Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Californian Elitist

I have had In-N-Out, i went to one in Arizona before going to the Fiesta Bowl this year.

What is Tommy's?

And yeah i am thinking about adding on a few days at DLR, my free weekend does not work at a Disney resort

Tommy's is like Pink's, but with less choices. It's a chili burger/hot dog joint. They're delicious.

I hope a DLR visit will work with your seemingly tight schedule.

Report until your heart is content.. you will be the one banned here... since you have been banned before... So, enjoy it while it lasts....

I guess i should feel bad for you but I dont. I mean children have an excuse to be so devoid of logic, rational thought, or common sense. You on the other hand are just actively dimwitted. Also you are a proud delusional person.

M.rudolf

Well seeing as he is ranting about something he has no knowledge of. Is crying about how evil the datamining is. And other nonsensical rants I have a right to call him out on it. Never said he was a bad parent though, and will never say that.
Data mining can be evil if used improperly, as far as rants go Disneyhead is the last to do it, I love how you have the right to call him on it though, sounds like a case of I'm better than everyone and I bet you can't win this peeing contest to me. You didn't only call him out you made fun of him for looking out for his kid, that's a line most people won't and shouldn't cross

WDW1974

Original Poster
and how bad was the PR hit for any of these companies?
Acxiom
Epsilon (Alliance Data Systems)
Equifax
Experian
Harte-Hanks
Intelius
FICO
Merkle
Meredith Corp
So bad.. that before today you probably had not even heard Markey singled them out too?
We are in a transition period.. during which there is always speculation and media can go up or down on the speculation. Are they excited or worried? Are the painting gloom or sunshine? This stuff happens to everyone.. be it a new Movie.. or Apple's new toy.
I'd be more worried once Disney actually rolls out the programs.. the info is out there.. and then people are still unhappy.
Disney took YEARS of flak over the biometrics system. I doubt it ever really kept people away...

Sorry, @flynnibus.

But there is a huge difference between those companies and TWDC and you are being disingenuous by claiming otherwise.

None of the companies you have listed initiate, cultivate or otherwise engage the under-13 demo ... you know, kids.

The under-13 demo is the precise one TWDC is going after. It is key to this intiative. Being that Markey was behind COPPA, you know that little act that was designed to protect that demographic, to be asking why the Congressman is asking these very valid, very important questions is very, very curious.

Sorry, @flynnibus.

But there is a huge difference between those companies and TWDC and you are being disingenuous by claiming otherwise.

None of the companies you have listed initiate, cultivate or otherwise engage the under-13 demo ... you know, kids.

The under-13 demo is the precise one TWDC is going after. It is key to this intiative. Being that Markey was behind COPPA, you know that little act that was designed to protect that demographic, to be asking why the Congressman is asking these very valid, very important questions is very, very curious.

Such valid and important questions...lol

Yeah it is so important for a congressman to know why Disney wants to know what products people buy? That evil mouse.

Captain Chaos

My charm and wit of course. What did talking about hot dogs and calling people bad parents add?
Wait, you mean name calling and thread derailing are not rational thoughts? Gee, here I thought bulls was adding to the conversation and not trolling... Gee, how stupid am I now... Anyway, enough with the child...

Iger's response cannot come fast enough... Would love to see what he has to say... Though, I doubt this will lead to any kind of visit to Capital Hill...

WDW1974

Original Poster
the rest really wasn't all that worthy of conversation IMO.. but if you insist..

- No I don't have anything to do with this project or anyone involved in it
- I'm not defending how much money is tied up in it - the longer I work in big companies the more numb I become to the incredible inefficiencies that make them bleed tens of millions in tasks that should take fractions of that. No amount of criticism solves these fundamental cultural @%K ups and it's not an interesting conversation to me to rehash just how bad these companies are at this.
- I wasn't defending the money - but countering the petty arguments of how whatever we hate today represents the entire spend.

I felt it was worthy or else I wouldn't have posted it.

But I am glad to know you have nothing to do with this project or the companies involved in it. You do seem heavily preoccupied with the discussion though.

I would agree with you about how companies through money like it is just colored paper. Of course, it does bother me, especially since companies are so predictable (like hiring consultants with track records of destroying other BRANDS because they've got a Goldman Sachs connection, for example, instead of bringing in fresh blood with a fresh perspective).

I also think you may have a point about the entire spend. But I've made my point very clearly: I HATE the whole waste of spending in its totality. This was an incredible waste of funds, the type that should have heads from Staggs on down to MacPhee looking for employment elsewhere (and taking literally a horde of their minions with them). I do think that is worth discussing as WDW crumbles.

They will continue to spend money.. and people will continue to complain they aren't spending money where they think they should. How many restaurants have been gutted and rebuilt in the last 3 years? Why aren't we screaming about the tens of millions spent there that could have been spent on SQ or upkeep? There have been two interactive games done.. and numerous other projects all over already.

And we're we just talking about Carsland coming to DHS? That was discussed with the full knowledge of NextGen in the pipe too.. oh and Avatarland too.

From what you have said - spend is way beyond what they have expected. But I don't think this is going under anyone's radar. No department manages to find an extra 500+ million dollars in cash without the finance guys stepping in. Will this derail future spending? I don't know enough about TWDC to say.. but I also know they can't just stop entirely and have shown in the past they will suck up losses if they have to (EuroDisney). So while it may not be a renaissance.. its not gonna go dark either.

Spending on dining locales, with third-party sponsors, is weak to illustrate Disney's commitment to invest in WDW. ... And we're not talking much about Cars Land or Pandora because Disney isn't doing anything on them that remotely makes you think that they'll be open by 2017-18, while UNI builds massive E-Ticket experiences in year.

The BoD HATES the theme park business and wants to spend as little as possible on the division. If MyMagic+ is a two billion dollar bust, you really believe they'll pay billions more for REAL attractions? That's beyond wishful thinking.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Markey's little privacy group isn't a committee - and it's my understanding they don't have subpoena power because of that (but I am not 100% on that). The moves he is making are SOP for him and not some sign of 'Disney being outted' or something like that. They'll respond, maybe Markey will like the responses or not.. and then keep harassing through other means. But people on this thread have acted like someone just got served and Disney is shaking in their boots top to bottom. I don't believe it...

Don't believe it. Your choice. I may have some breaking news coming out of Burbank for you tomorrow on the matter.

But Disney is concerned. VERY, VERY, VERY concerned (yeah, I used caps to drive that point home!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Rotation of the earth, no. Profit margins of "The World", yes.

And to answer the best Universal centric forum out there is http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/forum.php

Yep. That's an excellent forum that I joined at the urging of friendly Spirits. I just don't have enough time for multiple forums, which is good considering another dying place I used to frequent apparently wants all its old members that it drove away to return. Funny how that happens.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I also think you may have a point about the entire spend. But I've made my point very clearly: I HATE the whole waste of spending in its totality. This was an incredible waste of funds, the type that should have heads from Staggs on down to MacPhee looking for employment elsewhere (and taking literally a horde of their minions with them). I do think that is worth discussing as WDW crumbles.

Its worthy - but you won't find me trying to argue for the obscene spending or justifying why it's 10 dollars instead of 4 dollars. Just too far detached to make reasonable arguments and this is an area that drives me mad with organizations. I've been part of companies where people are trusted to spend properly, and people treat the money as if its their own - and the other end of the spectrum just makes me ed. I don't come online in my free time to be agitated and ed :)

Spending on dining locales, with third-party sponsors, is weak to illustrate Disney's commitment to invest in WDW. ... And we're not talking much about Cars Land or Pandora because Disney isn't doing anything on them that remotely makes you think that they'll be open by 2017-18, while UNI builds massive E-Ticket experiences in year.

I use those examples to illustrate people, as always, are picky about complaining about where spending is done. My point is money is flowing - its just not flowing in the volume and where people want. Same @$%$, different day.

The BoD HATES the theme park business and wants to spend as little as possible on the division. If MyMagic+ is a two billion dollar bust, you really believe they'll pay billions more for REAL attractions? That's beyond wishful thinking.

I am conflicted over your statements here.. how do they allow 500+ million dollar overruns if they hate it so much... unless they are simply handing them the rope.. so to speak.

I mean, there should be ways to scale a project back if overruns are in a problem... especially a project that has multiple aspects like this.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll answer this, then I'm out of here until there has been some housekeeping...

A logical and reasonable method of accommodating all guests would be to:
A) Allow guests to book ADRs no further out than....oh...maybe 90 days for the compulsive planners.
B) Reserve a minimum of 40% of a locations tables for walk-ups/same day.
C) Fully staff every location.

Guests who want to book way in advance in order to get the seating time they want...fine.
But no location should ever be turning away walk-ins because all tables were booked months in advance, or because they are understaffed. That is horrible guest service. Guests who aren't planners, or book a trip last minute should never be punished.
30-60min waits are not unreasonable for walk-ins/same day guests, closed doors are

I'd largely agree with you. I might be more lenient toward Disney and say just leave 25% of tables for day of. But absolutely staff the places.

I loved walking up to places at 5:30 and being told 'we're booked for the night' when they're serving until 9 and over half the dining room is empty.

If people are willing to wait, then you need to be ready to serve ... so in one way I'll go a step further. In the real world if a restaurant closes at 9 and you there at 8:53, you get seated and served. Disney absolutely wants to shut these places down, so even if Le Cellier could serve you its overrated and overpriced steaks if you walked up right before closing, they wouldn't.

Of course, I just have largely stopped giving them my food $$$. They don't deserve them anymore, so let them seat a rube instead of me. Their loss as I tend to class up the place!:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom