities and resort differentiation.

The following from another patent (application) - 20120271834 - Managing experience state to personalize destination visits
-For example, the operator may change arbitration rules based on data mining that may indicate that entitlements have not been distributed as desired (e.g., experiences were being provided in a too concentrated manner to a small fraction of visitors, experiences were not being delivered to preferred customers as often as desired, and due to other business rules/goals). In other cases, the I/O devices may be used to alert operators of the management system when a visitor is about to leave a facility without receiving one or more experiences (which they may have purchased the entitlement to), and the operator may the take proactive steps to try to provide the visitor with the experience or to take later steps to make up for the missed opportunity (send the visitor a free pass or gift).

And one more from a more recent patent application - 20130018661 - Guest experience management system and method
-One disadvantage at many theme parks and amusement parks is the long lines that guests face to enter the park, at the attractions within the park, and when purchasing food at mealtimes. Long wait times for attractions in particular detract from the guests experience, not just from the time spent standing in lines, but also by causing the guest to rush from attraction to attraction to maximize the number of popular attractions, without taking time to notice or enjoy the other offerings of the theme park such as music, live entertainment, restaurants, shops, etc.
-Additionally, guests that rarely frequent the park are typically unfamiliar with the layout of the park as well as with the peak times for more popular rides. This can further decrease those guests enjoyment, as they may take circuitous routes in order to try and visit as many attractions as possible, and may cause them to experience even longer lines by failing to visit the most popular attractions at off-peak hours.
-Different methods have been used to try and minimize wait times in theme parks and amusement parks, including limiting ticket sales on a given day to prevent overcrowding and allowing guests to purchase more expensive express tickets that allow the guest to use shorter express lines for popular attractions. These methods are limited and more prevent overcrowding in the theme park itself, but do not guarantee guests that they will have shorter wait times.
-Similarly, other methods to try and minimize wait times in theme parks include allowing guests to appear at the attraction and reserve a specific time in the future when the guest can return to the attraction and enter through an express line. This method is also limited in that it does not allow guests planning their trips to know ahead of time what attractions they will be able to visit on a given day, and what is the best route through the theme park for those desired attractions. Moreover, such systems will typically not allow the guest to make multiple appointments (manifested as flexible return windows)s at the same time. Thus, if the only available appointment times for a popular attraction are late in the day, the guest must either make the appointment and forego the opportunity to make appointments at other attractions, or risk missing the popular attraction entirely.
-Accordingly, there is a need for a method and system that better manages the guest experience and the wait times at theme parts, amusement parks and resorts.

I should add that this last one includes a whole lot more detail about providing customized experiences, not just more FP+s, but interactive elements and special effects made available for specific guests based on what "experience level" they purchased. (This could point to a new ticket pricing structure.)

I could cite more examples, but I think this should suffice (for now).

I just want to clarify that the system I posted could be used to string commonalities and trends together. This could analyzed by the computer to produce some sort of prediction of items they'd most likely be interested in. Then with that data the guest could be alerted with coupons and advertisements telling them of some items they may like and where they are located.

GrumpyFan

I just want to clarify that the system I posted could be used to string commonalities and trends together. This could analyzed by the computer to produce some sort of prediction of items they'd most likely be interested in. Then with that data the guest could be alerted with coupons and advertisements telling them of some items they may like and where they are located.

Oh I understand. I read the links you posted, then some. It's capabilities are pretty incredible, and could probably be tailored for WDW to do what you're suggesting, but it just seems that it's strong point (and the company) is more aimed at finding malicious or uncommon activity for a specific person or event, and then pulling it all together from different sources. The patents I referenced, mention doing the same things you suggest, but it sounds like they're inventing a new wheel specifically for themselves.

Goofyernmost

OK, but not all of us are in that loop. It really does hurt his credibility when he uses "insider" humor with some of us. And it bothers me to have anyone refer to Walt like that. He wasn't perfect but all one has to do is stand on an upper floor of a hotel in the Orlando area, look around, and see the impact that one man had on just one area, say nothing about the other places where that same impact is obvious. Something that will never be the legacy of any of those high paid executives currently in place. Just because that is the attitude of "management" doesn't mean that anyone should justify it by repeating it without some explanation to clarify its meaning . JMHO!

Goofyernmost

Sorry about that, just my gripe of the week. The old bakery gave you butter when you bought a baguette. Here you get a "we dont have any" and typical french service.
No need to be sorry, I found it a refreshing change from the general tone and repetitiveness of this thread. How many times can anyone make the same argument for 217 pages. Now butter, that's a topic that can be spread thick and never loses it's flavor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom