Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not saying anything about the quality, but believe it or not, there's a quick service offering a steak dinner, the Liberty Inn: 6 oz New York Strip Steak - with red wine butter, roasted potatoes, and steamed broccoli $10.69.

Yes, I saw that last month. But that's QSR. And I'm sure an experiment. And six ounces is TINY. That said, if it is there on my next visit, I'll try it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have been following this thread along with the other threads on this board about the MagicBands, MyMagic+, FP+ and NextGen and I have to say that I am utterly fascinated by whole thing. Not the technology (well, that too...), but rather with the general response to the project even in the light of the potential privacy issues. When @WDW1974 started putting all of the pieces out there and the big picture started coming into focus for me, I was alarmed to say the least and I thought that the vast majority of others would be too. When it became apparent that that was not the case, I started wondering why, and the wheels in my little brain started turning... I have come to the conclusion that this may very well go down as one of the most successful social engineering experiments ever conducted.

You may be asking yourself why I chose such a loaded term as 'social engineering', but let's look at the definition of the term: Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging information. Now... most folks are at least somewhat aprehensive if not downright fearful about clicking on a link in an email that looks like it came from your bank (and since the source of the email is most likely an identity theif, your reaction is correct), but what if the manipulation was being done by someone you have loved and trusted since childhood, someone like Mickey Mouse?

Again you may say that manipulation is a loaded term, but let's take a look at what NextGen is all about. There are basically two parts (that we know of) to NextGen. A very sophisticated data mining project and what I will call 'the cool stuff' - MagicBands, the MyMagic+ apps and FP+. Now put yourself in the boardroom at Disney and ask yourself which came first, the need for data or the desire to give their guests cool stuff? Did the execs at Disney say, "We want to give our guests some cool stuff, but what are we going to do with it?", or did they say, "We need to get more information from our guests and make them plan their day down to the last minute. How are we going to do it?" As much as we all would like to think that the execs at Disney just wanted to give us a more magical experience, I am skeptical that is the case.

So out of the need for more information, the seeds for NextGen were planted. It's not surprising to me that all of the cool stuff is very technical in nature. Folks these days just love their gadgets, present company included. As a person who works with technology on a daily basis, I find that while folks love their gadgets, most don't understand them. This is apparent every time a friend of mine gets a new cellphone, computer or iPad and the questions start flying. While most can send texts, make phone calls and use facebook and the internet, their eyes glaze over when it comes to discussing even the basic concepts of security or maintenance for their device. That's OK though, because it's cool stuff and they know they can come to me if there is a problem. ;)

The combination of the love of cool stuff and the lack of knowledge about said cool stuff is the object used in the manipulation. The average Disney guest doesn't even know what RFID stands for, let alone how it works. They just know that the cool bracelet that Disney is giving them will get them into their room and get them fastpasses so they can ride their favorite rides without waiting in line. Not only that, but Disney is giving them a cool new app that they can use to do all kinds of great things like get even more fastpasses or change them whenever they want to. And look! I can make dining reservations from my phone! Does all of the cool stuff sound like theme park Nirvana to you? Then you may want to look over your shoulder, because you just clicked the proverbial link in the email that looks like it came from your bank.

Just like you have the right (and hopefully the good sense) not to click the link in the email, you also will most likely have the right not to participate in NextGen (the details on how this would work are still not clear), but if you choose not to opt in, then you don't get the cool stuff. Disney is hoping that by dangling their low hanging techy fruit in front of you that you will willingly give up your personal information, and many will do it without even knowing what they have done. Fine print... nah! This is Disney! I don't need to read the fine print!

That is what their $2 billion dollar gamble is all about - that they will be able to manipulate you into divulging your personal information and planning every minute of your day so they can better manage their staff. Their hand is a strong one. Most of their guests are 'low information consumers' who either don't understand or worse yet, will proudly proclaim that they don't care to understand the technology that they are so fond of. Many of the others understand the technology but are lothe to admit that Disney may have anything but the best of intentions. There are also a great number who don't care one way or another. Then there is the minority who does care, present company included. As I have said about NextGen before, the whole thing doesn't seem very magical to me...

I'm going to bed now, so I will get off of my soapbox and give this thread back to @WDW1974. Even if you don't agree with me, I hope that I have at least given you something to think about...

I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that post. You are on track, people just need to follow you ... they don't even need me and my sourced info. 'Cause you took that post from @flynnibus (1829, I believe) and saw just how vulnerable NEXT GEN is.

You made my night!:)

PhotoDave219

Not saying anything about the quality, but believe it or not, there's a quick service offering a steak dinner, the Liberty Inn: 6 oz New York Strip Steak - with red wine butter, roasted potatoes, and steamed broccoli $10.69.

Ive eaten it many times, I highly recommend. Its very yummy and pairs nicely with the Sam Adams on tap.

PhotoDave219

I haven't heard it. I think it's totally a rumour and a wish now, but I also think it's very likely to wind up here if they can figure a way to have a larger venue and also not be overrun by locals.

Not my fault that locals like cool stuff to do! We want to do more than go to the parks! If only there was some place, like an island, that catered to adult nightlife.....

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not my fault that locals like cool stuff to do! We want to do more than go to the parks! If only there was some place, like an island, that catered to adult nightlife.....

Great idea, Dave.

Maybe you should write a letter to new WDW Prez George Kalogridis telling him about your wild concept!

Longhairbear

I haven't heard it. I think it's totally a rumour and a wish now, but I also think it's very likely to wind up here if they can figure a way to have a larger venue and also not be overrun by locals.
We love TS, and it could be a bit larger indoors. However they might do themselves a favor by bringing some of the show outdoors where the overflow eats, and drinks. One always wants to know what they are missing inside. And what better advertising to those just walking by? Even without the show, the drinks are darn good, and potent.

Longhairbear

I want to point out some things that I don't think was noticed by a lot of us. During testing of FP+ one poster mentioned they had an option of 3 attractions, and had to choose just one in a certain time frame. I am assuming that meant all the other FP+ attractions were booked. Unless, Disney is limiting the guest to 1 of 3 attractions to herd/ control crowds for any given reason.
Disney saw guests putting down blankets to squat a place for fireworks and parades ( and Fantasmic at DL) so those guests are not viable purchasers in gift shops/ eateries during the hours they are holding a place to see the show.(especially noticable at DL Fantasmic). WOC at DCA changed all that with Fastpass via dinner packages, and Fastpass, and passes given out to DLR hotel guests at the GCH entry to DCA in the morning. DCA keeps guests in Hollywood at the Tea Party, or did in it's first version, spending money on cocktails and dancing, until it was time to see WOC. Guests were lined up in droves, liquored up with empty wallets.
Al Lutz is part of an interesting Podcast that talks about Next Gen, and mentioned that a dinner / show package is offered at DL for the Limited Time Magic GHR tribute show. $35.00 gets you seating and a ham sandwich. I think the hidden upcharges to Fastpass+ are already in motion. We've only viewed WOC at DCA by eating at the finest of restaurants at DCA only if you bought an appetizer, or dessert and we're glad we did. Balcony VIP viewing of Fantazmic at DL can be had for a pricey dessert option. We've seen the same at EPCOT over by the bridge from France/ England.
Disney will offer parade/ firework Fastpasses for premier spots in addition to Fastpass+ with similar packages, I'm sure. It might well end up that if you get an entree at Brown Derby, and order a slice of Grapefruit cake, you can walk on to Tower Of Terror.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It might well end up that if you get an entree at Brown Derby, and order a slice of Grapefruit cake, you can walk on to Tower Of Terror.

I actually consider making reservations at Brown Derby just for this. I could see the headlines now, "Middle aged weirdo sets world record (both volume and distance) for projectile vomiting after eating 11 slices of Grapefruit cake followed immediately by 11 rides on ToT." Of course, a note would be made on a server somewhere and in the future my iPhone would shock me if I even thought about riding ToT after a slice of delicious cake.

Sorry to get off of the main subject. I agree with all that NextGen is a terrible idea. I don't think there is much we can do about it, but I'm going to start calling member services and make myself a giant pain in the butt as I ask again and again about the viability of getting FP+ since I have the PAP vouchers. If they're going to go down this ridiculous road, we might as well respond by being and even harder to sate customer base.

RSoxNo1

Head to California Grill... If you like filet mignon, albeit at a premium price. You can also catch some rooftop fireworks.
I would much rather pay $40 per person at Ohana. Of course I'm sure we can anticipate that to be changed soon enough.

They've certainly priced me out of Le Cellier, I'm just curious what will be next.

Longhairbear

That is another HUGE concern of Disney. Many DVCers don't have buyers remorse (plenty do, but that's another story). They love their resorts and enjoy vacationing there. But an alarming number have decided to visit WDW as a resort and never set foot in its theme parks or maybe do so for 1-2-3 days of a 10-day or longer vacation. There's a reason why Disney offered PAPs for $399 (or less than what they charge for renewals of regular Charter APs like mine ... meaning my 31 years of loyalty means nothing, but that also is another story) this fall. I predict that number will only grow. And unlike hotel rentals, DVC is largely paid upfront (even if you pay it out, I believe, you do like a car loan, not a mortgage). So having the Burkes from Wakefield, MA visiting Saratoga Springs in a Grand Villa for 10 nights in February means absolutely nothing if they just use it as a vacation home and go to the Space Center and their APs for UNI/IOA and visit the beaches ... maybe try Discovery Cove. The more Disney allows its product to grow stale while the competition spends billions on actual attractions, the more you're going to see DVCers decide to just stay at their resorts.

Only gonna get worse. ... What's next a BOGO AP deal for DVCers?
You are correct in saying we love our resort, actually we love all the DVC Resorts we have been to so far.
I wanted to point out to you that DVC is fashioned to get almost 100% occupancy on any given date. Whether it reaches that goal or not, I have no idea. So if members are going off site, but staying onsite at DVC, Disney is losing.
If Disney ever offered a buy one get one, it is a mute point for us, and maybe for others. Sure we'd get one, if it was less costly than the park hoppers. We no longer go to WDW twice a year. BOGO is useless if it cost more than the days we planned to visit in park on park hoppers in the first place. That's at the point Disney is begging us to stay.

IWant2GoNow

Yep.

He sorta is comparable to Disney in the 1990s. You always gave them the benefit of the doubt because most times they hit the open guy for a 65-yard TD.

Now, Disney is more like say ... the Miami Dolphins ...

They're gonna have a rookie QB (Georgie K.) & see signs of hope while still finishing second in their division?

Sounds possible actually. :)

Lee

Adventurer
They do it in Tokyo-I wonder if they could cram it into the Verandah
Better yet, an MK version of Tahitian Terrace on AL's small expansion plot neat Treehouse.
image.jpg

scpergj

An indoor luau??! That just seems so...wrong.
Yeah...but...

A few times a year (it's Florida, I know, but still, it DOES happen) the show is cancelled because the weather is too cold. I'd guess that it is also occasionally cancelled for rain, but I don't know for sure. Either way, moving it indoors would indeed allow the show to run 365 days a year. Not that I like the idea, but we are talking about Wal-Mart....er, I mean TDO management...

MattM

Sounds like TWDC added NextGen to a different budget. It's like a skunk works project in the world of Disney. I haven't really seen any negativity on the market with $DIS so I guess investors view this cost sunk or really believe in the benefits.

A majority of $DIS investors don't even know what NEXTGEN is. They just see capital expenditures in the P&R Division and assume that it must be bettering the product. Many of $DIS individual investors' are fanbois who just want to own a piece of the company (read: the parks) and know very little about whats going on from an actual business perspective.

MattM

DCL is considering expanding again. Just one ship this time, likely.

I do wonder how that fits with porting all four ships in Florida in 2014, and all doing VERY, VERY, VERY tired itineraries.

Good question on the itineraries. But DCL has become a cash cow, and really puts out a good product too. They can figure out the port/itinerary issue, while still "filling" ships with people complaining about going to the Caribbean again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom