Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

openendedsky

Dining
Shopping
Blue Man Group
Mini-golf (2 courses)
Movies at the Cineplex
Concerts at Hard Rock Live
Live music at Margaritaville, Bob Marley's, and Pat O'Brien's
Karaoke at Rising Star

None of these things require getting drunk. Okay, maybe the karaoke. But there's plenty to do in CityWalk.

I can shop and eat anywhere. I meant aside from that. Most of this is stuff I could do elsewhere, but I did forget about the mini golf and have been wanting to try that.

Longhairbear

I'd like to thank all those that post on this thread, and this forum in general for serving me an epiphany that I didn''t know I needed.
My husband and I are long time DVC members, and are currently using all our membership points at DLR, and DCL. We haven't been to WDW in going on 3 years, but thanks to all of you I think we are going back.
How stupid of me to not see what I have been missing all these years, the rest of FLA.
I loved the Kennedy Space Center as a child, my parents took us to Busch Gardens, and Cypress Gardens. We went to Sea World. I miss that, and want to share it with my other half. Using our DVC as a home base to see the rest of FLA, and go back to and relax is the most perfect vacation I can think of. I really need to do some research on the distances from our VWL to what FLA offers. Of course we will go to WDW for the stuff they don't have at DLR.

Goofyernmost

I'd like to thank all those that post on this thread, and this forum in general for serving me an epiphany that I didn''t know I needed.
My husband and I are long time DVC members, and are currently using all our membership points at DLR, and DCL. We haven't been to WDW in going on 3 years, but thanks to all of you I think we are going back.
How stupid of me to not see what I have been missing all these years, the rest of FLA.
I loved the Kennedy Space Center as a child, my parents took us to Busch Gardens, and Cypress Gardens. We went to Sea World. I miss that, and want to share it with my other half. Using our DVC as a home base to see the rest of FLA, and go back to and relax is the most perfect vacation I can think of. I really need to do some research on the distances from our VWL to what FLA offers. Of course we will go to WDW for the stuff they don't have at DLR.
Cypress Gardens is now Legoland. I haven't been there yet, but I understand that Lego has decided to continue with the Gardens which is a nice touch. It give the older folks something to do while the younger ones are playing with Lego's.

lazyboy97o

Cypress Gardens is now Legoland. I haven't been there yet, but I understand that Lego has decided to continue with the Gardens which is a nice touch. It give the older folks something to do while the younger ones are playing with Lego's.
I think Merlin was more required to keep the gardens than they decided to keep them. Aside from a couple of Lego models of Southern belles sitting on a bench, the gardens (at least when I visited in late 2011) have barely been touched. There were even still signs up from its previous incarnation, Cypress Gardens Adventure Park.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Been busy and not sure if I'll be able to post anything today on the subjects we've been discussing, but I did want to confirm something that has been rumoured on another subject ... and that is that Luau Cove isn't long for existence at the Poly.

You can figure out for yourself why it would be going and what would be taking its place.

Oh, also not likely news here (never get down to the food board even if I love the stuff!) but Le Cellier has now gone to an all-day menu. So, while I haven't seen it, it's likely safe to say that the 'cheapest' steak on the menu is over $30 a la carte for lunch. Again, only Disney could get away with this ... Disney and its rube fans who don't realize you can get a quality steak by driving 10 minutes to the Longhorn for $11.99 with an actual side item, but alas, one that isn't Pixie Dust.

Finally, while I sorta detest the Disney Parks Blog (or at least its purpose), here's a kewl link to the TDR blog. Love those pics:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/blog/130115-2/

Hope to be back talking NEXT GEN and other stuff as work/life/time permits.

PhilharMagician

Been busy and not sure if I'll be able to post anything today on the subjects we've been discussing, but I did want to confirm something that has been rumoured on another subject ... and that is that Luau Cove isn't long for existence at the Poly.

You can figure out for yourself why it would be going and what would be taking its place.

Oh, also not likely news here (never get down to the food board even if I love the stuff!) but Le Cellier has now gone to an all-day menu. So, while I haven't seen it, it's likely safe to say that the 'cheapest' steak on the menu is over $30 a la carte for lunch. Again, only Disney could get away with this ... Disney and its rube fans who don't realize you can get a quality steak by driving 10 minutes to the Longhorn for $11.99 with an actual side item, but alas, one that isn't Pixie Dust.

Finally, while I sorta detest the Disney Parks Blog (or at least its purpose), here's a kewl link to the TDR blog. Love those pics:

Figured that was going to happen, but I had though that it would be rebuilt in some sort of fasion somewhere else with a new show. It makes good money and I cannot see it going forever. Money money money!

Lee

Adventurer
Figured that was going to happen, but I had though that it would be rebuilt in some sort of fasion somewhere else with a new show. It makes good money and I cannot see it going forever. Money money money!
I hope so, but I haven't heard.
I'm sure it makes some money...but does it make enough money. They've been known to close profitable locations for such reasons.
*cough*advclub*cough*

I'm sure those dancers aren't cheap. DVC will out-earn Luau Cove quickly. Ugh...

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

Pretty amazing pictures... sorta weird since the US parks will never see sights like these. The woody head entrance for TSM is quite creepy though lol.

tracyandalex

@WDW1974 I seem to recall you briefly mentioning something new with DCL. Care to elaborate? We love DCL are more excited about our up coming cruise than our possible WDW trip.
as always, thanks for the info!
Tracy

wdwfan4ver

You forgot to mention Quality of Steak Le Cellier is offering also. For a place that takes 2 creditsfor the Disney Dining plan, it is not what a person expects. It is hit and miss over there now. The last I went there, Le Cellier had good steak for Lunch only one of the 2 times I went there. The other time I went there, Le Cellier rushed their steaks. If Getting a Steak 2 or 3 minutes after you order it medium doesn't sound rush, I don't know what is then. I know other people outside of the internet had got their steak 2 or 3 minutes after they ordered medium it and they couldn't eat the steak because of how bad it was. The people I know off line went to Le Cellier on different days than me and said they rather go to Yatchtsmen Steakhouse instead. I also know people who went to Le Cellier for Lunch and Dinner before this year made the comment there there is no difference between the lunch and the signature Dinner.

You could also say as a result that only Disney cam get away with have expensive steak that goes to your table 2 to 3 minutes after you order it on medium like in the case of Le Cellier.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I feel like other than going to get drunk, there isn't much "to do" at CityWalk at night. I'm a PAP and have DisneyQuest and now Splitsville, among other things.

That is a reflection of you rather than the venue, however delighted to hear you still get satisfaction from the decaying unsupervised crèche that is DisneyQuest.

tomman710

You forgot to mention Quality of Steak Le Cellier is offering also. For a place that takes 2 creditsfor the Disney Dining plan, it is not what a person expects. It is hit and miss over there now. The last I went there, Le Cellier had good steak for Lunch only one of the 2 times I went there. The other time I went there, Le Cellier rushed their steaks. If Getting a Steak 2 or 3 minutes after you order it medium doesn't sound rush, I don't know what is then. I know other people outside of the internet had got their steak 2 or 3 minutes after they ordered medium it and they couldn't eat the steak because of how bad it was. The people I know off line went to Le Cellier on different days than me and said they rather go to Yatchtsmen Steakhouse instead. I also know people who went to Le Cellier for Lunch and Dinner before this year made the comment there there is no difference between the lunch and the signature Dinner.

You could also say as a result that only Disney cam get away with have expensive steak that goes to your table 2 to 3 minutes after you order it on medium like in the case of Le Cellier.

Yachtsman has been better than Le Cellier for a while but shhh don't tell anyone because it's infinitely easier to get an ADR there than Le Cellier.

flynnibus

Premium Member

When you have a limited menu resturant pretty much garunteed to be busy... you don't need to wait for an order before you start cooking. In cases like you mentioned, they likely just had steaks already queued up and they ordered a common configuration.

If they know 'we get about 10 medium steak orders every 10 minutes' - they don't need to wait until your order comes in.. they start ahead so they have 10 medium steaks coming out every 10 minutes.. etc.

In setups like that, even without orders sitting... you can get orders turned around faster than their actual prep time.

wdwfan4ver

Yachtsman has been better than Le Cellier for a while but shhh don't tell anyone because it's infinitely easier to get an ADR there than Le Cellier.
I am not a bit shocked. I know people that go to both places on the same trip for many years. For Me, Yachtsman isn't a good place. I went there before and I got sick. The food tastes great Yachtsman, but the food just can't get a long with me.

PhilharMagician

I hope so, but I haven't heard.
I'm sure it makes some money...but does it make enough money. They've been known to close profitable locations for such reasons.
*cough*advclub*cough*

I'm sure those dancers aren't cheap. DVC will out-earn Luau Cove quickly. Ugh...

Yeah, and by a lot!

For what they are charging per person for the luau they have to be making some decent dough. Costing between $59 - $72 for inexpensive buffet fare that does include low end draft beer and wine. They are still probably making about $20 per plate profit.

wdwfan4ver

When you have a limited menu resturant pretty much garunteed to be busy... you don't need to wait for an order before you start cooking. In cases like you mentioned, they likely just had steaks already queued up and they ordered a common configuration.

If they know 'we get about 10 medium steak orders every 10 minutes' - they don't need to wait until your order comes in.. they start ahead so they have 10 medium steaks coming out every 10 minutes.. etc.

In setups like that, even without orders sitting... you can get orders turned around faster than their actual prep time.
I understand that, but the steak that was brought in 2 to 3 minutes at Le Cellier actually tasted worse than when it takes longer to receive the medium steak. I had good steak by Le Cellier stands and bad steak steak by their standards. Le Cellier standards are of course not as high as other steakhouse places. I found the times I got the steak in 2 to 3 minutes ordering not tasting good at all.

I know for a fact Le Cellier doesn't always get the same quality steak. I know people that run a catering/restaurant business and their business does include steak and those people can back up my claim about Le Cellier not always getting the same quality steak.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Since I always want to be accuate had to drop back in after seeing the menu @wdwmagic has posted here and comparing it with Deb Wills menus from July for both lunch and dinner (at lunch you could get a filet, probaby a tiny one since the dinner one is 8 oz., for the 'low low' price of $27.99). Now. You pay dinner prices, which they raised as well on some items all day and eliminated anything close to only 'over the top' and went for the complete gouge.

Truly unbelievable. These are prices that top steakhouses (not converted buffeterias) command ... or your expense account places like Morton's and Ruth's Chris charge. $46 for an a la carte steak in a noisy, brat-filled, crowded atmosphere (do they even have table cloths now?)?!??!

Disney truly is shooting for the rubes. And from the busines model, looking for a $75 per person per check charge mimimum (not including alcohol and gratuity). Astounding ... more so that people actually are stupid enough (and I do mean that) or have so much money and no better way to spend it (here's an idea: charity is a good place to start and WDW Co is most definitely one of those) that they'll be booking 180 days out. Me? I love me some Longhorn ... or if I really want a fine steak, I'll go to Shula's where at least there's more than three steaks on the menu and I won't have to worry about someone's kids crawling under my feet.

Truly obscene and I can't wait to see people try and defend the Mouse on this one (hint: if you start down that road by trying to teach me economics, you're not gonna like the response).

Now, back to work ... and I'll (hopefully) see you all later today or before the weekend.

SirLink

When you have a limited menu call yourself a restaurant - all protein should be cooked to order, poor restaurant that can't cook protein and garnishes to order.

N.B. I understand certain sauces like a good red wine sauce would be prepared in advance of opening that day ... put it this way if your chefs can't cook food to order fire them and get some who can...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom