Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Rep. Markey can be contacted here:

http://markey.house.gov/contact-rep-markey

Now's your chance to write to Rep. Markey and let him know exactly what you think of Disney's plan to track and collect information on your children.

Here, here.

I think Disney needs to be spanked more than a petutlant fanboi. They don't get to set up a system where you either give up your privacy and that of your children or you pay the same price for a vastly inferior visit.

If I am UNI and SW, then I am coming up with all sorts of ad campaigns that showcase all the new reasons to visit their resorts and remind guests that 'no tracking bracelets are required to enjoy our magic.'

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Here, here.

I think Disney needs to be spanked more than a petutlant fanboi. They don't get to set up a system where you either give up your privacy and that of your children or you pay the same price for a vastly inferior visit.

If I am UNI and SW, then I am coming up with all sorts of ad campaigns that showcase all the new reasons to visit their resorts and remind guests that 'no tracking bracelets are required to enjoy our magic.'
I bet that would turn some heads in Burbank.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Aren't we supposed to keep politics out of the discussion?

This isn't politics...it's government. There is a difference (although a very fine line) !

This.

A very big difference. If an elected official who co-authored a law on the protection of children and their privacy rights has big issues with how a company that caters to kids and their families is trying to bend the law to achieve their corporate agenda, then I'd say that is right down the middle of what we in the fan community ought to be discussing.

I promise to not even call our Governor by his real name \

WDW1974

Original Poster
It looks to me like Disney just wasted 2 billion dollars. Just think what they COULD have done with that money.

Dug ... this hurt so much. when you look at WDW ... four neglected parks ... rotting infrastructure ... a monorail system running on chewing gum and duct tape ... 1972-era parades ...

And billions of dollars being wasted.

What's amusing is that Staggs still thinks he has a chance to replace Iger. That's almost as funny as The Big Bang Theory.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Here, here.

Pretty much sums up what I said on another thread...

"Besides all the privacy issues everyone is discussing, the one additional sound byte that every media outlet will pick up on will be the difference in experience as to whether you opt in or not. As of now, we all expect that that answer is a "diminished experience" as a previous poster put it. I can't imagine that Disney wanted their message to be "give up your privacy and get better service", but it looks like that's what their going to end up with. It will definately turn into a PR disaster, especially when a few miles up I-4, Universal has just started one of the best ad campaigns I've seen from them in a long time (they're running some great ads in the Northeast-I assume they're running everywhere). I can see their future ads now...."Awesome rides-No bracelet needed!""

WDW1974

Original Poster
Can they stop Disney from rolling out MyMagic+?

No. I don't believe so.

But they could cause changes that severely limit how it is implemented. I'd guess Disney would be pushed to make them out of fear of a public backlash and godawful PR blackeyes.

In other words, I see MyMagic+ going forward no matter what. But in the form Disney has planned? That's the (two?) billion dollar question.

awoogala

I don't see how they could. People give far more private information to Facebook everyday then Disney will be collecting with this system and the government hasn't shut down Facebook yet.
facebook legally is set up for 13 year olds and older. this can collect on kids under 13. big difference. (and before you ask, no, I do not allow my kids on facebook. they are under 13. )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom