Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

drew81

Apart from the legal points about that film, I think the more pertinent discussion would be about how the whole thing will/won't effect Disney's attitude about people using their IP for profit.
YouTube users who profit, Lange and others could find themselves in an uncomfortable position if the mouse (rightly, in my opinion) cracks down.

Maybe that would be a question to put to George...

Maybe someone should ask Iger this at the shareholder meeting? I wonder what the response would be?

the.dreamfinder

When is Hollywood's Wizarding World planned to open as of right now? I doubt that they'll screw up IM. It's a project that has Iger's attention with a powerful exec, in this case Ike, standing in the corner with this...
baseball_bat_nails.jpg

If they didn't screw up CL outside of Luigi's, I think we'll be fine. It appears we should be more concerned with SDL and the WDW projects being value engineered to death.

WDW1974

Original Poster
When is Hollywood's Wizarding World planned to open as of right now? I doubt that they'll screw up IM. It's a project that has Iger's attention with a powerful exec, in this case Ike, standing in the corner with this...
baseball_bat_nails.jpg

If they didn't screw up CL outside of Luigi's, I think we'll be fine. It appears we should be more concerned with SDL and the WDW projects being value engineered to death.

I believe late 2016 for Potter on the left coast. ... and agreed on the SDL and WDW points

What's the relationship between Lasseter and Ike like? Save Disney 2.0?

Not really sure they even have one to speak of. ... And, no, there won't be a Save Disney 2.0. Stock is over $53 a share.

PhotoDave219

They will not be seated anywhere near regular guests if they were to dine there.

As to your experience, what happened? And, more importantly, you seem like a pretty smart dude, Dave, so why are you even bothering with Disney locales?

Because I like Disney Signature Dining! Or Signature dining from 7 years ago.... Oh I enjoy restaurant row on Sand Lake. Rocco's Taco's & Tequila bar has some fantastic enchiladas, Melting Pot is great fondue for two, Mortons is amazing and heck, based on the lines everyone loves Cheesecake Factory at Millenia. (Even the Governor dines at Cheesecake Factory when he's in Orlando instead of going to a fancy meal at Disney, but I digress) But as a Tables-in-Wonderland card holder, I do enjoy dining at the Walt Disney World resort, especially when I have friends in town.

Alas.... Where do I start?

Okay, Yachtsman. High end, Signature Dining. Signature Restaurant of the Yacht Club Resort, Deluxe resort. Deluxe restaurant. Emphasis on HIGH END. SIGNATURE. IMO. Should be on par with Citricos and California Grill. Why did I want to go there? Great steak, was a good ambiance, had a dress code, generally few children. You know, SIGNATURE DINING. Quiet. Moody lighting. Elegant.

Absolutely first things first: The food was excellent and everything I expect from that restaurant. My issue was with the atmosphere and ambiance. Also, they now serve a Silver Oak Cabernet (07) by the glass which was damn yummy.

I get a restaurant full of slovenly dressed people, children and iPads. First, if you're going to have a dress code, enforce the damn thing. Myself and my date are dressed to the hilt because its a fancy restaurant and frankly I don't want to see your sloven appearance and lack of self respect at a fancy restaurant. T-Shirt and shorts are neither business casual nor acceptable. Disney says this up front yet allows it to continue.

Second, I get a restaurant full of children. I know Its Disney, Blah, blah, blah, I get that there's going to be children. But this is Signature Dining, not Chuck-e-cheese. Let them at least be seen and not heard. All Disney Resorts have a sitter program - if you can afford Signature dining, you can afford to pay someone to watch the kids while you have a nice meal with your spouse/significant other.

... which leads me to my last complain. iPads. I did not come to SIGNATURE DINING to hear a Disney movie blaring on an iPad from the table next to me to keep their child quiet. Look, you want to pull that crap at Ohanas or a character meal? Go right ahead, I expect that there. Its just not acceptable at this kind of restaurant. I came for a quiet, high end meal, NOT TO WATCH A MOVIE.

For $50 and entree, there's certain things I expect. This is not what Yachtsman used to be. It used to be high end and rather proper. Dress code, no kids, no electronics, one of the highest & best restaurants on Disney property. Now, it has the feel of Outback, in so much that all that matters is filling the seats at the tables. Just the money transaction seems to be all thats important.

All I ask is that they enforce the existing policies. I expect SIGNATURE DINING to be exactly that, SIGNATURE.
Alas, you may be right. I might be better of dropping my hard earned money on Sand Lake Drive then at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Magenta Panther

Thank you, I actually later realized you posted a twitter handle which I looked up and read as well.

EDIT: It was a good read thanks. I like reading Iger interviews, I like him as a businessperson. He has flaws for sure but there are some good things as well. (not sure if that is a popular opinion around here though)

I'd like him as a businessperson too...if he were running Wal-Mart. :p

Magenta Panther

Because I like Disney Signature Dining! Or Signature dining from 7 years ago.... Oh I enjoy restaurant row on Sand Lake. Rocco's Taco's & Tequila bar has some fantastic enchiladas, Melting Pot is great fondue for two, Mortons is amazing and heck, based on the lines everyone loves Cheesecake Factory at Millenia. (Even the Governor dines at Cheesecake Factory when he's in Orlando instead of going to a fancy meal at Disney, but I digress) But as a Tables-in-Wonderland card holder, I do enjoy dining at the Walt Disney World resort, especially when I have friends in town.

Okay, Yachtsman. High end, Signature Dining. Signature Restaurant of the Yacht Club Resort, Deluxe resort. Deluxe restaurant. Emphasis on HIGH END. SIGNATURE. IMO. Should be on par with Citricos and California Grill. Why did I want to go there? Great steak, was a good ambiance, had a dress code, generally few children. You know, SIGNATURE DINING. Quiet. Moody lighting. Elegant.

Absolutely first things first: The food was excellent and everything I expect from that restaurant. My issue was with the atmosphere and ambiance. Also, they now serve a Silver Oak Cabernet (07) by the glass which was damn yummy.

I get a restaurant full of slovenly dressed people, children and iPads. First, if you're going to have a dress code, enforce the damn thing. Myself and my date are dressed to the hilt because its a fancy restaurant and frankly I don't want to see your sloven appearance and lack of self respect at a fancy restaurant. T-Shirt and shorts are neither business casual nor acceptable. Disney says this up front yet allows it to continue.

Second, I get a restaurant full of children. I know Its Disney, Blah, blah, blah, I get that there's going to be children. But this is Signature Dining, not Chuck-e-cheese. Let them at least be seen and not heard. All Disney Resorts have a sitter program - if you can afford Signature dining, you can afford to pay someone to watch the kids while you have a nice meal with your spouse/significant other.

... which leads me to my last complain. iPads. I did not come to SIGNATURE DINING to hear a Disney movie blaring on an iPad from the table next to me to keep their child quiet. Look, you want to pull that crap at Ohanas or a character meal? Go right ahead, I expect that there. Its just not acceptable at this kind of restaurant. I came for a quiet, high end meal, NOT TO WATCH A MOVIE.

For $50 and entree, there's certain things I expect. This is not what Yachtsman used to be. It used to be high end and rather proper. Dress code, no kids, no electronics, one of the highest & best restaurants on Disney property. Now, it has the feel of Outback, in so much that all that matters is filling the seats at the tables. Just the money transaction seems to be all thats important.

All I ask is that they enforce the existing policies. I expect SIGNATURE DINING to be exactly that, SIGNATURE.
Alas, you may be right. I might be better of dropping my hard earned money on Sand Lake Drive then at the Walt Disney World Resort.

I hear you. Just going to my local bar and grill is a pain in the butt because parents insist on bringing the brats along (to a BAR AND GRILL, mind you, not McDonald's or Denny's) where the things squall and screech and cry and fuss. I too would be royally ed if I paid for Signature Dining at WDW and had to endure slobs and out-of-control urchins. BTW, did you email Disney and complain? I would have.

Disneyhead'71

I don't have a problem with children at a high end restaurant. As long as the children behave and are respectful. I think enforcing the dress code plays a big part in how children behave. Kids are very perceptive, and most know that if they have to dress the part, they have to act the part. I can dress my kids up and take them to any restaurant that I want without fear that they would in anyway be less than perfect ladies. But they know that it is not only what is expected of them from me, but from every other person there.

By the way, you may encounter my kids at Morton's on Sand Lake as we go there fairly regularly (great Happy Hour). My oldest has Ballet class in that mall. If you haven't tried Christini's Ristorante Italiano in the same mall as Morton's it is to die for. One of the absolute best Italian restaurants I have ever been to.

http://www.christinis.com/home

M.rudolf

I don't have a problem with children at a high end restaurant. As long as the children behave and are respectful. I think enforcing the dress code plays a big part in how children behave. Kids are very perceptive, and most know that if they have to dress the part, they have to act the part. I can dress my kids up and take them to any restaurant that I want without fear that they would in anyway be less than perfect ladies. But they know that it is not only what is expected of them from me, but from every other person there.

By the way, you may encounter my kids at Morton's on Sand Lake as we go there fairly regularly (great Happy Hour). My oldest has Ballet class in that mall. If you haven't tried Christini's Ristorante Italiano in the same mall as Morton's it is to die for. One of the absolute best Italian restaurants I have ever been to.

http://www.christinis.com/home
I must say that's cool that your kids know how to act in different surroundings and situations. It's sad that the majority of children are no longer taught this. Basically give them something to keep them busy, not teach them to act appropriately

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I'd like him as a businessperson too...if he were running Wal-Mart. :p

I say that while detatching my emotions from the company. I think he does have an eye for detail but it for whatever reason hasn't translated to WDW. I had a discussion about this with Eddie Sotto in his thread... Iger is good but limited. I think he respects Walt and Walt's ways while trying to make sure he moves forward without letting that hold the company back. Eddie made a good point that the successor for Iger should be a strong 1, 2... Perhaps a visionary and finance guy. My guess would be Staggs with Lasseter is the closest thing to this.

Disneyhead'71

I must say that's cool that your kids know how to act in different surroundings and situations. It's sad that the majority of children are no longer taught this. Basically give them something to keep them busy, not teach them to act appropriately
When they were 5 it was, "Sit up, put your napkin in your lap, and act like a lady." Now that they are teens it's me thinking, "Please don't order the $urf and Turf."

Californian Elitist

Ah, but SoCal residents are the biggest weather wimps. ... I love going to DLR when it literally may sprinkle out. That's when Dallas Raines breathlessly talks about a 'WEATHER EVENT' and they start talking about how they might get a quarter of an inch of rain in Palmdale! ... I am LOLing because I live in a place where we can get six inches of rain in less than an hour during a normal afternoon thunderstorm.

Honestly, it's just another reason why I love LA!

It's going to rain for the rest of the week here and everyone's freaking out! I am not a happy camper, I was planning on visiting DLR sometime this week. That plan is out.

SirLink

Quite amusing overall.

But this quote really stood out to me because, largely, that is exactly what TWDC under Iger has done.

You can "never let a brand rest on what it was," Iger said.

Except he basically killed Kermits around the world tour when he came through the door.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom