Spiderman 2 *spoilers*

imagineer boy

Ok, I just came back from it and... Holy Crap! This film rocked! It was much better than the first and the fight scenes between oc and Spidey were very well done. Can't wait for spidey 3! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

TURKEY said:
So how did they set up Venom?

They didn't. Spidey is Venom at first. Venom is basically a suit that Peter gets when he goes to some odd planet. The suit is a living thing so it kinda bonds with peter, he ends up getting rid of the suit and it finds its way to a prison where it joins with some con and becomes venom. Thats why in some comics you see spider man in a black costume. There is another Venom-like creature...actually it was the Con's cellmate, who somehow is absorbed by some other suit...pretty much way more evil than venom, and I believe more powerful than spidey.

On another note, saw the movie tonight... :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

GaryT977

Fan-Freaking-Tastic movie! Two lines keep recurring in my head:

"He's so young! I have a son about that age!" from the subway scene.
"What happened to my comics?" from the moving scene.

The comics line, does that set something up for the next sequel?

MKCustodial

After reading this thread, and all the reviews out there, I think I may have seen a different movie. Man, I REALLY wanna say I loved it, that it rocked my world, but I just can't. I guesse I went in expecting WAY too much, and it just wasn't there. I mean, the movie is great, but Raimi kept saying how he was even MORE faithful to the character's comic roots in this one, and he just wasn't!
Seriously, they need to stop hiring "known" actors to play lead super-heroes, it's getting ridiculous. Was it on Tobey's contract that he HAD to show his face the whole time? If we have 10 Spidey sequences, Parker's face is showing in 8 of them. The train sequence was awesome, untill he got his mask off and started chatting with people. And after he stops the train, that's just cheesy, how New Yorkers once again unite to save Spidey. Last time was in wake of 9/11, what is it this time? "We won't tell nobody." Geez, he might as well start a page, ParkerisSpidey.com.

Sorry had to vent.

Now, on a more constructive note, I'll actually elucidate. Please bear with the comic geek:

- Some stuff bothers me since the first one, but they're acceptable, being a movie adaptation and all. Mainly, the organic web-shooters that produce bungee-jump webbing that is so weak (compared to its comic counterpart) it can't even hold a cable car. The way Spidey catches Aunt May in this movie? Yeah, that's how Gwen Stacy got killed. And she was a teenager. But yeah, an old lady can handle it because, like I said before, it's bungee-jump webbing. And also his spider-sense, I think it only works once in the movie. I'm kinda blaming that on the whole power short-circuit storyline, but I've never seem Pete stumble around so much after he got his powers.

- I could also very well live with the fact that they took Doc Ock, who was one smug, pompous cientist and turned him into Uncle Ben 2. Seriously, Ock didn't die, but he can't really come back as a villain because he "redeemed" at the end. :rolleyes: And that whole neural chip bit was really stupid. He talks to the tentacles? Sigh...
On this same line, I hope they set Harry for Hobgoblin, although cannon orders GG 2. But I guess we all agree that, if Dafoe was stupid as a Power Ranger reject, Franco will be 10 times worse. So here's hoping they do a little costume tweaking.
And Dan, I also kept thinking we'll see 2 villains this time, even though Raimi has opted twice not to do it. We've had the Lizard, Man-Wolf, Hobgoblin (or GG 2) and Venom (if you count that Brock was mentioned, not seen, in the first one). Of course, there's also the possibility they could bring in a stray, like Electro, the Vulture or Sandman, who happens to be one of Raimi's favorites. But the fact that Connors mentioned he's a friend of Octavius means he can get a hold of some of his technology to help in his own experiments, so it's more certain the Lizard and a Goblin.

- And finally, my main problem with Spider-Man 2. Or the only one, really, because, although it doesn't seem like it, I enjoyed the movie. I just wanted to love it like verybody else did, but this last point spoiled it for me. Raimi nailed the whole Peter Parker/Spider-Man thing with perfection, especially because he's a fan. But he still needs to do more work on Spidey. Where are the one-every-nanosecond jokes he splurts off at bad guys? Why can't Spidey win one fight? He only beats thugs. Not once he wins over Gobby or Ock. Even Aunt May clobbered Ock, but both of them managed to do themselves away. I don't know, it's weird. Likewise, Tobey is an amazing Peter Parker. But he just can't do Spidey. The suit helps a lot, he seems so uncomfortable in that thing, the mask looks like a helmet. And he keeps showing his FACE! We know it's him, his name is in the credits AND he has all the Parker scenes. He falls into an alley, off comes the mask. Really, was it necessary to let half the city know who he was? Did he HAVE to show himself to Ock? I know eventually both Harry and MJ find out who he is, but both find out on their own. With Harry, I was expecting for him to get up and say something along the lines of: "Gee, Octavius came after me asking for Spidey, I said I didn't know where he was, so he knocked me out and dressed me uplike this." But no, he had to do show himself. So MJ also knows, she decides to stay with him, but they already show in her face signs of doubt. So in the next movie we're gonna get the old "every time you go out, I worry you won't come back. I can't deal with it". Cause they're not gonna get married in the third one, right?

Ok, I'm done. Sorry. But I had to get it out.

Really, that train car scene was worse than the "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!" scene. They even had a white, a blcak and a chinese hold him so he didn't fall, to show that close shot of "different people helping out", different hands and color of hands, and than the passing of the body... Sigh.

Sorry. Really, I'm done.

GaryT977

Well, there's isn't any kind of artistic endeavour that will please everybody, especially movies that are adaptations of beloved characters. Just look how badly they managed to destroy Batman, especially after a promising start (I know there was carping about Michael Keaton. I thought he was great).

Anyway, if I can address a few of your complaints:

Mask removal: I was suprised how often the mask came off as well. However, most of the complaints from the first movie centered around the masks of the two main characters and their lack of emotive abilities. It looks like they tried to address that. Also, I think he took his mask off in front of Doc Oc to try and talk him into helping him shut the machine down, which made sense, considering they were intially freinds. I had no problem with that. My only complaint is that now that Harry knows, why doesn't Peter explain that he didn't kill Harry's father?

Train: Obviously, this is opinion, and I can see where some people might think it's hokey. I thought it fit perfectly with the rest of the movie, and the other little touches, like the fade out when he throws out the costume that left just the eyes showing, or the little woman singing the Spider Man song. I just thought it fit very well, IMHO.

Witty: I'm not sure why they don't have Spidey being as vocal during battle as he is in the comics. I would guess that in the comics, there really aren't any sound effects, while there are pretty loud ones in the movies. Maybe they just didn't want to have Spidey trying to shout witticisms over the explosions. Personally, I prefer it that way. I've heard enough Arnold style cliches to last a lifetime.

t3techcom18

I LOVED the movie! I saw it with some friends, and they liked it also! I love every bit of it, including the ending(even though I knew *SPOILER* That Harry would tun into HobGoblin, but they used it in a way that I never thought of of, and I REALLY liked how they set up that. Now, in the next posts, I need to clear some stuff up. :animwink: :wave:

SpongeScott

Just got back--better than the first.

I think sometimes we're a little too critical of movies. They are they for entertainment purposes and writers will take artistic license with these things. Just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Looking forward to #3.

t3techcom18

A Little Explanation

MKCustodial said:
I could also very well live with the fact that they took Doc Ock, who was one smug, pompous cientist and turned him into Uncle Ben 2. Seriously, Ock didn't die, but he can't really come back as a villain because he "redeemed" at the end. :rolleyes: And that whole neural chip bit was really stupid. He talks to the tentacles? Sigh...

For the first figure here: Doc Ock DID die, and at the end, he did NOT go back to the evil side. BEFORE he helped Spidey, y: "I don't want to die a beast.", which he says as the last metal supports under the sun magnetizing everything, and dumps it into the river.

Now, the neural chip situation: Listen to the question the lady says before the demonstration: "Well, what happens if the arms develop thoughts by themselves?"-The Lady 'Well, that's why I have an neural inhibiter chip, which prevents the arms from going on their on their own thoughts."-Dr. Octavious O This is a bit of a philiosophical question: CAN AI (Artificial Intelligence) Have their own thoughts? Feelings? These are things that scientists are now thinking about. Think the Terminator movies: Skynet, a computer satelite network, according to T3, launched a virus against the world's military, making the military think that the thing has a problem in the system, when actually, it destroyed all the communications of the world, allowing Skynet to be the only satelite network in space, hence the launching of the nuclear missiles. Another movie, 'I, Robot', has the same premise. Can a robot commit murder? Can it think for itself? Will it consider humanity as a threat to seek total perfection? Another movie, even though it does not have robots, is 'Jurassic Park'. What does the character of Dr. Ian Malcolm says? He says things about a chaos theory. Chaos theory is when you try to keep something that needs it owns space, and not to be controlled by others(This case, people). It means that you cannot control life. At one pint, life will break out from it's cage, and start to seek the world around it, and it will seek to control the whole world, eliminating every killing every threat that wishes to harm it's primary mission. I hope this helps, and this is not meant to start any arguements. This is just an explanation. :animwink: :wave:

The_CEO

MKCustodial said:
AND he has all the Parker scenes. He falls into an alley, off comes the mask. Really, was it necessary to let half the city know who he was?

Your forgetting something MK, no one took his picture or mentioned he WAS Pete Parker.

t3techcom18

MKCustodial said:
- And he keeps showing his FACE! We know it's him, his name is in the credits AND he has all the Parker scenes. He falls into an alley, off comes the mask. Really, was it necessary to let half the city know who he was? Did he HAVE to show himself to Ock? I know eventually both Harry and MJ find out who he is, but both find out on their own. With Harry, I was expecting for him to get up and say something along the lines of: "Gee, Octavius came after me asking for Spidey, I said I didn't know where he was, so he knocked me out and dressed me uplike this." But no, he had to do show himself. So MJ also knows, she decides to stay with him, but they already show in her face signs of doubt. So in the next movie we're gonna get the old "every time you go out, I worry you won't come back. I can't deal with it". Cause they're not gonna get married in the third one, right?

To settle the whole mask thing, the purpose in the alley, was because he can't take it anymore, of that his personal life(as Peter Parker), gets in the way of his superhero life, and he doesn't want to do his superhero job, hence when he throws the Spider-Man suit job in the trashcan.

Peter's phone call to MJ: Because he does not want MJ to get hurt when any of bad guys go after Spider-Man, and they know his girlfriend, which is what(technically) happens in the Deli scene.

t3techcom18

MKCustodial said:
Really, that train car scene was worse than the "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!" scene. They even had a white, a blcak and a chinese hold him so he didn't fall, to show that close shot of "different people helping out", different hands and color of hands, and than the passing of the body... Sigh.

When Spidey took off the mask, everyone was amazedthat Spider-Man, was just this 23 year old, that looked just like one of them. There were simply in shock that it was one of they're own, it wasn't a person who actually a spider, but No, it was a regular, young person. And, so, they felt bad, and they told of they won't tell anyone of who Spider-Man actually is.

Now, to settle the whole The Lizard situation. Watch this relation of events:
Dr. Curt Connors-Knows Dr. Otto Octavious, aka Doc Ock-Who Peter Parker(Spidey) is writing a science paper on fusion for Dr. Connors-Which Peter Parker turns to Harry Osborn, as Dr. Octavious is working for him on the fusion technology-Which Harry invites Peter to attend the demonstration the next evening-Which is the demonstration that urns Dr. Octavious into Doc Ock. That's all I need to say now. :animwink: :wave:

FutureCEO

SpongeScott said:
I think sometimes we're a little too critical of movies. They are they for entertainment purposes and writers will take artistic license with these things. Just sit back and enjoy the ride!
QUOTE]

Exactly. Same thing for a certain company and its theme parks

MerHearted

Harry becomes the second Green Goblin. I'm pretty sure the Hobgoblin is a completely different person.

What makes me curious is who the 3rd villain will be. The Green Goblin will be back but I get the feeling that a second villain will also play a part in the 3rd movie. The first movie acted as the introduction. The 2nd concentrated on Peter's inner struggle. Beyond fighting the villains, I'm not sure what the 3rd could be about. I was thinking maybe Peter's struggle with the Venom symbiote costume, but the Venom story deserves a whole movie by itself, not to be mixed with the Green Goblin. Has Eddie Brock even been in the films yet? I haven't noticed. So I'm guessing maybe a secondary villain, maybe Electro, Lizard, Shocker, who knows. I don't think it can be a major villain though. The 3rd feud will concentrate on Peter vs Harry, so it can't be overshadowed by a major villain like Venom.

CaptainMichael

The movie was great. Before the movies, I knew nothing about Spider-man. The movies are very easy to follow and entertaining. I can't wait to see Spider-Man 3!!!!!!!!!!!

CrashNet

I'm still a little lost. I read how the Lizard came to be in an earlier post, but he didn't answer the question of how the Lizard was setup in the movie itself. I don't remember any part of the movie that could have setup the lizard, especially if there wasn't a Dr. Conners in it. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :p

Wilt Dasney

cac2889 said:
I'm still a little lost. I read how the Lizard came to be in an earlier post, but he didn't answer the question of how the Lizard was setup in the movie itself. I don't remember any part of the movie that could have setup the lizard, especially if there wasn't a Dr. Conners in it. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :p

Dr. Connors is Peter's college professor in the movie, and, as he informs Pete at one point, a personal friend of Dr. Octavius.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom