Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Don't forget those light up things before a nighttime parade. The guy comes up and flashes them right in front of your kids. Talk about direct marketing;)
That style of marketing doesn't require any of the data-mining that '74 is so panicked about, that's purely putting shiny objects in front of kids and letting nature take its course! :p

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know why there would be 2 passive tags and the radio: I hadn't heard that that's the mix (I'm not sure that any of the technical specs are really public at this time). I expect its 1 passive and 1 active tag, along with a wi-fi device. I think it's something along these lines:

The FCC filing for the device listed it as having two passive tags, one UHF, and one HF. Seperately it references the 2.4GHz radio. See the FCC filings linked from wdwmagic's article here - http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/fastp...isney-'magic-band'-rfid-bracelet-revealed.htm

A passive RFID doesn't need to be tapped on anything and doesn't require power -- it can be read from several feet away, and is easy to read with some precision when a pair of readers is used. The theft control systems at most major retailers work this way. This is what's most likely used for general guest movement.

Its true that RFID range can be more than just tap distance - it's all based on the design of course. But on an aside, most of those loss prevention systems at retail are not actually RFID - but other radio based technology.. under the umbrella term EAS - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_article_surveillance for a listing of common methods out there. RFID is a successor to these types of systems as RFID is not just 'detection that the tag exists' - but the tag actually carries data that can be read too.

The reason for the different tags is likely different uses. HF is generally looked at as a range of 1m, while UHF tags are looked at as up to 10m. But because they operate on such different frequencies, they have different characteristics when it comes to material interaction (penetration/reflection/etc).

An active system uses power to transmit for some distance. The larger the distance, the more power is required. Transmitting to a distance of 3-6 inches doesn't take very much power, so small batteries could, in theory, last quite a while. This is probably the system they're using for point-of-sale and fast pass returns.

You leave out the important other factor.. frequency :) Higher frequency requires more power.. so that's also in the equation on what you use and it's effectiveness. Frequency is also key because it is what determines how the signal interacts with the physical world.

Powered tags are used in part because they improve the response time and the range of tags. But the FCC info describes the RFID tags in use as passive tags - the battery appears to be for the 2.4GHz radio and whatever IC logic is in the band.

The wi-fi is probably a check system -- they can check via wi-fi to ensure that the active RFID is really in the location where the transaction is taking place.

My theory is the active radio is the 'crowd' or proximity feature. The band could be activated by picking up a signal in the area over the air.. and the active radio just sends out it's ID as a 'hey, I'm here' kind of beacon. Then receivers pick up those announcements and can tell how many bands are in the receiver's area. This allows monitoring of larger areas without having irradiate them with higher power RF. Also, the use of a 'trigger' over the air allows the band to automatically shut it's radio off or put itself in a power save state if it hasn't heard a trigger in a period of time.

Then, the passive RFID tags would be used for more specific 'explicit' transactions that require a direct, one-to-one, or explicit consent transaction. Such as point of sale.. player involvement in a game.. etc. These could be close range or explict tap systems.

Or.. it could be as simple as 'the systems we purchased were incompatible..'.. the door locks they wanted to use use HF.. and the POS systems used UHF :) Could be as simple as that... but not really possible to say from here at this point in time. Since this is a NEW roll-out.. it probably has more to do with different application needs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Before I type this ... am I the only one that has trouble pasting documents, even simple email into this site without it shutting me down and logging me out? Just wondering ... the next post is going to take longer than the 60 seconds I hoped because I'm going to have to type it, but it will be worth it!!!:D

Yes :) The site should not log you out. are you saying your browser closes? Or the webpages change?

This sounds like PICNIC...
Problem In Chair, Not in Computer
:D :D

I will send you a PM with a tip..

flynnibus

Premium Member
Forget about consent for a minute. COPPA is for kids under 13. How many people give their kid under 13 a smartphone? Maybe a lot do, I have no clue. Do kids in elementary school really have smart phones? I'm out of touch with the tween crowd. My kids are only 3 and 6 but I can't see the 6 year old having a smart phone any time soon. This has been my question from the beginning of this discussion. How do you actually reach the kids? Assuming they don't have a smartphone it has to be through mom and dad right?

Yes they do. I've seen kids as young as 3rd grade (9) with iPhones. But what is more realistic is that many that age (and younger) have internet connected devices such as iPods, etc. Heck, I just bought two of my nephews iPod touchs for xmas.. and they are under 8.

Taylor

Yes they do. I've seen kids as young as 3rd grade (9) with iPhones. But what is more realistic is that many that age (and younger) have internet connected devices such as iPods, etc. Heck, I just bought two of my nephews iPod touchs for xmas.. and they are under 8.
You are an awesome uncle I get my cousins giftcards

Genie of the Lamp

The sky is the limit. But in all honesty, I see an 8% increase cause of NFL and with the Fariytall Hall opening later this year. They'll get close to but not reach that $100 mark as that could scare some guests away from going to the parks.

Captain Chaos

The sky is the limit. But in all honesty, I see an 8% increase cause of NFL and with the Fariytall Hall opening later this year. They'll get close to but not reach that $100 mark as that could scare some guests away from going to the parks.
I think they will hit at least $99 and dare Universal to be the first to hit $100... and yet, at the same time, I can see Disney hitting $100 this year...

flynnibus

Premium Member
But, you, and others here do not seem to have a clue about what DYNAMIC means ... and why parents can't give blanket consent over things that they aren't even aware of because an algorthim creates the opportunity in real time. Believe me or not, but this is what concerns Disney Legal ... it isn't all the datamining or the CM who might a molest a child (cause sadly that sometimes happens anyways). It's the company having the ability to ever-change its relationship with your child without your knowledge or consent.

I still don't see why this is such a huge issue. terminology like

"... the information may be used to contact you via the contact methods you have provided, including email addresses, SMS, and phone"
"... to contact you for advertisements or promotional offers..."
"... collect information such as location, purchase history, and services consumed to create a customer profile which may be used to evaluate products or services or create new future offerings by Disney or its partners..."

Would be used to address 'how' data is used without trying to list every permutation used.

tomman710

You aren't joking. Last week, no lie, my son's preschool put up a sign banning cell phones. PRESCHOOL!!

ULPO46

Guys why don't we just put the price over 500 dollars a ticket. No what the hell why not 1000. Guess what. We don't have to spend a dime because shame on us we remeber the golden days of cheap ticket prices. But let's look at this the dollar once again dropped in value so logically they have to raise their prices up. Then so that there is no competition in who makes more money UNI and sea world start to play along. Thus an increase happens every 1-2 years. Just logic.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I have a lot to learn and I guess I only have a few years to catch up;). A couple of questions if you dont mind: Those iPod touches connect to the Internet? My cousin's kid has one. I thought it just played music and videos. So that thing is pretty much an IPhone that can't make phone calls? Do you need a data plan with that thing too? I assume these kids have e-mail addresses too. I just got myself an iPhone in 2011. Before that I was still rocking an old school Razr which just made phone calls and texts if you had some time on your hands. On the Disney wristband front if I sign up my kid in my magic+ but don't provide their e-mail address or cell phone number (if they do have them) Disney can't reach them right? Is there a direct connection between the Disney park App with the wait times and stuff and the bands? In order to get the Disney park app do you need to be over 12? Do you need to provide an e-mail address? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to understand the technology.

You aren't joking. Last week, no lie, my son's preschool put up a sign banning cell phones. PRESCHOOL!!

That's absurd. Why would anyone let a preschool kid have a cell phone? My kids like to play with my phone if they can get their hands on it, but I've never seen any kids that age with their own phone.

icecreamrules

If I remember correctly from our visit to Great Wolf Lodge, each member of your party had to wear the wristband for admission to the waterpark, and lifeguards would keep an eye out for people without the bands. Like the old EMH wristbands, they want to make sure that once on, they can't be taken off and put on by someone else. I think there was also something like a $50 charge for a lost band to be replaced during your stay.
There are already aluminum shield RFID protectors for passports and credit cards, eventually someone will make protectors for bracelets as well, that will simply snap around the info transmitter. Hey, I just thought of my next get-rich-quick idea.....

tomman710

That's absurd. Why would anyone let a preschool kid have a cell phone? My kids like to play with my phone if they can get their hands on it, but I've never seen any kids that age with their own phone.

I agree. I was curious so I asked the director about the sign, thinking it was more preemptive but he told me it was totally reactionary due to many students (again preschoolers) bringing in their phones. It's insane ...

It blew my mind and feel it can be viewed as a microcosm of the current world and maybe this is why their is legit concern over MyMagic ... too many kids under 13 have phones/devices etc ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm going for 11% I don't think they ever raised an even number

Sounds about right. 11% puts them at $99. That is probably the psychological barrier they will bump up against. Of course they could just raise multi-day passes more. My prediction is single day to $99 and a solid 7% or 8% increase in multi-day passes. Uni will follow to $99.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree. I was curious so I asked the director about the sign, thinking it was more preemptive but he told me it was totally reactionary due to many students (again preschoolers) bringing in their phones. It's insane ...

It blew my mind and feel it can be viewed as a microcosm of the current world and maybe this is why their is legit concern over MyMagic ... too many kids under 13 have phones/devices etc ...

Kids today...god help us all. That's what my parents said about me growing up too I guess.

On the Disney front, as long as they don't allow kids to buy anything with their device they still have to go through mom and dad for the cash.

GrumpyFan

I know it was part of the discussion a few pages back, maybe even more than once. But, I'm not crazy about having to wear the armband. I like the idea of the technology, but I gave up wearing a watch several years ago, largely thanks to Disney. I was a watch wearer for many years, but discovered while on vacation at WDW, that I was a slave to my watch, and decided to change that while visiting mostly due to the sweatiness at first, but soon learned that I liked being free of it. So, I'm a bit leery of this new band and having to wear it on my wrist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom