Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

SirLink

Since I always want to be accuate had to drop back in after seeing the menu @wdwmagic has posted here and comparing it with Deb Wills menus from July for both lunch and dinner (at lunch you could get a filet, probaby a tiny one since the dinner one is 8 oz., for the 'low low' price of $27.99). Now. You pay dinner prices, which they raised as well on some items all day and eliminated anything close to only 'over the top' and went for the complete gouge.

Truly unbelievable. These are prices that top steakhouses (not converted buffeterias) command ... or your expense account places like Morton's and Ruth's Chris. $46 for an a la carte steak in a noisy, brat-filled, crowded atmosphere (do they even have table cloths now?)

Disney truly is shooting for the rubes. And from the busines model, looking for a $75 per person per check charge mimimum (not including alcohol and gratuity). Astounding ... more so that people actually are stupid enough (and I do mean that) or have so much money and no better way to spend it (here's an idea: charity is a good place to start and WDW Co is most definitely one of those) that they'll be booking 180 days out. Me? I love me some Longhorn ... or if I really want a fine steak, I'll go to Shula's where at least there's more than three steaks on the menu and I won't have to worry about someone's kids crawling under my feet.

Truly obscene and I can't wait to see people try and defend the Mouse on this one (hint: if you start down that road by trying to teach me economics, you're not gonna like the response).

Now, back to work ... and I'll (hopefully) see you all later today or before the weekend.

Well you did say it would get worse before it gets better Spirit old chum.

wdwfan4ver

Since I always want to be accuate had to drop back in after seeing the menu @wdwmagic has posted here and comparing it with Deb Wills menus from July for both lunch and dinner (at lunch you could get a filet, probaby a tiny one since the dinner one is 8 oz., for the 'low low' price of $27.99). Now. You pay dinner prices, which they raised as well on some items all day and eliminated anything close to only 'over the top' and went for the complete gouge.

Truly unbelievable. These are prices that top steakhouses (not converted buffeterias) command ... or your expense account places like Morton's and Ruth's Chris charge. $46 for an a la carte steak in a noisy, brat-filled, crowded atmosphere (do they even have table cloths now?)?!??!

Disney truly is shooting for the rubes. And from the busines model, looking for a $75 per person per check charge mimimum (not including alcohol and gratuity). Astounding ... more so that people actually are stupid enough (and I do mean that) or have so much money and no better way to spend it (here's an idea: charity is a good place to start and WDW Co is most definitely one of those) that they'll be booking 180 days out. Me? I love me some Longhorn ... or if I really want a fine steak, I'll go to Shula's where at least there's more than three steaks on the menu and I won't have to worry about someone's kids crawling under my feet.

Truly obscene and I can't wait to see people try and defend the Mouse on this one (hint: if you start down that road by trying to teach me economics, you're not gonna like the response).

Now, back to work ... and I'll (hopefully) see you all later today or before the weekend.
I agree with you. In the case of Le Cellier, it is the fact it's on the free Disney Dinning plan. What Le Cellier is doing gives the meaning just because the food is free, that doesn't meant the quality is good. What Disney is doing suckering people into the Disney Dining plan. Disney at times does offers that make that Dinning plan free. I still find some great places on the Dinning plan for free such as Wolfgang Puck Express, but it is not the value as it first was in terms of some places and the size of the food.

flynnibus

Premium Member
N.B. I understand certain sauces like a good red wine sauce would be prepared in advance of opening that day ... put it this way if your chefs can't cook food to order fire them and get some who can...

It's not about 'can't cook to order' - its about turning tables over. It's not a skillset limitation but an operational CHOICE.

Do I agree with it? No - but it's how you get meals out faster.

Again.. understanding something doesn't mean you support it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I understand that, but the steak that was brought in 2 to 3 minutes at Le Cellier actually tasted worse than when it takes longer to receive the medium steak

I understand - but variances in raw goods (as you go on to explain deeper..) is different from their operational mode about prep and staging orders. They may have just aligned for you that day. Certainly you can have variances in raw supplies.. that's also why a lot of people pay a premium for their supplies to minimize that. 'Consistency' is a huge part of 'quality'

In Disney's case.. the long term trend seems to be focusing on throughput and streamlining rather than focusing on quality.

the.dreamfinder

Finally, while I sorta detest the Disney Parks Blog (or at least its purpose), here's a kewl link to the TDR blog. Love those pics:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/blog/130115-2/
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/blog/130107/
TDR gets yet ANOTHER awesome new parade with new floats for it's 30th anniversary.
13010703_450.jpg

michmousefan

SirLink

It's not about 'can't cook to order' - its about turning tables over. It's not a skillset limitation but an operational CHOICE.

Do I agree with it? No - but it's how you get meals out faster.

Again.. understanding something doesn't mean you support it.

For certain kitchens on Disney property I think it is a little more skillset problem...

wdwfan4ver

You know, if they just took the profits from Le Cellier and put them directly back into the Canada pavilion, we could look forward to a kick- flume/water ride, a Calgary Stampede and a grizzly-bear petting zoo in just a few months, I'm guessing...
I agree. I figure there wild be a kick- flume/water ride at least in a few months with the amount of profits Disney gets from Le Cellier. I figure the steak and the portions of food they offer means Le Cellier is get a very good sized profit since the quality of the steak isn't always the best.

Animaniac93-98

Disney truly is shooting for the rubes.

Rubes indeed. I still think the biggest reason for LC's insane popularity with the DDP crowd is that it is the most "American" restaurant in WS and people would rather spend $ or credits on a safe bet meat and potatoes meal than some scary "foreign" place that may actually be easier to get into and cost less.

openendedsky

That is a reflection of you rather than the venue, however delighted to hear you still get satisfaction from the decaying unsupervised crèche that is DisneyQuest.
It's been years, but I enjoy it for what it is. I also go to concerts over at House of Blues much more than Hard Rock. I guess I just like the general vibe at DtD more than CityWalk.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Been busy and not sure if I'll be able to post anything today on the subjects we've been discussing, but I did want to confirm something that has been rumoured on another subject ... and that is that Luau Cove isn't long for existence at the Poly.

I am not to familier with the Poly, but there was just a permit filed for flooring at the Luau Stage. Not sure if this is related.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It's been years, but I enjoy it for what it is. I also go to concerts over at House of Blues much more than Hard Rock. I guess I just like the general vibe at DtD more than CityWalk.

What is this vibe you speak of? Any semblance of fun was stripped out of the place when it became an extension of the Disney Store and PI was sacrificed on the alter of corporate greed. HoB is an oasis in the DtD desert of 3rd rate shopping outlets, a place haunted by wandering hordes of mystified tourists in search of entertainment rather retail over exposure.

openendedsky

What is this vibe you speak of? Any semblance of fun was stripped out of the place when it became an extension of the Disney Store and PI was sacrificed on the alter of corporate greed. HoB is an oasis in the DtD desert of 3rd rate shopping outlets, a place haunted by wandering hordes of mystified tourists in search of entertainment rather retail over exposure.
It's called an opinion

Longhairbear

Been busy and not sure if I'll be able to post anything today on the subjects we've been discussing, but I did want to confirm something that has been rumoured on another subject ... and that is that Luau Cove isn't long for existence at the Poly.

You can figure out for yourself why it would be going and what would be taking its place.

Oh, also not likely news here (never get down to the food board even if I love the stuff!) but Le Cellier has now gone to an all-day menu. So, while I haven't seen it, it's likely safe to say that the 'cheapest' steak on the menu is over $30 a la carte for lunch. Again, only Disney could get away with this ... Disney and its rube fans who don't realize you can get a quality steak by driving 10 minutes to the Longhorn for $11.99 with an actual side item, but alas, one that isn't Pixie Dust.

Finally, while I sorta detest the Disney Parks Blog (or at least its purpose), here's a kewl link to the TDR blog. Love those pics:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/blog/130115-2/

Hope to be back talking NEXT GEN and other stuff as work/life/time permits.
DVC members now at WDW are saying on Facebook that Trader Sam's is coming to the Poly, along with DVC villas.

Kuhio

DVC members now at WDW are saying on Facebook that Trader Sam's is coming to the Poly, along with DVC villas.

Trader Sam's coming to the Poly would be freakin' awesome.

The best part if this ends up happening -- since TS won't be inside a park, guests won't have to pay a steep "cover charge" to have drinks there when they're in town for Transformers, Gringotts, or Empire of the Penguin.
wink.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom