Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Before I type this ... am I the only one that has trouble pasting documents, even simple email into this site without it shutting me down and logging me out? Just wondering ... the next post is going to take longer than the 60 seconds I hoped because I'm going to have to type it, but it will be worth it!!!:D
I've never had any problems cutting and pasting except that sometimes formatting from the original gets messed up when pasted. Easily remedied by the "Remove Formatting" little eraser icon at the top left of the entry window.

NDdon

The way I read the information at the link provided it doesn't have anything to do with NextGen and the wristbands. The COPPA rules apply only to personal information collected from children under 13. Anything provided by their parents or with their parents verified consent is not covered by COPPA. The new changes don't change that basic fact.

That is how I read it. I am still trying to understand why it is getting dragged into the discussion. I know the Rep. who sent the letter to Disney is known for being anti-theme/amusement parks but I dont understand the connection to COPPA.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh and since unlike some here who choose to be passive aggressive, while I am full on aggressive ... let's see if we can get this page count above @Eddie Sotto 's with legit discussion and not back and forth over door sensors.

I heard if we beat him in pages, we all get a free dinner at his restaurant!:D

BlueSkyDriveBy

''Tapped to build the Avatar brand, Kathy Franklin has been named president of franchise development at James Cameron and Jon Landau's Lighstorm [sic] Entertainment. The hire signifies Lightstorm's commmitment, in collaboration with 20th Century Fox, to grow the Avatar name beyond the traditional licensing and merchandising avenues.''

Avatar at DAK was announced on 9/20/11.

:eek: Holy payola, Batman!!

SirLink

Nah because it was going to be announced earlier, unless what your saying is Iger signed he deal with JC as a thank you to Nick ... then yes I agree...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I have been sitting on this info for months because I really thought that it would come up somewhere here. Maybe not in this thread ... maybe? Who knows? But because I am into conspiracy theories and all (right, @Monty? are you out building a snow Canuck again?) and because I have not seen or heard one person mention this, I figure why not put it out there as well.

No talking sensors in doorways or WDW being the Pedophile's Kingdom of the World or such ... let's go to another topic at least briefly.

It involves the woman married to the dude who doesn't know how to dress for bigtime professional appearances. Weird, especially, given Nick Franklin's pre-Disney career at Goldman Sachs (doesn't it always wind up with a tie to the Street?)

Yes, @TP2000 ... your pal who needs a personal shopper from South Coast Plaza or the Beverly Center (think he lives in Santa Monica, so that would be closer) has a very interesting wife as well. One with her own past at TWDC.

Kathy Franklin worked for Disney from 1998 until 2009 when she left, albeit with a healthy consulting contract.

I'll just read you (and retype, due to my computer's 'funny' relationship with the WDWMAGIC.com site) a quote from THR on 8/9/11.

''Tapped to build the Avatar brand, Kathy Franklin has been named president of franchise development at James Cameron and Jon Landau's Lighstorm [sic] Entertainment. The hire signifies Lightstorm's commmitment, in collaboration with 20th Century Fox, to grow the Avatar name beyond the traditional licensing and merchandising avenues.''

Now ... anyone think this was a 'present' for Nick to thank him for this huge new revenue stream he had helped concoct for TWDC?

Y'all discuss. It's a beautiful day in paradise and I'm going out to enjoy!
I'm here. ;)

Nepotism/crony-ism in a large corporation? Say it ain't so! :eek:

John

Was away for a day or so.....Yes, I do wear a watch. 24/7. To me half of life is being on time. To me it is a sign of disrespect to someone whom you have told that you would be there a certian time. I have a job that demands me to be on time. If you are not five minutes early....you are late. Am I OCD? absolutely not. I am not a ubber-planner and while on vacation I couldnt care less what time it was. Only when my flight leaves.:(

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Was away for a day or so.....Yes, I do wear a watch. 24/7. To me half of life is being on time. To me it is a sign of disrespect to someone whom you have told that you would be there a certian time. I have a job that demands me to be on time. If you are not five minutes early....you are late. Am I OCD? absolutely not. I am not a ubber-planner and while on vacation I couldnt care less what time it was. Only when my flight leaves.:(
My mantra is 15 minutes early is on time... ;)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've never had any problems cutting and pasting except that sometimes formatting from the original gets messed up when pasted. Easily remedied by the "Remove Formatting" little eraser icon at the top left of the entry window.
Wow...I've never noticed that...thanks Monty.

Lee

Adventurer
Quick Question, it consistently talks about online, and since no one under 18 can make a reservation on the Disney website. How does something that only deals with online sources have to do with Next Gen and wristbands?
I'm thinking the relevance has to do with the online portions of "My Disney Experience", primarily.

M.rudolf

Before I type this ... am I the only one that has trouble pasting documents, even simple email into this site without it shutting me down and logging me out? Just wondering ... the next post is going to take longer than the 60 seconds I hoped because I'm going to have to type it, but it will be worth it!!!:D
No I've had problems pasting images the past few times i tried

WDW1974

Original Poster
The way I read the information at the link provided it doesn't have anything to do with NextGen and the wristbands. The COPPA rules apply only to personal information collected from children under 13. Anything provided by their parents or with their parents verified consent is not covered by COPPA. The new changes don't change that basic fact.

You are keeping me from the sun, Monty ... baby, I don't appreciate it.

You must really be a quick reader because it took me a considerable amount of time to go over that link and digest what was in it.

But, you, and others here do not seem to have a clue about what DYNAMIC means ... and why parents can't give blanket consent over things that they aren't even aware of because an algorthim creates the opportunity in real time. Believe me or not, but this is what concerns Disney Legal ... it isn't all the datamining or the CM who might a molest a child (cause sadly that sometimes happens anyways). It's the company having the ability to ever-change its relationship with your child without your knowledge or consent.

A parent can't sign away any and all rights of their child (we've seen this with religious groups who have let kids suffer and die rather than seek medical help because 'God will save them' ... many of those parents have gone to jail), especially when they aren't even aware of what they're signing because Disney's eye in the sky is watching and has yet to determine what dialogue it will engage your child in.

I keep seeing very simplistic answers and retorts on these things. Like ''Disney isn't going to send a CM after my daughter to sell her a plush when she comes off Nemo'' ... of course they aren't. They want to eliminate the CMs. What the computer can do is locate your daughter exiting the ride and text her an offer good for 20% off plush at that one locale in the next 30 minutes with her smart phone.

Again, people focus on one aspect and don't put it altogether. I don't know if its ignorance (and there is plenty here that I do not understand) or petulance and Pixie Dust or what ... but very few seem to look at the whole picture ... the bands, FP+, your smart phone and tablets ... how they are all going to be networked and targeted on you and your children.

Does anyone here really think they're spending $1.5 billion and counting on upgrading door locks and creating MagicBands?

Look at the whole picture and if then you don't have as least some questions, you're awfully naive.

But, hey, I just posted a link to a scholarly article written by three leading authorities on COPPA and within five minutes or so, you (now, I'm just talking about you Monty) were sure that nothing they were wrting about applied.

You're wrong.

Now, I'm going out. Respect the thread!:cool:

TP2000

Yes, @TP2000 ... your pal who needs a personal shopper from South Coast Plaza or the Beverly Center (think he lives in Santa Monica, so that would be closer) has a very interesting wife as well. One with her own past at TWDC.

Kathy Franklin worked for Disney from 1998 until 2009 when she left, albeit with a healthy consulting contract.

I'll just read you (and retype, due to my computer's 'funny' relationship with the WDWMAGIC.com site) a quote from THR on 8/9/11.

Now ... anyone think this was a 'present' for Nick to thank him for this huge new revenue stream he had helped concoct for TWDC?

Y'all discuss. It's a beautiful day in paradise and I'm going out to enjoy!

It's another grey and drizzly day here in SoCal, so I'm staying in. And I'm letting this news about Kathy Franklin sink in. Your tipping us off to it @WDW1974 is very appreciated. It does make me chuckle to think how inter-connected these things can be. Los Angeles is a "company town", after all.

Here's the full link to The Hollywood Reporter story on Mrs. Franklin's new gig with James Cameron to "build his brand". http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kathy-franklin-head-avatar-brand-220967

Mr. Franklin is the brain behind MyMagic+ and Mrs. Franklin is the brain behind Avatarland. I bet they're a fun couple to have at a dinner party. :rolleyes:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No

You must really be a quick reader because it took me a considerable amount of time to go over that link and digest what was in it.

But, you, and others here do not seem to have a clue about what DYNAMIC means ... and why parents can't give blanket consent over things that they aren't even aware of because an algorthim creates the opportunity in real time. Believe me or not, but this is what concerns Disney Legal ... it isn't all the datamining or the CM who might a molest a child (cause sadly that sometimes happens anyways). It's the company having the ability to ever-change its relationship with your child without your knowledge or consent.

A parent can't sign away any and all rights of their child (we've seen this with religious groups who have let kids suffer and die rather than seek medical help because 'God will save them' ... many of those parents have gone to jail), especially when they aren't even aware of what they're signing because Disney's eye in the sky is watching and has yet to determine what dialogue it will engage your child in.

I keep seeing very simplistic answers and retorts on these things. Like ''Disney isn't going to send a CM after my daughter to sell her a plush when she comes off Nemo'' ... of course they aren't. They want to eliminate the CMs. What the computer can do is locate your daughter exiting the ride and text her an offer good for 20% off plush at that one locale in the next 30 minutes with her smart phone.

Again, people focus on one aspect and don't put it altogether. I don't know if its ignorance (and there is plenty here that I do not understand) or petulance and Pixie Dust or what ... but very few seem to look at the whole picture ... the bands, FP+, your smart phone and tablets ... how they are all going to be networked and targeted on you and your children.

Does anyone here really think they're spending $1.5 billion and counting on upgrading door locks and creating MagicBands?

Look at the whole picture and if then you don't have as least some questions, you're awfully naive.

But, hey, I just posted a link to a scholarly article written by three leading authorities on COPPA and within five minutes or so, you (now, I'm just talking about you Monty) were sure that nothing they were wrting about applied.

You're wrong.

Actually, yes, I'm a speed-reader. My work requires me to read, comprehend and analyse vast amounts of textual information in the course of my daily routine.

The COPPA rules only apply to personal identifying information input onto a website by a child under the age of 13. No matter how many times you read it that basic starting point doesn't change. The rest of the rules apply to what can and cannot be done with information obtained in that manner from said child. Direct from your link [emphasis where applicable mine]:

"Revisions to the COPPA Rule

Applicability of the Rule

The COPPA Rule applies to both commercial websites and online services directed to children that collect personal information from a child. The Rule also applies to an online service that targets a general audience if that company has actual knowledge that it is collecting or maintaining personal information from a child.
In the 2011 NPRM, the FTC clarified that the existing Rule already covers the host of emerging technologies that connect online, including mobile applications that allow children to play network connected games, engage in social networking, make purchases online, receive behaviorally targeted advertisements, or interact with other content or services, as well as Internet-enabled gaming platforms, voice-over-Internet ("VoIP") protocol services, and Internet-enabled location-based services. The Rule also covers some types of texting programs that connect online, including mobile apps that enable users to send text messages from their web-enabled devices without routing through a carrier-issued phone number, and companies' premium texting and coupon texting programs that register users online and send text messages from the Internet to users' mobile phone numbers. Thus, no changes were made to the Rule on this point."

Collecting information from a child is distinctly different from collecting information about a child.

Separately from that, Disney released almost immediately after the Congressman's letter was published that they would not use their data-mined information to market to children. So sending a child an "offer good for 20% off plush at that one locale" is something they've specifically stated they won't do. So, until such time as you [now I'm talking about you, @WDW1974 ;)] can actually demonstrate that they intend to or have actually done so, I'm done.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

You're wrong.

Don't let me keep you from the sun,it's still about 5 degrees here with the wind chill and the Flyers game doesn't start until 6pm (yes, I'm one of the dozen or so people who are actually thrilled that the NHL is back) so I've got nothing to do. I still don't fully understand the consent thing. I am still viewing it like a website where you can set up an account like the Disney games sites. Once the parent sets up the kid's account they are in the system. They then have a profile and play games. Are you saying that every time Disney sends a message to a kid they have to get consent first? I'm not trying to be ignorant, petulant or pixie dusted. Just a little confused.

Forget about consent for a minute. COPPA is for kids under 13. How many people give their kid under 13 a smartphone? Maybe a lot do, I have no clue. Do kids in elementary school really have smart phones? I'm out of touch with the tween crowd. My kids are only 3 and 6 but I can't see the 6 year old having a smart phone any time soon. This has been my question from the beginning of this discussion. How do you actually reach the kids? Assuming they don't have a smartphone it has to be through mom and dad right?

spaceghost

You're wrong.

I'll leave the COPPA analysis to those more informed and inclined to do the research. However, as a parent, I can say that if the big nefarious evil corporation tactic that we're all worked up about is direct marketing to my under 13 y/o children via cell phone, I'm not that worried. The kids are already inundated with marketing as soon as we hit WDW property - be it walking by or through a store, smelling the popcorn on Main Street, seeing another little girl all made up as Belle thanks to BBB, or watching a family eat Mickey Bars, etc. We're on vacation at Disney World - they've already got a massive case of the "wants." An additional text message while we're in the area of a store isn't going to make that worse. If my 10 y/o daughter (who actually doesn't have a cell phone yet, but is probably getting close...) gets a text that she can go buy a discounted plush, and she decides to use her budgeted vacation allowance on that, then so be it. Of course, that's just our family - I'm sure there are others that could be more easily exploited by this...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'll leave the COPPA analysis to those more informed and inclined to do the research. However, as a parent, I can say that if the big nefarious evil corporation tactic that we're all worked up about is direct marketing to my under 13 y/o children via cell phone, I'm not that worried. The kids are already inundated with marketing as soon as we hit WDW property - be it walking by or through a store, smelling the popcorn on Main Street, seeing another little girl all made up as Belle thanks to BBB, or watching a family eat Mickey Bars, etc. We're on vacation at Disney World - they've already got a massive case of the "wants." An additional text message while we're in the area of a store isn't going to make that worse. If my 10 y/o daughter (who actually doesn't have a cell phone yet, but is probably getting close...) gets a text that she can go buy a discounted plush, and she decides to use her budgeted vacation allowance on that, then so be it. Of course, that's just our family - I'm sure there are others that could be more easily exploited by this...

Don't forget those light up things before a nighttime parade. The guy comes up and flashes them right in front of your kids. Talk about direct marketing;)

John

Funny, I don't wear a watch. And I'm always on time. I use my iPhone and the alarm feature.

I know a few psychology professionals who would disagree with your self-assessment.

;)

Really? Are you one? And you could make that assesment on just that one statement? Sigmund Frued I presume?
Another statement I made would be in direct opposite of YOUR assesment...."while on vacation I dont care what time it is" OCD isnt a choicer as far as I know.....weather your on vacation or not OCD dosnt take vacations. Giving the fact that you know nothing of my life other then that I respect people who make an appointment with me in my professional life. You may not be a psychologist in real life....you shouldnt play one on this board either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom