Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Edit: Iger interview with Brian Grazer (observations by LA Times reporter @benfritz)

Iger on the "magic band" technology being rolled out at parks: "kind of interesting, fairly risky, very expensive."
Iger recently heard pitch for a hotel with theme that "four great adventurers of the world got together to build one lodge."
Iger on the "magic band" technology being rolled out at parks: "kind of interesting, fairly risky, very expensive."
Iger: "In a way i’m a brand manager. I probably do that more than anything else."

Do you have a link?

djlaosc

Edit: Iger interview with Brian Grazer (observations by LA Times reporter @benfritz)

Iger recently heard pitch for a hotel with theme that "four great adventurers of the world got together to build one lodge."

Well that sounds like a good place for bringing back the Adventurer's Club, it could even be like "Hoop De Doo Review" at Fort Wilderness!

Clever Name

Nope.

Just business as usual. WDW travels to every corner of the globe to bring in what is basically 'slave labor' ... because Wall Street won't allow them (that's the excuse anyway) to spend some of their record profits on Americans by paying better wages and hiring folks who are competent and might even speak English.
This is in the grand tradition originally proposed by Walt Disney for the operation of the Florida Project. Walt's idea for EPCOT was to have a huge and cheap labor pool for the operation of his various business ventures (i.e. transportation system, airport, industrial sites, theme park, etc.) in Florida. His model would have worked just like the Disney Studio and WED Enterprises deal. Hire away the best people and then pay them top dollar with other people's (shareholders) money. He was a genius!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
It was an interview between Brian Grazer and Iger as part of some panel.

Here's a Variety article on it http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118065054/

Thank you, I actually later realized you posted a twitter handle which I looked up and read as well.

EDIT: It was a good read thanks. I like reading Iger interviews, I like him as a businessperson. He has flaws for sure but there are some good things as well. (not sure if that is a popular opinion around here though)

HenryMystic

Thank you, I actually later realized you posted a twitter handle which I looked up and read as well.

EDIT: It was a good read thanks. I like reading Iger interviews, I like him as a businessperson. He has flaws for sure but there are some good things as well. (not sure if that is a popular opinion around here though)
I wish I could find the whole interview. He sure knows his to say the right things.

In one of the articles, he recalls Steve Jobs (upon meeting him) calling him (Iger) "more of the same." I chuckled!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll preface this by saying I'm not an attorney nor pretending to be one on the Internet. But my understanding is that one of the keys to these things legally is that you can't selectively enforce it.

Ah, but as we all know that IS exactly what Disney has been doing for years. I'm not an attorney either (most are slimeballs, not all, of course!) and I know that @WDWFigment is ... well, between his monthly runs to WDW or DLR ;) and I'm pretty sure we have a few other lawyers in the house (some, perhaps, just lurking) too. One friend, who actually is a lawyer (albeit not in IP/copyright/entertainment law), disagrees and says that past actions would not be pertinent to this case. I disagree.

I don't see how if you own an apple stand and you let everyone who wears red shirts and blue pants steal as many apples as they want, you having a case when someone else wearing a red shirt and blue pants does the exact same thing.

In other words, the more Disney continues to let its "friends" exploit the IPs for fun and profit - insert some names here - the more difficulty they have going after everyone else, legally speaking.

All that by way of saying, it would certainly force the company to announce publicly who is working for them or under contract with them in some way and who is not - and maybe they are deliberately avoiding that.

That's how I see it. ... But this is Disney. A company that still won't give a straight answer as to whether Lou Mongello is a CM, a third party contractor, a paid BRAND advocate, or simply an online . Not really a tough question, but you'd be amazed at the lengths they'll go to not answer the question.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Don't forget the college program. That also helps drive down wages and bargaining power.

Absolutely. I can't recall when the CP began. But I do know that it wasn't something I really took note of until well into the 1990s when you'd see fresh-faced college kids with nametags listing a school. I have very mixed feelings on it ... Disney doesn't have the same cache on a resume it once did, especially if you're cleaning toilets at DAK while majoring in engineering or pre-med.

lazyboy97o

Whoa...whoa...hold up.
Dude...that's worth hearing more about, right there.
Eh, knowing Iger, unless it's also associated with Disney® Four Adventurers, its two sequels, television show and massive toy sales, it is not going anywhere else any time soon.

the.dreamfinder

You can "never let a brand rest on what it was," Iger said.
d23_epcot_30_1.jpg

Oh the irony.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom