Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

miles1

I agree. I was curious so I asked the director about the sign, thinking it was more preemptive but he told me it was totally reactionary due to many students (again preschoolers) bringing in their phones. It's insane ...

It blew my mind and feel it can be viewed as a microcosm of the current world and maybe this is why their is legit concern over MyMagic ... too many kids under 13 have phones/devices etc ...

My DD's school has already mandated iPads for all grades down to fifth, and plans to go lower next year. As you can imagine, there's not as much studying going on with them as there is communicating with friends through face time or playing games.

I have to wonder if the school admins have ever raised a teenager.

Captain Chaos

I have a lot to learn and I guess I only have a few years to catch up;). A couple of questions if you dont mind: Those iPod touches connect to the Internet? My cousin's kid has one. I thought it just played music and videos. So that thing is pretty much an IPhone that can't make phone calls? Do you need a data plan with that thing too? I assume these kids have e-mail addresses too. I just got myself an iPhone in 2011. Before that I was still rocking an old school Razr which just made phone calls and texts if you had some time on your hands. On the Disney wristband front if I sign up my kid in my magic+ but don't provide their e-mail address or cell phone number (if they do have them) Disney can't reach them right? Is there a direct connection between the Disney park App with the wait times and stuff and the bands? In order to get the Disney park app do you need to be over 12? Do you need to provide an e-mail address? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to understand the technology.

That's absurd. Why would anyone let a preschool kid have a cell phone? My kids like to play with my phone if they can get their hands on it, but I've never seen any kids that age with their own phone.

I have an iPod touch... no data plan needed... Just connect into a wifi service and you can connect into the internet... I guess you can get a data plan to access the internet without use of wifi.. Basically, the iPod touch is an iPhone without the camera and phone capabilities, though maybe newer versions have a camera built in? Mine doesn't.. but it is a few years old...

Goofyernmost

I agree. I was curious so I asked the director about the sign, thinking it was more preemptive but he told me it was totally reactionary due to many students (again preschoolers) bringing in their phones. It's insane ...

It blew my mind and feel it can be viewed as a microcosm of the current world and maybe this is why their is legit concern over MyMagic ... too many kids under 13 have phones/devices etc ...
Where do we fit in there that it isn't Disney's fault that the parents, if you can call them that, let there children have that kind of stuff at an earlier and earlier age. However, I do see a possible need if both parents work outside of the home, which seems to be the norm now. I cannot fault the parents for that part of it, but I can fault them for not controlling their phone usage and then trying to blame Disney if they get connected to a merchandising push. The phone does not know the age of the person holding it.

Genie of the Lamp

36930l.jpg

Substitute these guys with the Burbank executives and have Staggs instead say: "And then I said Let's lower park admission ticket prices".

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have an iPod touch... no data plan needed... Just connect into a wifi service and you can connect into the internet... I guess you can get a data plan to access the internet without use of wifi.. Basically, the iPod touch is an iPhone without the camera and phone capabilities, though maybe newer versions have a camera built in? Mine doesn't.. but it is a few years old...

Thanks. So with an IPod touch and wifi in all the parks now kids can connect to the Internet and get potential ads for merchandise pushed to them.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Thanks. So with an IPod touch and wifi in all the parks now kids can connect to the Internet and get potential ads for merchandise pushed to them.
Only if their parents permit them to provide the required information to enable the push.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have a lot to learn and I guess I only have a few years to catch up;). A couple of questions if you dont mind: Those iPod touches connect to the Internet? My cousin's kid has one. I thought it just played music and videos. So that thing is pretty much an IPhone that can't make phone calls? Do you need a data plan with that thing too?

An iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the Phone and GPS in a slightly different case. But they still can do assisted GPS pretty good. The last generation also gave the iPhone a better processor.. but before they were very similar.

I assume these kids have e-mail addresses too

email is optional and independent for iPods. We allowed our kids devices long before we let them have their own email accounts.

On the Disney wristband front if I sign up my kid in my magic+ but don't provide their e-mail address or cell phone number (if they do have them) Disney can't reach them right? Is there a direct connection between the Disney park App with the wait times and stuff and the bands?

They are part of an integrated system - generally you 'sign in' to the App with the same account you use on Disney.com sites. I don't know if they will require people that are purely managed accounts to have their own disney.com profile. The geek would say 'yes' - the user experience guy would say requiring EVERYONE to have a profile created even if they are going to be solely managed by someone else will be a major usability hurdle. This will be an interesting thing to monitor...

merry68

This is what everyone should be upset about, regardless of their opinions on the privacy issues.

Even with standby queues for every single attraction, there will not be enough FP+ passes for any given day in any given park to meet demand. Period.

Therefore, the logical outcome of FP+ is obvious: it will eventually become available only to guests who stay on property. And Disney will spend big bucks promoting it, instead of using those funds to fix their aging infrastructure or build new E-ticket attractions.

Welcome to the exclusive top-tier Disney theme park vacation of the 21st century.

Kinda reminds of being on the Titanic. In steerage.

merry68

I have been sitting on this info for months because I really thought that it would come up somewhere here. Maybe not in this thread ... maybe? Who knows? But because I am into conspiracy theories and all (right, @Monty? are you out building a snow Canuck again?) and because I have not seen or heard one person mention this, I figure why not put it out there as well.

No talking sensors in doorways or WDW being the Pedophile's Kingdom of the World or such ... let's go to another topic at least briefly.

It involves the woman married to the dude who doesn't know how to dress for bigtime professional appearances. Weird, especially, given Nick Franklin's pre-Disney career at Goldman Sachs (doesn't it always wind up with a tie to the Street?)

Yes, @TP2000 ... your pal who needs a personal shopper from South Coast Plaza or the Beverly Center (think he lives in Santa Monica, so that would be closer) has a very interesting wife as well. One with her own past at TWDC.

Kathy Franklin worked for Disney from 1998 until 2009 when she left, albeit with a healthy consulting contract.

I'll just read you (and retype, due to my computer's 'funny' relationship with the WDWMAGIC.com site) a quote from THR on 8/9/11.

''Tapped to build the Avatar brand, Kathy Franklin has been named president of franchise development at James Cameron and Jon Landau's Lighstorm [sic] Entertainment. The hire signifies Lightstorm's commmitment, in collaboration with 20th Century Fox, to grow the Avatar name beyond the traditional licensing and merchandising avenues.''

Avatar at DAK was announced on 9/20/11.

Now ... anyone think this was a 'present' for Nick to thank him for this huge new revenue stream he had helped concoct for TWDC?

Y'all discuss. It's a beautiful day in paradise and I'm going out to enjoy!

This spins my head.... who got the best deal on this? Disney? Cameron?

TP2000

This spins my head.... who got the best deal on this? Disney? Cameron?

I think Mrs. Franklin got the best deal. At least short-term.

She got a President title at a swanky creative office in Santa Monica. And six weeks after she arrived she got Disney to buy off on a big theme park gig that is going nowhere and sinking into obscurity while the sequel movies slip further out by several years, meaning she doesn't have much work to do, but she gets the big Prez salary from the Cameron folks.

Score for Mrs. Franklin, she's no fool!

At least until the Avatarland thing gets formally canned by Disney and she's hawking blue alien lunchboxes at WalMart for Avatar 2 in 2017. ;)

But I'm also a winner in this! For the past two Halloween's I've been reporting here on my unscientific results from the fact that absolutely no one shows up at my door trick-or-treating in an Avatar costume. I had bemoaned the fact that the brand-awareness of this movie with the trick-or-treat demographic was absolutely nil. Now I finally have someone to blame for this... Kathy Franklin, President of Franchise Development, Lightstorm Entertainment.

M.rudolf

I think Mrs. Franklin got the best deal. At least short-term.

She got a President title at a swanky creative office in Santa Monica. And six weeks after she arrived she got Disney to buy off on a big theme park gig that is going nowhere and sinking into obscurity while the sequel movies slip further out by several years, meaning she doesn't have much work to do, but she gets the big Prez salary from the Cameron folks.

Score for Mrs. Franklin, she's no fool!

At least until the Avatarland thing gets formally canned by Disney and she's hawking blue alien lunchboxes at WalMart for Avatar 2 in 2017. ;)

But I'm also a winner in this! For the past two Halloween's I've been reporting here on my unscientific results from the fact that absolutely no one shows up at my door trick-or-treating in an Avatar costume. I had bemoaned the fact that the brand-awareness of this movie with the trick-or-treat demographic was absolutely nil. Now I have someone to blame for this... Kathy Franklin, President of Franchise Development, Lightstorm Entertainment.
Last year I thought one of the trick or treaters was dressed as an avatar alien, the kid firmly corrected me and said he was a smurf.

M.rudolf

Kathy is a highly intelligent woman but she's really a figurehead, she fields all contracts,deals and calls before Cameron approves them. She's basically a very intelligent buffer. She also is a great person to deal with, she's doing the best with what she has now

M.rudolf

I've got a question who doesn't bring a cellphone or any electronics in the parks? I'm just wondering if that's weird of me to do. I tried a cellphone but last time I got no service so now I just go with a wallet, is that unusual?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom