Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Certainly - but that's worlds different from inferring because the data exists, every Moe, Dick, and Larry Disney chooses to hire to clean their toilets will have access to the data. It's disingenuous, and intended only to support one's campaign rather than bear any resemblance to objective thought. That is what I was responding too (and no, I didn't see that in your post.. so no confusion there).

No, of course not. But the problem is you don't know who is going to have access to it. And whether you agree or not, the more we have turned our privacy over to companies in the digital era, the more we have been burned with everything from minor issues to identity theft and fraud and even stalking and violent crime.

I know I am talking to a smart guy here. I know you realize the more infomation that gets transferred into databases, the greater the risk of it being used in bad ways (by both the company on purpose and by evil individuals) becomes.

It doesn't take a genius to know you should only expose info when and to whom its needed, and for several types of info there should be actual gating ensuring the need actually exists vs just relying on someone's previously established access. Example: Require something from the authorized party, not just the CM's role, to access sensitive information. RFID actually makes this easier. Imagine if you wanted to allow someone to know the location of a child.. instead of letting the CM look it up on their own, require the authorized user's tag also be presented and validated before the information is presented to the CM. Now you have two factor authentication, not just trusting the CM's access level.

That is a great example of what COULD be done with RFID. But in no way have we heard that Disney is going to implement this tech in that fashion. ... And I could even hear folks like Nick Franklin blowing the question (when it comes from legit media and not social whores) off with a quick ''we can't discuss our security protocols because that would open them up, but rest assured they exist'' ...Well, that's just not good enough.

Look, Disney has all kinds of protocols to prevent information from leaking onto sites like this and yet, the information always finds a way to get out.

I've heard that this is such a concern of Staggs' that he doesn't even want memos placed online and wants info disseminated by leaders of NEXT GEN in person to their groups. If true, he doesn't trust basic technology like email at the corporate level yet he wants you to trust your children and your data to this project.

Doesn't sound very reassuring to me.

So I'm not too concerned about Disney on that front. Hacking.. as I have previously stated, this opens new attack vectors which increases risk.. but the data at risk is basically the same data as before. I think Disney is far more scared of bad PR than they are of me b#$#ching if my data is compromised... so I expect due diligence there as well.

I think fundamentally you believe in the overarching technology, going back and reading some of your posts with the new-found knowledge that you are acutely aware of the tech behind this (which I am not), it really does appear as though you are making something of a sales pitch here. Instead of looking with a genuinely critical eye, you've repeatedly turned this into a 'what's everybody's problem with this?' issue.

Just two quick examples ... in this post you used the word 'campaign' as though people are on this site with the express agenda of moving people one way or the other and not simply exchanging ideas, information and opinions. You've repeatedly invoked the 'net term FUD (I thought that was gangtsa rapper talk for food myself) or Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. This is done frequently to discredit if not void an argument, however legitimate, that goes against one's -- personal or corporate -- interests. If there's a campaign here, there's one poster here who is like Karl Rove on old election nights.

It just seems like maybe someone has a vested interest in this technology beyond being a Disney fan ...

Where it does take a 'genius' - is making all this robust, scale, and rolling it all out successfully (and keeping customers happy at the same time!). I'm more concerned on that front.. and having vacations impaired due to technology failures than I am about Disney CM's molesting my children or stalking me or them. But hey.. who am I to try to stop the FUD train??

See, you just proved my point there. You took Disney's biggest corporate FUD and you are turning it around. Rest assured, while I think there are stalking and molesting issues, I think they are just two amongst a great many issues ... and they are far more of a concern to TWDC than they are to most guests. But that is an aspect that likely keeps P&R execs up at night.[/quote]

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 @Lee I did not go back and read the pages I missed so I do not know if this was covered but I was thinking today ... I think MyMagic/Next Gen is mostly a bad idea or at the very least a misappropriation of funds. However ... does NextGen/MyMagic/Fastpass+ NEED to be a success for us to expect change at WDW?

Meaning ... if it fails they are quite a bit in the whole, will they be reluctant to allocate more funds towards attractions etc ... ?

A very good question. I'm gonna hedge a bit, but I do know of enough projects that have been proposed and are at least semi-close to happening (maybe even ... would you believe something at EPCOT?) that I think one has little to do with the other.

Georgie K is being brought in to put a happy Disney face on MyMagic+ and implement the NEXT GEN initiative come hell or high water or legal wrangling (or people ripping it on Disney fan sites).

I think that's sorta indepenent of what happens in TPFKaTD-MGMS or DAK ... Potter 2.0 and everything UNI is doing in the next five years is going to absolutely injure Disney in a way they've never been harmed before if they sit on their collective arses. So, I guess that's the long-winded way of saying new stuff is coming no matter how much of a disaster NEXT GEN turns out to be.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It seems that Disney's efforts to lobby Congress in regard to COPPA compliance have started to pay off. There's apparently movement underway to amend COPPA specifically to provide allowances for certain discrete and enumerated kinds of theme park entertainment.

It's going to be called the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act -- Florida Entertainment Exemption Legislation... or COPPA-FEEL for short.

Winner: Post of the Day.
:)

The act's coming right along...

C'mon, Numero Dos, that stuff be golden. He should at least get Post of the Week (I think that comes with a $10 Disney Gift Card that has 37 cents left on it!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Belichick has earned the right to pretty much do whatever he pleases. If that includes dressing like a homeless person, so be it.

Yep.

He sorta is comparable to Disney in the 1990s. You always gave them the benefit of the doubt because most times they hit the open guy for a 65-yard TD.

Now, Disney is more like say ... the Miami Dolphins ...

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
So, I guess that's the long-winded way of saying new stuff is coming no matter how much of a disaster NEXT GEN turns out to be.

Sounds like TWDC added NextGen to a different budget. It's like a skunk works project in the world of Disney. I haven't really seen any negativity on the market with $DIS so I guess investors view this cost sunk or really believe in the benefits.

Nice to hear EPCOT plans... Are they worthwhile? Park wide or just fixing pathetic Imagination? Either way nice to hear.

Also I was thinking about Pixar expansion at DHS and I really think the doors coaster would be nice and perhaps a legitamite Pizza Planet. Other than that I really hope for, but don't expect, Star Wars or some other more mature attractions. I think Disney has a demographic not truly fulfilled with teens/adults.

While I think there should be more than the doors coaster, I also think for business, mature rides would help. Perhaps both? No no I'm not that naive, I know better than to expect any of that.

Cosmic Commando

That is a great example of what COULD be done with RFID. But in no way have we heard that Disney is going to implement this tech in that fashion. ... And I could even hear folks like Nick Franklin blowing the question (when it comes from legit media and not social whores) off with a quick ''we can't discuss our security protocols because that would open them up, but rest assured they exist'' ...Well, that's just not good enough.
Oh gosh, did he really do that? There's two kinds of security: "Go ahead and try it" security or "Please don't sniff around too long" security. Good to know which one we're getting.

Lee

Adventurer
C'mon, Numero Dos, that stuff be golden. He should at least get Post of the Week (I think that comes with a $10 Disney Gift Card that has 37 cents left on it!)
That's gold, Kuhio! Gold!
download.php

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know I am talking to a smart guy here. I know you realize the more infomation that gets transferred into databases, the greater the risk of it being used in bad ways (by both the company on purpose and by evil individuals) becomes.

Of course - but I look at it in terms of probabilities and risk assessment. You can't take the worst case you can think of, then act like its going to happen all the time and be common place purely because it's the worst you can think of. It's akin to saying if we leave the ground.. we are going to fall to our deaths!! Is it possible? Yes, but you manage the risk and mitigate it to the point where you get an acceptable balance between usability, safety, and cost.

What is happening over and over on this site is people dream up ways someone could screw it up, and then act like that's whats happening and why the system sucks. It's a method used purely to spread FUD - vs having reasonable or logically discussions over the potentials and risks associated with them.

I'm acting as the voice of reason - while some are scrambling to find every reason why something shouldn't happen.

That is a great example of what COULD be done with RFID. But in no way have we heard that Disney is going to implement this tech in that fashion

Correct - but we also don't know they are leaving the barn door open. Just like it makes no sense for me to post "WDW1974 posts while sitting nekid in his solarium with the lights on so all the neighbors can see". You COULD do that, but just because I don't know what you are doing, doesn't make it a reasonable argument to say your neighbors are at risk of seeing an exposed WDWMagic user. It doesn't take into account probability or the risks of you doing that.. it's based purely on the theoretical that it COULD happen and leaping to the conclusion its something we should be worried about.

Look, Disney has all kinds of protocols to prevent information from leaking onto sites like this and yet, the information always finds a way to get out.

Human motivation is the hardest leak to plug. Fear only works to a point. The more motivated the person is.. the less effective fear and oversight are at stopping it. As much as people get their hands on blueprints, or hear the hallway gossip.. I find it less likely your contacts can pull credit cards or HR profiles if they didn't have that type of influence or access to start with. I find little merit in comparing company confidential bits to data that is actually behind other people and locked access. Until you motivate your accomplice, its hard to get specifics vs generalizations.

I've heard that this is such a concern of Staggs' that he doesn't even want memos placed online and wants info disseminated by leaders of NEXT GEN in person to their groups. If true, he doesn't trust basic technology like email at the corporate level yet he wants you to trust your children and your data to this project.

Apples and oranges.

I think fundamentally you believe in the overarching technology, going back and reading some of your posts with the new-found knowledge that you are acutely aware of the tech behind this (which I am not), it really does appear as though you are making something of a sales pitch here. Instead of looking with a genuinely critical eye, you've repeatedly turned this into a 'what's everybody's problem with this?' issue.

No, it's called going at it with educated opinions and trying to be level headed. As opposed to someone trying to find whatever scraps they can to support a predisposed idea.

Just two quick examples ... in this post you used the word 'campaign' as though people are on this site with the express agenda of moving people one way or the other and not simply exchanging ideas, information and opinions

Yes I use 'campaign' - because its obvious for some they have made up their mind at the start.. and seem to consciously or subconsciously on a mission of brand building of their own to show how they too can be part of the cool club.

You've repeatedly invoked the 'net term FUD (I thought that was gangtsa rapper talk for food myself) or Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. This is done frequently to discredit if not void an argument, however legitimate, that goes against one's -- personal or corporate -- interests.

I don't use the term 'FUD' to discredit something that is legitimate.. else it wouldn't be FUD! Many here post half-truths and speculation as fact - over and over. It undermines what we do actually know by mudding the water and making everything more obscured. When someone does it and they know they are doing it (because others have corrected them) they are either
a) morons
or
b) motivated to influence the audience to their opinion by either convincing them of their ideas or confusing people about other points

It's the classic tactic of competition when they can't answer with something better - if you can't beat them, try to undercut them. If you can't show a specific fault, insert doubt about what the competitor claims or does. It's a tactic based in human psyche - and why people are capable of doing it without explictly knowing they are doing it. Others can do it on demand because they know the start and endpoints and where they want to direct the reader. Just like the old saying.. a lawyer never asks a question he doesn't already know the answer to.

If there's a campaign here, there's one poster here who is like Karl Rove on old election nights.

It just seems like maybe someone has a vested interest in this technology beyond being a Disney fan ...

You know.. you've been doing this for a week or two now with your injection of 'BRAND ADVOCATES' into your posts and other innuendo (just because you don't get a response don't think people are blind to it..) and honestly it hurts you far more than helps you.
  1. it shows you're willing to post something when you really don't know and have nothing to base it on (hurts credibility)
  2. it probably makes those in the know on the 'inside' at Disney laugh at you because they know the truth and they watch you openly flop in front of it
  3. It shows if you can't address the message, you attack the messenger
My life is pretty open on the net. Heck, you've never even asked me what I do - yet you feel positioned enough to make open ended comments like this to try to allude to me working for or being associated with the mouse. I bet your Celebration Place Cabal get a laugh out of posts like this. Maybe they'll even post this one and circulate it to show just off base you can be.

Rest assured, you are far more associated and linked to Disney than I. The closest thing I have to being associated with Disney is my Disney sponsored Visa card.

May I suggest doing some research before leaving your tail hanging out there next time? Heck, you could have just asked or used the real big brother.. Google.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What is Trader Sam's?

It's a tiki/polynesian themed park at the Disneyland Hotel. It's popular because of it's heavy theming and special effects. There are special effects in the bar or your actual seat(!) that are triggered when people order/consume certain drinks :)

Imagine a bar that was tiki room+jungle cruise+special effects.. and you have an impression of Trader Sams.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland-hotel/trader-sams/

Lee

Adventurer
"WDW1974 posts while sitting nekid in his solarium with the lights on so all the neighbors can see".
He does that! How did you know?
(Actually, he isn't completely nekid. He has this great Christmas tree hat...)
My life is pretty open on the net. Heck, you've never even asked me what I do - yet you feel positioned enough to make open ended comments like this to try to allude to me working for or being associated with the mouse.
Fairly certain that wasn't what he was getting at...

SirOinksALot

1. it shows you're willing to post something when you really don't know and have nothing to base it on (hurts credibility)
  2. it probably makes those in the know on the 'inside' at Disney laugh at you because they know the truth and they watch you openly flop in front of it
  3. It shows if you can't address the message, you attack the messenger
This is why I quit posting in this thread. 74's understanding of the technical capabilities of this are so off-base, that it doesn't warrant the effort you put into responses. It's fearmongering of the highest order with no substance to back it. This now makes two regulars here who have reputations to maintain who have argued me down because I had the audacity to point out that their ramblings are technically impossible.

500-yard radius for tracking passive RFID, no line-of-sight, thousands of data points at once? Yeah, okay, right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom