Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
People who value their time like it when they don't have to hassle with routing around for the credit card just buy some drinks and popcorn, and when they don't have to mess around with paper admission tickets and fast pass tickets. Sure, some folks will plan a vacation just to use the MagicBand tech, maybe only in the hundreds or thousands, but almost any marketing move would be expected to draw in some customers. And more importantly, guests who participate in the program will probably be more likely to return.

Honestly, the only people I could ever see planning a trip that will cost thousands of dollars in order to wear a Disney tracking bracelet would be the most OCD of Pixie Dust addicts (the ones who live on the DIS ... and think Lou Mongello is a god ... and have never experienced anything -- even a bowel movement -- at WDW that was less than MAGICal). ... People are not going to be planning trips over this. They just aren't.

Well . . . all I can say is that DLR treats various types of special guests very well and they do know how to send special little items in the mail.

Well ... as I've often said in the past DLR and WDW may be related, but sometimes you'd never know it.

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm not going to go with the obvious guess being some healthcare related profession (I think doctors show patients the second hand and ask them if it is going clockwise to diagnose dystempus), but I'm going to say you were either an underwater cement pourer who has to be able to see the second hand for timing the job just right, or you were a fulltime employee of Colonial Williamsburg where anachronistic garb such as digital wrist watches are banned.
Close.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sounds like I missed a lot of fun. I guess it's what happens when you become disheartened with something you once loved. My AP run finally expires this fall and it won't be renewed. This waste of money called NextGen is the final nail in the coffin.

You should know by now that any discussion I am involved in is going to be loaded with FUN!

I feel bad that you feel that way ... but I do understand it. I have had that AP since 1982 ... a VERY long time. I have spent what's (in my mind anyway) an obscene amount of money at WDW. And for the first time I am seriously wondering whether I'll renew. I've felt this way for 5-6 years, but every year I wind up doing it.

But when they offered newbie DVCers PAPs for the same $399 my Charter renewal was this fall because they're losing many of their DVCers to UNI and SW and BGT and the beaches ... well, that left a very sick taste in my mouth. I actually made my first and ONLY (yes, REALLY!, to all my critics out there) complaint letter. And while I've had a dialogue with folks at WDW over this, I've felt very much that they were going through the motions, saying how much they care and value my loyalty while not promising to do a damn thing for Charter APers... and the bottom line is I can get in FREE practically any day of the year because I have lots of wonderful friends who work for TWDC. ... So, I'm really wondering if it's worth giving Disney the money for my AP or not.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
End of March. But considering the lack of attention about COPPA in general... and the built in image most people have of Disney (blind trust).. I'm not expecting much ado... Heck if the detriot CEOs managed to dodge the bullets after that train wreck, this should be a cake walk.
Lack of attention about COPPA? There's nothing to pay attention to. It's a red herring floated by '74 to give credence to the rest of his rant. I suppose he assumes [apparently correctly] that the vast majority won't actually go and read it.

COPPA applies to websites that collect identifying information from children under 13 years of age. The information they are not allowed to collect from children can be collected with "verifiable consent from a parent".

The wristbands and the infrastructure that is or will be deployed at WDW do not constitute a website and collected identifying data about children is not being collected from them over the internet [it may be being input by their parents over the internet, but that's not covered by COPPA].

WDW1974

Original Poster
WDW1974 said, "Nah, I disagree (naturally). I think many diehard fanbois (many who have never been to Anaheim and certainly not to the international resorts) are enamored by it and think it is so detailed and beautiful and MAGICal. I think for the average guest it is just a prettier version of 'more of the same'. ... They spent almost half a billion dollars and didn't create one worthwhile, must see attraction."

I agree completely although I wonder how many of the general public realize the cost. Basically, I think that people will walk through and think, "Wow, this looks cool. Are there any other rides besides LM though?" I say this because I loved the theming of IoA but wondered why areas like Jurassic Park and Lost Continent (pre-HP) only had one main ride. I actually knew how much the park cost and thought it was great but did wonder why they didn't add a couple more rides. Sorry if I took too much out of 74's post.

Well, JP is about to get two new attractions (one a MAJOR one) so that will take care of that ... and Lost Continent really barely exists anymore.

WDW1974

Original Poster
These are probably the same people who feel that it is a waste of time to unzip before peeing.

I don't feel it's a waste of time. I just have a team of fanboi volunteers who take care of that, so I don't have to be bothered.

There are somethings that you can't avoid. Pulling out a credit card is not a hassle to any normal person.

Normal?!?!??!??????????????????????????????

you are on a Disney fan site message board ...

fillerup

So recently my wife and I uber-planned our next trip to Disney World. That is to say that about noon, we noticed it was a beautiful day and decided to go to AK for a few hours. We grabbed a couple bottles of water from the fridge so we wouldn't have to part with any cash and off we went.

It took us a combined 16 seconds to clear the turnstiles (whew, can't wait for some Magical Manacles to save us some more time). Got a fp for Safari and then caught the bird show. Looped the great ape trail, rode our safari and headed home.

This all got me thinking. When MyMagic++++ is up and running like the finest of Rolexes, what will this mean for us? When I log in at the gate, will an alarm go off at some server farm and an IT guy runs his algorithm to see that I haven't spent any money in my last 16 visits and pushes a big red button that precludes me from getting fast passes?

The data mining aspects that have been discussed thus far would certainly allow for perks for the whales and crumbs for the minnows. Since I'm perceived as a minnow (although that might not be true since I always pay with dead presidents), how crummy or crumby will my experience become?

Just wondering how far the carrot/stick thing possibly go. Not really expecting answers, just sort of thinking out loud.

PS - Apropos of nothing, for the only time in our countless times on KS, there were three lions on the rock - a male and two females. Man, that Simba leads a damn good life.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not so sure I'd agree with that, I certainly would like to use a MagicBand during my next visit. I could park hop easily, buy stuff super fast, such as snacks, meals, merchandise, all without having to scrounge around for my wallet. Think about how many interactions would become so much more easy:

1. Ticket entrance, maybe 2-3 times a day if you park hop.
3. Maybe 2-3 meals a day and snacks/drinks
4. Buying that special sweater in the Norway gift shop.

And not only do you save time getting out your wallet, but the whole stupid line moves so much faster!

I am trying to figure out why in the world you'd assume lines would move quicker with this. Some people will have bands, some won't. Some will RFID tickets. Some (at least at first) won't. Some (likely few) CMs will understand what's going on. Many won't. ... I actually see longer lines resulting. Much like FP has resulted in longer lines.

There's also the psychological factor of whipping out a $50/credit cards for drinks and popcorn for the group, yes, the monetary amount doesn't change with the MagicBand, but I think some guests wouldn't want to think about how Disney takes advantage of guests every time they buy a drink.

So, you want to be able to not keep track of how much Disney is taking advantage of you?
You must have lots of truly disposable income.

Call me crazy, but I think I'll love the MagicBand thing and hope that it comes to DLR.

OK, you're crazy and I hope it doesn't (and I don't see it happening at all).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So recently my wife and I uber-planned our next trip to Disney World. That is to say that about noon, we noticed it was a beautiful day and decided to go to AK for a few hours. We grabbed a couple bottles of water from the fridge so we wouldn't have to part with any cash and off we went.

It took us a combined 16 seconds to clear the turnstiles (whew, can't wait for some Magical Manacles to save us some more time). Got a fp for Safari and then caught the bird show. Looped the great ape trail, rode our safari and headed home.

This all got me thinking. When MyMagic++++ is up and running like the finest of Rolexes, what will this mean for us? When I log in at the gate, will an alarm go off at some server farm and an IT guy runs his algorithm to see that I haven't spent any money in my last 16 visits and pushes a big red button that precludes me from getting fast passes?

The data mining aspects that have been discussed thus far would certainly allow for perks for the whales and crumbs for the minnows. Since I'm perceived as a minnow (although that might not be true since I always pay with dead presidents), how crummy or crumby will my experience become?

Just wondering how far the carrot/stick thing possibly go. Not really expecting answers, just sort of thinking out loud.

PS - Apropos of nothing, for the only time in our countless times on KS, there were three lions on the rock - a male and two females. Man, that Simba leads a damn good life.

IMHO, the biggest drawback you will see is that when you arrive there will be no FP anymore so if the safari's inventory of FP+ reservations are sold out due to people booking 60 days in advance its the standby line for you. Many believe the standby lines will be even longer so you are facing a potential longer wait. If its not a busy day it's possible you can still reserve a FP+ reservation either online or at a park kiosk. In that case your biggest change is your "fashionable" wristband. I don't see any way the system will penalize you for not spending more money. If anything it will be seeking ways to get you to spend more. You may get targeted.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Edited your post for my response:

1. I agree with not wanting instant familiarity, unless I have stayed at a resort frequently. You should hear me put telemarketers in their place if they call and use my first name. If I don't know you, it's Ms or Mrs ....

Yes, I like familiarity with people I know. I'm not a formal Spirit. But with strangers? And in a forced and fake kind of way? No way. It's like the people who truly believe that Disney as a corporation loves them and that every CM who tells them to 'have a MAGICal night' really means it and likes them and isn't telling them to 'go blank yourself'. Unless you know me, it will always be Mr. Spirit or Sir.

2.I'm not a charter AP holder, but my BIL & SIL are - does that count?

YES!!! They are the first folks I have ever heard of being Charters online in over a decade! ... We should schedule a meet and greet!

3. I wear a watch every day, sometimes 24 hrs a day - I have a waterproof indiglo so I can check the time while swimming, or if I wake up during the night. But, I once worked in a profession where a watch with a sweep second hand was mandatory, so it's habit. My children do not wear watches, except as a fashion statement. I also have multiple stop-watches, but that's a different issue.

I don't wear one 24 hours a day. But I have one now on. I almost always wear one when I go out, no matter for what. And it's very interesting to me how we have a generation of kids and 20-somethings (and oldtimers who think they're hip) who use their iPhones for everything ... except driving, of course, like the idiot 20-something gal that almost hit me an hour ago because she couldn't put the thing down.

flynnibus

Premium Member
COPPA applies to websites that collect identifying information from children under 13 years of age. The information they are not allowed to collect from children can be collected with "verifiable consent from a parent".

The wristbands and the infrastructure that is or will be deployed at WDW do not constitute a website and collected identifying data about children is not being collected from them over the internet [it may be being input by their parents over the internet, but that's not covered by COPPA].

Ehh.. a MAJOR component of the MyMagic+ experience is.. suprise.. the MyMagic Experience WEBSITE. You know.. where people actually go and arrange their vacation? All ticket holders, including children, have profiles in this system. That is where COPPA comes into play. Oh, and we have those pesky mobile applications too. The online aspect is integral to the solution.

Additionally, COPPA has scope related to MARKETING to children.

So it very much is in play wrt MyMagic.

I personally don't think it's a huge thing because basically the HIGH level message is.. you need parental consent. Ok, since we don't have many children under 13 visiting or planning trips to WDW without their parents.. I don't think it's a show stopper. The worst case scenario is maybe they didn't incorporate the controls and features in their products that they needed to comply with COPPA issues.. but that would be cost/time issues.. not that the whole system is going to run fowl of COPPA at it's core.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Meh. I'd wear it, and I'd be fine with putting the band in my pocket, still *much* easier to use than credit cards. They'll probably start selling the RFID chips in other stuff besides the wrist bands, such as something that hangs on your neck, or a special pin or something. There's all sorts of creative possibilities.

Also, it won't be long until they figure how to make an RFID add-on for cell phones so you can use your cell phone to do this.

Why not just plant a chip under the skin? Isn't that what folks now do with puppies?

Seriously, if using a credit card is too much work, I am hard-pressed to come up with a retort that isn't going to come off as insulting so I'll just leave it at that and let people make their own opinions.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I stopped wearing a watch daily years ago. It's all on my iPhone, which I check more often than I ever used to check my wristwatch in the 20th century.

Funny thing is that I still wear a wristwatch when I 'dress up' to go out for a nice dinner or an evening event. If I'm wearing a sport coat or a suit and tie, I'll put on my fancy wristwatch. I did wear a wristwatch to DCA this past Christmas while wearing slacks and a sport coat, for a nice dinner I went to at Carthay Circle Theater.

But wearing a wristwatch for a day at a theme park? Not since Clinton was in the White House.

Yep, there's one of the oldtimers trying to be a hipster with his iPhone that I was just talking 'bout!:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
For what it's worth, it was Nick Franklin who was out there in front of the TV cameras on media launch day for MyMagic+ a few weeks ago. (Looking like a schleppy cubicle drone who had just rolled up his sleeves to change the printer toner cartridge instead of a brilliant exec in proper attire launching a Billion dollar customer initiative, but I digress.)

TP, I love your fashion sense. You have a way with the obvious, though, that so many folks probably don't pay attention to. ... The man should have been dressed in a very high end suit (at least Bloomie's or Nordstrom) and had some polish to him. Does Disney think because it has Walmarted the product and attracts many Walmarted guests that folks want someone that looks like he could be 'my friend Nick ... you know, the guy who sells Chevys for AutoNation.'

I haven't seen Jim McPhee as the public face of MyMagic+ in the media, at least not from my remote SoCal location. Perhaps McPhee has done local interviews with the Sentinel or blogs I don't know about?

MacPhee has been the public face of NEXT GEN in O-Town. But Franklin is the Global Next Gen dude.

It will be interesting to see how Disney's execs approach additional media exposure from now until Iger responds to the congressional questions, and then immediately after the congressional response, which will generate media interest on its own. I'm sure any public mention of MyMagic+ is now going to be on a very, very short leash with the media and bloggers.

If the congressional thing blows up into something of a national story, perhaps they push McPhee out front to be the spokesman? But if the congressional thing blows over instead, then maybe Nick Franklin continues to schmooze for the TV cameras?

I think there's going to be considerably more media attention on this ... just a Spirited feeling :D:D:D

It would be nice if Franklin's secretary could call up the Nordstrom personal shopper at the Florida Mall and have a basic blue blazer and a few neckties sent over to Franklin's office before that happens though. His jacket size looks to be about a 42 Short, if that helps. :cool:

That is some good stuff!

He may also want to order some extra undies and pants just in case he can't run over to the Tangled facilities in time after dealing with the media. Accidents happen.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ehh.. a MAJOR component of the MyMagic+ experience is.. suprise.. the MyMagic Experience WEBSITE. You know.. where people actually go and arrange their vacation? All ticket holders, including children, have profiles in this system. That is where COPPA comes into play. Oh, and we have those pesky mobile applications too. The online aspect is integral to the solution.

Additionally, COPPA has scope related to MARKETING to children.

So it very much is in play wrt MyMagic.

I personally don't think it's a huge thing because basically the HIGH level message is.. you need parental consent. Ok, since we don't have many children under 13 visiting or planning trips to WDW without their parents.. I don't think it's a show stopper. The worst case scenario is maybe they didn't incorporate the controls and features in their products that they needed to comply with COPPA issues.. but that would be cost/time issues.. not that the whole system is going to run fowl of COPPA at it's core.

This. The whole COPPA debate is pretty much academic since they will be getting parental consent when the parents sign up little Billy and Jane for My Magic plus and FP+ reservations. The opt out will be not using the system which of course means no FP+, longer lines and no magical wristband for Billy and Jane. Watching your kid cry because some other kid got a wristband they didnt get that makes a cannon fire on a pirate ship is no magical vacation. How many people will opt out? The interesting part of COPPA to me is there are some additional requirements to disclose what information you are collecting and what you are using it for if it's from kids under 13 even if the parent consents. That is the piece that probably makes Disney squirm a little.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So in your Spirited and expert opinion, considering Congress is already on Disney's case about this and they're not even halfway into roll-out yet (hell, I'm tempted to say roll-out is barely 1/4 of the way done), what's the timeline for this project's ultimate demise?

It won't die.

I've said it before. It can't. There is no Plan B.

Disney may be forced via Congress or the courts or simply people's reactions to MORPH (remember Project Morpho?) to change aspects of it. I believe that is basically a sure thing.

But demise? Not happening.

Animaniac93-98

To deal wth concerns over security and privacy, especially with regard to children, Disney has enlisted a group of appealing, young British school children to help send a goodwill PR message about the secure, and reasonable handling of customer profiles:

Disney's efforts, so far, have proven unsuccessful.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why not just plant a chip under the skin? Isn't that what folks now do with puppies?

Seriously, if using a credit card is too much work, I am hard-pressed to come up with a retort that isn't going to come off as insulting so I'll just leave it at that and let people make their own opinions.

@ParentsOf4 posted something about those implanted chips causing cancer 100 or so pages back. Not worth the risk for a few FP+ reservations;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom