Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
One other quiet note released Friday that no one online has seemed to notice.

Disney has announced its shareholders meeting will be held March 6th in Phoenix. So, not Orlando, Anaheim or NYC ... but a major city and airline hub that might increase the chances some folks fly in and put some heat on company officials. I encourage anyone who can to do so.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just posted this in a thread. Would love to hear your take on this.

Actually am reading it right now as I just found it ... but my take just from knowing what I know about the man and what Disney is attempting (datamining children ... and that's waaay creepier than someone looking at a teen dressed provocatively at a pool) is that Disney is in for a long and ugly and expensive battle. And Blondie, Crazy Gary and Bland Tommy as well as the social media whores they entertain are just not gonna be enough to make this all MAGICal.

And now ... please welcome home, local boy made good, our hero in a boring suit and tie (I always told him he needed to dress more LA) .... stand up and make some noise for YOUR NEW WDW PREZ ... Geeeeeeeooooorge Kalogridis.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
The part that gets me is why Bob Iger would approve of something potentially controversial outside the company. As seen by the articles and letter you linked 74, it is heading that way. Bob wants to run for political office here in New York after. Why would he approve something that could come up later on during his political run? Interesting to see how this pans out indeed.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well now, that should be an interesting response to read.....

OK, I read it.

My immediate response is Disney is in trouble. REAL trouble. ... Now, my insiders have been telling me this for over a year (over many issues, to be fair, not just datamining/exploiting children).

But that is what concerns Congressman Markey (who I believe is going to run for John Kerry's seat in the Senate).
Disney is a major campaign contributor to him (or they have been) and I'm not naive enough to think that Disney may have tried to roll this out without his input and he's going to fry them over. The law gets amended for the first time ever on 12/19 and then a few weeks ago Disney annouces MyMagic+.

I do not see this ending well (for all those folks wasting time on Disney's reaction to an indie film at Sundance).

I can already see Iger, Staggs, Rasulo and Franklin testifying on the Hill.

Addicts trust Disney implicitly. Congress does not. I don't either.

The fun's really about to begin. Anyone want to pay for me to spend next week in O-Town?:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
I guess the idea that privacy concerns regarding the RFID bracelets were not some crazy conspiracy? Maybe there are legitimate concerns here? Regardless of how loudly and often they are shouted down.

They haven't been shouted down largely here. There have been some folks with 'I don't have anything to hide' mindset that is used whenever the government spies on us or does things not in our interests ... and that see Disney as far less of a threat (which is reasonable).

But what Disney is attempting to do has never been done before and unlike multiplane cameras or AAs or the hundreds of new technologies employed when EPCOT Center debutted, datamining is a whole different way to change the Disney Parks going experience.

Note to @PhotoDave219, I absolutely want to discuss your signature Disney dining experience and my feelings toward what you wrote, but this is a bit more pressing. But I will.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The part that gets me is why Bob Iger would approve of something potentially controversial outside the company. As seen by the articles and letter you linked 74, it is heading that way. Bob wants to run for political office here in New York after. Why would he approve something that could come up later on during his political run? Interesting to see how this pans out indeed.

Arrogance?

Stupidity?

Simple ignorance and not thinking it through? I dunno.

But I have an important call at 3 that I need to run for.

I wonder what's happening at TDB and TDO and Celebration Place right now. I'm sure someone will tell me!:cool:

alphac2005

Just posted this in a thread. Would love to hear your take on this.

This is one of the last members of Congress that the Mouse wants to have coming after them. Representative Markey has a long history of consumer and privacy advocacy. Without getting into the seedy territory of politics on the board, I find people such as Rep. Markey to be honorable when they champion causes that actually help people and shield them against various interests (e.g. big business) and actually see through real action on the topic at hand and he's done more than his fair share in the privacy and protection of children arenas.

Bolna

Wow - so many questions he asks. And most of them are things that we have discussed on here. I think they are all legitimate and are things that any consumer ought to have a right to get an answer to before opting into using this band. I am glad that someone who has a certain standing asks them.

Whatever the answer might be - it will tell us something. If it is being evasive we do know that Disney is not willing to take the Co-Chairman of the Congressional Bi-Partisan Privacy Caucus serious. How would one as a guest then be able to ever again think that one is taken seriously?

One of the most important questions to me is 1.b.:
If a guest choosed not to use MagicBand, what disadvantages, if any, will that guest experience while visiting a Disney park (i.e. longer waits for attractions, etc.)?

This one question really is about whether "opting out" is a real option - or more like "the freedom to sleep under the bridges of Paris".

rioriz

Eh this is will be no big deal to derail the bands. There is no GPS in the bands and the parents decide if they want thier children's info on them as they make that decision for various other things in a child's life.

The only thing disney may have to answer is if they are keeping a record of the personal information if and after the trip is over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom